• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 23 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:46 PM

Hello All,

I love this chassis and wanted to see if anyone would like to share their builds.

Here is one of mine: X-5 "Kite"

I use it for skirmishing, kiting, and drawing fire. I chain fire my LRMs so I get a steady, non stop stream of missiles, making the 2 tube launchers worth their weight in gold. This occupies enemy AMS, and the constant stream of missiles feels a lot more threatening than it actually is. I am usually successful in steering the enemy's focus away from my team mates.

If they don't have AMS, this build does have moderate damage output. I have been able to kite heavies and assaults to death (once with no assistance :unsure:), but you are useless against anything that can catch up.

--------------------

Here is another: X-5 "Spike"

Pretty straight forward. Fast scout w/ Medium Lasers, TAG, and double SSRM launchers.

Edited by sn4tchbuck13r, 20 February 2014 - 03:38 PM.

#2 jper4

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:05 PM

xl330 engine, 4ML 2 SSRMs on chainfire and 1 ton of ammo, think i have AMS on it too. pretty much hit or miss on how well i do with it, tends to be a bit hot.

did have one epicly lucky game today though 5 kills 440 dmg. kept turning around and seeing damaged lights in front of me, killed a couple firestarters, a spider(!) and a jenner then the surviving friendly LRM stalker and i took out the last cent on the other side after i swept the remaining leg off it. but also have the majority of my matches where it's under 200dmg and 0 kills though. still going through basics though so hopefully i can get more consistent with it as i get more things unlocked.

#3 Rumrunner711

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:24 PM

My current X-5 build: LINK
It's 3 MPLs, 2 SSRMs + 2 ammo, TAG, BAP, XL300 and max armor.
Also using Adv. Sensor module with it.

Set it up for a recon/mess with enemy ECM build + moderate damage.
Fun so far.

#4 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:46 PM

My build is pretty standard. This, or something very like it.

View PostTanar, on 20 February 2014 - 08:05 PM, said:

think i have AMS on it too

The X-5 is the only mech so far that cannot take an AMS.

#5 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:48 AM

I run my X-5 in two different configs:

Hunter/Killer

4xML, 2xSSRM2 (2tons ammo), XL340 with 12DHS - plain and simple. Have to say this loadout was made before the streak nerf. Today I'd take normal srms maybe but it is still fun with streaks to hunt locusts.

Scout

As the name says, Narc (2tons ammo), tag, 3xML, XL340, 10 DHS and a BAP

Pure support for LRM boats, I wouldn't dare to take this out solo and hope for a boat... but in a coordinated team with 2 or 3 lurmies this is great fun. If you drop the BAP and half a ton of armor from the arms you can easily swap between both loadouts as the Narc is 3 tons like the streak launchers.

Neer bothered with LRMs or a smaller engine. You can get away with an XL300 in the other Cicadas but in the X-5... you really need that speed here, especially if you go the scoute route.

#6 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:30 AM

View PostLevi Porphyrogenitus, on 20 February 2014 - 08:46 PM, said:

My build is pretty standard. This, or something very like it.

The X-5 is the only mech so far that cannot take an AMS.

ah yes you are correct- was thinking of the 2A- been switching between them a lot of late trying to get through the basics, i got them mixed up.

#7 Naranak

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 23 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:59 AM

After several weeks of experimenting, and obtaining all of my skills, I have finally settled on a build.

X-5 Scout Sniper
  • 2x ER Large Lasers + Advanced Zoom for long range fire support.
  • BAP + Sensor Range module for scouting and targeting.
  • Fastest possible engine + speed tweek gives me 151.5 KPH max. Makes it very handy for getting into position and re-positioning once I have been noticed.
I find this build to be the most effective of the ones I have tried so far. It is also pretty damn funny when an assault tries to alpha you right after you duck behind a hill or wall ^_^

#8 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:39 AM

300XL is a must as it gives you enough speed for what you are (you are NOT a 150kph skirmisher, you're a 135kph Light killer)

Option A - 1 ER Lrg, 3 Mds, 2 Streaks w/ 2 tons of ammo, BAP (some armor has to be peeled off to get the 3rd Md laser in there)
Option B - 1 ER Lrg, 3 Mds, NARC w/ 2 tons of ammo

Any extra weight goes towards DHSs. Drive and enjoy.

#9 white0Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Participant
  • 577 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:35 AM

The X5 is one of my favorite Mechs :(

X-5-Lighthunter

Posted Image

The close combat Brawler, i play it a long time but the Hit Detection of the SRM's is bad and I change to Streaks.

X5-BrawlCic

Edited by white0Fox, 19 April 2014 - 02:36 AM.

#10 kesuga7

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:54 PM

140 kph - 13 doubles - 250 armour
4 medium lasers
2 SRM 4 - 200 srm ammo

could take out a heatsink for 300 srm ammo or go 135 kph for another tonn of ammo
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1c0b08f2b398bad

************************************************************************************************************************
Heres 4 mid pulse at 140 kph with 15 doubles
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0d14a986f230f1c

or 135.9 kph with 16 doubles and 4 mid pulse
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7374458d4496a9a

do note i havn't been cockpited by anything that wasn't a airstrike or arty for a long time
however that was in my slower gausscada where i couldn't run out of its range quickly enough

cicada's are really dam rare to be cockpited from what iv seen

Edited by kesuga7, 24 April 2014 - 12:14 AM.

#11 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:14 AM

The wub wub

I found this build extremely good once i got the speed tweak,almost impossible to overheat it,i run it as a fast fire support for another mechs and it can chew laser chickens and lolcusts for breakfast if you can aim.

Switch for PPC:s if that is your thing.

#12 Samziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seraph
  • The Seraph
  • 494 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:19 AM

I played the X-5 until I got my 3M. Now I rather play 3M.

But I think I used 4xML, 2xSRM4 and XL330.

Edited by Samziel, 24 April 2014 - 04:19 AM.

#13 SacredSilence

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:18 AM

Run 1x ER PPC and 1x LRM 5 + BAP + 330 xl on this.
The LRM are for annoyance and confusion, not serious damage as mentioned with the kite loadout ( an that one has two), but i just love when lights come chase you thinking I'm running reg PPC and am useless within 90 meters, only to find out they get toasted.

(am new to mwo/ 1 month of 1 hour per day avg play an get frequent 300 damage+ results and lots of kill assists. It's the only mech I enjoy every time I play it. Cant wait to elite the cicada though :P

Whish the panther would come to mwo though. Love that one.

The wub wub mentioned above is one I think I'll try too, thanks for the info. Though firing ppc is less traceble and would require less relocation from firing nets

Edited by SacredSilence, 04 May 2014 - 12:54 AM.

#14 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:52 PM

View PostSacredSilence, on 04 May 2014 - 12:18 AM, said:

Though firing ppc is less traceble and would require less relocation from firing nets

True,but you are pretty much hopeless against a good light pilot with ER PPC:s.
Like i said in my post,don`t use it as a sniper,but fire support for mediums and heavies,that 21 point damage helps your teammate nicely.And if your teams forces are split up to two groups,you can work as a firebrigade of sorts,trying to help them both.

Works also nicely while brawling with heavies,my most memorable kills with this build were two pogojumping meta-victors in city in Crimson Straits.Just keep moving and situational awareness at maximum and dont push the poor thing too hard.

Edited by Cookiemonter669, 04 May 2014 - 06:52 PM.

#15 SacredSilence

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:09 AM

View PostCookiemonter669, on 04 May 2014 - 06:52 PM, said:

Like i said in my post,don`t use it as a sniper,but fire support.

Srry, read past that :) think I'll try out that build of yours, though think I'm not skilled enough to run it effectively. Still I can annoy the hell out of enough heavys and assaults before they'll achieve the kll if I'm fast. Also found that xl's in the cda don't change a thing opposed to std eng. Well you geta better load out thats for sure.

#16 Salinor

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:54 PM

My favorite is xl 275 143 armour and 4 large lasers

#17 Tiger Shark

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 94 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:49 PM

I am a big Cicada fan and took the opportunity to buy the X-5 during the sale.
I usually play the 3M (1LPL+3ML) and 2A (6ML), but do terrible in the X-5 in 4ML+2SRM2 or 4ML+2SSRM2 configuration.

What sort of play style have you found success with in the X-5?

#18 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:50 PM

View PostTiger Shark, on 09 May 2014 - 08:49 PM, said:

I am a big Cicada fan and took the opportunity to buy the X-5 during the sale.
I usually play the 3M (1LPL+3ML) and 2A (6ML), but do terrible in the X-5 in 4ML+2SRM2 or 4ML+2SSRM2 configuration.

What sort of play style have you found success with in the X-5?

Mainly flanking and fire support for rest of the team,being the firebrigade if the friendly forces split up.
Also,using non-ECM cicada as a sniper will get you killed very easily.
2 streaks is just not enough for good squirrel chaser,and BAP gets nullified way too easily if you get swarmed by ecm-deathsnails or spiders.

But it always comes down to taste,said the dog and licked his family jewels

#19 Smokeyjedi

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:08 PM

View Postsn4tchbuck13r, on 19 March 2014 - 06:59 AM, said:

After several weeks of experimenting, and obtaining all of my skills, I have finally settled on a build.

X-5 Scout Sniper
  • 2x ER Large Lasers + Advanced Zoom for long range fire support.
  • BAP + Sensor Range module for scouting and targeting.
  • Fastest possible engine + speed tweek gives me 151.5 KPH max. Makes it very handy for getting into position and re-positioning once I have been noticed.
I find this build to be the most effective of the ones I have tried so far. It is also pretty damn funny when an assault tries to alpha you right after you duck behind a hill or wall B)

beat me to it........441 damage 4 kills 5 assists.......very first drop after purchase........beat the damage score but not kills.....yet.....

#20 roscle

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:41 PM

In my mind, THIS is the seminal X-5 build. 4MPLS and an XL330 with almost max armor. It was great before the recent massive tweak overhaul, its even more disgusting with the energy range tweak. You go super fast, and can do a surprising amount of damage with this thing. I've had higher damage games in this mech, than any other mech I've played. You have to serpentine like hell, be smart with your engagements, and pick your target's weaknesses wisely, but if you can pull it off, I feel its one of the most powerful, underrated, and under utilized mechs in the game. Sure the srms can be pretty potent and net you some kills, but if you can aim, you're going to flat out do better with 4MPLS I feel. I feel pretty lonely out there in my X-5. I really haven't seen very many in all my time playing, and even fewer(none) that run this build. 143 kph with speed tweak is more than enough, its much faster than a lot of lights even without speed tweak. I would rather take the XL330 and more armor than an XL340. If you want you can, of course, take armor out of the legs instead of the arms like I did, might be smarter, even the head instead of arms, but since you're pretty much a CRT TV with legs, people tend to aim for your center mass, or your legs, and with this mech, your mobility is your bread and butter. Oh, and MPL range module is highly, highly recommended. You can get away without it, since the new tweaks are so savage, but you will notice a significant increase in damage with the module, at least I did.

My whole thought process behind the MPL vs ML on this mech, I would say, is the way it affects the way you pilot the mech. With MLs, I feel, it forces you to face your target much longer than you really want to, especially with something that can potentially melt/get cored very quickly. With MPLs, you're able to circle and serpentine, peak and prod, very quickly and very efficiently with a minimal "vulnerability" time. I hope that makes sense. This mech is much better suited to guerrilla type warfare than brawling, which I feel the ML/SRM build kind of forces you to do to a certain extent. I mean this is all just personal experience. I find it hard to use those MLs to their full damage ability while running at max speed and ducking and diving in and out of combat, so to speak.

I also think of your strengths is that you're going to be underestimated, and its always to your enemy's folly. This is my favorite mech in the game, and I truly appreciate PGI not ruining it with tweak changes, but in fact making it that much better when it was already pretty awesome. I hope this helps some X-5 owners, and I hope it encourages them to dust it off, take it down from the shelf, and pilot it so I can see them on the battlefield. I'm never one to toot my own horn, but you're doing yourself and this mech a disservice if you don't at least give this build a fair chance.(Unless you truly are all about sniping people, in which case I don't envy you and you should probably play a better sniper mech, maybe something with ecm) Tell 'Em Steve Dave.

Here's some good cicada type discussion, hope its not too redundant, though I know some of it really is.

Edited by roscle, 21 December 2015 - 06:28 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users