#1 Thoughtfulwander01

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 48 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:45 PM

Hello All,

What would be your next purchase if you liked the long range hard hitting type of mech? How would you load it out? This might have been discussed before but since I am new please don't fill me full of hot lead and send me packing. :)

Thanks for the information,
TW

#2 vipershark0

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:23 PM

HGN-733C "Horrible Person"
Poptarts awaaaaay.

#3 MayGay

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 304 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:23 PM

Well there are many options

If you like the medium to long range direct fire role then

Orion 1K
2x PPC
1x AC/5
2x Medium laser

You'll need an XL 300 engine and as many double heat sinks and as much armour as you can get. This makes a rather mobile hard hitting machine and with the standard PPCs you can do a lot of damage before you need to worry about heat. You could swap the PPCs for ERPPCs for increased range and no minimum range, but that will cause some heat problems, you could also swap the AC/5 for a UAC/5. This build is very forgiving, and the chassis has 2 more missile slots if you prefer LRMs to the AC.

Or

Misery
whatever engine comes with it
3x Medium lasers
2x ER PPCs or PPCs
1x Gauss Rifle

that is 35 damage and the ability to protect yourself from fast hard to hit enemies

or

Awesome 8Q with DHS and a 4th PPC, the 8Q and 9Q (4 PPC, 1 Slaser, 1 ECM) are 2 of the only 'mechs I can't improve much on in the TT, in MWO, fire 2 at a time to avoid shut downs and DO NOT put an XL engine in it, this is what we call a zombie, slow and you have to shoot it to pieces to kill it, just watch for roving bands of lights (we need to be able to kick for that reason)

GaussCat/Jag

Either the K2 or pick your favourite Jagermech with 2 Gauss Rifles, there are many builds for this most likely better than mine so I recommend looking them up

Or

Any 3+ ac/5, Uac/5, combination dual AC/5 and dual AC/2 Jagermech, again I fail at building these

Or

Heavy Metal with 2x ERPPCs, 2 AC/5s, and 2 SSRM 2s with BAP, this served me well for a long time, cannot remember the exact build

Or

Any number of 2x PPC thunderbolt builds, I had success with one, but I really am not a fan of the Bolt

Or if you are more for LRM support, the champion Stalker is great, but you could also use a Catapult build for more mobility. The Battlemaster 4S also makes a great missile boat. While I have been known to run boats, they are usually not assaults, my only advice I can offer is to have at least some short range weapons, no LRM only builds unless you have a really good group who'll support you, otherwise you are some lights free lunch.

#4 vipershark0

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:35 PM

View PostJames Griffin, on 20 February 2014 - 07:23 PM, said:

Some decent builds.

All pale in comparison to the mighty CDA-3M Gauss 'Cada. Don't use Awesomes unless you are feeling masochistic.

Edit: have a picture of my glorious stats with my humble 'CadaPosted Image

Edit2: Have you considered a LRM skirmisher? I have a pretty nasty GRF-3M Long and Far skirmisher, when you figure it out you can rack up some serious damage.

Edited by vipershark0, 20 February 2014 - 07:56 PM.

#5 MayGay

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 304 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:14 PM

I do pretty well with an improved version of the Griffin, just faster with an ERPPC and more LRMs

And I applaud you on your successful construction of a Hollander

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Hollander

#6 Thoughtfulwander01

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 48 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:03 AM

Greetings guys,

Thanks for the helpful information. It is greatly appreciated.

Ay others with additional insight would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
TW

#7 Julian Langsdorf III

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:53 AM

I don't know what you already have... but I really enjoy my Shadow Hawk. Its a -5M carrying 2 AC-5s on the left shoulder and 2 medium lasers on the right arm. Had to reduce the jump jets to 3.

I like to get to a good vantage point and just hammer away with those AC-5s at long range. I have few heat problems so I can fire continuously. Often I'm shooting technically outside of max weapons range, but still inflicting some damage. I carry enough ammo that its worth it and really pisses them off.

Edited by Julian Langsdorf III, 22 February 2014 - 11:53 AM.

#8 StormDll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:23 PM

View PostJames Griffin, on 20 February 2014 - 09:14 PM, said:

I do pretty well with an improved version of the Griffin, just faster with an ERPPC and more LRMs

And I applaud you on your successful construction of a Hollander

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Hollander

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5b946e827d4cace
Hollander?))
35 tons
JJ
Gauss

#9 Thoughtfulwander01

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 48 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:54 AM

Very nice suggestions guys I will try to figure out what I can afford. Gotta save up those c-bills :(. Thanks everyone for the insight.

#10 Mazzyplz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:56 AM

i can recommend the awesome, it's exactly long ranged and hard hitting if you fit it right.

#11 Timuroslav

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunsho-ni
  • Gunsho-ni
  • 672 posts
  • Location米国のネバダ州のリノで住んでいます。

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:48 AM

View Postvipershark0, on 20 February 2014 - 07:23 PM, said:

HGN-733C "Horrible Person"
Poptarts awaaaaay.

Rofl my Waffle, We call those Alpha-Landers :(

If you want long Range Direct-fire Artillery Mechs:
Flak5 /Quad Ac5 Jager DD
or
Jager DD with Double AC 10

If you want Mobility Armor Indirect & Direct Fire Artillery Mech
Awesome, just pick one they both have Indirect and Direct Artillery Function

If you want Durability, and Indirect Fire & DirectCapability:
Orion
Highlanders
Awesome

Also Highlanders are for Hybrid builds that don't emphasize a Strength, but if you want to be a missile boat or a PPC Machine Awesome is the way to go.

Edited by Timuroslav, 24 February 2014 - 08:54 AM.

#12 Wo0t

• PipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 51 posts
  • LocationHere, there, everwhere!

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:28 AM

I think a lot depends on your play style and the size of mech you feel comfortable with. I usually play heavy/assault mechs, but dabble occasionally with mediums and lights. I also focus more on medium to close attack range builds. Recently I decided to try a new build that I have found to be extremely effective and it is actually meant for long range and packs a lot of punch when cycling the weapons appropriately.

Battlemaster Fire Support
BLR-1G

I also have an Ilya Muromets build that is my main battlemech and have the most hours logged in it with over 2.00 KDR. I really encourage you to look into this mech as it is amazing at long range damage and sniping.

Cheers!

#13 Hawk819

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,624 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:12 AM

According to Bryan [Ekman] the next `Mech is a medium. I hope it's the Enforcer. :(

#14 Thoughtfulwander01

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 48 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:15 AM

I purchased a Stalker 3m. And I am building it out with only lights and short range missles to see how it plays. Wanted to see how the Stalker did in a close up punching match. :) been getting beat a lot lol but it is fun to run up and hit tem hard and keep hitting them as they unload everything they have on you lol. Thanks for all the information any more helpful tips or suggestions would be welcome.

See you on the field of honor,
TW

#15 Hannibal Chow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 143 posts
  • LocationGibson FWL

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:48 AM

Anything ...... provided its a Spider! :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users