#1 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:01 PM

I think we can all agree that Banshee is officially the weirdest Assault so far in terms of hardpoint distribution, so let's just go balls to the walls with this one.

3E: XL400, 18DHS, Endo-Steel, 4xAC2(5ton), 4xML, because CHOO CHOO MOTHERF**KERS. But in all seriousness, 18 double heatsinks should totally be able to handle the heat load. Or, STD350, 12DHS, Endo-Steel, 3xAC5(6ton), 4xML. Because meta.

3M: STD375, 19DHS, Endo-Steel, 2xPPC, 5xML. NIPPLE LASERS B*TCH! Regardless, I'm interested in how it performs with a massive STD engine.

3S: STD325, 17DHS, Endo-Steel, 1xPPC, 1xAC20(3ton), 6xML, AMS. Ditched the missile hardpoint because one missile launcher is mostly useless, and also ditched one energy hardpoint to avoid ghost heat. I feel like I'm gonna like this one.

LM: It's boring. Probably the most boring Banshee among all. I'm gonna avoid this one.

But I feel very likely to dive into Banshee simply because they're so weird. I like weird stuff.

Edited by Helmstif, 04 March 2014 - 02:03 PM.

#2 Adrian Brandt

Rookie

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:14 PM

Well, the AMS in the CT is definitely weird :)

Nice builds, especially the 3S I wanted to go for something similar but with an AC10 and a tad more speed.

#3 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:17 PM

Interesting!

The ballistic one looks competitive, despite lack of jump-jets, just because of the ability to put incredible dakka on an assault mech.

The mixed, all around one - ballistic, missile, and energy - seems decent, though an Atlas is still better in most cases, aside from speed and possible hitbox differences.

The all energy one looks painful to use. Ugh... ghost heat. Part of me can't help but think it should have a TAG on there in one of those energy slots just to get extra XP and Cbill bonuses from tagging things. I have serious doubts anyone is going to keep the all-energy version anyway. It's like a 95-ton Awesome 8Q, though maybe with better durability.

#4 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:36 PM

Personally, I like the hard points on the Banshee so far. I'm not sure if I'm going to pursue them at all though, I'm really bad in most Assault mechs. (Exception being the Stalker.)

I see the 3E ( http://mwo.smurfy-ne...93ade10a3cc1f63 ) as a close in bruiser. Use the 2 Large Pulse and 2 med lasers are for punching through the armor, and the 4 ballistice hard points for MGs, to take any pieces with no armor away fast. (Might exchange the pulse of ER, if range becomes an issue. 41% cooling looks fairly cool, but I'd have to play it to find out.

The 3M ( http://mwo.smurfy-ne...11334ee5177f01c ) is kinda my odd duck in the bunch. All energy is rather limiting with such a large chassis. I took 2 ER large to some range, and have 6 med lasers for serious close in punch. The concept is to use only one weapon group in it's range band, but you can still burst the larges for extra damage when push comes to shove. 31% cooling seems like it may run a little hot at times...

The 3S ( http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7b8cb758cfc902b ) is the oddest of the bunch if you ask me. It's got such a spread of weapon hard points, yet can't really boat in anything (except lasers). I think this is a good thing, though I would have preferred one more missile point personally. I set mine up like my Battlemaster 1G(P) and Shadowhawk 2H(P). I find it to be fairly effective for them, so this would just be a larger, bigger brother to them. I find that the Large Laser and the AC5 share very similar ranges to the TAG system. The LRMs are so I can always be able to fight, even when out of line of sight. Best going for moderate range, direct line of sight. I think this mech will have the armor to be able to sustain these kinds of fights probably a little better than my Shadowhawk. Weapon placement is going to be what determines the effectiveness of this build.

Overall, I think the Banshee looks to be a good, well rounded, assault. It can go fast if one wishes, giving the Battlemaster and Awesome (and Victor) some competition as the Fast Assault. All we need to know now is weapon placement, and hit box layout...

PS: Personally, I thought the Battlemaster was a strange assault. The Banshee seems like a nice assault with decent hardpoints. I still can't figure out what to do with some of my Battlemasters... :)

#5 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:39 PM

View PostAdrian Brandt, on 04 March 2014 - 02:14 PM, said:

Well, the AMS in the CT is definitely weird :)

Nice builds, especially the 3S I wanted to go for something similar but with an AC10 and a tad more speed.

Ya you can max standard engine and still use a AC20 wit hexactly the same energy weapons, its a brutal looking build!

#6 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:39 PM

One thing that crossed my mind - since most Banshees lack arm-mounted weapons, they will work as a decent Champion Trial Assault mech for new players. Since Arm-Lock is turned on by default, but nearly all the weapons are torso-mounted, not much will be lost with the Arm-Lock turned on, for whatever that is worth.

#7 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:57 PM

Helm,

Your 3e build left a sink out of the more efficient engine slot, I transferred one there and then moved all of that crit happy ammo into the side torsos where it will at least have the benefit of some protection via the 3 crit DHS vs insta critting and sympathetically blowing out the XL. Other than those adjustments it seems to be a fine build and something I'd likely do should I choose to grab one in two weeks. You might even slightly shave legs and arms to sneak in an ams (might be necessary)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...14c757affb200c3

*edit* Thought a bit about my Wubmaster build and had another look at the engine numbers and just as in my 1G I do not support the use of a 400. The 385 only loses a negligible 3 kph and one 2.0 cooling slot to the larger engine but gains quite a bit of free tonnage. Enough in fact to add AMS, another sink, and much more armor for center, shield arms, and legs.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f2eac0a9416863f

3m is one of those awesome style wierdos where std sinks can be boated to dhs levels of efficiency, this might be a good option if one chose to grind her as opposed to keep her. Honestly id consider the same for the S. Save 3 mill!

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d692290d4c6cd35

Edited by Khajja nar Jatargk, 04 March 2014 - 03:17 PM.

#8 Parappaman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:45 PM

Only the first 10 internal double heat sinks have 2.0 efficiency, the ones you add internally have the same 1.4 efficiency as the ones you mount outside the engine.

#9 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:00 PM

View PostParappaman, on 04 March 2014 - 03:45 PM, said:

Only the first 10 internal double heat sinks have 2.0 efficiency, the ones you add internally have the same 1.4 efficiency as the ones you mount outside the engine.

I was going to say the same thing, but I wasn't 100% certain on the fact... :)
I'm like 98% certain though...

#10 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:18 PM

View PostTesunie, on 04 March 2014 - 04:00 PM, said:

I was going to say the same thing, but I wasn't 100% certain on the fact... :)
I'm like 98% certain though...

I'm 100% certain. The engine slots should be used last, not first since they can do crit padding elsewhere and don't get to "true doubles" by being in the engine.

#11 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:22 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 04 March 2014 - 04:18 PM, said:

I'm 100% certain. The engine slots should be used last, not first since they can do crit padding elsewhere and don't get to "true doubles" by being in the engine.

Or tossed in there to protect them from being critted themselves? Just a concept (though I think they can still be critted out anyway, not sure on that).

#12 Just wanna play

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:30 PM

part of me thinks this is cheap and effective se build, basically my hunch back 4g with two ppc strapped on and another hunchback melted on top for armor
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...778cc29c235f1c3

other part of me is sad, kind of just wish they maybe took away one ct energy hard point off of atlas-k and gave it 3 ballistic hard points, PERFECT for a better triple 3 ac/5 mech *sniffle*

one could also try the ever awesome jager load out of 2ac/5s/uac/5s and 2 ac/2s to fill that side torso, idk

Edited by Just wanna play, 04 March 2014 - 04:31 PM.

#13 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:43 PM

View PostTesunie, on 04 March 2014 - 04:22 PM, said:

Or tossed in there to protect them from being critted themselves? Just a concept (though I think they can still be critted out anyway, not sure on that).

If the game has already determined that you're going to take a crit, and is now deciding where to place it, where would you prefer? The heat sink? Or a weapon? I'll admit, losing anything other than an MG is actually going to improve your heat tolerance, but I'd still prefer to keep the ability to do damage and just keep in mind that I've got less heat buffer. Counts for extra point anywhere there's ammo or a gauss rifle.

#14 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:55 PM

View PostKhajja nar Jatargk, on 04 March 2014 - 02:57 PM, said:

Helm,

Your 3e build left a sink out of the more efficient engine slot

Everything I do to a build is intentional. The DHS was left in RT to protect MLas against critting. Besides, 18DHS would be enough to handle any sort of heat generated by such loadout. As why you'd choose to store ammo inside of torso instead of legs, I have no idea. I thought it's a rule of thumb already among anyone who don't want to lose their side torsos, especially with an XL engine.

#15 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:57 PM

View PostSparks Murphey, on 04 March 2014 - 04:43 PM, said:

If the game has already determined that you're going to take a crit, and is now deciding where to place it, where would you prefer? The heat sink? Or a weapon? I'll admit, losing anything other than an MG is actually going to improve your heat tolerance, but I'd still prefer to keep the ability to do damage and just keep in mind that I've got less heat buffer. Counts for extra point anywhere there's ammo or a gauss rifle.

Situation dependent. If I've got nothing in my side torsos, and no more room where I do have weapons, I'll just place it into the engine if I can to protect them. For the most part though, yes, you are right. Use the sinks as buffers if you can. If you can't, or don't wish to, then just toss them in the engine. (Some designs don't have the room outside the engine.)

View PostHelmstif, on 04 March 2014 - 04:55 PM, said:

Everything I do to a build is intentional. The DHS was left in RT to protect MLas against critting. Besides, 18DHS would be enough to handle any sort of heat generated by such loadout. As why you'd choose to store ammo inside of torso instead of legs, I have no idea. I thought it's a rule of thumb already among anyone who don't want to lose their side torsos, especially with an XL engine.

Most of my builds don't have ammo in the legs... but then again it might have to do with the types of mechs I drive. Some do carry ammo in the legs, others do not. For a Banshee, I wouldn't know where to place it yet. are the side torsos relatively safe for ammo? Or high damage spots?

#16 Ashan An

• PipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:00 AM

I think the main reason to put DHS in the engine slots is to save the 3 slots if you are short of that side.

Back to the OP, i've been tinkering a little with smurfy and came up with some interesting set ups, what you guys think about them?

BNC-3E STD 350 3xAC5 / 4x SL First time i've ever considered a C.A.S.E on a mech

BNC-3M STD 375 3x LL / 5x SL Light Show!

BNC-3M STD 350 3x PPC / 4x ML / 1x SL PPC version, with ERPPC is way too hot in my opinion and you still have punch up close

BNC-3S STD 340 AC-20 / 8x ML / SRM 6+ART This hurts

I also don't see why so many people bashes on the La Malinche, it may not bee the best hero mech in the game but i think it's actually really good and can support some really impressive builds.
La Malinche is basically a 3S that trades 4E hardpoints for a much higher engin cap, while it's not the best of trades it's not the worst either

While it can support an AC 20, with that it becomes an inferior 3S so i would ditch that path.

Now the big problem for this Hero mech is one and simple: Can it run an XL engine with relative safety?
If the answer is yes i think La Malinche has a lot of potential beacuse it's a 95 ton mech that can run at 70+ kpm with enough tonnage for some good firepower

XL 375 2x LPL/ 2x MPL / SRM 6+ART/ LB 10-X 70 kpm with tweek and impressive firepower, i think this should brawl like a beast

XL 400 Gauss / 3x ERLL 75 kpm Sniper, not sure if it's actually viable but sure looks fun

Edited by JeanMarks, 05 March 2014 - 02:10 AM.

#17 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:45 AM

View PostJeanMarks, on 05 March 2014 - 02:00 AM, said:

Back to the OP, i've been tinkering a little with smurfy and came up with some interesting set ups, what you guys think about them?

I just have to say, Ghost heat man. Ghost heat. Most of these have a lot of one type of weapon and push ghost heat. If you can control your fire, you can of course avoid the ghost.

Beyound that, I'm one who has to try it out on the field of battle before I can really say anything certain.

#18 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:19 PM

Is really nobody planning on at least trying turret mode with 2xUAC5+2xAC2+4xML?

#19 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:37 PM

View PostTesunie, on 05 March 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

I just have to say, Ghost heat man. Ghost heat. Most of these have a lot of one type of weapon and push ghost heat. If you can control your fire, you can of course avoid the ghost.

Beyound that, I'm one who has to try it out on the field of battle before I can really say anything certain.

Specifically 3LL, 3PPC, 8ML are all over the ghost heat amounts (2 for LL, 2 for PPC, 6 for ML). Usually its best to design to go around this.

#20 Ashan An

• PipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:02 PM

View PostTesunie, on 05 March 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

Well my first mech was the Hunchback 4P so i got used to the controlled fire, but i guess someone who is't would have some problems with my kind of setup

Edited by JeanMarks, 05 March 2014 - 01:02 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users