83 replies to this topic

#21 The Gunman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 220 posts
  • LocationLow Orbit

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:38 PM

I've started having issues too. I took a 2 month hiatus from the game: now my CF is broken.

I'm running Tri-Fire 7970s. Using driver version 14.2. I simply can't get any indication of scaling occurring. I have followed all instructions in the thread. :D

#22 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ont.

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:52 AM

View PostThe Gunman, on 15 March 2014 - 05:38 PM, said:

I've started having issues too. I took a 2 month hiatus from the game: now my CF is broken.

I'm running Tri-Fire 7970s. Using driver version 14.2. I simply can't get any indication of scaling occurring. I have followed all instructions in the thread. :D

Download msiafterburner this has all of the tools that you need. I haven't dealt with tri-fire before.

#23 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:00 AM

View Postfrag85, on 14 March 2014 - 03:15 PM, said:

This is the flickering I get with AFR.
While in the video it appears to just be a slightly darker screen, the whole screen is flickering.

http://youtu.be/LH-T_i302vg

And the ghosting in AFR, if the game is not flickering its doing this:
http://youtu.be/yCBOBmTfuew

Framerates I'm seeing on tourmaline, walking out to the atlas and hanging a left.
Posted Image

I still believe its a problem with the 7970, drivers and MWO. Not every card is treated the same in the video card drivers, so people with say CF7770. 7870 or a 6000 series that got it working-good for them, they don't have 7970s.

It doesnt look like your cards are scaling correctly, this is caused by ultra-low power state, for AMD/ATI graphics cards in CrossfireX, one card basicly shuts down causing the other card to overload. To fix this you can either edit your registry or use the automated tool in the link provided. From what I have read you will need to do this every time you upgrade your drivers. can you confirm that you have done this.

#24 CeeKay Boques

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:29 AM

Frag if it helps, the Flickering with the MechLab on the alternating frames is what I had and its gone now...

However, the cards I was using aren't even the same gen as yours, 4850. Still...

#25 frag85

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:15 PM

View PostShamous13, on 17 March 2014 - 04:00 AM, said:

It doesnt look like your cards are scaling correctly, this is caused by ultra-low power state, for AMD/ATI graphics cards in CrossfireX, one card basicly shuts down causing the other card to overload. To fix this you can either edit your registry or use the automated tool in the link provided. From what I have read you will need to do this every time you upgrade your drivers. can you confirm that you have done this.

ULPS is disabled. If you looked at the graph I posted, you' can see that the cards are being utilized. If you are running CF 7970(or 7950)s and are seeing different results, post what you are doing to get proper CF scaling without the flicker or ghosting issue. This is the issue I've been seeing with a fresh install of Win7 and any driver version up to 14.2.

View PostTechnoviking, on 17 March 2014 - 11:29 AM, said:

Frag if it helps, the Flickering with the MechLab on the alternating frames is what I had and its gone now...

However, the cards I was using aren't even the same gen as yours, 4850. Still...

Cards with different chips are handled their own way in the drivers. They have nothing in common except they are made by AMD/ATI.

View PostThe Gunman, on 15 March 2014 - 05:38 PM, said:

I'm running Tri-Fire 7970s. Using driver version 14.2. I simply can't get any indication of scaling occurring. I have followed all instructions in the thread. ^_^

By any chance can you run MSI Afterburner and log your GPU usage, temps and clocks? You'll need ULPS disabled for logging to work right unless you start MSIAB after you get MWO running in fullscreen.

Edited by frag85, 17 March 2014 - 12:56 PM.

#26 Dazi_Shimazu

• Pip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:07 PM

View Postfrag85, on 17 March 2014 - 12:15 PM, said:

ULPS is disabled. If you looked at the graph I posted, you' can see that the cards are being utilized. If you are running CF 7970(or 7950)s and are seeing different results, post what you are doing to get proper CF scaling without the flicker or ghosting issue. This is the issue I've been seeing with a fresh install of Win7 and any driver version up to 14.2.

Cards with different chips are handled their own way in the drivers. They have nothing in common except they are made by AMD/ATI.

By any chance can you run MSI Afterburner and log your GPU usage, temps and clocks? You'll need ULPS disabled for logging to work right unless you start MSIAB after you get MWO running in fullscreen.

I have two Diamond Double Black Diamond 7970s and I can confirm this workaround does work. The ghosting and flicker is due to the shaders needing to be purged via the repair tool and reset to the new resources. If I can remember if I did anything special to fix the issue beyond this I will let you know. My memory is a failing device due to a chronic disease. I do know I am running the most current beta drivers from guru3d.com. I did have to make sure any and all ULPS in the registry were disabled. I ran the profile Borderlands 2. I also made sure that all the settings for catalyst center were defaulted. There is a lag stutter due to a problem with the engine on dx11 that should be fixed 3/18/2014. I will see if I can get more of a performance number at that time. You will have to disable AA as this causes you to have bugs too and I had this when logging in and running the game.

Edited by Kain Jackyll, 17 March 2014 - 03:14 PM.

#27 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:53 PM

View Postfrag85, on 17 March 2014 - 12:15 PM, said:

Just curious did you uninstall the drivers completely before installing 14.2 beta drivers? what size psu are you running and whats the rest of the hardware that you are running. I say that your gpu isn't scaling properly because you can see that the gpu1 and 2 have difrent load % and should be almost the same. also note you should be exiting out of the game and closing it prior to changing the ccc profile this can cause some wonky problems too..

#28 frag85

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:01 PM

View PostKain Jackyll, on 17 March 2014 - 03:07 PM, said:

I have two Diamond Double Black Diamond 7970s and I can confirm this workaround does work. The ghosting and flicker is due to the shaders needing to be purged via the repair tool and reset to the new resources. If I can remember if I did anything special to fix the issue beyond this I will let you know. My memory is a failing device due to a chronic disease. I do know I am running the most current beta drivers from guru3d.com. I did have to make sure any and all ULPS in the registry were disabled. I ran the profile Borderlands 2. I also made sure that all the settings for catalyst center were defaulted. There is a lag stutter due to a problem with the engine on dx11 that should be fixed 3/18/2014. I will see if I can get more of a performance number at that time. You will have to disable AA as this causes you to have bugs too and I had this when logging in and running the game.

Weird that you aren't getting the flicker or poor scaling. Doing the reset via the repair tool, or even a complete fresh install of MWO I either get no scaling (with the default, bioshock, any crysis profile, I have tried the Borderlands profile in the past for MWO but not on 14.2) or the flickering (with the AFR method). I've tried these on a fresh windows install (i keep a 2nd install of windows as a backup/testing install) and my normal gaming install just in case I had changed something that was affecting CF.

What resolution are you running? What kind of frame rates? I wonder if that is related. If you aren't running a large resolution, you could just not be utilizing your cards enough to notice. I know if I was running just 1920x, 1 card would be more than enough for 80-100FPS without much of a fuss. I'm just looking at being able to keep 85FPS for my 75hz display as 85 is one of those 'sweet spot' frame rates where tearing almost disappears. On my Nvidia SLI setup I was able to do this without a problem.

I wish there was a tool more powerful than RadeonPro (or RP had more options), along the lines of nvidia inspector where you can see what engines/games certain profiles were meant for. Inspector was much easier to set the 'bits' than to just go on a guessing game of assigning different game profiles, like I wouldn't be surprised if Bioshock and all the Cryengine games use the exact same CF method.

Edited by frag85, 17 March 2014 - 09:05 PM.

#29 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:16 AM

Try this, delete your user shader cache, run the repair tool, and add r_ShadersAsyncCompiling=0 to your user.cfg it MAY resolve the issue but no promises, I also found that having a custom user cfg was causing issues. try going to the basics with the following

cl_fov = 85
r_MultiGPU = 1
r_ShadersAsyncCompiling=0

also try adding r_flush=0 to your user.cfg

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 05 March 2014 - 09:51 PM, said:

and another updated user.cfg you can try. This is for very high spec and will be (7) when added to the package. adds some bonus ssdo & hdr / bloom for nicer lasers too.

Spoiler

Edited by Shamous13, 18 March 2014 - 04:21 AM.

#30 frag85

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:00 PM

View PostShamous13, on 18 March 2014 - 04:16 AM, said:

Try this, delete your user shader cache, run the repair tool, and add r_ShadersAsyncCompiling=0 to your user.cfg it MAY resolve the issue but no promises, I also found that having a custom user cfg was causing issues. try going to the basics with the following

cl_fov = 85
r_MultiGPU = 1
r_ShadersAsyncCompiling=0

also try adding r_flush=0 to your user.cfg

Same boat as before. No scaling in Default, Bioshock or Borderlands or 100% scaling but flicker/ghosting in AFR.

What motherboard Chipset do you have? I was thinking back to when I switched from x58 to Z77 and how I had all sorts of new video driver issues on the Z77 that I did not have on the x58, and problems I had on x58 were gone on Z77. I'm thinking you are running something other than a Z77 board and that the issue is more driver related than MWO at this point.

#31 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:17 AM

I've got a crosshair v formula wit a fx8350. what brand of mother board do you have? a few thoughts what slots do you have your video cards plugged in too? the slots for your board are setup as listed below (asus listed below) and your cards should be pluged in too the first two slots.Have you updated all of your drivers for your MOB? have you updated the BIOS? also check that all of your connections from your psu are seated properly and that you have used every plug on the motherboard. what size of PSU do you have? I'm just going through the trouble shooting list.

2 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8) *2
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode, black) *3
*3: The PCIe 2.0 x16 slot shares bandwidth with PCIe 2.0 x1_1 slot, PCIe 2.0 x1_2 slot and PCIe 2.0 x1_3 slot. The PCIe 2.0 x16 slot default setting is in x1 mode

Edited by Shamous13, 19 March 2014 - 04:19 AM.

#32 frag85

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:58 AM

Hm. I wonder if this could be related to a bug between the 79xx series cards and Z77 intel chipsets.

I've got a Gigabyte Z77x-UD3H, so its PCI-Express 3.0, x8 x8 with dual cards (verified link width using CPU-Z). More than enough bandwidth to support these cards. Its definitely not a power issue. I can run any number of the hundreds of games I own and MWO is the only game with this issue.

Thanks, But no need for basic troubleshooting at this point. Everything is updated and I've tried older versions of drivers and its either the same issues or new ones pop up. If the issue was here then booting to a fresh, updated windows install with only MWO and the latest drivers (or several versions older for GPU drivers) shouldn't see this issue. I'm pretty confident when I saw this is an MWO and/or driver issue at this point.

Edit: I was reading around on some Crysis 3 forums and apparently the flicker is a chronic problem for some people but not others, sometimes one driver version everything will be fine and the next everything is broken again. Its most likely cryengine and/or the drivers.

Edit2: Bug report set to AMD and I sent a message to one of the Catalyst developers.

Edited by frag85, 20 March 2014 - 03:31 PM.

#33 Silpher K

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 82 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:44 PM

Here is my current "working" setup that im using, no modified client cfg files.

my specs and setup:
i7-3770k @ 4.5
sabertooth z77
16GB 1866 ram
2x 670 FTW+ 4GB SLI
3x 1920x1080 in surround @ 6080x1080 with bezel correction
335.23 drivers
dx11 mode

playability:
sli confirmed functioning (scaled my fps 2x with crysis3 bits)
slight damage texture flicker
damage glow flicker (turned off so i dont see this)
notice a very very feint ghost image (almost like a burnt-in image you see on old TV sets) once a match starts, will be running repair tool to clear shaders and other things to try to fix this
otherwise very playable (30~40fps avg, or almost double this if not using TXAA)
no noticeable unusual performance dives compared to sli off

without sli bits, game is unplayable with dx11/txaa enabled for me at my resolution (im talking dips to 10~15fps unplayable)

inspector settings:
Posted Image
Posted Image

in game settings:
Posted Image

in game usage:
Posted Image

Edited by Silpher K, 23 March 2014 - 10:54 PM.

#34 frag85

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:17 PM

View PostSilpher K, on 23 March 2014 - 07:44 PM, said:

blip

Any chance you can get a screen shot of all the games in that SLI bit? I'm wondering if the way MWO is handled is like any of those games when it comes to CF. Crysis3 doesn't do it for me and those other games visible aren't in the CF list.

#35 Silpher K

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:34 PM

View Postfrag85, on 25 March 2014 - 04:17 PM, said:

Any chance you can get a screen shot of all the games in that SLI bit? I'm wondering if the way MWO is handled is like any of those games when it comes to CF. Crysis3 doesn't do it for me and those other games visible aren't in the CF list.

:/
unfortunately there's only 1 (and a half of the one that's cut off) that's not in the screenshot

I'll just list them for you:
Need for Speed: Most wanted
Squadron 42 - Star Citizen
Crysis 3
Dying Light
Fire Loyalty (Huo Xian Zhong Chen)

#36 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:16 AM

View PostSilpher K, on 23 March 2014 - 07:44 PM, said:

Here is my current "working" setup that im using, no modified client cfg files.

my specs and setup:
i7-3770k @ 4.5
sabertooth z77
16GB 1866 ram
2x 670 FTW+ 4GB SLI
3x 1920x1080 in surround @ 6080x1080 with bezel correction
335.23 drivers
dx11 mode

playability:
sli confirmed functioning (scaled my fps 2x with crysis3 bits)
slight damage texture flicker
damage glow flicker (turned off so i dont see this)
notice a very very feint ghost image (almost like a burnt-in image you see on old TV sets) once a match starts, will be running repair tool to clear shaders and other things to try to fix this
otherwise very playable (30~40fps avg, or almost double this if not using TXAA)
no noticeable unusual performance dives compared to sli off

without sli bits, game is unplayable with dx11/txaa enabled for me at my resolution (im talking dips to 10~15fps unplayable)

inspector settings:
Posted Image
Posted Image

in game settings:
Posted Image

in game usage:
Posted Image

Thanks ill try this

#37 Nick Rarang

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 81 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:26 PM

I don't have crossfire but I have to say my 5ghz Fx8350 and 7970 ghz sucks in this game. 13fps dips in extensive maps

#38 frag85

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:01 AM

View PostSilpher K, on 25 March 2014 - 04:34 PM, said:

:/
unfortunately there's only 1 (and a half of the one that's cut off) that's not in the screenshot

I'll just list them for you:
Need for Speed: Most wanted
Squadron 42 - Star Citizen
Crysis 3
Dying Light
Fire Loyalty (Huo Xian Zhong Chen)

Cool thanks. Not even on the CF profiles list. lol. I went through and tried all the cryengine games again and still no go. This is so frustrating.

#39 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:49 AM

View Postfrag85, on 28 March 2014 - 07:01 AM, said:

Cool thanks. Not even on the CF profiles list. lol. I went through and tried all the cryengine games again and still no go. This is so frustrating.

I'm wondering if your PSU is on the week side or if you have a 12v rail on the way out. what brand and size of psu do you have?

#40 Sheridan Mackison

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:51 PM

I just read a review on Tom's Hardware that stated "With all of that said, you can see AMD's Radeon R7 265 is an overclocked Radeon HD 7850...". Has anyone bean successful setting up a 7850 and an R7 265 in crossfire?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users