New Video Card Advice Needed

47 replies to this topic

#41 smokefield

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Locationalways on

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:21 PM

i dont know if you already bought a card.if you didn't - then do not spend money on a gtx 760 with 4gb of ddr. for that gpu 4 gb are too much and its only a marketing thing - see reviews all over about 2gb vs 4gb . you will want 4 gb on a stronger card or in a dual setup.

i have played the game on intel hd4000 integrated @25 fps with a low/medium and high combo settings and also with modified user cfg and wasnt much diffenrence...maybe 2-3 fps - so the game is much more CPU depended than gpu.

#42 Odins Fist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:59 AM

View PostSlab Squathrust, on 09 April 2014 - 11:07 PM, said:

You need to reread my comment. Never did I recommend this gpu as an upgrade to the OP.

I'm sorry after seeing this quote below, I mistook it for an endorsement of some sort.

View PostSlab Squathrust, on 09 April 2014 - 03:26 PM, said:

Those new maxwell 750/750ti offer amazing performance for ~60 watts of power consumption.

Over the life of the card, power sipping like that could lead to substantial energy savings, that naturally, could be used to buy more hardware.

My mistake then... I still think it is nothing more then a really decent HTPC card though. :)

Edited by Odins Fist, 11 April 2014 - 12:01 PM.

#43 Slab Squathrust

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA or Billings, MT

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:54 PM

View PostSummon3r, on 10 April 2014 - 06:11 AM, said:

omg dual 290x? hows the heat? not they ever work very hard id imagine lol

Well considering they are non reference designs and there are 3 PCI slots between them, the temps aren't that bad. Crossfire does not work so well with MWO yet. When I play, I only use one of em. When I mine on them, the temps do not go beyond 70 C.

View PostOdins Fist, on 11 April 2014 - 11:59 AM, said:

I'm sorry after seeing this quote below, I mistook it for an endorsement of some sort.

My mistake then... I still think it is nothing more then a really decent HTPC card though. :)

No worries, my friend. I will admit, the original comment was somewhat vague. I am a lover of efficiency. I can see how my comment appeared as a tacit endorsement. Typically your best performance per dollar favors AMD hardware, albeit at the expense of power consumption. However with the current Cryptocurrency craze, AMD hardware is overpriced. As an AMD fan, I am intrigued by Maxwell's performance. In fact, I have seen miners building rigs with 750 ti's because of their superior hashrate/watt. If the higher end Maxwells maintain the same Khash/watt, they could easily supplant AMD gpu's as the De facto mining hardware, where power is relatively expensive. I agree with you that the 750 ti is not much better than a HTPC card. In fact, I plan on building a HTPC with two 750 ti's and an intel i3. That way, I can watch every football game on Sunday, without paying for Directv's overpriced Sunday Ticket. In the off season, I can mine on the 750's to help cover the cost. The ultimate point is that the architecture shows great promise.

#44 Odins Fist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:17 PM

View PostSlab Squathrust, on 15 April 2014 - 12:54 PM, said:

I have seen miners building rigs with 750 ti's because of their superior hashrate/watt. If the higher end Maxwells maintain the same Khash/watt, they could easily supplant AMD gpu's as the De facto mining hardware, where power is relatively expensive. I agree with you that the 750 ti is not much better than a HTPC card. In fact, I plan on building a HTPC with two 750 ti's and an intel i3.

A 750 Ti and an i3 for an HTPC setup is more then plenty to get the job done.. Hurray for HDMI outputs..!! :lol:

#45 Nick Rarang

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:01 PM

View PostA 99rmament, on 09 March 2014 - 10:32 AM, said:

Sorry if I mess something up, on phone. You can get the 2gb version since you will see no benefits buying the 4gb one. MWO only uses around 1.5gb at 1080p. It will help at higher resolutions sure..but then you'll suffer from low frames at the higher resolutions. If you're into games like Skyrim and want to download texture packs and whatnot then buy it. If you play games at 1080p with no texture addons then go for the 2gb. But yeah, the 760 is a fantastic video card. No use waiting for the 800 series to come out, the price drop is not worth waiting for if you are having a bad gaming experience. Look for the card on eBay. I can almost guarantee it costing less than $50 or a bit more off retail price.

I verified from msi afterburner that mwo used 2gb vram at river city night dx11 1080p very high settings msaa on. 4gb version is a better bet because you wouldn't want to swap textures with the slower system memory. I think the gtx 760 is powerful enough to run this game with very high settings txaa on dx11 1080p. This game is extremely cpu bound that I get best performance when gpu utilization is consistent at 99% and I only get that with msaa on; post AA only gives me 60% GPU utilization and it would give me more frame time variance and lower fps dips.

#46 ThatBum42

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 220 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:02 PM

I have an ASUS 660 Ti and it's great. Got it in November when I did a refit of my main build, used to have an EVGA 570. Maxes out just about anything I can throw at it in 1080p.

Got to say, I love the ASUS variant, the DirectCU II cooler is very well designed. Much more efficient and quieter than that awful squirrel cage impeller thing from the reference design. It overclocks like a champ, too.

I've heard that the 700 series is basically a re-badge of the 600 series with minor engineering tweaks. They're both based on the Kepler architecture. So, you might want to consider that if you encounter a 600 series card that's significantly cheaper than its equivalent 700 series card.

#47 BARBAR0SSA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:25 PM

As much as you want NVidia, Radeon 290, 280x etc are all phenomenal cards as well, if you can get them in your price range they are worth a look. Heck even 7970 if its around your price range is a great card.

Edited by shad0w4life, 16 April 2014 - 08:26 PM.

#48 Nick Rarang

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 81 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:37 PM

View Postshad0w4life, on 16 April 2014 - 08:25 PM, said:

As much as you want NVidia, Radeon 290, 280x etc are all phenomenal cards as well, if you can get them in your price range they are worth a look. Heck even 7970 if its around your price range is a great card.

True to that, specially now that coin mining has slowed down; AMD Radeon prices have stabilized. Not sure how much advantage NVIDIA has on this sponsored title; but CRYENGINE doesn't support PHYSX, and I'd take MSAA over TXAA eye candy wise. Even with MSAA on very high settings dx11 1080p, I'm averaging 50fps on my 7970. I wish I had an Intel K series though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users