• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:29 PM

Another one.

Kill team: Slay the Warlord
One player defends, the other is trying to kill.
Defending player nominates a character as his leader. (Be it a cheap HQ (be easy here!) or a Sargent.)
Defending player gets a free transport, able to carry the leader and his body guard squad. (Only the transport is free!)
The attacking player sets up an ambush. This can be rolling to "spring the trap" (like reserve rolls) and "deep strike" (with no scatter) into key locations (no dangerous terrain checks, as you are just coming out of hiding). This may give the defending player either a few turns to get into the trap, or he might not be in the kill zone yet. (I'd suggest having preestablished ambush locations for your force. Either draw the map and mark the locations, or place the models if the other person can play as though he "doesn't know they are there".
Defending player is to try and either kill all his attackers, or try to force his HQ off the map, leaving by his deployment zone, or some other preestablished zone/place.
Attacking player is to try and kill the leader. (Leader may take look out sir rolls on a +2, but only be able to pass the wound to models within 2" of him. Everyone else is too far away to protect him!) Once the leader is done, they may withdraw (by any other zone than the enemy deployment, after all you don't want to retreat into the enemy's camp), or try to take down as many of the enemy as they can.

#122 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:29 PM

Man I like that, and yes, we have a Tyranid player with Hive Tyrant, Guard, gaunts, Fexes, and whatnots. Can't believe I forgot about him. We also have chaos with a few fliers and what nots.

#123 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 24 May 2014 - 04:20 PM

Time to pull this out of obscurity.

Local second hand book store had a going out of business sale (sadly - it was a neat little shop) and I managed to pick up what I think is the 3rd edition Space Marine Codex for ~5$

#124 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:58 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 24 May 2014 - 04:20 PM, said:

Time to pull this out of obscurity.

Local second hand book store had a going out of business sale (sadly - it was a neat little shop) and I managed to pick up what I think is the 3rd edition Space Marine Codex for ~5$

Wow, that is an old relic of ages past. QUICK! Hide it from the mechanicus!

3rd ed had some great features, it wasn't as good as the nostalgia riddled rogue trader, but it's fun.

#125 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:00 PM

Yeah, now I just need the base manual so I know what any of the numbers in it mean. :)

The company may have moved on to 4th - but like with D&D I would assume there are still pockets of resitence in favor of older versions

#126 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:12 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 24 May 2014 - 07:00 PM, said:

Yeah, now I just need the base manual so I know what any of the numbers in it mean. :)

The company may have moved on to 4th - but like with D&D I would assume there are still pockets of resitence in favor of older versions

Surprisingly, not really. I just played the last 6th edition match tonight. Next time I play, it will be 7th edition. (And I feel they did a better job on 7th from the looks of things so far.)

Normally, each new codex is (normally*) better than the last one and can run more on par with newer codexes in general (and it's always nice to get new stuff). (*Dark Angels seem to be the exception, however in 7th edition, a lot of the "problems" with the Dark Angels now becomes a boon... so I shall see.)

You may get lucky and find someone willing to play an older edition, but it wont be like with D&D (where I still play 3.5 edition).

#127 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:14 PM

Hmm... well that is somewhat upsetting (if not surprising)

Of course, I really have no idea which version it is yet - as there are no numbers in it.... gonna go compare the publisher dates in the book to what I can find online.

#128 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:17 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 24 May 2014 - 07:14 PM, said:

Hmm... well that is somewhat upsetting (if not surprising)

Of course, I really have no idea which version it is yet - as there are no numbers in it.... gonna go compare the publisher dates in the book to what I can find online.

Depends, is it hard cover? (If so, consider yourself extremely lucky... THAT WOULD BE THE NEWEST EDITION!) If not, I can go scrounging up the last edition and see what the copyright date is on that for you. (Or you can even go to the back of the book, and tell me the point cost of a Rhino... That too would give it away to me.)

#129 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:20 PM

Rhino?

35 points base

#130 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:29 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 24 May 2014 - 07:20 PM, said:

Rhino?

35 points base

I believe it's only one edition old... (unless it's hard covered). It shouldn't be too far off from current standards as far as a basic reference to look over. The special rules really didn't change, and neither did the lore really. (And the stats didn't, but they did place new units in here or there.) (Unless it's hard cover, and then you have the up to date codex, which would be amazing.)

#131 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:30 PM

Paperback, unfortunately

Hardcover with the stores methods would have been 20-30$
Which was well outside my pocket money :)

Good to hear it isn't that old though.
Probably will be by the time I can afford the base rules so I can actually use it though. :angry:

#132 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:45 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 24 May 2014 - 07:30 PM, said:

Paperback, unfortunately

Hardcover with the stores methods would have been 20-30$
Which was well outside my pocket money :)

Good to hear it isn't that old though.
Probably will be by the time I can afford the base rules so I can actually use it though. :angry:

7th edition just came out... It wasn't cheap (but they did a really nice job with it.)
I'd wait for the battle box set to come out (which should be soon). If there are marines in it, consider buying that. An player who uses the other army in the boxed set might be interested in going in with you on it. Usually a very good deal.

#133 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:46 PM

Well they just recently changed the starter set in the store...

I was hoping to one day grab the old one (it had ORKS!) but the new one has Chaos Space Marines - and that is one of the armies I do not want to own. :)

#134 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:56 PM

That will only have an old rule book in it now... So besides for models, it wont be very helpful.

You can always try to sell the models you don't wish to own... :)

#135 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:10 PM

Maybe - but it is all moot until I actually have the money

#136 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:23 PM

Some of the stats that I can read are fascinating though - cheaper point wise to have two squads of 5 than one of 10

Rather like in DOW, actually - which should not be surprising, but surprisingly enough is. :)

#137 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:24 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 24 May 2014 - 08:23 PM, said:

Some of the stats that I can read are fascinating though - cheaper point wise to have two squads of 5 than one of 10

Rather like in DOW, actually - which should not be surprising, but surprisingly enough is. :)

That has changed. Their infantry point costs have dropped. I believe it is now the same cost no matter the squad size, depending upon upgrades.

#138 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:28 PM

Well poo.

That was a kind of neat choice in DoW - better squad morale - or more troops total?

Of course - from what little I can read the stats - that would not have worked so well in TT. :)

#139 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:44 PM

It should be cheaper to create one big squad with no upgrades than two smaller squads in the older codex last I knew. The Sargent costs more back then and was added into the squad totals... (I could be wrong here.)

Also, you know if Stock Mech Monday is still going on? ^_^ (If you find this post in time.)

#140 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:24 PM

Stock mech mondays is very much still going on last I checked - Tiger Lily or whoever it was was even posting updates for it in the thread.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users