The Great Warhammer40K Thread

152 replies to this topic

#41 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:43 PM

View PostTesunie, on 14 March 2014 - 11:29 AM, said:

Is he gone yet?

No.

The only thing different is the fact GW stopped giving credit to the Codex authors for "unknown" reasons.
The last I heard of his involvement was the new shoot and move rule in the Codex: Eldar.

#42 Linksdx

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:28 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 14 March 2014 - 12:18 PM, said:

If I were to go by looks (from what little I have seen) it would almost definitely be Dark Angels.
Because robes. :(

Same reason for my grey knights reall cos you know bad ass weapons and helmets ...that and I read the novels a lot XD

#43 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:21 PM

If you like Dark Angels for their robes, you can always buy them, and make them whatever Marines you wished... Probably your Veterans or Sargents... :(

#44 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:25 PM

Might wind up doing that....after I have got some of course :(

#45 KharnZor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:11 PM

Everyone should just play Ultramarines. Best chapter of space marines bar none

*edit*
Tip. When using varnish on your models use Dull coat.

Edited by KharnZor, 14 March 2014 - 09:13 PM.

#46 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:40 PM

Varnish? What's that? :(

I actually find, paint brand dependent, that I don't need varnish protection. Then again, it doesn't hurt to have the varnish on it either... I'm actually considering getting a glossy varnish so I can just carefully do the shells of my Tyranids (which I only own less than a squad of little guys, given to me for free).

#47 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:47 PM

Painting them.... not something I look forward to doing. :D

Took several art classes during my public and home-schooled years - but nothing other than pencil and paper felt or worked right in my hands. :(

#48 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:52 PM

View PostLinksdx, on 14 March 2014 - 09:13 AM, said:

even greyknights? cos all grey knights are psykers

Grey knights are super disciplined and re-inforced, but even they will start pooping their pants if they spend too long a time around them.

View PostTesunie, on 14 March 2014 - 11:29 AM, said:

Skittle Marines. Making an army of Marines of every color possible, making them look like a bag of Skittles were dropped on the table. "This here is my Dark Angle marine. This over here is my Ultra Marine. Over here I have a Salamander marine. Don't forget about the Sons of Horus, before the betrayal colored marine..."

I take it is the same person who created the Necron Codex, and screwed over the Dark Angel Codex? (You can tell the armies he likes and doesn't like...) Is he gone yet? Because the last few Codexes haven't been too bad... Not so one sided one way or another.

Ok, I don't think I will do skittles marines though XP.

Yes, same guy, though in my opinion the 5th ed Necron Codex was actually cool. I liked it. Yes it messed up some of their fluff, but it gave them so much more character from the bland kill everything machines they were. Which had it's own appeal.

Also, he's still there, he helped write the Space Marine Codex for 5th ed as well. Maybe even 6th ed. If you noticed how the Ultramarine are the bestest and shiniest. That's because of the spiritual liege who can only write mary-sues and marty-sues.

Well, I'm in the middle of a 4 army 1500 point game right now. Tyranis, Eldar, IG with SoBs (Me), and Necrons. We've been complaining about the Eldar shoot and run rule. Thank you for explaining why it's happening.

It's looking awesome. I dropped a Vendetta on the field with 3 twin-linked Lass Cannons. Borrowed the models from a friend. (I am not rich enough to buy that many things over-night)

EDIT:

Will post pics later.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 14 March 2014 - 09:53 PM.

#49 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:47 AM

Well, sadly no pics will be posted. Two of the players were still very new and too shy about their army being shown online yet.

Good news is that the Imperium won that battle. My IG heavy weapons teams(2xLascannon,2XHeavy Bolters) paid for themselves within one turn, just by receiving all orders and bringing down a carnifex, a squad of striking scorpions, a squad of banshees, and later on, a zoanthrope and Eldar Autarch with Mantle of the Laughing god (They brought him down to 1 wound. Allowing my Seraphims to finish him off in melee.)

#50 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:54 PM

Just finished reading Cain's Last Stand, which showed up on my dresser and no one in the building knows how it got there (or is willing to admit to it, but since I am the only Warhammer fan in the building, I am willing to trust them on that one for now ;))

Anyone else read that?
The other Cain novels similar? (I have been repeatedly told that the Cain novels are very different from the others, but it 'felt' similar to Grey Knights, the only other WH40k book I have read - though obviously with far more humor)

#51 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:50 AM

I own an Ork army. Great army in that you can kitbash your vehicles to no end and they will still be proper 'orky'.

Sadly I haven't played it in about 8 years. Getting married, a job, a house and kids (and the same going for all of your friends) can put a 'slight' cramp in your play time.

But still, I love the chaotic nature of the Orks, makes for a nice change compared to my WHFB Empire. Played those guys 4 years ago still, much better record than with my Orks.

Somehow being able to hop in for a few games of MWO suits my current free time schedule much better. ;)

#52 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:40 AM

View PostShar Wolf, on 08 April 2014 - 09:54 PM, said:

Just finished reading Cain's Last Stand, which showed up on my dresser and no one in the building knows how it got there (or is willing to admit to it, but since I am the only Warhammer fan in the building, I am willing to trust them on that one for now ;))

It seems to me that you've been blessed by the Emperor with a gift. Accept it and serve Him Upon His Throne more faithfully. XP.

{Looks like someone knows you well enough, the stories with Ciphas Cain HERO OF THE IMPERIUM are fantastic.}

View PostSnagaDance, on 09 April 2014 - 02:50 AM, said:

I own an Ork army. Great army in that you can kitbash your vehicles to no end and they will still be proper 'orky'.

Sadly I haven't played it in about 8 years. Getting married, a job, a house and kids (and the same going for all of your friends) can put a 'slight' cramp in your play time.

THAT'S why you get your family and friends into the hobby (more like coke habit sometimes). Some of my friends got into D&D and other Table tops and RPGs simply because of their parents' influence on them.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 09 April 2014 - 04:41 AM.

#53 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:06 AM

My friends are already in the hobby, they're just as lacking in time though. We're glad we've been able to D&D every 3-4 weeks these past few years. And our kids still need a bit of growing up to do (the oldest are 6).

None of us have done away with our armies though, we're saving them for Later™

But my boy is already really interested in my BattleTech. And I've got an old copy of Battle Masters to introduce him to Warhammer. My daughter is welcome too of course.

#54 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:00 PM

View PostSnagaDance, on 09 April 2014 - 05:06 AM, said:

My friends are already in the hobby, they're just as lacking in time though. We're glad we've been able to D&D every 3-4 weeks these past few years. And our kids still need a bit of growing up to do (the oldest are 6).

None of us have done away with our armies though, we're saving them for Later™

But my boy is already really interested in my BattleTech. And I've got an old copy of Battle Masters to introduce him to Warhammer. My daughter is welcome too of course.

Can you adopt me so I have access to some of those goodies? XD

#55 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:41 AM

View PostMarack Drock, on 10 April 2014 - 06:48 AM, said:

My review of W40k

Good game, played many games like it, the Tyranids are spin offs of the Xenomorph (creators said it themselves).

Overall its great but StarCraft takes the cake over it.

I assume you're talking about the video game.

Yeah the RTS ones (D.O.W 1) weren't amazing, the first two were the best in the franchise, and even then the Dawn of Eldar was looming over them slowly.

However, D.O.W II is where the game shines in my opinion, squad based RTS games have always been a favorite of mine, and they did it right with that series. I also enjoy how they tried to be faithful to the lore more than before. The baneblade was still too small for it's "actual" size, but honestly I got to see it wreck the hell out of everything.

We're focusing more on the Tabletop though.

Speaking of which, what are the odds of two guardsmen not only regrouping after losing the other 8 members of their squad, assaulting a squad of wyches, and then proceeding to obliterate that entire squad? Because I saw that happen with my own two eyes. Everyone was just laughing as we watched the guardsmen survive round after round and killing 1 or 2 wyches each turn.

#56 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:08 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 10 April 2014 - 06:48 AM, said:

the Tyranids are spin offs of the Xenomorph (creators said it themselves).

While this is in part true - it bugs me that people bring up that point as if it were the be-all and end-all of the Tyranits.

They borrow from far far more than just the Xenomorphs.

Some of the issue though, is that I personally always associated them far more with the Zerg - especially since they were introduced shortly after Star Craft (if I recall correctly) and my first introduction to the 'nids being this guy right after finishing playing with this guy....

View PostMarack Drock, on 10 April 2014 - 12:58 PM, said:

The video games... I have definitely played much much much better.

If you would not mind providing an example of another game that plays like the DoW games (and I do not just mean the strategy, but the squad based strategy) that plays "better"?.....

Only other squad based RTS games I have heard of were the WW2 ones made by the same company - which I would rate lower than the DoW games.

Edited by Shar Wolf, 10 April 2014 - 01:08 PM.

#57 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:16 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 10 April 2014 - 01:08 PM, said:

While this is in part true - it bugs me that people bring up that point as if it were the be-all and end-all of the Tyranits.

They borrow from far far more than just the Xenomorphs.

Some of the issue though, is that I personally always associated them far more with the Zerg - especially since they were introduced shortly after Star Craft (if I recall correctly) and my first introduction to the 'nids being this guy right after finishing playing with this guy....

I thought the first mention of the nids was actually pre-star craft.

The only squad based games that can give the DOWII games a run for their money are Commandos I (both parts), Commandos 2, and Hidden and Dangerous (an ironically hidden gem that many people never heard of).

#58 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:18 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 10 April 2014 - 04:16 PM, said:

I thought the first mention of the nids was actually pre-star craft.

I could very easily have missed those - didn't get introduced to it till after SC, and the 'nids were "new" then.

View PostIraqiWalker, on 10 April 2014 - 04:16 PM, said:

The only squad based games that can give the DOWII games a run for their money are Commandos I (both parts), Commandos 2, and Hidden and Dangerous (an ironically hidden gem that many people never heard of).

I'll try to look into those, thanks!

#59 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:17 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 10 April 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:

I assume you're talking about the video game.

Yeah the RTS ones (D.O.W 1) weren't amazing, the first two were the best in the franchise, and even then the Dawn of Eldar was looming over them slowly.

However, D.O.W II is where the game shines in my opinion, squad based RTS games have always been a favorite of mine, and they did it right with that series. I also enjoy how they tried to be faithful to the lore more than before. The baneblade was still too small for it's "actual" size, but honestly I got to see it wreck the hell out of everything.

We're focusing more on the Tabletop though.

Speaking of which, what are the odds of two guardsmen not only regrouping after losing the other 8 members of their squad, assaulting a squad of wyches, and then proceeding to obliterate that entire squad? Because I saw that happen with my own two eyes. Everyone was just laughing as we watched the guardsmen survive round after round and killing 1 or 2 wyches each turn.

Those two guardmen deserve a promotion. Sounds like there are openings in the army roster now...

I've had a squad of Fire Warriors (before overwatch) be assaulted by Mandrakes (Dark Eldar). Made every save, caused one wound, they ran away, and then my turn came. And I shot them into swiss cheese... (Should not have happened... for the record.)

View PostShar Wolf, on 10 April 2014 - 01:08 PM, said:

Only other squad based RTS games I have heard of were the WW2 ones made by the same company - which I would rate lower than the DoW games.

There was a Starwars based game similar to that... and should I mention Age of Empires? Not squad based, but still fairly similar... ;) (Would not say they are better, but different flavors.)

#60 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:23 PM

View PostTesunie, on 10 April 2014 - 06:17 PM, said:

Should I mention Age of Empires? Not squad based, but still fairly similar... ;)

I wouldn't say that similar - I still play AOE1 and 2 though.
Also still play WC3 (would play WC2, but I no longer have the disk)- which plays more like AOE than DOW does...
(or AOE plays more like WC3 than DoW? something like that)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users