152 replies to this topic

#1 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:19 PM

For the discussion, mockery, praise, comparison or whatever else may come to mind about Warhammer40k

#2 Smitti

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 475 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFrog-blasting between BioVent Core #88A and #88B

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:57 AM

Discussion: It's cool
Mockery: a las gun can take put a Space Marine in Tactical Dreadnaught Armour? Please.....
Praise: Such a rich universe, something for everyone!
Comparison: Atlas ain't got nothin' on an Imperator Titan. 'Tis merely a fly on the hide of an elephant.
Criticism: Why is everyone so darn pessimistic??

#3 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:28 AM

Alright, to start this off. Tesunie, you have great modeling skills, and your painting is fantastic.

Now as far as 40K intro sets go, there are actually two with marines. One is Assault on Blackreach, which is orks vs. marines (700 points each)

The other one is dark vengeance, I think, Chaos marines and cultists vs. Dark angels. (again, 700 points each)

Also, a good thing to remember is that you should spend no more than 30 dollars per month on 40K, (Or save up for a few months and then dump a bigger amount to buy a tank) since usually you need to sell a couple of internal organs to get your hand on a squad.

My advise for starting players is to go with space marines, unless they already have a faction they are attached to. Space marines have the easiest stat line to work with, and are very forgiving to mistakes.

The other armies have their own special tricks:

If you like speed and specialization, then the eldar are for you.

If you like hard hitting nimble units that are designed to abuse your opponents and ignore some of their strengths then the Dark Eldar are your flavor.

If you like an army of slow implacable terminators that can resurrect themselves and kill every sign of life out of the universe, then the Necrons are more along your interests.

If you like running massive swarms of tiny creatures that can overwhelm your opponent's defenses while your bigger dudes and dudettes tear through the enemy's prized units and fortifications then you want to play the Tyranids.

If you would rather sit at the edge of the board plinking away at your opponents from behind cover with rifles that are made of pure anger, then the Tau are probably what you want.

If you want to have loads of dudes armed with nothing but guts made of plasteel and adamantium and artillery that turns the battlefield to much while the front-liners employ combined arms warfare, then you should play the Imperial Guard.

If you want to run an army spawned literally from the darkest recesses of hell, that is built around making your opponents poop themselves dead, you might want to consider Chaos Daemons.

If you want to run the evil brothers of the regular space marines with equally evil goatees, then you want chaos marines, they also get some nifty toys courtesy of chaos of course.

If you want to play a warband that wants to raid and pillage, and spill blood for the sake of all that, then the Lost and damned are up your alley.

Last but not least, If you believe the human form is weak and can be transcended, with the proper augmentations, and discarded for the sake of extended life and science, then a mechanicus cohort might be what you want.

#4 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:27 AM

All that and no description of the ork army? :angry:

#5 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:31 PM

I know W40K nothing more than a few major incidents, the races and some pretty dope artworks - seriously, if there's anything that have spawned the most outlandish, balls-to-the-walls fan arts, it's gotta be W40K.

All Hail To The God-Emperor of Mankind!

Edited by Helmstif, 10 March 2014 - 03:32 PM.

#6 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:07 AM

View PostShar Wolf, on 10 March 2014 - 10:27 AM, said:

All that and no description of the ork army? ;)

My apologies, I can't believe I forgot about them.

If you want an army that is crazy bonkers hilarious, fun and full of acme rockets (no literally, their jump packs are rockets that might blow up on them) and are magical but they don't know it, plus roll more dice in one shooting phase than a full on convention, then you absolutely want the Orks, cuz ORKS IS DA BIGGEST AND DA STRONGEST!!!

They also sometimes speak in broken cockney.

#7 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:12 PM

I should have seen this topic coming.. I am SOOOO dense for not seeing it sooner. :D

The Ork vs Marine starter set (Black Reach) is no longer in print. But, you might be able to find it still. However, Black Reach has an older edition rule book in it, which will make it less useful overall. (And the orks they give you are decent, but highly selective.)

The Dark Vengeance kit is the new one (Pulls out box) and comes with a new edition rule book (needed to play), some fun little games to play (built in, no point calculations needed, nor codex for those missions), templats, dice, measuring sticks (just grab a measuring tape used for construction. Cheap and easy), 1 Chaos Lord (HQ), 6 Chosen (can be normal chaos marines, or fancy normal marines), 1 Helbrute (A Chaos Dreadnought (walking tank), but can easily be used as a normal dreadnaught if you don't go chaos), 20 Cultists (which can be a squad or two of Imperial Guard as well if needed), 1 Company Master (HQ, cool looking dude), 1 Librarian (has "magic" powers, can also stand in for a Chaos Sorcerer easily enough), 5 Terminators (or Chaos terminators if one wished), 10 Tactical Marines (a full squad, or two half squads), and 3 Marine Bikers (or can be used as Chaos... you get the hint).

In total, (I have the codex, and I'll place it in normal Space Marine codex terms, most flexible), they can easily be:
- Chapter Master 150 points (or more)
- Librarian 65 points (or more)
- 5 man Tactical Squad 80 points (with a melta gun) (Troop choice one- required)
- 5 man Tactical Squad 105 points (With a missile launcher and flack missiles) (Troop choice two- required)
- 6 man Sturnguard Squad (Chaos Chosen) 142 points
- Dreadnought 100 points
- 5 man Terminator Squad 225 points (Cyclonic Missile Launcher)
- 3 man Bike Squad 83 points (with 2 meltaguns)
Total: 950 points.
You could possibly (probably) fill in 50 more points of upgrades (on the librarian I would think) and actually field a decent army. The kit would cost $100, a codex $50. So, for $150 you'd have an army worth playing. It might look a little strange at first with the Chaos pieces in there, but it'd be perfectly functional. Heck, you might even be able to trade the Chaos pieces away for more marines... I've seen people spend more money on Hero Clicks, Magic and Video Games personally. And unlike a lot of other games, once you own the pieces, you don't have to "buy the latest set" to keep updated. Maybe a new codex from time to time (when they update them, which normally have a few (a lot of) years between). (I also like to display my models, but I love doing the modeling end of things, and the game is an extra bonus for me.)

Orks, though, are different. As someone else stated, they are very hilarious. I don't like orks very much personally, but I do like reading what they do, and seeing what craziness the sometimes preform on the field. However, if you are worried about money, Orks can be expensive. They are "cheap" point value models to field most times, so you need a lot of them. A squad of boyz (Ork troopers) costs about the same as a squad of marines, gives you about the same number too. However, when you need 20-30 boyz to just one 10 man squad of marines...
(Warning: If you are serious about getting in, and are looking at Orks, wait a short while. I've heard (rumor) that they are the next codex to be updated. Would hate to see you buy a codex just to have it be useless (except for fluff/story/background) a month or two later...)

Personally, I prefer Tau myself. They have some of the longest range (and powerful) guns in the game. They have a lot of tight knit supporting abilities to help each other. To counter that, they are very bad at melee combat, have a hard time hitting (usually), and are very squishy when people shoot at them (most times).

View PostIraqiWalker, on 09 March 2014 - 11:28 AM, said:

Alright, to start this off. Tesunie, you have great modeling skills, and your painting is fantastic.

Wow. Didn't see this coming... Wait? How did you find that out? I know I posted a picture of my Crabs in the Operation Cancer thread... ;) (Is confused, but that isn't unusual for me.)

Thanks. I've been working on it for a long time. I love the modeling and painting of the figures. Probably more than I do the game play! (Though the game play is a great motivator on deciding what to paint next. Well. Painting in general.)

#8 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:56 PM

View PostTesunie, on 12 March 2014 - 03:12 PM, said:

I've seen people spend more money on Hero Clicks, Magic and Video Games personally.

Thank you for bringing up the horrible memories of the MW:DA TT game :lol:

Was never really certain if I wanted to try an Ork army, due to the randomness of it, but I do know I really don't want a Chaos one.
(something about them really makes my skin crawl)
I will very openly admit most of my liking for the Orks comes from the DoW games.
They had by far the best campaign in DoW2:Retribution. ;)

I know eventually I'm gonna need to pick up one of the rulebooks, if only so I can learn the game mechanics.
I've been told the first DoW games "felt" similar, but that doesn't really mean anything.

$100 for the starter set though.... it is going to be the end of the year or later before I can afford anything like that. :D

#9 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:21 PM

Save up small? I have a tight budget myself and look for sales. Maybe, if you know a group of people, you might be able to have someone go in with you, maybe cut the bill by half and take only the space marines. A lot of people I know do that. My brother (who has more income than I) has done that for several people, taking their unwanted chaos from them. Maybe you can find the 6th edition rule book for cheap used on E-bay (or something). There are options.

I know I tend to stock up on free comic book day (don't know if it's only a local event), where they often are buy 2 get one free, or buy 1 get one half off...

If I knew where you lived, and it was close by, I might have some models I'd sell for cheap... but alas... ;)

#10 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:44 PM

View PostTesunie, on 12 March 2014 - 03:12 PM, said:

Wow. Didn't see this coming... Wait? How did you find that out? I know I posted a picture of my Crabs in the Operation Cancer thread... :lol: (Is confused, but that isn't unusual for me.)

Thanks. I've been working on it for a long time. I love the modeling and painting of the figures. Probably more than I do the game play! (Though the game play is a great motivator on deciding what to paint next. Well. Painting in general.)

In the "Have they made this game worth my time" thread, you posted a couple of pictures of guardsmen and such, and they looked amazing. I haven't actually seen your Kingcrab thread posts.

View PostShar Wolf, on 12 March 2014 - 03:56 PM, said:

I do know I really don't want a Chaos one.
(something about them really makes my skin crawl)

That means they're doing their job right XD.

View PostShar Wolf, on 12 March 2014 - 03:56 PM, said:

I will very openly admit most of my liking for the Orks comes from the DoW games.
They had by far the best campaign in DoW2:Retribution. ;)

I know eventually I'm gonna need to pick up one of the rulebooks, if only so I can learn the game mechanics.
I've been told the first DoW games "felt" similar, but that doesn't really mean anything.

$100 for the starter set though.... it is going to be the end of the year or later before I can afford anything like that. :D

Yeah, that starter set can help you out.
However, I will say that if you can find a gaming store nearby, and see how the armies function, you might find ones you lean towards. That might help you start off small scale.

First time I got into 40K I had a crazy nutt of a friend who had at least 1000 points of each of the armies. So I got to experience how they worked, and I read up on their lore too. After that I made my decision on which army to start with (Space Marines) and that's when I learned a simple way to start and grow an army.

step one: Get at least one squad, then each month or so get another. Work your way up to 500 points (should be easy, that's about 3 or so squads in some cases)

Step two: Once you hit the 500+ point, get yourself an HQ choice, such as a proper independent character (vanilla leaders, or special characters like Mephiston, who is an almost unstoppable death machine in melee)

Step three: Grow your army up to 700+ points. Once you hit that checkpoint, get a transport instead of a squad. Having at least one dedicated transport can make a huge difference.

Step four: After procuring one or two transports, work your way up to 1000 points, preferably by adding at least on flying unit to your army.

Step five: at this point, you have a solid force, add more elites, heavies, transports, tanks, and other vehicles/troops.

Once you reach step five you can do whatever you want. You could even start adding another army as "allies" and thus include two or three more different forces into your main army.

Fielding an Imperial Guard army with a topping of Space Marine terminators for allies can traumatize some people. It's also quite hilarious when IG are fighting Lost and damned (chaos Guardsmen basically) and out of nowhere comes a batch of Space Marines teleporting directly in front of the enemy's command force and annihilating it in a hail of death and explosions.

#11 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:07 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 12 March 2014 - 04:44 PM, said:

In the "Have they made this game worth my time" thread, you posted a couple of pictures of guardsmen and such, and they looked amazing. I haven't actually seen your Kingcrab thread posts.

That means they're doing their job right XD.

Yeah, that starter set can help you out.
However, I will say that if you can find a gaming store nearby, and see how the armies function, you might find ones you lean towards. That might help you start off small scale.

First time I got into 40K I had a crazy nutt of a friend who had at least 1000 points of each of the armies. So I got to experience how they worked, and I read up on their lore too. After that I made my decision on which army to start with (Space Marines) and that's when I learned a simple way to start and grow an army.

step one: Get at least one squad, then each month or so get another. Work your way up to 500 points (should be easy, that's about 3 or so squads in some cases)

Step two: Once you hit the 500+ point, get yourself an HQ choice, such as a proper independent character (vanilla leaders, or special characters like Mephiston, who is an almost unstoppable death machine in melee)

Step three: Grow your army up to 700+ points. Once you hit that checkpoint, get a transport instead of a squad. Having at least one dedicated transport can make a huge difference.

Step four: After procuring one or two transports, work your way up to 1000 points, preferably by adding at least on flying unit to your army.

Step five: at this point, you have a solid force, add more elites, heavies, transports, tanks, and other vehicles/troops.

Once you reach step five you can do whatever you want. You could even start adding another army as "allies" and thus include two or three more different forces into your main army.

Fielding an Imperial Guard army with a topping of Space Marine terminators for allies can traumatize some people. It's also quite hilarious when IG are fighting Lost and damned (chaos Guardsmen basically) and out of nowhere comes a batch of Space Marines teleporting directly in front of the enemy's command force and annihilating it in a hail of death and explosions.

I did? Geesh. I don't even recall that... ;) Oh well. It was for the betterment of that thread... That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

There is a game style called "Kill Teams". You work with no HQs and have 500 points or less. It's rather interested and can be fun.

All of your advice is fairly sound, but vehicles have fallen out of favor in 6th edition. However, a Transport can still be a worth while investment, army dependent. FLying unit is also very optional, but you do want something with Sky Fire, if you army has anything like that. (Riptide with Velocity Tracker is my normal choice. Space Marines with Flak Missiles. Vendettas or Hydra Flaks for Imperial Guard. Etc.)

I've been playing 40K for a few years, so I've branched out a lot. I started with Tau (loved them), but moved to marines after getting my grey butt kicked too many times in 5th edition with the old codex. Then I moved to Dark Angels, but now they basically suck (the new codex is screwy. Something doesn't seem right with it), so I just use them as normal marines (A marine is a marine is a marine). Then I went back to Tau for 6th edition, and stayed there. I've dabbled in Eldar a little bit, and bought some Guard for fun (fluff at first for large matches, now because I like them). This has been over 4-5 years worth of getting?

Warhammer is definitely a hobby. It's not just a game. Though, you can always toss the models together for play. I carefully assemble and paint my models, which leaves me raising them at a slower pace than most. (Thankfully I can be a fast painter when I wish. Speaking of painting, I should do a coat...) If you can't get into the hobby, then you'll only have half the fun possible...

Oh, the tales we can tell. I've been teaming my Tau up with some Human allies (IG). Sounds like your space marines were doing what most space marines do tactically... dive in and kill their objective. (Should hear my Sternguard army. All drop pods. I always get the first strike. Not to mention +2 poison rounds... or combi-melta a tank when needed...)

#12 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:08 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 12 March 2014 - 04:44 PM, said:

See now - there is a problem already. ;)

If DoW is anything to go by - I would want to play all of them!

Edit: except perhaps Necrons, and almost definitely Chaos.

Edited by Shar Wolf, 12 March 2014 - 05:09 PM.

#13 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:25 PM

DoW (the first series of it, including expansions) isn't too bad at representing the armies.

Tau: Longer ranges, bad at close combat.
Space Marines: Good all around, but expensive to field (in game points).
Necros: Not very well portrayed, as the Monolith isn't that strong, and in the table top game, the Necrons have a chance to come back from the dead when killed.
Orks: Same basic craziness, if not even more craziness and randomness.
Eldar: Don't "disappear"... but are fast hitting race, but tend to be rather squishable... Good close combat stats and high skill troops, just low armor and easy to get hurt.

DoW will give you some concept, but not the greatest one. It's an alright place to start for consideration, but just realize that they don't play exactly the same. (The games are different, as in Table Top, your units are limited by what you bring in. You can't just create (most times at least) new units as you need.)

You do still maintain that "This is good against foot troopers, not good against vehicles. This is good against Vehicles, not so effective against foot troopers" rock, paper, scissors concept.

#14 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:30 PM

I rather figured DoW wasn't exact, as there are several mods (Firestorm over Karuva being the biggest name) that make it more so.
The whole "Respawn" issue being one of the biggest things it changes. ;)

Necrons do have a chance to come back in DoW.... it just isn't very reliable.
Didn't think the Monolith was that potent myself.

Problem is I have varied taste - and what I love one day can be boring the next. :D

#15 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:42 PM

That... is an issue with Warhammer... Guess why I have Tau/Space Marines/Eldar/Imperial Guard/Grey Knights (not worked on)... And this doesn't even include my Warhammer Fantasy armies High Elves/Beastmen/Tombkings/Skaven.

Thankfully, there are many ways to field a single army. My Space Marines have at least 5 different ways I tend to field them, depending upon my mood. I can change it up for every game I play. Same with my Imperial Guard armies. I have two very different and distinct tactics (so far) I tend to play with my Tau, shifting between the two as I desire. Some of these are even with the same exact models, just played from a different squad option. (Space Marines are best for this. Your Tactical Marines (troops) can stand for Devestators (to an extent), Sternguard, Tactical, Honor Guard... And each one of those will field differently. (Though still in a similar manner, all being space marines.)

#16 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:09 PM

Here are two examples of some of the most epic games I have heard of.

The first one is when British GW players decided to jump starta world war with GW stores across the pond in the U.S.

Much hilarity ensued

The other one is just an epic last stand between Imperials against Tau.

it's a picture so click it to maximize it

Keep in mind that both of those incidents are lulzy and in the case of the second one, don't follow most agreed upon rules.

We usually set point limits on the games, as such the 7-9K vs.29K situation should never happen in order to have a fun and fair game.

My biggest game must have been 4 armies, each at 3K points. We finished that one in 7 hours. (A good chunk of it was us goofing off plus playing each other against ... well... each other)

What I learned from my friends is that this game is fun, you're supposed to have fun when doing it. So for me, I have no problem fudging a role so that I lose a unit and possibly the match, if it made for a better/awesomer narrative. As my friends and I usually like to have a full plot going on for our battles, and usually we start by doing one battle, and then immediately get sucked into making it a full campaign, and end up with entire systems, if not sectors being our battlefields. For me narrative is a very important part of the match. I enjoy it a lot, and I have actually lost my force commander on purpose at least once, because it made for a better story.

Since I've had to move around a lot (being a refugee isn't stable very often) I have not had the chance to maintain possession of an army, and I'm actually starting to rebuild from scratch.

at the moment I have:
1x Commander
1x 10 man marine squad with plasma cannon and plasma gun
1x 3 man bike squad with plasma gun
1x 5 man terminator squad with assault cannon and chainfist
1x psyker

So about 700 points or so. I usually throw in a cyclone missile launcher onto one of my termies and watch the carnage. (In DoWII terms I make one of them Avitus)

I am also sad to say this, but not one of them is painted yet. They're all grey.

#17 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:39 PM

I don't mind playing for a narrative. Always makes it more fun.

And grey pieces, they all have to start somewhere... right?

#18 Linksdx

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 91 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:36 PM

ahhh grey knights nothing like fitting 1000 points into 11 models to really make a battle interesting (silly demons player thought i was begin nice when i said id only use 11 models in our battle he he heh)

#19 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:01 PM

View PostLinksdx, on 12 March 2014 - 08:36 PM, said:

ahhh grey knights nothing like fitting 1000 points into 11 models to really make a battle interesting (silly demons player thought i was begin nice when i said id only use 11 models in our battle he he heh)

That sounds interesting. What were they? Paladin Termies?

#20 Linksdx

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 91 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:10 PM

Kaldor Draigoand 2 5 man paldin squads (i love the the draigos rule that alows me to play paladins as a troop rather than a elite

Edited by Linksdx, 12 March 2014 - 09:12 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users