Map

68 replies to this topic

#41 Accused

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 989 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:23 AM

In one of the other threads PGI said there are two maps right now. However all artists, or whatever, are working on clan mechs or CW right now.

Sooo...you can figure it out for yourselves when the new map (swamp?) will be released.

#42 Thunder Lips Express

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 905 posts
  • LocationFrom parts unknown

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:50 AM

View PostArctourus, on 11 March 2014 - 10:27 AM, said:

it'd be great if they allowed the community to make and submit maps that they could remake into official maps if they like them. A mech a month I can deal with, but a map or two a year? nope nope nope nope.

new weapon systems would be nice too :)

That would be one of the single best things to happen to this game, to bad it never will... Didn't they say it cost like 100 000 to create a map? Well I have seen some very nice maps for other games made by the community for free.
I would like to see any new map as I enjoy all of the maps that are currently in the game, if I could pick a couple it would be a very dense city with huge skyscrapers, multiple on off ramps, something similar to the city on the hill in the distance on crimson straight.
Also a dry desert one with pillars/spices of rocks would be fun for nostalgia... I remember maps like that in the battletech compendium.

#43 Jet Black Dog

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 97 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:08 AM

Randomly generated procedural maps.
Or random arrangements of 'tiles' ( a la catan )
Or total - war style strategic map terrain... that would require a strategy map, of course.

Edited by Mercier, 20 April 2014 - 05:10 AM.

#44 Shatterpoint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 358 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:20 AM

Even an equal distribution of the current maps would be a step forward, there are a few maps I haven't even seen yet.
When I look at the map stats if I remove alpine peaks from it terra therma has more plays than every other map combined..probably 55% terra (alpine being around 30%) the remaining being every other map combined.

#45 101011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:23 AM

View PostShatterpoint, on 20 April 2014 - 10:20 AM, said:

Even an equal distribution of the current maps would be a step forward, there are a few maps I haven't even seen yet.
When I look at the map stats if I remove alpine peaks from it terra therma has more plays than every other map combined..probably 55% terra (alpine being around 30%) the remaining being every other map combined.

Just out of curiousity, how have you not seen every map while being a founder? I find that rather difficult to believe.

#46 topgun505

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,625 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOhio

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:40 AM

Any new map included in the game needs to have features that you can't 'get around' by either fooling with the gamma settings on your pc or the visual res/level of detail.

#47 Joe Decker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 685 posts
  • LocationTeutoburger Forest, Lower Saxony

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:09 AM

Would like to see some Kind of "Metropolis Alley" Map where you got only one Way and as good as no Cover (except both Base Areas) from both Sides.

Would make good brawling Skills necessary.

In Conquest Mode you would get Ressource Points depending on how far you have progressed and where your Frontline is. So the Team that is being forced to fall back would gather fewer Ressource Points.

Edited by Joe Decker, 29 April 2014 - 01:12 AM.

#48 Matadrum The Great RKO

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 11 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:50 PM

If they made a Canyon Network Night map, where the canyons were full of mist... THAT would be one hell of an awesome map. MAKE IT HAPPEN!

#49 SubXulu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 196 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:51 AM

View PostEcliptor, on 20 April 2014 - 03:50 AM, said:

Didn't they say it cost like 100 000 to create a map?

They have said a lot of things, believe what you will.

#50 Magos Titanicus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSagittarius A

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:56 AM

PGI should consider a new map at least every 3rd month, and maybe a variant of an existing one every month

forget about it, pgi should leave it to the community...

Edited by Magos Titanicus, 14 May 2014 - 02:54 AM.

#51 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:00 AM

View PostMagos Titanicus, on 14 May 2014 - 02:56 AM, said:

PGI should consider a new map at least every 3rd month, and maybe a variant of an existing one every month

forget about it, pgi should leave it to the community...

What the heck are we gonna have for CW? 10 measly planets?

#52 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:02 PM

HPG was fun for a new map, but...come on: it's NURMS. That's lazy. I love this game. I have fun playing this game. But HPG does not feel like a highly-polished map.

It doesn't feel like something people would actually build. Ramps all over the place. Why? What's the Brawlroom™ for? Power center? Wouldn't there be observation points in the walls to watch that stuff? Why are there habs outside the walls? The base looks plenty big enough and it's not like there's anything else on the world...

I guess it goes to basic level building for me: yes, map flow, balance, cover, color consistency...all of those things are important. All of those things are tricky to balance.

But the map also has to make sense. In River City, and even Crimson Strait, I feel like the buildings were slapped down to block line of sight more than because "that's what people in that city thought would be aesthetically pleasing."

If I remember right, PGI was outsourcing map creation and then just giving their thumbs-up or down and input (right?). If I'm wrong on that...

These maps aren't real strong, and I realize the PGI guys are working on CW and integrating the Clan stuff, but if the war for the Inner Sphere is fought across Tourmaline, River City, "Forest" Colony, HPG, Canyons, Alpine, Crimson Strait, Frozen City, Caustic Valley, and Terra Therma? Ten maps? To represent roughly 2,000 planets?

#53 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:04 PM

Next Map is 2 months away.

#54 Chuck B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 253 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:20 PM

View PostDawnstealer, on 14 May 2014 - 12:02 PM, said:

HPG was fun for a new map, but...come on: it's NURMS. That's lazy. I love this game. I have fun playing this game. But HPG does not feel like a highly-polished map.

It doesn't feel like something people would actually build. Ramps all over the place. Why? What's the Brawlroom™ for? Power center? Wouldn't there be observation points in the walls to watch that stuff? Why are there habs outside the walls? The base looks plenty big enough and it's not like there's anything else on the world...

I guess it goes to basic level building for me: yes, map flow, balance, cover, color consistency...all of those things are important. All of those things are tricky to balance.

But the map also has to make sense. In River City, and even Crimson Strait, I feel like the buildings were slapped down to block line of sight more than because "that's what people in that city thought would be aesthetically pleasing."

If I remember right, PGI was outsourcing map creation and then just giving their thumbs-up or down and input (right?). If I'm wrong on that...

These maps aren't real strong, and I realize the PGI guys are working on CW and integrating the Clan stuff, but if the war for the Inner Sphere is fought across Tourmaline, River City, "Forest" Colony, HPG, Canyons, Alpine, Crimson Strait, Frozen City, Caustic Valley, and Terra Therma? Ten maps? To represent roughly 2,000 planets?

HPG was fun for about two weeks, but its so freaking rough. there are so many invisible walls, tar traps (places to get stuck after landing from a jump) its made that map a grind to play. As far as I can tell they haven't polished it at all since its release. But then Im under the opinion that HPG was nothing more then a test of the structures aspect of "The plan" http://www.mwomercs....plan#1.12.14.33

But over all I think your right 10ish maps is not enough to cover the thousands of world in the BT universe. I would worry more about the map to CW problem but I know CW is a 2015 project since its still in "design" phase last I heard. So they will give us 3-5 more maps..... Maybe this is PGI were talking about here.

#55 Volkodav

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,361 posts
  • LocationЯрославль. RDL.

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:00 AM

This way! And when, finally, released a new map?

And to make attempts community map - it will reduce the burden on mappers. Best map take the tests (or public test - will be good) - and then into game, all rights property to the map go to dev, after the release map in game. ?

Edited by Volkodav, 20 May 2014 - 05:01 AM.

#56 WHITERABBITS

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:58 AM

I'd settle for just having all our current maps at different times of day.

Morning, Noon, Evening, Night.

Maybe a few weather variants?

I'd hazard a guess they could do all that work inside a month if they directed all resources to that end.

No reason they couldn't once the clan mechs are out.

#57 NeonKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSurrey, BC, Canada

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:07 AM

View PostWHITERABBITS, on 20 May 2014 - 07:58 AM, said:

I'd settle for just having all our current maps at different times of day.

Morning, Noon, Evening, Night.

Maybe a few weather variants?

I'd hazard a guess they could do all that work inside a month if they directed all resources to that end.

No reason they couldn't once the clan mechs are out.

I have stated many, many, MANY times how to give us many "maps" with little to no work by PGI.

Who would not want to see:

Caustic Valley - DAY
Caustic Valley - Night
Caustic Valley - Assault start Locations = Sigma & Gamma (as opposed to the Kappa Epsilon) (Day & Night)
Caustic Valley - Thick Fog
Caustic Valley - Rain

See, we KNOW they can put weather effects in, they did so in Frozen City, so put them in Other maps. It helps change the map, and would quickly double or triple the maps we have with little work done on PGI's part. Even rotating Start Locations on some maps (can't be done on all of them) changes the feel and tactics. I know Caustic felt very different back in closed beta from when it was first released with the original Start Locations to what we have now.

#58 codynyc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 321 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Locationda Bronx

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:59 PM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 11 March 2014 - 02:16 PM, said:

NGNG podcast with bryan, he said new map in the next patch. that would be the 18th.

I guess that came and went...

We really need a new map!

#59 Kharax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:38 AM

We need not just one new map, we need much more maps, 2 maps are in the make... ok but iam much more hoping that the next map then not arive another 7 months later...

Better PGI for every Mech you release, release it with a new Map and i whould buy all of them.

On the other hand there wont come any more money from me without a significant faster release
of new maps.

Edited by Kharax, 05 June 2014 - 05:41 AM.

#60 Red King

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 102 posts
  • LocationLancashire, United Kingdom

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:32 AM

Here's hoping we get more than one map in the Invasion Patch :)

I know it's very ambitious, but it's been half a year, more or less since our last map.
A lot of the older maps need a revamp. They're just too small for 12v12 I think - Matches turn into a massive clusterfunk. :D

I heard something a while ago regarding HPG that included heat fluctuations and objects orbiting in the skybox. What happened to that?
I'd like to see sandstorm and night versions of Canyon Network and I'd love a night version of Alpine Peaks, especially if they add an aurora in the sky.

[Edit] Also, I hear a lot of people disbelieve that it takes a lot of money [250k?] to make a map.
It kinda makes sense. I mean, the company is paying the wages of those who are making the map.
While it may be exaggerated on how much it costs, it certainly won't be cheap.

Edited by Akagami, 05 June 2014 - 06:37 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users