- - - - -

You Need Two More Heat Sinks

16 replies to this topic

#1 tankkiArska

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:45 AM

What is this. I just upgraded my HBK-J4 to double heat sinks. Now when I try to go to game it informs you need two more heatsinks. What is this.

Pls explain the procedure how to upgrade heatsinks. I upgraded from standard to double. But now I am not able to play. ????

And the game does not give any answers to this problem. No answers anywhere.

And when I then try to buy the heatsink it inform you need more slots. How to get more slots.

Edited by HomerSimpson, 16 March 2014 - 05:47 AM.

#2 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:50 AM

You need 10 or more heatsinks for a mech to be legal. This includes the number of engine-internal heatsinks. A 250 rated engine has 10. This changes by 1 for every 25 rating difference. For example, a 225 rated engine has 9 internal heatsinks, requiring at least one additional, external heatsink for a legal mech. A 275 rated engine has 10 internal heatsinks plus 1 engine heatsink slot. If you build a mech in Smurfy, the heatsink situation is displayed on the left side.

Edited by Modo44, 16 March 2014 - 05:56 AM.

#3 I C Wiener

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:52 AM

The number of heat sinks you need depends on the size of your engine. The smaller the engine, the more heatsinks you need.

As engines grow in size, they not only don't need additional heatsinks but provide slots for further ones in the engine itself.

This has nothing to do with wether you use single or double heatsinks

#4 BigFatGator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 265 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:14 AM

The stock loadout has a total of six external heat sinks and eight internal in your STD200 engine.
When you upgrade from single to double heat sinks, the stock six standard external heat sinks are removed from your mech. This should also have freed up a ton of weight. Now you only have eight internal in the engine, but you need ten to launch.
Just add double heat sinks to the mech. You need at least two... if you're still running the 4-5 MLas you'll want more.

#5 Moonraven83

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:21 AM

Just another proof that PGI must implement detailed tutorials.

#6 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:30 AM

The above can lead to the weird situation that upgrading to DHS may invalidate your mech in a semi-permanent way if you do not have enough free slots. This may especially happen when you've got both Endo and FF installed.

All the SHS have been pulled out, also the 2 you had outside of your engine, but at the same time you've got less than 6 slots free in your mech (at least not 2 times 3 slots in the same location free). If you're able to just shift some load-out around then great. If you're structurally short in slots then you might need to get rid of FF for instance.

#7 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:03 AM

View PostMoonraven83, on 16 March 2014 - 06:21 AM, said:

Just another proof that PGI must implement detailed tutorials.

There should, in fact, be a large exclamation mark that provides details about why a build is invalid.

#8 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:26 AM

Use smurphy mechbuilder to rebuild your current mech to find out what's wrong. From there adjust accordingly. From what you said i'm guessing you didn't pick the part that had enough space for heat sinks. Double heat sinks (as mentioned above) need 3 critical slots, where as single heat sinks need just 1.

#9 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:51 AM

most likely you have used all slots, Endo Settl internals and Fero Fibrus armor each use 14 slots.

you most likely have an engine rated between 200 and 220, having upgraded to double heatsinks you now probabaly only have 2 free slots but need 6 for the 2 heatsinks.

in the mechlab you need to go to:
configure Mech,
upgrades,

there if you have fero fibrus armor equiped change it to standard armor. if you do not have fero but do have endo steel internals you need to change to standard internals.

if you get an error while performing those changes you have insufiscent free weight to make the changes, you may need to use a smaller engine or remove other equipment

#10 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:59 PM

Combine the information above regarding 10 minimum heatsinks and not having enough criticals (slots) available because double heat sinks take up 3 criticals each rather than 1. That is your answer. More than likely, you are out of criticals because you have FF armor and/or endo steel and/or an XL engine. All of those take up extra criticals in exchange for less weight.

Another alternative not mentioned would be to up your engine to at least a 250 if you can afford the weight and cbills. then you will have your 10 min heat sinks as well.

Edited by TheCaptainJZ, 16 March 2014 - 11:00 PM.

#11 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:41 AM

Guys, you need to read the original post better before answering. He upgraded from single heat sinks to double and tried to launch the game. That's all he did. What happened is that the single heat sinks are incompatible with double heat sinks, so when you upgrade, all of your original engine heatsinks automatically become doubles, but any extra single heat sinks that your mech had are removed. This seems to have resulted in your mech now having less than the 10 minimum heatsinks required to be a viable combat machine. All that you need to do is add more heatsinks back in. The important thing to remember, as previously mentioned, is that whereas shs take up one critical slot, dhs take up three, which means that dhs will not fit in the legs on any mech. You can easily run out of room on mechs if you do this upgrade, so plan accordingly. Smurfy is great for this before spending any of your hard-earned c-bills.

#12 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:47 AM

We read it just fine thank you. All the rest of the discussion stems from this last remark from the OP.

And when I then try to buy the heatsink it inform you need more slots. How to get more slots.

So we told him the how and why, and also the possibility that his build might actually be invalidated right now. So now we hope he has managed to correct the problem and learned some important things for future reference. Because PGI documentation.

#13 Opticz

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2 posts
  • LocationTitan

Posted 17 April 2015 - 03:38 PM

How do I install the heat sinks? and where do i get them I'm having a hard time finding them in the store?

#14 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:28 PM

They are in the Equipment section in the Mech Lab. Each Double Heat Sink takes three slots on an Inner Sphere 'Mech, or two slots on a Clan 'Mech.

#15 Ward Serpentine

• PipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 78 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:17 PM

View Postmailin, on 17 March 2014 - 12:41 AM, said:

What happened is that the single heat sinks are incompatible with double heat sinks, so when you upgrade, all of your original engine heatsinks automatically become doubles, but any extra single heat sinks that your mech had are removed.

Actually, all heat sinks are removed. Only the ones that come with the engine (minus extras for 275+ engines) remain, because they cannot be removed. Your original standard heat sinks end up in your inventory and you are forced to buy new DHSs.

the 4J comes with a standard 200 engine (8 heat sinks) so you would either need to change the engine to a 250 or better or free up enough slots (at least two groups of three) to add two DHSs.

It's worth noting that engine mounted DHSs dissipate heat at twice the rate of SHSs. Additional DHSs are only 40% (x1.4) more effective. If you have the tonnage and are short crit space, SHSs may make more sense.

All mechs have 6 critical slots in the head and each leg, 12 in each arm, side torso and center torso. You cannot "buy" more slots; you can only rearrange items that are not tied to a hard point. Certain equipment MUST be in certain locations (cannot move the gyro to the left torso, for example). which eats up crit space.

Note that you cannot put DHSs in the legs,CT (external of the engine) or head of an IS mech. You only have two free spaces (one in the head) in each location.

Edited by Ward Serpentine, 17 April 2015 - 07:26 PM.

#16 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 18 April 2015 - 01:02 AM

View PostOpticz, on 17 April 2015 - 03:38 PM, said:

How do I install the heat sinks? and where do i get them I'm having a hard time finding them in the store?

got to the Mechlab,
click on a component with 3 or more (assuming you want doubles, only 1 slot for singles) empty or dynamic slots (arms or side torsos, if you have a 275 or larger engine you will have heatsink slots in the engine in the center torso)
click on equipment
drag a double (or single) heat sink to the component
repeat until you have enough heat sinks
save

#17 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 18 April 2015 - 09:52 AM

Note that it's impossible to invalidate your loadout this way in a clan mech, as none of them have double heat sinks that can be removed below 10.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users