Former CM

• Staff
  • 1,556 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationMontreal, Canada.

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:29 AM

Greetings MechWarriors!

We're excited to present you the third in a series of video developer Q&As in-house at MechWarrior Online headquarters.

0:35 - Technical Director Matt Craig: What changes will Direct X 11 have on MechWarrior Online now and in the future, will that include SLI Support?

1:46 - Concept Artist Alex Iglesias: What were some of the design challenges with the newest Assault class BattleMech, the Banshee?

3:28 - Producer Matt Newman: What is the achievement system, how many achievements are there, and what types of rewards will we receive for completing achievements.

4:03 - Game Designer Alex Schmit: What is Launch Module and how will it affect both random battles and private matches?

7:00 - Lead Designer Paul Inouye: Insight into the recent jump-jet changes, heavy and assault chassis tuning, as well as the current state of weapon balancing.

A transcript by Viterbi is available below. Cheers!
Spoiler

#2 Heffay

Rum Runner

• Legendary Founder
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 4,993 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:37 AM

Yay!

Much better edited, and the content was great (although some parts are a bit dated). Keep up the good work!

Edited by Heffay, 19 March 2014 - 12:22 PM.

#3 Cimarb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 3,150 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationEn route from Strana Mechty to Alshain

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:42 AM

The first few sections were pretty disappointing, as there was little to no new content. The slowness for these Vlogs coming out is definitely the issue here, as we already know almost everything Alex, Matt, etc were talking about. For an 11 minute video, the turnaround time on these is horrible, just to be honest. Put less time into making it "pretty" and more into making it timely, IMO.

Second, please make the subtitles optional. I feel like I'm watching Fox News, which is NOT a good thing... Also, there were several typos, such as Paul talking about why they are looking at "Heavies and Assaults", but the subtitle says "heavily about assaults", and it is "parities", not "parodies" (which is kind of a funny mistake).

Lastly, Paul's response was by far the best IMO. He didn't just say what the JJ changes WERE, since we already know that by now, but instead he talked about WHY. This was a great change, and something that a lot of people brought up in response to the last two Vlogs.

More than anything, I am psyched that autocannons are going to be looked at!!!!!!

Please see my signature, and the ticket I submitted about it, for suggestions ;)

Weapons may be balanced decently, which is probably debatable depending on the user, but there are a lot of ways that we could make them even more balanced as well as add some variety and uniqueness to them to encourage people to play how they WANT, instead of how they feel they HAVE TO.

Thanks for making the VLOG worth watching, Paul!

Edited by Cimarb, 19 March 2014 - 12:14 PM.

#4 One of Little Harmony

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:43 AM

Thank you for continuing to include a transcript at the same time you post the vlog!

#5 Iqfish

• Members
  • Phoenix Overlord
  • Phoenix Overlord
  • 2,336 posts
  • LocationGermany, TMC Headquarters

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:50 AM

Woop Woop, nice one!

Edited by IqfishLP, 19 March 2014 - 11:51 AM.

#6 pbiggz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 910 posts
  • LocationDeep Periphery

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:56 AM

Happy to see more of this, but if paul genuinely thinks that weapon balance is where it should be, he's dreaming.

#7 Xanilos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • LocationIn the South Wall Cornerclub,Balmora.

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:04 PM

I've been considering taking a break and seeing if the LRMapocolypse gets nerfed back into balance because now the game is downright unfun if you aren't an LRM boat.

Autocannons have needed a nerf for a long time.I can take out my jager and to 150-200 points of damage more than I would have in another mech. its to the point where it feels like cheating,and lasers just can't stay cool enough to keep up,SRMs don't register too often and LBX is almost like an 11 ton paperweight on most builds. Don't even get me started on flamers...

I think the Victor nerf went a bit too far as they are 80 tons and really should be more in line with a heavy mech rather than an assault.

That being said I don't want too be to negative because no matter how good or bad the game is it is still the only new mechwarrior game out there and in the words of the immortal memester....

Posted Image

Edited by Xanilos, 19 March 2014 - 12:20 PM.

#8 Helmer

Com Guard

• Legendary Moderator
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 3,245 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:06 PM

at 1:14 Matty C says parity, yet the transcription says parody.... big difference.

Cheers.

#9 Remedy 6

• Members
  • PipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 43 posts
  • LocationMechin' my way downtown

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:06 PM

Awwww... no love for the LB 10X or SRMs?

#10 3rdworld

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:08 PM

I appreciate the player league shout out.

But Paul's part.....

View PostRemedy 6, on 19 March 2014 - 12:06 PM, said:

Game is balanced bro!

Edited by 3rdworld, 19 March 2014 - 12:08 PM.

#11 Hellzero

• Legendary Founder
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:10 PM

I see now where Paul is going with the tweaks of the Assaults. Battlemaster though is right now much more agile than Victor; and the Heavies certainly feel like Mediums as things stand right now(as he mentioned). So.... I hope the Heavy mechs will be put on line as well; in due time.

- Otherwise from me: News are always welcome. I'm glad to hear that the Banshee's age was taken in to consideration when it was made; it has character for such an old mech.

(besides the Itano Circus that is going down right now with the LRMs) Glad to hear the news!

#12 East Indy

• Elite Founder
  • Phoenix Overlord
  • Phoenix Overlord
  • 682 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:15 PM

Should be interesting to see where autocannons go. Rate of fire? Ammo? Heat? Repurposing engine functions for something like recoil? Impact effects?

#13 FelixBlucher

• Elite Founder
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:18 PM

Thank you for the Vlog, it was interesting. The audio was much better than in the past episodes. The camera seemed to be a bit out of focus, but that isn't a big issue. I don't think that the AC needs any changes, it needs to be competitive with the PPC.

#14 Deathlike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 13,926 posts
  • LocationWherever Badges of Shame Exist

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:21 PM

Two words describe my feeling of what Paul said in the vlog:

Trebuchet what?

8:10 in the vlog for reference.

#15 Cimarb

• Members
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 3,150 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEn route from Strana Mechty to Alshain

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:23 PM

View PostRemedy 6, on 19 March 2014 - 12:06 PM, said:

I think they are very aware of the SRM issue and just haven't figured a good way to fix them yet, but they have mentioned them in several recent posts.

As for the LBX, though, I think it is very debatable whether it needs "love" or not. It fits a playstyle and does quite well when used the correct way. I see them all over the place, and enjoy using them myself on several chassis (chassises? Chassi?...)

#16 Heffay

Rum Runner

• Legendary Founder
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 4,993 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:25 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 19 March 2014 - 12:21 PM, said:

Trebuchet what?

I believe it was in reference to the amount of jump you could get with a limited amount of jump jets was about as off as it was for the Highlander. You know...data derived information. Not that the number of jump jets made the Treb overpowered. Just that you didn't get the scaling benefits by adding more like in other mechs.

#17 Deathlike

• Members
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 13,926 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:27 PM

View PostHeffay, on 19 March 2014 - 12:25 PM, said:

I believe it was in reference to the amount of jump you could get with a limited amount of jump jets was about as off as it was for the Highlander. You know...data derived information. Not that the number of jump jets made the Treb overpowered. Just that you didn't get the scaling benefits by adding more like in other mechs.

Clearly you misunderstood the reference.

He clearly meant Victor, but said Trebuchet. It's not like the Trebuchet is in the good spot for the mediums either.

#18 Heffay

Rum Runner

• Legendary Founder
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 4,993 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:33 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 19 March 2014 - 12:27 PM, said:

Clearly you misunderstood the reference.

He clearly meant Victor, but said Trebuchet. It's not like the Trebuchet is in the good spot for the mediums either.

Possibly. How well does jump jet scaling work for the Trebuchet?

#19 Evil Ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationStavanger, Norway

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:34 PM

Still missing a liiiiittle teaser of future content. New map, new mech - something. Nice shoutout to TheB33f and War room.

And I want socks too...

Edited by Evil Ed, 19 March 2014 - 03:28 PM.

#20 Deathlike

• Members
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 13,926 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:40 PM

View PostHeffay, on 19 March 2014 - 12:33 PM, said:

Possibly. How well does jump jet scaling work for the Trebuchet?

That wasn't the point.

Although, the answer is, not that much outside of slower JJ fuel recovery like EVERY JJ capable mech that was affected.

Edited by Deathlike, 19 March 2014 - 12:40 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users