#2 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:48 PM

Oh boi Obsidian. Does that mean we're not gonna see an Obsidian RPG for a while?

GOOD. Because as much as I liked Fallout: New Vegas, it was f**king BOMBARDED with bugs. It broke my savegame files TWICE in my two separate playthroughs, half way through the game, and I'm still under PTSD.

#3 S3dition

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:43 PM

my.com is registered in Russia and Obsidian is the same company that butchered NWN2 and launched the insanely bug ridden New Vegas.

Unplayable version of WoT?

#4 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:44 AM

Enacting modern warfare is to enact something between Mechwarrior Online and World of Tanks.

World of Tanks uses only one weapon, whereas true tanks have a minimum of two, the cannon and the machine gun. Modern tanks however, have three, since they can also fire a TOW missile through the barrel. That also means implementing a missile lock on system, and the missile will fire like a single streak missile.

Like MWO, you need infrared vision, night vision, at least three weapons groups --- one for the cannon, one for the missile and one for the machine gun. And we probably need a smoke generator, which can function like a fourth weapons group.

We don't have night battles in War Thunder and World of Tanks, but in a modern tank battle, we will certainly have night battles.

#5 DEN_Ninja

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,097 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:22 AM

Wary of the quality of the game but the 'features' intrigue me.

I wonder to what point I can 'customize' a modern tank.

As always I withhold judgement until I try it.

#6 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:31 PM

View PostAnjian, on 24 March 2014 - 01:44 AM, said:

Enacting modern warfare is to enact something between Mechwarrior Online and World of Tanks.

World of Tanks uses only one weapon, whereas true tanks have a minimum of two, the cannon and the machine gun. Modern tanks however, have three, since they can also fire a TOW missile through the barrel. That also means implementing a missile lock on system, and the missile will fire like a single streak missile.

Like MWO, you need infrared vision, night vision, at least three weapons groups --- one for the cannon, one for the missile and one for the machine gun. And we probably need a smoke generator, which can function like a fourth weapons group.

We don't have night battles in War Thunder and World of Tanks, but in a modern tank battle, we will certainly have night battles.

This is incorrect.

Not all (in fact, very few) modern tanks are able to fire ATGM's out of the barrel. Only Russia even equips their modern tanks with the capacity to fire ATGM's, and they use pintle mounts above the turret. The US hasn't fielded a tank this way since the Starship and it's 150mm shillelagh missiles. The only other tank we had that used this was the Sheridan. Both tanks were short lived, with the Starship never entering full production.

ATGMs are also not radar guided. They are optically sighted and wire, laser, or radio guided. These include the TOW, I-TOW, MCLOS and SACLOS missiles. There are no tank fired ATGM's that obtain an automatic lock, though it's possible that the US military may begin mounting Javelins onto IFVs in the future, which would add this ability.

The way they function is that you sight the target, launch the missile, and keep your sights pointed towards what you want to hit. This means in many cases you actually have to lead the target slightly. If you turn your sights elsewhere, the missile will turn and start tracking that target immediately.

Also, you don't need different groups since they rarely multiple weapons in tandem. The gunner has a selector switch that switches between main gun, coax, and ATGM (if available). The top mounted guns are either manually aimed and fired or (more recently) controlled by remote from inside the tank.

Smoke launchers would just be a button like R or whatever to deploy.

View PostTichorius Davion, on 24 March 2014 - 04:22 AM, said:

Wary of the quality of the game but the 'features' intrigue me.

I wonder to what point I can 'customize' a modern tank.

As always I withhold judgement until I try it.

There are quite a few ways, from stowed luggage, to where you put extra tracks and road wheels. The M1 alone goes from the M1, M1IPS, M1A1, M1A2, M1A2 TUSK, and M1A2 SEP. The DU shell is available from M1A2 onwards, and the SEP includes a Graphene armor layer and potentially replaces the copper wiring with fiber optic, reducing maintenance costs and weight by 2 tons. That's without the potential 25kw laser system that the Army is considering (pending results of the Navy's 30kw system being deployed this year).

I won't even go into Russian tanks. Those have an insane number of changes, upgrades, revisions, etc. There are more than enough upgrade/customization options to go around.

It even looks to include IFV's and support vehicles. I'm not how those are supposed to function, since part of the IFV's combat ability lies in the soldiers it can deploy. Maybe this game will have an actual use for machineguns.

Edited by S3dition, 24 March 2014 - 01:32 PM.

#7 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:37 PM

View PostS3dition, on 24 March 2014 - 01:31 PM, said:

This is incorrect.

Not all (in fact, very few) modern tanks are able to fire ATGM's out of the barrel. Only Russia even equips their modern tanks with the capacity to fire ATGM's, and they use pintle mounts above the turret. The US hasn't fielded a tank this way since the Starship and it's 150mm shillelagh missiles. The only other tank we had that used this was the Sheridan. Both tanks were short lived, with the Starship never entering full production.

I was a "Starship" tanker from 1978-1980. the Shillelagh was a 152mm and the fire control system (cannon and all) was adapted from the M551 Sheridan. The M60A2 was never supposed to produced in significant numbers, it was intended to be used to fire missiles across several kilometers at Soviet tanks. There was also the canister round (flechettes) and a service HEAT. The Sheridan was considered a light tank.

http://www.military-...tanks/m60a2.htm

#8 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:41 PM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 24 March 2014 - 03:37 PM, said:

I was a "Starship" tanker from 1978-1980. the Shillelagh was a 152mm and the fire control system (cannon and all) was adapted from the M551 Sheridan. The M60A2 was never supposed to produced in significant numbers, it was intended to be used to fire missiles across several kilometers at Soviet tanks. There was also the canister round (flechettes) and a service HEAT. The Sheridan was considered a light tank.

http://www.military-...tanks/m60a2.htm

Well aware, though I never crewed one :). I hear part of the problem was fouling caused by the caseless ammo and in the Sheridan's case, the fact that caseless ammo was protected by nothing more than the aluminum armor. Not a bad idea to make a tank that you can drop with Airborne... unless it has a bad habit of blowing up when hit by slightly larger arms fire.

Oh, I should edit - the Missile itself was 150mm, the cannon was 152mm.

Edited by S3dition, 24 March 2014 - 03:45 PM.

#9 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 01:00 AM

Videos of the Alpha test showing up in YouTube. The Youtubers here often do videos on World of Tanks and more recently War Thunder, so the marketing is cleverly targeting these audiences. Got to say it looks pretty good for alpha.. The execution of artillery sounds more dynamic than World of Tanks. Pretty good graphics, using the Crytek engine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users