Clan Hub Ts Server

80 replies to this topic

#1 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:29 PM

As there are several (if not all) of the Great Houses have community supported House servers, and there is Comstar's TS and NGNG's public servers, would there be any utility to having a Clan-lore centric TS for our units to share?

Would it get enough use, or is everyone basically well entrenched in their own individual small servers already do you think?

There's some internal discussion a few of us are having regarding a 512-person server dedicated to Clan-lore based units primarily. To be clear (because I wasn't when I originally posted this) it would require no one to chip in cash or superadmin the server. This would be a public access server (like Comstar, NGNG, Mercstars) that caters specifically to Clan units and Clan-related units, Clan-afficianados looking around for organized play, lonewolves just looking for matches and public players just looking for matches.

Edited by Lukoi, 24 March 2014 - 02:14 PM.

#2 Scarlet Tempest

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 111 posts
  • LocationThule System

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:21 PM

There is already a Hub website in the works for the clans and most of the heads of the clans keep good communication. So having a dedicated TS isn't really needed at the moment anyways. Once the hub website is fully operational it will be even easier to talk to others in other clans but for the most part if you wanna talk to another clan just come over and say hello At least for Clan ghost bear we always welcome our Trothkin on our website and in our TS.

#3 Lukoi Banacek

• 4,353 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:31 PM

What hub website is this?

As for need, it was not about that. It is whether or not it would be of value or not. I am taking a poll of the entire community of Clanners. Outside of CGB, what majority (as you stated "most") of Clan units are you speaking for?

#4 Scarlet Tempest

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 111 posts
  • LocationThule System

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:53 PM

The hub site isn't ready for release yet it's still being built. Coffinail had talk to most of the clan heads and sent them links already to what he had. I think once we have our hub site up and running we can look towards making a conjoin Ts server for all clans to hang out in. For the most part yes we all stay on our own TS but we're taking steps towards bringing us all together. Nova Cat, Hell's Horses, Diamond Shark, Smoke Jaguar, and Wolf are all in contact with us if your clan feels a little out of the loop or anything I don't know if we have much contact with you guys just drop a post on our forums. For a while there was just every clan on there own but I feel in the past few months we've been moving slowly towards far more camaraderie between all the clans. Hosting something like a TS would take a lot of working together and talking between the heads to get there rules and guidelines all need to be agree'd upon. One clan taking it upon them selves to host it might make the other clans feel iffy on going to it due to possible views being different so a lot of planning would be required. Starting with a hub website we can slowly expand to much more. Hopefully by time Invasion hits and CW comes into affect we will have most if not all those things sorted.

Edited by Zeries, 23 March 2014 - 09:54 PM.

#5 Cybersniper Vickers

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:02 PM

Khan BongFu of Clan Diamond Shark has tried this already. I have not seen any success with it.
http://mwomercs.com/...ration-revival/

#6 Lukoi Banacek

• 4,353 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:36 AM

And Bongfu's attempt was not the first as I noted when he opened that site. Eric Pryde attemoted a simikar thing.

Z I see what you are saying but it doesnt really go to what I am asking. Thanks anyway.

#7 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:45 AM

One interesting hitch I am noticing is that several clans still primarily use Mumble instead of TeamSpeak.  Odd, since both hosting fees are identical and more MWO organizations utilize TS.  I personally have no desire to install mumble for the three groups out there that use it. :) 

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 24 March 2014 - 05:46 AM.

#8 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:51 AM

View PostCybersniper Vickers, on 23 March 2014 - 11:02 PM, said:

Khan BongFu of Clan Diamond Shark has tried this already. I have not seen any success with it.
http://mwomercs.com/...ration-revival/

And it was not the only effort. http://www.anook.com...n/strana-mechty by Clan Jade Falcon Gyrfalcon Galaxy.

So far i have seen things work well with individual Clans having their own TS servers. They have been pretty open indeed. I have played with Ghost Bears, German Wolves and Nova Cats (our closest allies we could say) and we have helped each other filling the spots for Trials of Position for new warriors.

Honestly, i would like a "Strana Mechty" TS server but i am not sure if we desperately need one. I mean, the effort may not be worth if we can easily use our respective servers to communicate, chat and drop togheter.

#9 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:54 AM

At the least, I would request a sticky thread listing all the active player clans and their teamspeak information.  Easy, clear, and accessible in these forums.  At the least. A non-discussion thread. Just a list.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 24 March 2014 - 05:54 AM.

#10 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:18 AM

I think it would be great to have a server for tournaments on a large scale...

#11 Lukoi Banacek

• 4,353 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:57 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 24 March 2014 - 05:45 AM, said:

One interesting hitch I am noticing is that several clans still primarily use Mumble instead of TeamSpeak.  Odd, since both hosting fees are identical and more MWO organizations utilize TS.  I personally have no desire to install mumble for the three groups out there that use it. :) 

Haha truth. We have a mumble server for private comms but literally never use it. We use Comstar's NA server and it serves as a great gathering point for a large number of units and hundreds of players, both lonewolves and unit members.

This idea would be similar.....a common ground units would have their own rooms (locked or unlocked) with their own admins, public dropships for interested lonewolves to operate from and some event rooms where units could coordinate events.

While being able to pop from TS to TS is easy its not accessible really nor does it draw in interested parties like the "public servers" do. Having a Clan server that any unit could utilize or retain a nominal presence in would unify alot of these other efforts.

The reason hub websites have not worked thus far seems obvious to me tbh. We have the MWO Clan forums already. Why visit a third party website to discuss the same issues? PMs can involve multiple parties, enauring private conversations and the forums allow for the inclusive involvement of any interested in clan based things in public discussions. Websites thus far have offered no functional difference so they have not worked. They have just been "another" place to check mail essentially.

Very different issue from a centerpiece TS server.

#12 Mitzli Softpaw

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:26 AM

View PostZeries, on 23 March 2014 - 09:53 PM, said:

Hosting something like a TS would take a lot of working together and talking between the heads to get there rules and guidelines all need to be agree'd upon. One clan taking it upon them selves to host it might make the other clans feel iffy on going to it due to possible views being different so a lot of planning would be required. Starting with a hub website we can slowly expand to much more. Hopefully by time Invasion hits and CW comes into affect we will have most if not all those things sorted.

I agree with this statement. It would take a lot of combined effort on the part of quite a few clans to have something of this magnitude stick. There would have to be very clear, neutral community standards as well. At the moment, with the state of the game, I'm not sure anyone would see return on their efforts trying to pull something this massive off. It takes a lot of effort from a lot of people to create, maintain, and advertise even just a TS server, let alone a website.

Having said that, I think that a standalone TS server would see more use to the average player than a hub website. Voice chat is something that enhances the game tremendously and very directly, and while websites are nice, I agree that most players just visit the official forums. I've also found that no matter what group I'm playing with, they tend to stick in their own coms. A Clan wide TS could give people a place to drop with others when their own teams aren't online, but I feel like they already use NGNG or another public server for that.

So basic summary: It's a nice idea, but I'm not convinced there is a need for it (or enough support for it) given how past attempts have gone. I feel like it may be more trouble that it would ultimately be worth. However, I do like the idea of a non discussion list of Clan TS servers. That would be a very useful tool for the community and far easier to manage.

#13 Lukoi Banacek

• 4,353 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:40 AM

Mitzli it would take no additional community effort if we decide to do it. No cost to the various units.

Hosting and superadmin issues are covered. It would be just like it is for units who have rooms on NGNG or Comstar NA. You would control your own rooms.

As for advertising, I wager we could get the word out much the same way Comstar Irregulars do and NGNG. A sticky here, a note on the TS server mass thread, and the repeated mention via signatures and when advertising units on outreach/clan recruiting threads. Ultimately no more work than people are already doing.

Edited by Lukoi, 24 March 2014 - 07:40 AM.

#14 Mezlo Steele

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 120 posts
  • LocationRelentless Pursuit Vincent Mk.42-class Corvette. Inbound to the Inner Sphere

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:42 AM

As a relatively new clan I can only see this idea as beneficial,rather then having ten different ts servers on and having to change in between them to talk to every. Why not have one hub like the other major factions and I am not sure why people think this will be such a huge undertaking. Post in the forums a night to have all clan unit leaders to meet and hammer out the rules for such a server and how it will be payed for and get it done. I believe that is easier then playing pm or forum tag. If a unit does not want to be part of it that is their choice,though I can not see why all the clan units would not jump at this idea. I have been doing a ton to get my young unit up and running and since 3/8/14 we now have a cluster. So now I will begin getting in touch with all the other clans,any clan that has already come to our TS3 server has a channel for themselves. I welcome all the others to come to see us as I will start doing the same. our server is:

neptunium.typefrag.com:4935 No Password our website is http://clan-coyote.guildlaunch.com

Galaxy Commander Mezlo Steele

Edited by Mezlo Steele, 07 April 2014 - 12:31 PM.

#15 Lukoi Banacek

• 4,353 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:52 AM

Good stuff Mezlo.

That being said, this would be a public (but Clan lore focused....like the House Hubs) TS and it would not a Star Adder site. It would be a purely neutral TS like Comstar NA or NGNG with channels for units who wish it and public "dropships" for lonewolves, interested parties etc to share.

I do not think we would breach 512 slots anytime soon.

#16 Bongfu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 147 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:43 AM

If you wish to join Operation Revival or just want to look for a place to drop come on by

speakdls1.teamspeak.net:24334
pass: terra

It is a 60 slot teamspeak server at the moment, but I could upgrade it very easily.

The Jade Wolves, Clan Diamond Shark, and Ransom's Corsairs (freeborn unit we are dropping with in Marik) all frequent it as well as Clan Goliath Scorpion (Antares Scorpion sub-unit).

I would love to build upon this from what I have already built. I have a community forum of our own, but sadly it needs people willing to generate content. With the lull in MWO activity and the biased now against the Clans, I imagine the road will get even tougher for us.

Though, if you want to find a place, I am willing to pick the pieces back up and try again.

#17 sansDaedalus

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 24 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:11 AM

I am of a similar mind, Lukoi and Mezlo Steele. I feel that while there have been failed attempts in the past, with the impending arrival of Clan tech and the early stages of community warfare now is the time for the Clans to begin coordinating in earnest so as to prepare for Operation Revival. While those that know us are aware that Ghost Bear can be slow to act, once we take to something we do so with zeal and earnest labor. I have recently been pushing for a more inter-connected Clan community within our ranks, and hopefully that is going to generate fruit in the near future. I will keep you and the rest who are interested updated as to Clan Ghost Bear's stance on the matter as it develops.

#18 ManaValkyrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 507 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:41 AM

Just my few pence worth here, I can say from experience, if you get a single clan hub server up, you actually can get a consistent server population online at any time of the day, allowing for regular drop partners when people randomly drop in as well as encourage friendly inter-unit/clan rivalry.

But it's a lot of continous hard work to keep it civil sometimes and keep it going, an example would be how fragmented my own IS House faction is, almost Every unit in the DCMS, has its own TS server, several groups won't even generally join onto some unit TS's.etc, which has killed off the primary hub server.

This in my case was also why i stopped planning and hosting House Kurita events, when other than a handful of regulars and a few friends from other units, hardly anyone from the faction would come onto the hub. Which has actually led to a more fragmented community in General.

#19 Mitzli Softpaw

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:48 AM

View PostLukoi, on 24 March 2014 - 07:40 AM, said:

Mitzli it would take no additional community effort if we decide to do it. No cost to the various units.

Hosting and superadmin issues are covered. It would be just like it is for units who have rooms on NGNG or Comstar NA. You would control your own rooms.

As for advertising, I wager we could get the word out much the same way Comstar Irregulars do and NGNG. A sticky here, a note on the TS server mass thread, and the repeated mention via signatures and when advertising units on outreach/clan recruiting threads. Ultimately no more work than people are already doing.

If that's the case then I don't see a drawback really. I wasn't aware that hosting and superadmin were already worked out somewhere - it was my assumption that a server had to have someone paying for it and someone doing admin for it, or am I incorrect? (I may well be, hence asking.) And as Bongfu noted, the Operation Revival TS has space for additional clans - there are four units on it at the moments and we all have found that it goes a long way toward fostering teamwork between the various groups. I'm not against the idea at all (we're already doing the same thing, but smaller scale), I just want to be sure it's solid and has the support it takes to sustain it. And figure out what, exactly, that support entails from anyone involved.

#20 ManaValkyrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 507 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:01 PM

With regards to TS Servers, you can pay for server hosting which mitigates a lot of hardware/security issues, and provides technical support. However, 'game clan and non-profit organisations' can obtain a free 512 person TS server license direct from TS but you then have to have someone running said server for you, one of your players.etc.

With regards to Admin/TS maintenance, most players can manage it and once people get the hang on the user interface for setting up channels/server groups and such they are pretty self sustaining with basically minimal supervision, although some is always good.

Edited by ManaValkyrie, 24 March 2014 - 12:02 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users