21 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Oakenwall - the khadoran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 165 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:45 AM

Well I can afford a new mech to start fooling around with.Been eyeing these 2

I do really like my shadow hawks and i want jump jets, what do these 2 new mediums bring that would complement my shadow hawks.

Been thinking something with Ac and some srm maybe.

Pro and con on these mechs!?

#2 N a p e s

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:02 AM

Both are pretty fun to play but the Griffin is my choice between the two and one of my favorite mechs overall. None of these are ballistic-heavy mechs so you do have to really on a mix of SRMs (or SSRMS) and lasers. In that sense the Wolverine does offer a bit more variety because it does have a ballistics variant. Regardless the Griffin is a great medium mech that can fill the long range support role or be more of a striker/flanker mech.

#3 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:05 AM

Other than the 6R which has ballistics in the arm, I liked the Griffins.

#4 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:14 AM

I think the Wolverine has a slightly better hitbox than the Griffin and that the better pitch range is more useful currently than the Griffin's superior torso twist.

#5 DONTOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:18 AM

View PostNgamok, on 24 March 2014 - 11:05 AM, said:

Other than the 6R which has ballistics in the arm, I liked the Griffins.

do you mean Wolverines?
the 6R is a wolverine with a balistic arm.

#6 Mirkk Defwode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 748 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSeattle, Wa

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:20 AM

I like my Wolverines, still haven't mucked about too much in the Griffons.

#7 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:30 AM

View PostDONTOR, on 24 March 2014 - 11:18 AM, said:

do you mean Wolverines?

I shouldn't have made it so short.

I liked the Wolverine 6R but all in all I liked the Griffins much better.

#8 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:41 AM

Ahh i see it now.

I dont have Grifons yet, and Im not in a hurry to get them although I do like the cockpit view when i spectate one.
I have Shawks and Wolverines, and between the 2 I think there isnt much the Griffon can do that these 2 cant. Out of all of the 55 toners though the WVR 6K is my favorte so far because of its speed (121.5KPH)and laser fist O doom.

#9 EyeOne

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,488 posts
  • LocationCockpit, Stone Rhino

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:53 AM

You really can't go wrong with any of the Griffins in my opinion.

Griffin-1N: Heavily favors the right side, but that lets you use the left as a shield. I have a (1) ERPPC, (2) Medium Laser, (3) Streak2 setup in this mech and it's very effective.

Griffin-1S: I have this one built to fly, (1) ER Large, (3) Mediums, (2) Streak 2s along with an XL350 (113kph) and all 7 Jump Jets make this thing a nimble mech. Protect that right arm though.

Griffin-3M: The build on this one changes all the time but right now it's (1) ER PPC, (1) MPL/TAG, (4) LRM5s with a XL300 (97.2kph). This build is generally successful. It's more fun than it is effective.

Now, obviously you need all the Wolverines to elite them but the 6R is the only noteworthy to me.

Wolverine-6R: I love this mech so much. (2) AC2s, (3) LRM5s, (1) Medium Laser with an XL280 and JJs.

Wolverine-6K: This is a Griffin-1S just worse. It has the benefit of a energy hardpoint in the head but only has 1 missile hardpoint instead of two and no JJs. The extra engine size is not useful. If you like the look of this mech the Griffin-1S will probably work better.

Wolverine-7K: Will be great when SRMs are fixed.

#10 Mike Oakenwall - the khadoran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 165 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:59 AM

thanks for the quick replies, i just went and got myself a griffin-1N
Going with SRM and 2 large lasers, though no AMS, might be a problem.

#11 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:04 PM

View PostDONTOR, on 24 March 2014 - 11:18 AM, said:

do you mean Wolverines?

That is what he said. He liked the 6R, but beyond that model, preferred the Griffin. Which I feel largely the same. I do prefer a ballistic, but find the energy/missile versions, the Griffin smokes the Wolverine.

View Postdeanon, on 24 March 2014 - 11:59 AM, said:

thanks for the quick replies, i just went and got myself a griffin-1N
Going with SRM and 2 large lasers, though no AMS, might be a problem.

Tell how you do. I changed mine up. Still no AMS (I think) but went with a single heavy energy (PPC), 2 mediums, 2 SSRM racks and a single LRM15. Been having a lot of fun with it. Average damage is mediocre, but it's actual effectiveness and ability to support the team is quite good.

View PostSpheroid, on 24 March 2014 - 11:14 AM, said:

I think the Wolverine has a slightly better hitbox than the Griffin and that the better pitch range is more useful currently than the Griffin's superior torso twist.

Does it have better hitboxes? I honestly haven't noticed much difference, and since I use a mix of LRMs and Streaks, the pitch is not as big a deal for me, whereas my twist allows me to tank damage well. But I also admit, I find the weapon layout for the WVR just doesn't suit me, so I could be showing confirmation bias.

#12 Hans Von Lohman

• Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:25 PM

Wolverines are a mixed bag. The original one, the 6R is the only one with a gun (or two guns as it stands), the 2nd one has no jump jets, and the third one is the most well rounded. I've taken to putting an LB-10x on the 6R and started to finally get decent games with what was otherwise a Centurion that was missing the 2nd medium laser, but could jump.

However, I prefer the Griffon, particularly the third variant that has a chest energy slot. I don't like losing all my energy weapons in my arm, so having the "big gun" large laser or PPC in the chest is what I prefer. They're also nice because they all can jump.

My vote is for the Griffon.

#13 Maverick27

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:17 PM

I agree with what others have said: As a chassis, the Griffin is best but for a single mech, the Wolverine 6R is amazing (possibly my favorite in the game right now). So I guess it depends whether you're looking for just a fun mech to play or a chassis to master.

FYI, I run the 6R with 3xSSRM, AC10, MPL and XL300

#14 Mike Oakenwall - the khadoran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 165 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:48 PM

Well I plan to master them eventually, so went with the griffon..
Been really happy so faar, even if i cant quite get exactly what i want, might downgrade the engine a tad just.

GRF-1N

2LLasers
16srm
xml300
3 JJ

#15 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:42 PM

View PostHans Von Lohman, on 24 March 2014 - 01:25 PM, said:

Wolverines are a mixed bag. The original one, the 6R is the only one with a gun (or two guns as it stands), the 2nd one has no jump jets, and the third one is the most well rounded. I've taken to putting an LB-10x on the 6R and started to finally get decent games with what was otherwise a Centurion that was missing the 2nd medium laser, but could jump.

However, I prefer the Griffon, particularly the third variant that has a chest energy slot. I don't like losing all my energy weapons in my arm, so having the "big gun" large laser or PPC in the chest is what I prefer. They're also nice because they all can jump.

My vote is for the Griffon.

I own many mechs, but this is my "personal" ride
GRF-3M
Posted Image
I just hope they don't pooch the Hero like they did my poor Hunchy.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 24 March 2014 - 11:46 PM.

#16 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:11 AM

I have both, but prefer the Griffins.
Can't really figure out how to make the Wolverine work for me.

GRF-1N - Brawler
3x ML and 2x ASRM6. SRM detection is mostly broken now, but on those rare occasion when they work this mech is devastating up close.

GRF-1S - Mix
A mix range fighter packing a PPC, 2x ML and LRM5+10, play as direct fire support to brawlers.

GRF-3M - Light Hunter
A basic streak boat light hunter; 4x SSRM2 and 2x MPL

#17 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts
  • LocationCSR Mountbatton awaiting clearance for tactical deployment

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:16 AM

Imo, the Wolverine.

The Griffin is really good for hunting lights especially with it's torso twist and is solid, but virtually everyone knows to hit the right side and you can easily be disarmed in a Griffin.

The Wolverine is just as effective as a light hunter, the Ballistic slot gives it an edge in FLD and the hard points are more spread across the chassis meaning its usually got something to offer in the fight.

6R is the preferred, but the other one with jumpjets is pretty damn good too.

#18 Jack Avery

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 234 posts
  • LocationSwimming in the lava pools of the Pug Zapper of Mordor, Planet Terra Derpa

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:35 PM

I must be the weirdo in the group, as the 6R is bar far my least favorite Wolverine. I'm just not a fan of ballistics as I feel like I have to skimp on too many other areas to make it work. I much prefer the laser arms of the other two.

On the other hand, the Wolverines take XL engines like a boss, not squishy at all. That might just be all the LRMs out there spreading damage around, though. Pretty easy to soak a few hits if you keep turning.

#19 Fuggles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 518 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:54 PM

the griffin 1n and 3m are alot of fun. i cant say between the wolverines or griffins wich are better, i havent played the wolverines, but i really enjoy the griffins.

in the 1n i run a xl300, 3asrm6 with 4t ammo, 3 mlas 6JJs and 13DHS. theres just something to be said about jumping from the bottom of the garage on crimson straight up to the top, firing those srms into a missile boats back and disappearing before they knew what hit them.

in the 3m, xl320, 7JJ, 4ssrms ppc and mlas, beagle and 11 DHS. plays like a shd-2d2, just with a PPC instead of an ac10. oh wait, i guess i should say it plays like a shd-2d2 just faster and able to leap over buildings and twist its torso so it can look backwards lol.

#20 Jack Avery

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 234 posts
  • LocationSwimming in the lava pools of the Pug Zapper of Mordor, Planet Terra Derpa

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:02 PM

Thought I should poke my head back in here. I gave the WVR-6R some more time and found a loadout I actually love...using the LB 10-X, of all things. Oh, and two SRM six-packs, which do most of the work, rounded out with a MPL, three JJ, and an XL 280. Not the fastest, out there, but fast enough to get me out of (and into!) trouble. To top it off, I've only unlocked Basics on it; should fee awesome after Elite!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users