Ability To Walk Around Your Mechs In Mechlab - Aye Or Nay

39 replies to this topic

Poll: Walk around ability in mechlab (119 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to be able to walk around your mechs in first and third person view in the mechlab?

1. Yes (85 votes [71.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 71.43%

2. No (34 votes [28.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Nik Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 134 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:52 PM

How cool would it be to be able to walk around your mechlab, and be able to look up at your mechs and climb into them etc, like you can with ships in the Star Citizen hangar??

Would add a massive amount of immersion, especially with 3D and Rift support down the road..

Edited by Nik Kerensky, 25 March 2014 - 12:53 PM.

#2 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:19 PM

Star Citizen has components of the game specifically outside of the ship cockpit. Personal combat, etc.

Since this franchise has no components outside of the 'Mech cockpit (and never has), there is no reason to complicate it. It's all about being a MechWarrior, the human pilot of a giant war machine. Without the giant war machine, the pilot is just a human.

Lots of people already think they've screwed up the parts of the game they've tried to do. Doing this would do two things -- give them more (unrelated to MechWarrior) stuff to screw up on, and further delay the fixes to the stuff we already have.

#3 Alex Warden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:50 PM

nah not really, unless PGI decides to make that a feature that will be further developed.. just walking around in your hangar and watch the mechs gets boring fast and would take too many dev ressources for not much "profit"...

as an example: battle star galactica online has station walking, but it´s more annoying than cool really, because it has no purpose or true effect on the gameplay... weither you do a real character-realated game, or you leave it... my 0.02 CB...

Edited by Alex Warden, 25 March 2014 - 08:51 PM.

#4 Omi_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:22 AM

As an eventual thing for immersion's sake, I would really like this. However, I don't think it's realistic to expect out of 'Mech stuff anytime soon.

#5 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:51 AM

waste of time. it adds absolutely nothing to the game. its called mechwarrior online not walk around in a hanger looking at my mech online.

#6 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:09 AM

View PostKhobai, on 26 March 2014 - 04:51 AM, said:

waste of time. it adds absolutely nothing to the game. its called mechwarrior online not walk around in a hanger looking at my mech online.

You mean other than being completely awesome, then you are right it adds nothing to the gameplay. But immersion is a big factor, and there's no real feeling that you are piloting a big machine as opposed to a man in a godzilla suit stomping around a miniaturized set piece.

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 26 March 2014 - 06:10 AM.

#7 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:11 AM

You mean other than being completely awesome, then you are right it adds nothing to the gameplay. But immersion is a big factor,

I dont disagree that immersion is a big factor. But walking around in a hanger staring at your mech hardly qualifies as immersion. The three best ways to add immersion to mechwarrior online are consequently also the three things other mechwarrior/mechcommander games had that mechwarrior online doesnt.

1) campaign style missions with proper salvage/repair/rearm
2) infantry/vehicles/vtols, destructable trees/buildings, and functional structures
3) complete ambient/techno/metal soundtrack with 15+ tracks

#8 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:04 AM

It would be cool but there is one major thing that stops me from voting yes.

What would they need to do to make this happen?
They would need to make it possible to climb into the mech which means handholds or at least a door you could open near the cockpit from a gantry in the mechlab.
They would have to do this with each mech. That's a lot of work.

They would have to improve upon the details of the current mechlab to make it feel really big so it can hold giant assault mechs.
I'm certain there is a lot of other stuff i'm forgetting.

It would require a lot of PGI's workforce to make this happen. Their 3D artists would have a lot of work.
These resources should be used to improve upon the current game rather than add this feature.

In any case. Imagine how many new maps these 3D artists could make instead. Bigger maps. More maps.

#9 tucsonspeed6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 408 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:31 AM

I actually like how this feature was implemented in EVE. It adds to immersion. I would love to be able to walk my mech jock around a jumpship and navigate the available options of the UI in that format eventually. The key word there, though, is 'eventually'. Like, unforeseeable future.

#10 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:14 AM

View PostKhobai, on 26 March 2014 - 08:11 AM, said:

I dont disagree that immersion is a big factor. But walking around in a hanger staring at your mech hardly qualifies as immersion. The three best ways to add immersion to mechwarrior online are consequently also the three things other mechwarrior/mechcommander games had that mechwarrior online doesnt.

1) campaign style missions with proper salvage/repair/rearm
2) infantry/vehicles/vtols, destructable trees/buildings, and functional structures
3) complete ambient/techno/metal soundtrack with 15+ tracks

Baby steps I guess... plus those 3 sound orders of magnitude more resource intensive to produce than letting us walk around first person in an already rendered environment.

#11 OP8

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 142 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:02 PM

Oh these machines are big? I never would have guessed that considering the complete dismissal of demonstrating relative scale. Not a single human being anywhere to be observed. Aren't these just slow versions of those relatable and immersive machines in Hawken? They all seem the same size minus some toy cars on the ground between these shipping crates that look like buildings. So the "atlas" is like 15 feet high or what?

#12 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:41 PM

View Posttucsonspeed6, on 26 March 2014 - 09:31 AM, said:

I actually like how this feature was implemented in EVE. It adds to immersion. I would love to be able to walk my mech jock around a jumpship and navigate the available options of the UI in that format eventually.

Yeah, and the vast majority of EVE players spoke their mind ... which is why Captain's Quarters is as far as "Walking in Stations" ever went.

Not every game needs to be The Sims.

#13 Woodstock

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationKrakow

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:47 PM

You dont have to be able to WALK around ... but make the hangar feel more like a hangar with lots of mechs ... so when you rotate ... you see all your mechs lined up round the wall/

#14 Morang

• 1,259 posts
  • LocationHeart of Darkness

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:59 PM

They have _very_ scarce resources. Their core game mechanics is still not complete (ongoing balancing of everything, Clan stuff not implemented yet, physics almost non-existent), content is scanty (barring mechs - they are numerous, but there's not enough maps, and these are harder to create), metagame remains vaporware for ages, new UI has been stillborn and can only be brought to life in a form of Frankenstein monster after extensive patching.

Now, do you really think that mech bay walks is what we need?

On the other hand, rotating mech by mouse looks strange for me as well. I'm used to WoT hangar where you can rotate camera inside the hangar around your tank. That will allow rotation in both axes and will looks more realistic. Some objects could be added to hangar for scale (kinda forkloader with human-sized cabin, or even something dynamic - maybe techs passing by out of one door into another from time to time - PGI already has 3D models of techs in orange robes).

But, but... AFTER CW!!!

#15 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:30 AM

I vote Yes, but something like this is very low priority for the foreseeable future.

#16 Nik Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 134 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:42 AM

bump

#17 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:50 PM

I'd be all for a mech lab like the pilot quarters in EVE.

It'd be cool to be able to walk around your mech lab and see your mechs from human-scale in 1st or 3rd person.

#18 MisterPlanetarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 910 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:56 AM

Would be kinda neat but ultimately a waste of resources right now. Besides, I have bad experiences from EVE Online when CCP tried this in 2011.

#19 The Black Knight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:46 AM

This would be cool, but it is not something I want them to devote time and resources to at this time.

#20 tucsonspeed6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 408 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:43 AM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 26 March 2014 - 12:41 PM, said:

Yeah, and the vast majority of EVE players spoke their mind ... which is why Captain's Quarters is as far as "Walking in Stations" ever went.

Not every game needs to be The Sims.

Sorry, I'll be sure to put my next post on a picture of a puffin so it makes sense to the lowest common denominator.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users