Different Faction - Pirates

52 replies to this topic

Poll: Include a Pirate faction? (119 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you support this suggestion?

1. Yes (96 votes [80.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 80.67%

2. No (19 votes [15.97%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.97%

3. Voted Abstain (4 votes [3.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.36%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 20 May 2015 - 05:06 PM

The biggest problem I see with Pirates as a faction is the factions are about territorial control.
Pirates conquering the galaxy seems out of line with their expected behaviour of loot, loot,loot.

Perhaps introducing a Raid option to CW would fit the style.
ie. A particular match type that is more akin to conquest mode but enabled in CW.
If these Raid matches had an effect on the standard Invasion matches, perhaps by effecting drop deck tonnage as a way of saying that the supply lines have been disrupted, that might work.
There are a lot of additional components that would need looking at.

At some point we might see pirates, but I would think it's so far off the to do list at the moment that it's still just a note on a beer coaster.

#42 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 21 May 2015 - 01:12 AM

Shiver me Timberwolves, this is an excellent idea!

Pirates! Becouse everything's better with pirates!

I would make them a faction, but with a twist. They can attack any planet, regardless of faction boundaries, but they cannot hold the teritorry. Instead, they get a faction coffer boost if they capture a planet. The planet never changes hands, they just get c-bills, salvage and etc.

I would give them a fixed single "homeworld" in each faction's space, except clan space.

This would offcourse mean that holding a planet in normal regular CW would have to have some benefit, and faction coffers some significant use..

#43 Twilight Fenrir

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 07:52 PM

I'd like to see Pirates, been advocating that for a while :P

I'd also like to see lore Merc Units. Kell Hounds, Wolf's Dragoons, Eridani Light Horse, Northwind Highlanders, etc... This could be used as a CW balancing mechanism. But, I think i'll start my own thread for that one...

#44 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:27 PM

I can see the Pirate faction being a darker equivalent for the Lone Wolf/Merc Corp.

#45 Davy J0nes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 139 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:30 PM

Pirates please.

Edited by Fanto, 23 September 2015 - 01:30 PM.

#46 MechWarrior319348

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 997 posts
  • LocationInside a straightjacket

Posted 07 June 2016 - 06:43 PM

muahahahahahaha i bump this because im bad!

#47 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:10 AM

Pirate units would be easy to create.

Players form a unit, but rather than taking out a contract with a faction they can only answer call-to-arms like freelancers.

In essence pirates are nothing but a bunch of freelancers banding together.

#48 Lolo van Trollinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 167 posts
  • LocationTrollhejmr

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:54 AM

all your base are belong to us. Hand over the loot, now.

#49 MechWarrior319348

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 997 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:03 PM

seems like a lot of poll yeses for this to be ignored.

#50 Captain Artemis

• PipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 10:14 AM

Simply saying - great idea!

Whenever Faction Play will introduce specific mechanics balancing the game itself, this would be hilarious. Mechanics that will have high impact on "Pirates" gameplay, like for example:
  • Supply-lines for Clans - because their factories are far away, and their equipment somehow need to get their way to Terra.
  • Logistic-lines for Inner Sphere - for the all interstellar civilization purpose, either for transport, or sending equipment from the precious factory to the destination point.
  • Equipment economy working around factories that produce it - that plus logistic lines above.
On the other hand in case of their equipment, why not introduce "repair and rearm" system for them? Salvage should be the key role in their gameplay, while also their actions should have determine the overall "Black Market".

Lastly, being a pirate should be either "one way in", or "very hard redeem yourself", with serious reputation impact.

#51 Strattus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 106 posts
  • LocationKazakhstan

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:40 AM

View Post50 50, on 20 May 2015 - 05:06 PM, said:

The biggest problem I see with Pirates as a faction is the factions are about territorial control.
Pirates conquering the galaxy seems out of line with their expected behaviour of loot, loot,loot.

Perhaps introducing a Raid option to CW would fit the style.
ie. A particular match type that is more akin to conquest mode but enabled in CW.
If these Raid matches had an effect on the standard Invasion matches, perhaps by effecting drop deck tonnage as a way of saying that the supply lines have been disrupted, that might work.
There are a lot of additional components that would need looking at.

At some point we might see pirates, but I would think it's so far off the to do list at the moment that it's still just a note on a beer coaster.

I think you are right about a new game type in the base case..... what if there was an objective capture (i.e. a train, or small group of barges, or caravan of all-terrain transports depending on the map) where there was a single moving objective. Each defender and attacker would get major bonus XP and C-Bills for each additional percentage unit of the objective that survived until the end of the match. Would be a great to roll out with the introduction of the Pirate faction! I also think this would break up the stagnation of conquest, but not require duration of games like CW.

Tickets would accumulate for attacking team for proximity to the objective (simulating control of the objective), forcing the attacking team to move quickly and decisively. Defending team would be playing against the clock, or rather the speed of travel along the route. Defensive strategy will also require moving lines and skill to not expose rear armour from constant retreat. Would be fantastic to see games with pick-and-roll type gameplay! Not to mention the good ambush!

A raid gametype would also fit well with the houses and the clans, as this is still a standard objective gametype. Again, just slightly different loadouts, tactics, and team movements would be required for a moving objective.

Heck, Canyon network already includes a rail line! Posted Image

Edited by Strattus, 07 July 2016 - 07:41 AM.

#52 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 04:25 PM

With the formation of pirates I thought about the idea of people making a freelancer based merc corp, but rather than create a unit, the group could form around a VOIP server similar to pre-Phase 1 groups. It May not make sense game wise, but it could be a thing for people playing the role because when you think about it, Pirates raid for treasure while Mercs fight for money. Even the clan Dark Caste and Periphery factions could start like that.

Edited by Will9761, 08 July 2016 - 04:30 PM.

#53 MechWarrior319348

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 997 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 01:14 PM

Ill never give up, mauahahahahahha!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users