181 replies to this topic

#21 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:48 AM

Okay, some serious stuff about to happen... despite the Clan tech coming in, I'm liking what I'm seeing, here. Thank you for letting us all know.

#22 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:54 AM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 27 March 2014 - 10:47 AM, said:

not yet man, this is just a heads up

Well, it has to be released onto the server BEFORE the weekend. Every single time a Public Test Server update occurs, not enough time occurs for people to prep/prepare for the update, causing issues that occur DURING a PTS session to vary (essentially bug reports because people's download of the game is partly corrupt) so I've sent a message to the guy (or team) responsible for the MWO Repair Tool for an official update.

It is actually imperative that the stuff you are downloading/patching is "correct" to remove unintended errors in the process of testing the new stuff. Otherwise, it's just another "patch day extended hell" for some people.

#23 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:08 AM

PGI - "Hey we need to upgrade some stuff maybe in preparation for Launch Module loads, we'll let you know"

Community Members - "QQ, Money Grab, N.O.P.E., Tinfoil Hats"

#24 Zack Esseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 248 posts
  • LocationRith Essa

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:13 AM

Putting a link to the clan sales page makes it look like a money grab. Still hoping its a hint that we will get to test clans. But not going to be surprised if we don't.

#25 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:16 AM

Being asked if i want to uninstall Mechwarrior when I click the download button.

This is I hope, the test server, and not the live game version its reffering to

#26 N Danger

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:19 AM

Well the only time the Public test server is going to be up long enough for me to get on it will be when I will not be able to play. :rolleyes:

But it is good that it will be up for a longer session this time.

#27 Magic Murder Bag

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Naraka and Shinkoku

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:23 AM

View PostNgamok, on 27 March 2014 - 11:08 AM, said:

PGI - "Hey we need to upgrade some stuff maybe in preparation for Launch Module loads, we'll let you know"

Community Members - "QQ, Money Grab, N.O.P.E., Tinfoil Hats"

What did you expect in these forums nowadays, people being nice to each other?

Edited by Magic Murder Bag, 27 March 2014 - 11:24 AM.

#28 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:23 AM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 27 March 2014 - 09:55 AM, said:

Wave 1: Monday, March 31st @ 10 PM PDT - April 1st @ 10 AM PST (Est. 12 hours)This is a significant Data Migration. So that Pilots are not left

Just to mitigate the QQ now, if you weren't paying attention to the times, this is an OVERNIGHT migration from PM to AM. So, EU/Pacifica guys, you finally get your PTS time :rolleyes:

View PostDeathlike, on 27 March 2014 - 10:54 AM, said:

Well, it has to be released onto the server BEFORE the weekend. Every single time a Public Test Server update occurs, not enough time occurs for people to prep/prepare for the update, causing issues that occur DURING a PTS session to vary (essentially bug reports because people's download of the game is partly corrupt) so I've sent a message to the guy (or team) responsible for the MWO Repair Tool for an official update.

It is actually imperative that the stuff you are downloading/patching is "correct" to remove unintended errors in the process of testing the new stuff. Otherwise, it's just another "patch day extended hell" for some people.

QFT, though in all likelyhood, PTS info/download wont be made until Monday morning (because that's how PGI rolls), followed by the obligatory posts of "Can't log in" because they didn't notice the test times.

Edited by Roadbeer, 27 March 2014 - 11:26 AM.

#29 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:26 AM

View PostDamocles69, on 27 March 2014 - 10:39 AM, said:

Please just fix SRMs.

The 1st might help.

We'll see. I want my 22 tubes to feel like a weapon.

#30 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:38 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 27 March 2014 - 11:26 AM, said:

The 1st might help.

We'll see. I want my 22 tubes to feel like a weapon.

I think you're the only person that is consistently sad about the demise of SRMs. You need a hug.

#31 Andru

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:40 AM

Do those of us with Premium time active get reimbursed for the lost playing time?

#32 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:41 AM

View PostDamocles69, on 27 March 2014 - 10:39 AM, said:

Please just fix SRMs.

Know how you lead a target to hit it when it's fast?
Do that with SRMs, but... lead to hit the air in front of the target instead of leading to hit the target.
Alternatively, aim to hit the target and chain fire.
Watch things shred in seconds.

SRMs when fired in bulk cause a number of 'checks' to see if you hit, warping the target for host state rewind in such a way that causes bad detection. Add to this that the server runs on 100 frames per second so anything between 0.01 and 0.02 seconds is lost (which can happen on weird angles especially with lots of missiles causing some to fail to register). Chainfire reduces the checks, allowing much more accurate registration and reduces the chances of between-frame-missile-loss.

Alternatively, by the time the server gets to the checks, the enemy is actually ahead of where you think they are and fired at. While the missiles fly right past the target (client-side effect), massive damage visually erupts all over it. Sometimes with missiles just whizzing right by a Jenner or Commando without even touching it, I'll get many component destructions and a kill message.

Take your pick to make them work until PGI gets around to it. Chain fire or aim for the air ahead of faster targets.

Players. Try this. If it works for you, throw a like on this post to endorse it.

My own ping is between 60 and 120.
You may need to aim ahead even with chain fire if your ping is worse, and farther ahead than described with the all at once lead ahead to "hit air" in front of enemy method.
If your ping is lower, you should not need to aim much ahead at all.

Edited by Koniving, 27 March 2014 - 01:04 PM.

#33 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:43 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 27 March 2014 - 11:38 AM, said:

I think you're the only person that is consistently sad about the demise of SRMs. You need a hug.

Can they be delivered by 10 Kg high explosive warheads?

#34 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:44 AM

View PostRoadbeer, on 27 March 2014 - 11:23 AM, said:

Just to mitigate the QQ now, if you weren't paying attention to the times, this is an OVERNIGHT migration from PM to AM. So, EU/Pacifica guys, you finally get your PTS time :rolleyes:

Having just quoted that (I skimmed it, thinking it was 10AM PST on Monday instead of 10PM PST (1AM EST Tuesday)... I'm not sure if I want to commit to this at all (I'd have to stay up late or get up early to make the most out of it).

QFT, though in all likelyhood, PTS info/download wont be made until Monday morning (because that's how PGI rolls), followed by the obligatory posts of "Can't log in" because they didn't notice the test times.

Considering that PGI is unlikely to monitor the PTS server during those hours... at least until towards the end, I guess everyone playing in European times would benefit the most (or not benefit, since they are unable to play on the main servers).

TBH, it doesn't make sense to me unless a 24-hour session is made available, and not 12-hours. Give everyone an opportunity to test, even if it is 1 day. Alas, this is not in the cards.

#35 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:45 AM

View PostAndru, on 27 March 2014 - 11:40 AM, said:

Do those of us with Premium time active get reimbursed for the lost playing time?

It clearly states in the OP that it will be refunded.

<P>Greetings MechWarriors! <BR><BR>A <A href="http://www.mwomercs.com/clans">new enemy draws closer</A> to the Inner Sphere. We are taking defensive initiatives to prepare for this onslaught with a series of server-side hardware changes and data migration, which we would like to prepare you for as well:<BR><BR><STRONG>Wave 1: Monday, March 31st @ 10 PM PDT - April 1st @ 10 AM PST (Est. 12 hours)</STRONG> This is a significant Data Migration. So that Pilots are not left idle throughout this period: <STRONG>We have scheduled our next Public Test to take place during this 12 hour window.<BR></STRONG><BR><STRONG>Wave 2: Tuesday, April 1st @ 10 AM PDT - 12 PM PDT (Est 2 hours)</STRONG> Upon completion of the Data Migration, we will be deploying our <STRONG>April 1st patch</STRONG> with a focus on stability fixes.<BR><BR><STRONG>Wave 3: Friday, April 4th @ 10 AM PDT - 12 PM PDT (Est. 2 hours)</STRONG> This is a minor maintenance to upgrade server hardware.<BR><BR>During these maintenance periods, the game servers will be unavailable. <STRONG>You will not be able to login to the website/game, nor purchase MC until the maintenance is completed</STRONG>. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause. Active Premium Time will be reimbursed upon completion of the operations.<BR><BR>We are eager to take in your feedback for both the Public Test and Patch on the forums upon the completion of these operations.<BR><BR>Please <A href="http://patcher.mwomercs.com/installer/PublicTest/MechWarriorOnlineInstaller.exe">Click here</A> to Pre-download the Public Test Installer. Stay tuned to the <A href="http://mwomercs.com/forums/forum/233-public-test/">Public Test Forum </A>for more details.</P>
<P> Please check out the Spoiler for more details from Matt Craig on what's going on!

Edited by DEMAX51, 27 March 2014 - 11:47 AM.

#36 Ransack

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:49 AM

View PostAndru, on 27 March 2014 - 11:40 AM, said:

says so right in the OP... Twice

Active Premium Time will be reimbursed upon completion of the operations.

Premium time will be credited back to users impacted by these downtimes and we appreciate your patience while we do the work necessary to build the foundation for future updates to MWO." -Matt Craig

We are eager to take in your feedback for both the Public Test and Patch on the forums upon the completion of these operations.

This gave me a laugh though. I'm STILL waiting for the feedback from UI 2.0 to even be read.

edit, curses foiled again.

Edited by Ransack, 27 March 2014 - 11:50 AM.

#37 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:52 AM

View PostRansack, on 27 March 2014 - 11:49 AM, said:

This gave me a laugh though. I'm STILL waiting for the feedback from UI 2.0 to even be read.

That's a blatant mischaracterization.
They read them, but to paraphrase Russ in NGNG #105

"We know fun better than you"

#38 AlexEss

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:54 AM

Oh well... Theni have to re-install the test server... or get a bigger hardrive.. =P

Beyond that it is nice to have something to do.

#39 Tannhauser Gate

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:57 AM

I would make sure you announce this IN GAME AT LOGIN so all players see it. Alot of people arent in groups and only go to the forums on patch Tuesdays.

#40 Sable

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 924 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:01 PM

View PostMatt Newman, on 27 March 2014 - 10:30 AM, said:

There will be details about what is going to be on PTS (public test server) before it goes up on Monday.

Well could you let us know before the weekend? I no longer have PTS client installed as it wasn't used often enough to be worth the extra couple gigs it was taking up.... So i can decide if its worth downloading again.

Edited by Sable, 27 March 2014 - 12:02 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users