Rvn 4X

72 replies to this topic

#1 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:59 AM

With the free mech bay from PGI, I decided to show some CCAF pride by permanently buying a RVN 4X to accompany my 3L.

But this thing is just gawd awful. I knew it was going to be a challenge, and I played it when I elited my 3L, but it went beyond my expectations. The best I can come up with right now, after trying some close range builds, is a PPC+LL poptart.

Also did 2xML+LB-10X skirmisher which never survives long and PPC+SRM6+ML poptart.

So here's the question, does anyone else have fun running the 4X? I want to make this a unique mech among my arsenal but I also don't want to feel useless when I pilot it.

#2 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:18 AM

View PostBlackhawkSC, on 29 March 2014 - 04:59 AM, said:

With the free mech bay from PGI, I decided to show some CCAF pride by permanently buying a RVN 4X to accompany my 3L.

But this thing is just gawd awful. I knew it was going to be a challenge, and I played it when I elited my 3L, but it went beyond my expectations. The best I can come up with right now, after trying some close range builds, is a PPC+LL poptart.

Also did 2xML+LB-10X skirmisher which never survives long and PPC+SRM6+ML poptart.

So here's the question, does anyone else have fun running the 4X? I want to make this a unique mech among my arsenal but I also don't want to feel useless when I pilot it.

You have the opportunity to run a Super-Urbanmech!

#3 GizmoGecko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 321 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:44 AM

An Urbanmech-esque build with enough heatsinks ;) http://mwo.smurfy-ne...49af9b17b9039bb

Here's what I run, I find it pretty fun: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...38f7c548d2f6942

Or swap for an Ultra and take off the Lrm 5: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...55dd889b28306c4

And another one in my mechlab: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...243952bf301f06e

Edited by GizmoGecko, 29 March 2014 - 05:59 AM.

#4 Kyrs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 176 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:21 AM

It one of my favorite variant of the ravens.

101kph: ac20 an med laser variant & jj: (work great in pairs)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...503d1e445613f62

101kph: Dual ac2 long range support & jj: (advance zoom very useful)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...675ce824122dfd9

Note:One must keep moving with those setup since there no armor in cockpit and is a bit low in the armor.

Got those two in my mech bays

Edited by Kyrs, 29 March 2014 - 06:31 AM.

#5 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:05 AM

Raven 4X: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...98482fb6aa1c943
This is my Raven. It is the carrion bird the mech was named after. Do not use it like a typical light.
Stay with your team and support them with the LRMs as much as you can. When you start to see enemies nearby with exposed sections, sections with no armor, charge in and MG and Med Laser those sections. Take the section away from them. Then, melt back into your team for protection again. You are there to kill the weak and the dieing.
The Speed is not for scouting, though it can do that if you need to. The mech works best if you hold onto that speed. Use it for bursts when you need to get close to a wounded enemy, or when a battle engagement starts. Otherwise, slow yourself down and stay with the team.

#6 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:55 PM

Hah, I'd actually go with the urbie builds if I didn't also own a HBK 4G. The UAC and AC2 builds look interesting, along with the LRM15 one.

Shouldn't you Davion guys be running a 2X instead though? ;)

#7 Bartholomew bartholomew

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,250 posts
  • LocationInner sphere drop point

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:18 PM

I love mine; run 2 Mpls, 2 machine guns, 1 srm4, max XLengine and some JJ's. Mighty fine skirmisher. And fun.

#8 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:31 PM

View PostBlackhawkSC, on 29 March 2014 - 04:55 PM, said:

Hah, I'd actually go with the urbie builds if I didn't also own a HBK 4G. The UAC and AC2 builds look interesting, along with the LRM15 one.

Shouldn't you Davion guys be running a 2X instead though? ;)

I may not like a lot of Laio, but I will give them credit, they can make some good machines. (Some of my favorite mechs are designed by Laio.)

#9 Nehkrosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 772 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:34 PM

2 mediums, Asrm6, 2 machineguns, JJs, Biggest XL you can fit.
baaaam.

murders people.

#10 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:40 PM

You know what, just say that I captured one and decided to not change it to the 2X pattern... ;)

#11 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:24 PM

I've been running my Ravens for over a year, haven't sold any, and of the three the 4X has always been my problem child for sure. I've run it with 2x PPC, run the LB10 + 2ml, and strangely enough, I have also used OP's PPC + SRM 6 +ml config, as well as the AC20 build for laughs.

The only one I've ever had any success with though is a 2llas + 2MG setup that I'm using now. Start the game like a typical sniper 3L, use your larges at range and try not to take fire, play conservatively, get damage in. Once the number of mechs alive starts to drop, you're free to move in and pick off any LRMs or PPC boats they have left, and the MGs help significantly with any brawlers' open internals at this point.

Given how important JJs have become on some of the maps, I now value the 4X almost as much as the 3L for similar reasons, as they both make for great long range support. The 4X loses a bit of speed, some range (using regular LL instead of ER) and ECM in exchange for much better maneuverability with JJs, better cooling, and the MGs are surprisingly useful.

#12 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:52 PM

View PostTesunie, on 29 March 2014 - 05:31 PM, said:

I may not like a lot of Laio, but I will give them credit, they can make some good machines. (Some of my favorite mechs are designed by Laio.)

Which being typical Davions, you then stole for yourself. ;)

#13 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:03 PM

View Postwanderer, on 29 March 2014 - 06:52 PM, said:

Which being typical Davions, you then stole for yourself. ;)

If you like your stuff, protect it better. :D

It's not my fault you don't know how not to lose your toys... I just saw it on the ground and no one seemed around to claim it. :(

#14 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:57 PM

Kind of had to laugh at this one. Among all the meta-friendly mechs on our team, the 4X did the best by far. Bad loss nonetheless.
Posted Image

#15 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:00 PM

View PostBlackhawkSC, on 30 March 2014 - 08:57 PM, said:

Kind of had to laugh at this one. Among all the meta-friendly mechs on our team, the 4X did the best by far. Bad loss nonetheless.
Posted Image

Which build you use? If you don't mind me wondering.

#16 Funkadelic Mayhem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,811 posts
  • LocationOrokin Void

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:45 PM

Its my fav mech in the game!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Funkadelic Mayhem, 31 March 2014 - 02:22 PM.

#17 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:06 PM

View PostTesunie, on 30 March 2014 - 09:00 PM, said:

Which build you use? If you don't mind me wondering.

PPC+LL poptart. I experimented with the MGs and SL and I was in a game in which I should have gotten a lot of damage. My teammates were keeping the enemy busy and I was circling around a few mediums and heavies and only ended up with 161 damage in the end. I also thought about the AC builds but they didn't utilize the JJs well enough I think.

#18 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:23 PM

View PostBlackhawkSC, on 30 March 2014 - 11:06 PM, said:

PPC+LL poptart. I experimented with the MGs and SL and I was in a game in which I should have gotten a lot of damage. My teammates were keeping the enemy busy and I was circling around a few mediums and heavies and only ended up with 161 damage in the end. I also thought about the AC builds but they didn't utilize the JJs well enough I think.

With your ping you should be able to play dual ERLL Raven effectively.
Aim for the big and slow guys...

However.. LRM will not spoil your day though.

#19 Wraith 1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:52 PM

Glad I found this thread. The Jenner has been my favorite for a long time, but I always wanted to put ballistics on her. I'm working on getting a 4X to put in my freebie mechbay, and it's good to see some less insane builds than what I had in mind.

Also, I just realized how sexy the thing looks. It seems I was blinded by my rage during OB, with all the SSRM/ECM crap.

#20 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:38 AM

Just got a game with 2 kills 10 assists, 460 something damage with just a single PPC as my poptart weapon. It kind of goes to show how broken PPC/AC poptarting is in this game.

View PostShinVector, on 30 March 2014 - 11:23 PM, said:

With your ping you should be able to play dual ERLL Raven effectively.

I play dual LL, 1xML with my 3L, ERLL seem to be too hot. I play closer than other 3L pilots probably, so as I play, the ER doesn't do much for me. But I kind of want to spectate a good 3L pilot who use the more common ERLL build to see how they do it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users