New To Mwo

5 replies to this topic

#1 Siej

• PipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 52 posts
  • LocationIn your base, drinking your coffee.

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:28 AM

Hello everyone, I'm new to MWO, but I played all the previous incarnations: Mechwarrior, Mechwarrior 2, Mechwarrior 3, and Mechwarrior 4. I played mercenaries briefly as well. I went by Remjin back then.

I was a big Raven pilot in MW4, but the game has changed quite a bit, so I'm trying a lot of different things now. I did some organized play back in MW4, but haven't done so in awhile.

Just getting started, I have a few mechs, but enjoying it so far. Definitely a different feel to the game though it still has a lot of what I loved back in the day. LRMs are a bit tougher this time around, it seems. The FtP model takes some getting used to, though.

Any units okay with taking on a pretty new player to this rendition of the game? I'm a US player, so I'm in the eastern time zone, if that makes a difference.

#2 AlmightyAeng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:44 AM

Well, you're posting in House Steiner...so I'm assuming you're looking for Steiner-specific groups? If not, look in the Outreach subforum...merc groups are always looking not pick people up.

Also, as a new player, PLEASE feel free to post any and all questions in the 'New Player Help' forum. It is one of the most helpful, active forum-groups here, with forum-lurkers on pretty much all workday to lend you a helping hand or explain something.

#3 Edward Ash

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:10 PM

Hello, ZhennZ. You can check out all the recruitment threads for the Lyran Commonwealth. There are many units actively recruiting. Your best bets may be to either hop on the House Steiner Hub (TeamSpeak: ts1.housesteiner.com) which has a bunch of units dropping or the Skye Rangers which maintain their own teamspeak. Their website can be found at http://skye-rangers.net/

Edited by Silent Monk, 31 March 2014 - 01:10 PM.

#4 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:30 PM

Welcome, If you have not looked at may of the threads, this game has a huge learning curve. Even after more than a year in the game, I can turn a corner and look at a steiner scout lance just before they ******* away.

Find a unit, or a group to play with, it is more fun. Even living down getting 3 assists with 0 damage.

You will see some trolls in the game, but for the most part many of us have played the different Mechwarrior series and Mechcommander. This is the hardest by far, and stresses team work.

#5 Siej

• PipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 52 posts
  • LocationIn your base, drinking your coffee.

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:28 AM

Thank you for the replies. I've been lurking/reading the forums quite a bit. I am looking for something for Steiner, or a Merc. I'm not particularly picky about it, to be honest. I just know organized play is typically more fun.

There is a lot to learn, that's for sure. I did sign up on the hub and am on the steiner general teamspeak sometimes. I've dropped with a few folks there, who were all very friendly and helpful. I'm slowly learning how this game works compared to the others and I'm having fun. Grinding out C-bills isn't so much fun, but since all I have to do is play to get them, its not so bad. =)

I will have to hang out more on the hub and see what units interest me. So far, the Devil Dogs have been nice enough to grab me a couple of times. Had a good time with them. Hopefully I will be able to play with others as well.

Again, thanks to all of you who answered my question. It is much appreciated.

#6 William Slayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 375 posts
  • LocationSchools out at the Coventry Academy...

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:15 PM

Welcome Zhennz! Not sure what time works for you as far as play schedule (I am EST too, but play mainly on Thursday/Friday night), but the 5th RCT on the Steiner TS are great too. Next chance I get I will send you a "friend" and if i'm ever on when you are i'm always happy to drop with players who like to have fun. :-)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users