Urbanmech Arrives On The Battlefield!

4351 replies to this topic

#361 Ravewolf

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:02 PM

This was more painful than funny, considering how many of us really want one.

The self parody in the "for the most loyal" part was quite interesting considering it really was ripped from an actual mech package offer. Coming dangerously close to admitting how ridiculous that sounded in the real ad, after the fact. Which is possibly a tip off that PGI rather than IGP came up with this one. One part of the team taking a little dig at the other part's clumsiness in marketing, perhaps. I wonder.

#362 Utilyan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:40 PM

T_T

#363 Nathan Foxbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:35 AM

We can has legit Urbie Soon™?

#364 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:15 AM

Nope. They managed to render it impossible in MWO to actually build one, as the engine is too small.

Note that this is simply a matter of the flaw in how Mechlab handles the 10 free sinks for an engine and the "less weight but must add heat sinks to 10" kludge they used instead of something more elegant.

#365 Hexenhammer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:22 AM

View Postwanderer, on 17 April 2014 - 10:15 AM, said:

Nope. They managed to render it impossible in MWO to actually build one, as the engine is too small.

Note that this is simply a matter of the flaw in how Mechlab handles the 10 free sinks for an engine and the "less weight but must add heat sinks to 10" kludge they used instead of something more elegant.

And the missing engines, remove 10 has requirement and Bob's your uncle.

#366 Kaemon

• 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:42 AM

imagine if you will...

coming up over the hill, you gaze out over the setting sun, temporarily blinding you until your cockpit glass automatically dims to help with vision.

As you regain your vision, your slowly pan left and right, and to your horror you see 1, then 2, then half a dozen small dome like reflections coming out of the forests a few hundred meters in front of you.

Normal size mechs would've been seen knocking down trees and causing quite a bit of damage, but these little mechs were able to come in low, under the tree canopy, and get within AC/20 range without anyone noticing.

You bravely warm up the PPCs, knowing you have little chance, maybe the next wave will be able to secure a beachhead on this world, but this first incursion went badly.

The last thing you see is 6 AC/20s aiming up at you, and you hear almost as one sound the loud rapport as the shells scream from their barrels and tear into your mech in a searing flash of heat and pain.

Edited by Kaemon, 17 April 2014 - 10:48 AM.

#367 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:43 AM

How about "make the out-of-engine sinks dynamic placement like Endo and Ferro and fix engine tonnages appropriately" and we wouldn't even have to break the construction rules one way to fix it in another.

#368 CPL Madison

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:11 AM

if you want to make money which seems to be your main focus, I guarantee Urban Mech will make you more money than any other mech you have released

now get it done

#369 Grimmrog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:51 AM

Sometimes when i go along the city, I think WOW and urban mech.

Posted Image

I knock at it and hope it will power up.

but looks like they all got retired for a different use today.
but maybe, they are just in disguise waiting for their great awakening.

Edited by Grimmrog, 22 May 2014 - 12:52 AM.

#370 Desintegrator

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,225 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:52 AM

Nice picture Grimmrog - i can't stop laughing.

But the firepower of this thing, is maybe to weak to have fun...

#371 Smitti

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 475 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFrog-blasting between BioVent Core #88A and #88B

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:41 AM

I am expecting a hand to reach out of that urbanmech bin and take your refuse from you, then stuff it into the bore of an autocannon that pops out from the side, and fire it off into the distance.

Edited by Smittiferous, 23 May 2014 - 02:44 AM.

#372 Saber1

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 55 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationLuthien, Draconis Combine

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:12 AM

RIP Urbanmech, Rifleman, Flashman, Crab, Marauder, Warhammer

And to think… we're already getting clan mechs...

RIP CBT...

#373 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:04 AM

View PostSaber1, on 24 May 2014 - 07:12 AM, said:

RIP CBT...

Many of us are very happy to finally have Clan mechs, we already have the Jäger, which is nearly identical to the Rifleman, the TimberWolf will be nearly identical to the Marauder in some configs, and the Summoner (and esp Hellbringer when it is released) will be nearly identical to the Warhammer, etc.

#374 Da Ugh 1701

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 104 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota, USA

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:38 AM

Sorry bit I think the Urbie is a POC. any other light mech could take it on easily as the movement is very much less than par compared to other lights, even with the 360 rotation. I doubt it'd carry more than 2 tons of ammo. Never played in on tabletop nor in any of the prior Mechwarrior games. To each their own. I won't be spending $ on this.

View PostSaber1, on 24 May 2014 - 07:12 AM, said:

RIP CBT...

yea, where is the Marauder or the Warhammer? The Rifleman is no big loss but to place a 30 ton POC in front of other signature mechs just doesn't make sense.

#375 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 01:18 PM

View PostDaUgh1701, on 24 May 2014 - 10:38 AM, said:

yea, where is the Marauder or the Warhammer? The Rifleman is no big loss but to place a 30 ton POC in front of other signature mechs just doesn't make sense.

Legal issues with Harmomy Gold, so they won't happen any time soon (if ever), but see my above comments about the Clan mechs that are nearly identical to them.

#376 Utilyan

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:49 AM

View PostDaUgh1701, on 24 May 2014 - 10:38 AM, said:

Sorry bit I think the Urbie is a POC. any other light mech could take it on easily as the movement is very much less than par compared to other lights, even with the 360 rotation. I doubt it'd carry more than 2 tons of ammo. Never played in on tabletop nor in any of the prior Mechwarrior games. To each their own. I won't be spending $ on this.

Its a normal noob right of passage to think its crap. When one is a noob we just meta and suck on robot nuts.

When you start hitting that top list constantly to the point its boring. You'll dump your "God-mode" mech start picking up creativity.
Urbanmech is the endgame mech.

Urbanmech is not a scout. The match up you should be pitting him against is against ASSUALTS and HEAVYS.

You could almost make one with spider 5k but with less armor and jump jets of the real deal. Its one of those things......"see it for yourself".

If you drove it then told me it sucks, Then i'd be like alright he ain't a virgin. :o

If you drove it then told me I will F an atlas up in this thing, Then I will fear you. :unsure:

#377 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:15 AM

View PostUtilyan, on 25 May 2014 - 09:49 AM, said:

Its a normal noob right of passage to think its crap. When one is a noob we just meta and suck on robot nuts.

When you start hitting that top list constantly to the point its boring. You'll dump your "God-mode" mech start picking up creativity.
Urbanmech is the endgame mech.

Urbanmech is not a scout. The match up you should be pitting him against is against ASSUALTS and HEAVYS.

You could almost make one with spider 5k but with less armor and jump jets of the real deal. Its one of those things......"see it for yourself".

If you drove it then told me it sucks, Then i'd be like alright he ain't a virgin. :o

If you drove it then told me I will F an atlas up in this thing, Then I will fear you. :unsure:

I'm no noob, and the Urbanmech is not a worthless design in general, but it would definitely be a POC in MWO in stock form. In modified form, it would be as valid as any other mech of it's size. The 360 degree torso rotation, if it was retained, would be a definite advantage for the mech.

The Urbanmech is not designed to fight heavies and assaults, though. It is a garrison mech designed to deter enemies from attacking, much like the Club is designed to deter car thieves - any real attempt to get through it will be successful, but it makes the attempt less appealing in the first place.

Sarna said:

Thus the 'Mech was primarily used for fighting guerrillas and other light 'Mechs in an urban environment, an arena where it also achieved some success fighting medium and even heavy-weight 'Mechs. Standard tactics for an UrbanMech lance was to split up into its constituent parts and occupy various buildings in order to snipe the enemy before falling back to the next defensive line. Source: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Urbanmech

I have no problem with them adding the Urbanmech, but the urban legend status (pun intended) attributed to the mech is far higher than it's abilities could ever reach.

#378 Utilyan

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:29 AM

View PostCimarb, on 25 May 2014 - 10:15 AM, said:

I'm no noob, and the Urbanmech is not a worthless design in general, but it would definitely be a POC in MWO in stock form. In modified form, it would be as valid as any other mech of it's size. The 360 degree torso rotation, if it was retained, would be a definite advantage for the mech.

The Urbanmech is not designed to fight heavies and assaults, though. It is a garrison mech designed to deter enemies from attacking, much like the Club is designed to deter car thieves - any real attempt to get through it will be successful, but it makes the attempt less appealing in the first place.

I have no problem with them adding the Urbanmech, but the urban legend status (pun intended) attributed to the mech is far higher than it's abilities could ever reach.

Oh so you drove it? :o

#379 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:46 AM

View PostUtilyan, on 25 May 2014 - 10:29 AM, said:

Oh so you drove it? :o

As often as you have?

#380 Girth Fillmore

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 174 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:08 AM

Piloting an urbie would be amazing because the entire mech is a humiliation tool akin to a gauntlet kill in Quake3, or knifing in some of the military FPS games. I can imagine how satisfying getting a killshot on an assault mech would feel in one of them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users