29 replies to this topic

#21 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:53 AM

So some good news.. Apparently PGI confirmed this weapon convergence bug and is trying to fix it as soon as possible.

#22 Darth Futuza

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:22 AM

View PostMad Porthos, on 07 April 2014 - 06:42 PM, said:

Cool story bro, as a mostly Jenner pilot I appreciated the retelling of it.

#23 Osric Lancaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:38 AM

View PostMad Porthos, on 08 April 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

Here is what I mean. HSR as is being mentioned above, may end up meaning that while I am properly pointing at a mech and I shoot and think I hit it, based on what I see, even though that mech may have a much lower ping than I and on his end think he's safe, around a corner, or 50 meters further along from where I'm aiming... I will hit him, if the SERVER agrees that I really was pointing at him, at the right "relative" point in time. The thing is, what trajectory my ACTUAL aim and shot follows is very often determined by convergence on the point under the reticule, and if HSR is actively trying to figure out if I hit or not, and my aim point is on target, then off target, then on target again... at the instant that it's "rewinding" to check and see if the trajectory would properly intersect, my reticule might have very briefly been off target. So in it's calculations, it's a miss. Yet it's already happened. I saw the shot, it seemed to hit. Where's the flash? Where's the damage confirmed on the paper doll? Nada. Cause of convergence's dicey instant nature, interacting with HSR likely.

See, this is exactly why the " we can't do convergence delay because it would mess up HSR " argument rings hollow. If weapons converged to the last confirmed distance-to-target they'd be worlds less prone to flickering like that. Once you had that down, you'd be able to add other fun stuff like convergence delay or recoil.

View PostShinVector, on 10 April 2014 - 08:53 AM, said:

So some good news.. Apparently PGI confirmed this weapon convergence bug and is trying to fix it as soon as possible.

Did they say what they think the problem is exactly, or how they'll fix it? I really, really don't want another ghost heat style fix.

Edited by Osric Lancaster, 10 April 2014 - 09:42 AM.

#24 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:39 PM

View PostOsric Lancaster, on 10 April 2014 - 09:38 AM, said:

See, this is exactly why the " we can't do convergence delay because it would mess up HSR " argument rings hollow. If weapons converged to the last confirmed distance-to-target they'd be worlds less prone to flickering like that. Once you had that down, you'd be able to add other fun stuff like convergence delay or recoil.

Did they say what they think the problem is exactly, or how they'll fix it? I really, really don't want another ghost heat style fix.

No idea really... 'Ghost Heat' is a balance fix not a bug. This is obviously a bugged convergence. PGI has identify what caused convergence to skew so, much and just fix.
Generally what I am hoping is 'what we see, is what we get.'

#25 Darth Futuza

• 1,239 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:18 AM

View PostShinVector, on 10 April 2014 - 04:39 PM, said:

No idea really... 'Ghost Heat' is a balance fix not a bug. This is obviously a bugged convergence. PGI has identify what caused convergence to skew so, much and just fix.
Generally what I am hoping is 'what we see, is what we get.'

Not so much as a bug as it was a complaint. 6 ppc's seems fine to me...even if mechs explode.

#26 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:02 AM

View PostDarth Futuza, on 12 April 2014 - 06:18 AM, said:

Not so much as a bug as it was a complaint. 6 ppc's seems fine to me...even if mechs explode.

You obviously didn't check out the video I posted of the bug happening did you ?
PGI confirmed the bug happening on their testing as well.. What else more is there to say ? :rolleyes:
Basically shots not registering on immobile or legged mechs will happen less if not at all.

#27 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:19 AM

View PostKoniving, on 08 April 2014 - 01:28 PM, said:

"What you see isn't what the server sees."

Single best observation on hit detection ever, and really all you need to know to understand how it works (or doesn't).

#28 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:00 AM

View PostTheRAbbi, on 12 April 2014 - 08:19 AM, said:

Single best observation on hit detection ever, and really all you need to know to understand how it works (or doesn't).

Thank you. Its my understanding from the command chair post introducing us to HSR combined with the closed beta "how the server works" post that no one can get anymore.

#29 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:05 AM

At least the bug.. I mentioned before has been confirmed to be the ray trace one.

#30 Darth Futuza

• 1,239 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:36 PM

View PostShinVector, on 12 April 2014 - 08:02 AM, said:

You obviously didn't check out the video I posted of the bug happening did you ?
PGI confirmed the bug happening on their testing as well.. What else more is there to say ? ;)
Basically shots not registering on immobile or legged mechs will happen less if not at all.

I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about being able to fire 6 ppcs. And being sarcastic about it.

Edited by Darth Futuza, 14 April 2014 - 12:36 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users