62 replies to this topic

#1 Ghillie Dhu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 156 posts
  • LocationIsle of Skye

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:26 AM

Unlike a lot of folks I love the new Huggin Hero mech I carry a basic 4 x mg's and a brace of srm2's and have a ams (just till I get in range) .

My query (oh yes I have one of those) is: I have invested a module slot on my little flappy bird mech to the mg upgrade tree, any one know when the group 3/4 and 5 upgrades are coming through because 3mill and a lot of xp isn't to great at the moment but I'm betting another 50/75 metes or so upgrade will make it all worth while. I hope ... oh heavens I spent 3mill on this ... what a fool I was ... I need a stiff drink !

#2 Soulscour

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:07 AM

What you really need is a good ol command console. All the pros use it.

#3 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:13 AM

Right there with you. The Huggin is a consistently good performer for me. Still tweaking my loadout, but there's nary a match where I don't get at least 2 kills with 300+ damage.

#4 BourbonFaucet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 767 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:49 AM

I'm starting to wonder if the complaints about the Huggin are mostly due to over-reacting to the lack of energy hardpoints.

#5 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:04 AM

View PostTechorse, on 04 April 2014 - 05:49 AM, said:

I'm starting to wonder if the complaints about the Huggin are mostly due to over-reacting to the lack of energy hardpoints.

to a degree, I am sure.

That said, two things I have noted:

1) The 2 JJs are essentially pointless. That little bird struggles to get off the ground. I think it needs at least 4 to serve any real purpose on the build.

2) It is definitely a carrion eater. You simple can't stack the alpha to any reasonable degree with those hardpoints, and have any sort of survivability. (especially without ECM) Energy is huge on Lights, as it's light weight damage.

Huginn works, but I have seen very few that are too useful on the front end of the match. And Solo vs almost any other Light? The are in serious trouble. But wait patiently, pecking at the edges, until the OpFor starts approaching CGL, and they can be effective. Yeah, you can get matches werte you feel like a BOSS, but I think those are few and far between and punctuated by a lot of fiery deaths, lol.

#6 Lumunix

• PipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 53 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationIn your blind spot

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:49 AM

Im loving my Huggin, I do think most of the complaints stem from players that only want meta builds or are min/max warriors. Being a fan of the entire Raven chassis line I could not say no to a raven hero. I will say if you want this mech to work you have to have speed tweak at all costs. In all honesty the lack of ECM does not bother me, if you pilot light mechs and nothing but light mechs you already know the drill for avoiding them.

My build currently:
Engine Xl 265 - you move at 134.9 KPH this is why you need speed tweak you save weight and still move faster than stock
RTorso SRM 6, jumpjet
LTorso SRM6, jumpjet
LARM 2 machine guns
RARM 2 machine guns
Ammo 3 tons SRM and 2 tons machinegun
Armor 215

I find this is a good build for mid match when armor is the orange for most of the mechs on the field, the srm packs are so close together because of the narrow torso of the raven it makes it far easier to manage then the Oxide, you can run without artemis and be fine. The srms make for a great armor peeler with the machine guns tearing through components.I would say when you are going toe to toe with another mech fire first with the srms then try to shift left or right with jumpjets and follow up with machine guns, the combined cockpit shake plus movement makes you a tough target to hit.

With the power of the Srms I find even jenners like to keep their distance as all it takes is dropping their center torsos armor and they are pretty much toast. My advoce when dueling other lights is restraint and timeing your shots, don't worry if you ware not keeping weapons on cd, its better to eat some damage than constantly miss and spend ammo. Wait for that slight pause that many people do before firing.

#7 DONTOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,804 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:56 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 04 April 2014 - 06:04 AM, said:

Huginn works, but I have seen very few that are too useful on the front end of the match. And Solo vs almost any other Light? The are in serious trouble. But wait patiently, pecking at the edges, until the OpFor starts approaching CGL, and they can be effective. Yeah, you can get matches werte you feel like a BOSS, but I think those are few and far between and punctuated by a lot of fiery deaths, lol.

While most of this is true, if you have streaks it can easily beat any light other than an oxcide.

#8 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:17 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 04 April 2014 - 06:04 AM, said:

to a degree, I am sure.

That said, two things I have noted:

1) The 2 JJs are essentially pointless. That little bird struggles to get off the ground. I think it needs at least 4 to serve any real purpose on the build.

2) It is definitely a carrion eater. You simple can't stack the alpha to any reasonable degree with those hardpoints, and have any sort of survivability. (especially without ECM) Energy is huge on Lights, as it's light weight damage.

High jumping in lights is highly overrated. You can't change directions to juke, you slow down, and you pause dead when you touch down. They do help, cert. But are better put to use as hill climb assist and low level boost turns and 180*s

#9 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:29 PM

View PostDONTOR, on 04 April 2014 - 12:56 PM, said:

While most of this is true, if you have streaks it can easily beat any light other than an oxcide.

if 2 ssrm racks are owning anything short of some of the Locusts and Firestarters, those pilots need to give up driving Lights. Since 2 ssrm and 4 medium laser Jenners, any ECM carrier, and most other lights have 2+ ssrms AND lasers to carve off armor. Those MGs are nice on exposed insides, but 2 ssrms ain't gonna crack many shells fast.

View PostKhajja nar Jatargk, on 04 April 2014 - 02:17 PM, said:

High jumping in lights is highly overrated. You can't change directions to juke, you slow down, and you pause dead when you touch down. They do help, cert. But are better put to use as hill climb assist and low level boost turns and 180*s

don't care about the height. It is so sluggish on launch. (And I for one find ample use of all my JJs). It is easily the most sluggish low arced jumping Light I have driven. My FS9s feel like they leap right off the ground. Not this guy

#10 Flyby215

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 888 posts
  • LocationThunder Bay

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:27 PM

Love my Huginn too!

I really liked the Raven since I first encountered it in GBL (that level with all the trees) so I was determined to buy the Hero. When I saw the hard-points, I cried a little inside, I thought it was going to be terrible... but after reading all the negative reviews I was very determined to buy it and make it work somehow. Ironically, I kept it mostly stock and found it actually working quite well!

I agree with the general sentiment that it's not a meta-mech and there are a lot of firey deaths. But you know what? It's a really fun mech! Sneaking up behind people and ripping them apart with SRMs and MGs is way too much fun. Total damage / total matches = 320 for mine, and a 1.78 K/D ratio after 80 matches so I'm averaging o-kay with the mech so far.

2xSRM6 4xMG.

Edited by Flyby215, 04 April 2014 - 09:27 PM.

#11 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:31 PM

Still had ammo left over. I like it :)

Posted Image

#12 Flyby215

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 888 posts
  • LocationThunder Bay

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:40 PM

View PostKhajja nar Jatargk, on 04 April 2014 - 09:31 PM, said:

Still had ammo left over. I like it :)

Posted Image

My one-up-manship is acting up...

Posted Image

Okay, not nearly as much damage but nearly got Ace of Spades with it!

#13 The Wakelord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 308 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:37 AM

So far I'm enjoying the Huginn. I'm going LRM15 + 3MG at the moment. Reliably about 250+ damage, and the LRMs mean I'm fairly survivable. It's fun being able to be at the right spot to get the LRMs off before popping away.

How in the world did you get over 800 damage in the raven with its finite ammo? What's your secret, Mr Khajja?

#14 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:44 AM

I carry 4 tons of SRM which is 800 potential damage alone, then the additional 2 tons for the MGs (which I'm not quite sure how to calculate) I believe she is four digit capable, especially considering...

This match however was strike boosted, they had about half the team clustered on the top of the garage in about the same space as a resource collector square. Landed it dead middle and my reticle was solid red for all three phases. Prob one of the best I've ever had

View PostFlyby215, on 04 April 2014 - 09:40 PM, said:

My one-up-manship is acting up...

Posted Image

Okay, not nearly as much damage but nearly got Ace of Spades with it!

7 IS impressive, but it's the match score that really counts :P

#15 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:47 AM

View PostKhajja nar Jatargk, on 05 April 2014 - 05:44 AM, said:

I carry 4 tons of SRM which is 800 potential damage alone, then the additional 2 tons for the MGs (which I'm not quite sure how to calculate) I believe she is four digit capable, especially considering...

This match however was strike boosted, they had about half the team clustered on the top of the garage in about the same space as a resource collector square. Landed it dead middle and my reticle was solid red for all three phases. Prob one of the best I've ever had

7 IS impressive, but it's the match score that really counts :P

still can't decide if I prefer the endurance of the srm4s, or the higher initial kill of the srm 6,. even though ti limits the potential, especially in long matches.

By the same token, having amech running out of ammo relatively fast if I am careless, actually feels more battletechy to me. Maybe it's time to remove the ammo load buffs. Lower some damage out put and make people more thoughtful about their shots!

#16 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:53 AM

Could always go best of both worlds and mount a 6 and a 4. Don't forget that 4s have a faster cycle time

#17 DarkDevilDancer

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:30 AM

I'll wait for a sale its not a must have like the ember was, i was so happy when they gave us firestarters.

#18 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:57 AM

I have no doubt people are over-reacting due to the lack of energy points, just like they poo-pooed the Oxide when it came out. Time will tell, I guess. The Oxide turned out ok in my experience.

I'll probably get it someday. Just not really interested at the moment. I really want a fargon King Crab.

Edit:
For those that run SRMs, is Artemis worth the tonnage? I'm thinking accuracy would be critical for a hit and run mech, but then again MGs aren't really conducive to a hit and run play style. What do you guys think?

Edited by NRP, 05 April 2014 - 07:03 AM.

#19 Foxfire

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:21 AM

The Huginn is an interesting mech. If you can get in behind someone, it is a very deadly mech... otherwise, if you play it as a mid-late commitment mech, it is a great vulture and finisher mech.. but early in the game, unless you can get close in behind someone slow, it is easy to die in..

Ive hat plenty of matches where I've had 3-4 kills in and plenty that I've had none.. and it is all a matter of how patient I am before committing to the fight.

*edits to add*

That is, if I play it as I would a normal Raven or a Jenner, I could get ~400 damage but flair out quickly in a match.. or I can wait until later in the game, hope that the game has been either even or trending towards my side, and rake in the kills as a vulture mech.

Edited by Foxfire, 05 April 2014 - 08:31 AM.

#20 Foxfire

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:26 AM

View PostNRP, on 05 April 2014 - 06:57 AM, said:

For those that run SRMs, is Artemis worth the tonnage? I'm thinking accuracy would be critical for a hit and run mech, but then again MGs aren't really conducive to a hit and run play style. What do you guys think?

Arti is definitely worth it for SRM's. It significantly tightens up the grouping for the weapon. I'd suggest testing it out on the test grounds and make your decision.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users