#81 KuroNyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:15 AM

View PostCyclonerM, on 09 April 2014 - 12:04 PM, said:

Indeed. This works from a TT/strategic game point of view. In MWO it has little meaning sadly, but if you must pick some 'Mechs with a fixed amount of money, Two Kit Foxes would be 4 million c-bills cheaper than a Stormcrow. And you ould have 2 Gauss Rifles.. :o and two targets to split the enemy fire. For the same speed.

You forget one thing.

It isn't the same "class" factor in a Kit Fox and a StormCrow.
You can be good in both of them. But you will look cooler if you use a mech that have some class....

Bah what the heck, they are all class! :)
But still...

It could be...
>_>
:rolleyes:
:o
Spoiler

#82 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:35 AM

Are you saying that this cuty has has no class, quineg?!

Posted Image

My idea of the Kit Fox is that of a light 'Mech with steroids to bring more heavy weaponz! :)

#83 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:57 AM

View PostCyclonerM, on 10 April 2014 - 04:35 AM, said:

Are you saying that this cuty has has no class, quineg?!

Posted Image

My idea of the Kit Fox is that of a light 'Mech with steroids to bring more heavy weaponz! :)

Neg'. I'm saying that the Kit Fox and the StormCrow can be 20% cooler than they already are. :o

#84 FlipOver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:04 AM

View PostMarack Drock, on 08 April 2014 - 05:56 AM, said:

EVERYTHING NEEDS TO STAY CLOSE TO CANON AS POSSIBLE! NO FAKE BALANCING!

I may be wrong but...

For that to happen there is a huge thing we need to address.
A Clan mechs would only fight against 1 opponent at a time, as IS would gang up against one Clan mech at any possible time.

Clan is supposed to be superior to IS in every way, but they only fight against 1 opponent at a time. IS gets their strength with numbers, going 2-3-4+ against 1 Clan.

PGI can't figure out a way to make this happen, and that's why they are nerfing everything from Clan, also that's why this game will never be close to the lore on this issue.

It would be amazing to have seen PGI starting a topic asking for pov of how to force a Clan mech to engage one other mech and having to fight with that one without the chance of changing targets while the nme is alive, but it's a bit late for that now, i suppose...

#85 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:03 AM

Issue there is, once IS engages a Clan pilot that is already fighting, zellbrigen is called off. In fact, through the invasion, most clans did not attempt to honor zellbrigen after wave one because they already knew the IS surats would be teaming up.

#86 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:16 AM

The Clans realized sooner or later enough that the Inner Sphere would not fight according to their rules and acted accordingly.

#87 Gorgo7

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:19 AM

View PostFupDup, on 08 April 2014 - 09:49 AM, said:

The pellet spread for an AC/10 or AC/5 is zero at all ranges.

Why do they have 10 tons of pod space left? Where did you get that from?

And yes, I do still like my odds, because I can routinely take on heavy/assault mechs and heavily damage or even kill them on a consistent basis. Against those lights, they will drop like flies because of their low armor and low speed. If we assume stock armor on the Fox, it will have 18 points of armor on its CT. I can cut through that in seconds. The Adder is much better off with 32 points, but it will still be in for some hurtin'. In single combat they stand no chance, and in a 2-on-1 there's a good chance one of them will end up dead (most likely the Fox) or at the very least I can tear them a new one before I go down.

I don't assume any particular range bracket or type of enemy target. I assume they are facing competent pilots of any class who know how to hit light mechs going at 150+ kph, so ones that go 97.2 kph won't be an issue for them.

Here are the facts for each mech...

Adder
Speed: 97.2 kph stock
Pod Space: 16 tons
Armor: 6 tons FF stock (almost maxed)

Kit Fox
Pod Space: 16 tons
Armor: 4 tons FF stock (equal to an MWO maxed-out Locust)

Stormcrow
Pod Space: 23 tons
Armor: 9.5 tons FF stock (almost maxed out)

I don't see any benefits of taking either light over the Ryoken.

How about the 3333 rule? See any benefits now?

#88 Josef Nader

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:27 AM

View Postflipover, on 10 April 2014 - 05:04 AM, said:

I may be wrong but...

For that to happen there is a huge thing we need to address.
A Clan mechs would only fight against 1 opponent at a time, as IS would gang up against one Clan mech at any possible time.

Clan is supposed to be superior to IS in every way, but they only fight against 1 opponent at a time. IS gets their strength with numbers, going 2-3-4+ against 1 Clan.

PGI can't figure out a way to make this happen, and that's why they are nerfing everything from Clan, also that's why this game will never be close to the lore on this issue.

It would be amazing to have seen PGI starting a topic asking for pov of how to force a Clan mech to engage one other mech and having to fight with that one without the chance of changing targets while the nme is alive, but it's a bit late for that now, i suppose...

As said above, the Clans didn't honor Zellbregen during the invasion, because the IS didn't. Hard to honor duel someone when he's dropping Long Toms on your head.

However, the Clans -did- have very limited resources, and the practice of bidding down the invading force to a minimum carried through the Clan invasion. In tabletop, this meant that Clan teams were usually a lot smaller than IS teams.

Now, most MWO grognards see this and start shouting about how PGI should just match smaller clan teams vs numerically superior IS teams rather than trying to balance Clantech. However, what these people don't realize is that if Clantech is objectively better, no one but role players will ever use IS tech. There will be no clan invasion, because everyone who plays this game who is focused on winning will immediately swap over to Clantech as soon as it's available. There will be Jo one in the IS matchmaking cue, and the wait time for the Clan cue will be extraordinarily long.

Everyone wants Clantech to be OP because they want to feel powerful mowing down enemy players by the droves. What they're too short sighted to see is that the other players are going to get real tired of this real quick and swap over to Clantech themselves.

So, the "nerfs" to Clantech (which as I've stated before aren't anywhere near as bad as the "ruined 4evar" crowd would have you believe) are designed to make Clantech a side grade, rather than an upgrade. Clan mechs are tougher and hit harder, but there also limited in customizability and you won't be able to tweak them nearly as much as IS mechs. I don't know about you, but this seems more than fair to me, and it gives IS mechs a reason to still exist

#89 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:48 AM

But, if the game is balanced by offset numbers, and say 10 Clan mechs are equal to 12 IS mechs...(or 5 to 8 if you prefer)...then it WILL be balanced, which is what the "NERF CLANORZ NAO!" crowd fails to see as well. Would it not be more satisfying to beat a pilot in a technologically advantageous mech if you were an inner sphere pilot? Of course it would...additionally, if it was BALANCED to have offset drop numbers, then it is still balanced.

For example, if IS tech was somehow superior to clans, I would still prefer to drop in my Clan Mechs as opposed to IS mechs. I know many in the IS houses that feel the same, and they WANT to take on a technologically superior force. THAT is the essence of BT, if you take that away, then this is just big stompy robots with laser beams online. Call it something else, because it is NOT mechwarrior by that point.

#90 Ruhkil

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 98 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:20 AM

Honestly we still get a damage increase and a range increase if Pauls/PGI's comments about the clan Large laser are applied across the board. The difference is that our weps are going to be 1.2x as good as their IS equivalent not 1.5x as good. I think this is for the best honestly. In a way the whole DONT NERF OUR CLANS ppl dont get one simple fact. The IS mechs cannot equip CLAN tech. This means that if you run a clan mech you are going to be driving an OBJECTIVELY BETTER MACHINE. Its not as good as the original clan tech but so what. you really want to see a madcat with OP clan lasers and no min range lrms?

The problem people are having is that they played MW4 or some other game where you could take an IS chassis and slap clan weps on it and make it essentially as good as or better than an equivalent tonnage clan machine. Instead the clan mechs will be better in every category and the IS gets stuck with their crap technology. Clearly the people who dont want a moderate clan nerf of some sort just want an I WIN button.

As a secondary point the PGI team can only tweak the weapons so much as they want to keep the higher heat higher damage thing going. If they for example make the clan medium laser weigh more or the clan PPCS generate too much heat it would break the stock loadouts of the Nova and Adder. The one thing that worries me was i heard that they were upping the tonnage on clan LRMS what is the maddog supposed to do when it comes out? Equip lrm 10s?

Edited by Ruhkil, 10 April 2014 - 08:26 AM.

#91 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:21 AM

@ Josef Nader: Well, what seems to be the issue to a few (lots) of people is that all the nerfs will remove the essence of Clantech. As you stated:

most MWO grognards see this and start shouting about how PGI should just match smaller clan teams vs numerically superior IS teams rather than trying to balance Clantech

And I remind you what's been happening since PGI has tried to balance IS tech... how will that translate when the Clan tech arrives regarding time and accuracy of their tweaks?

In light of this question, would it be such a bad idea to just put smaller Clan teams vs larger IS teams each match?

I know most people will go to Clan tech as soon as they can, but then again, if they are stuck with smaller teams vs larger IS teams, the game could have enough balance to make IS mechs last a bit longer in this game.

If that doesn't happen (making IS mechs interesting enough to keep using) MWO may very well change its name to CWO (Clan Warrior Online)...

#92 Josef Nader

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:33 AM

Yes, they will go over to Clantech, and the reason for this is simple psychology; it's more satisfying to score multiple kills a match. IS pilots will have lower KDRs and it will take more work to drop Clan mechs with numerically unbalanced teams. Again, your average Joe Schmo player will be PUGing along in his IS mechs and notice that those badass Clan mechs are getting more kills a match and want to be that guy. It won't take long before 70-80% of the player base is running Clantech.

Psychologically, it is more satisfying to get more kills a match. Even if you tell yourself that your lower KDR is against tougher opponents, eventually you're going to give in and switch over to the chassis that give you better numbers.

Again, like I said, only hardcore IS role players are interested in fighting superior opponents with grossly inferior tech. Everyone else who just doesn't care that much about Battletech will swap over to Clan mechs as soon as they become available.

#93 Ruhkil

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 98 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:34 AM

View PostFupDup, on 09 April 2014 - 09:17 AM, said:

Those loadouts wouldn't work very well in MWO.

Fox Alt A: Gauss on a light is impractical because lights are very tonnage limited and the Gauss is a heavy weapon. A CERPPC is a far better choice for lights. Also, ammo is 1 ton short of the gold standard in MWO (3 tons per GR).

Fox Alt B: ERSL will be suffer the same issues as the regular Small Laser versus the Medium Laser. SRMs are lackluster even when they register. The Ultra 10 won't have enough ammo to last more than a minute or two (you need 3 tons just for a regular AC/10).

Adder Alt A: Not even close to enough ammo for the LRMs. The launchers would have to get dropped down to 15's and the spare tonnage would have to be used on more ammo. Also, the Clan SPL probably won't be able to compare to the CERML.

Adder Alt B: The LB 5-X will suffer the same issues as the current LB 10-X does, i.e. spread damage too much to be worth the tonnage. The CUAC/5 will almost certainly be a far better weapon, although in the case of lights you probably don't want ballistics anyways due to their weight. The Large Pulse may or may not turn out to be decent, depending on how much PGI reduces it range (for the CERLL, for example, PGI only wants it to go 90 meters further than the IS ERLL).

true but remember PGI designed most of the maps with the IS weapons in mind. you can see that both start zones on forest colony are jussssst out of the extreme max range of the IS ERPPCS(i bet the maps are only 1800 or 2000m across from end to end) so its not hard to envision a true clan laser or ERPPC being just broken in terms of ingame implementation you can practically sit in your base turrets on assault and punish people on 75% of the map.
as to your stock loadout concerns I hear you in a way. the stock loadouts are never good but i put them up there to show that the Puma(Adder) in the config with 2 lrms 20 racks can be played as a catapult that goes 100km/h and the kit foxes 1 gauss x2 med lasers has pretty good range and damage considering clans weps hit harder and at comparatively longer ranges. The first two clan lights are DIFFERENT not crappy. honestly with the streak srm6s coming out any clan mech with missle hardpoints is not really gonna have trouble killing lights. we may even see a marked decrease of zippy low damage lights since any mech with a single missle harpoint could be potentially carrying the equivalent of 3 ssrm2s.

In the same vein clan LRMS still do damage at under 180M yes there is a dropoff but lets say a spider tries to bum rush a timberwolf and gets hit by a lrm40 barrage at 160m the spiders AMS cant do much at that range and most of the missles will hit. This means that the spider will have taken a full LRM 20-30 volley in the face in addition to a fraction of the the secondary weapons that timberwolf carries (if you can call that many lasers and MGS "secondary" ;)). Im pretty sure the kit fox has a missle hardpoint on most of its configs so it can sort of run picket duty and keep the IS lights away from the pack.

also we dont know if PGI will only release the PRIME A and B variants the kit fox C has ECM and if they make the kit fox C purchasable or make the Kitfox C omnipod that houses the ECM a component that can be bought you could see a wolfpack of an ECM kit fox a x2 clan ppc adder and a missleboat adder running around cloaked with huge range and damage at 100KPH. that much damage speed and range among the clan lights means that any IS mech that cannot go above 110KPH(pretty much 90-95% of the IS lineup) caught alone cannot retreat and will not have much time to react before it is dead. it all depends on how the lights are put in the game and what the alternate variants of the two lights are handled to see if they are DOA.

They might even change the meta the AC5 ppc victor? welp the clan lights can go as fast backwards as the victor can go forwards and have roughly equivalent damage at higher ranges. Perhaps they will be able to kite the victor to death.
AC/20 jager? 40 damage alpha at 270m? how fast does that thing go 60-70kph one Adder going 100kph in the primary config can kite it to death while blasting back for 30 dmg a pop clan ERPPCS.

Edited by Ruhkil, 10 April 2014 - 08:58 AM.

#94 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:38 AM

I understand your point Josef Nader.
But there would still be a way to prevent the KDR falling for IS players.
Just don't know if it would really be a good idea, but instead of getting a +1 for each kill, you get a +2 after you kill a Clan mech?
Not that they are twice as powerful or they are half of the numbers of IS in a match, but for sake of "KDR issues"...

#95 Outlaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 321 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Hope and Glory

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:52 AM

@The OP

First off DHS only provide 1.4 cooling not 2.0 as it should, which makes the twin ER PPCs of the Adder moot, as it will black out on the first shot since there is no way in hell even with all the advanced Clan tech that you clould carry a decent payload of heatsinks to manage that layout. Secondly neither mech carries ECM meaning that you will be able to detect it with no problem and if you are stupid enough to turn your back on one of these slow moving lights then you deserve what you get. Next up IS ER Large Lasers are doing 9 damage right now for 8.5 heat which is FAR less heat than what they originally did, the Clan ER Large does 10 which is only a 10% increase, chances are they will be stuck with 12 points of heat if they keep the damage as is, meaning that the IS version while heavier is far more efficient.

Next time do some bloody research on the game before you make moronic posts like this.

Edited by Outlaw, 10 April 2014 - 08:54 AM.

#96 Roachbugg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 195 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:00 AM

this community's ability to predict a mech as doa has a very poor track record

Victor: labeled doa do to hard points one of the best mechs in game

Spider Labeled Doa one of the most god damn annoyingly broken things in the game with its damn shield generator hitboxes

Locust: well they got one right..... though they do seem to be doing better now that they got their leg hit box fixed.

just about every mech this community has labeled DOA you will see on the field performing well every day...

#97 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:36 AM

I understand some adjustments...that is not what concerns me.

Frankly, superior numbers are also a massive advantage some are overlooking as well...the IS used them to great effect to combat the clans during the invasion, Luthien and other battles are prime examples of such events, and heaven forbid superior tactics should ever come into play in the "thinking mans shooter". As it currently sits, we have little in tactics outside of competitive 12 mans.

#98 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:42 AM

View PostGyrok, on 10 April 2014 - 09:36 AM, said:

we have little in tactics outside of competitive 12 mans.

And even there it often comes down to 24 Assaults exchanging PPC and UAC/5 shots covered by ECM..

#99 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:04 AM

View PostCyclonerM, on 10 April 2014 - 09:42 AM, said:

And even there it often comes down to 24 Assaults exchanging PPC and UAC/5 shots covered by ECM..

Actually we are seeing more groups running far lighter with different builds in preparation for 3/3/3/3 and CW. The days of 8+ assaults on each side have more or less gone from the 12 man queue.

Instead, we see lights with ECM + PPCs, Mediums with heavy AC builds, and Heavies and assaults built for jump sniping. So the meta game has just moved to smaller chassis...

Edited by Gyrok, 10 April 2014 - 10:05 AM.

#100 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:50 AM

View PostGyrok, on 10 April 2014 - 10:04 AM, said:

So the meta game has just moved to smaller chassis...

Exactly. I am still waiting for true changes.. In the meanwhile, i will keep enjoying Zellbrigen battles and Grand Melees occasionally.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users