#41 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:21 PM

View PostDONTOR, on 08 April 2014 - 01:14 PM, said:

They also stated that adding PPCs / ACs will lock your arms, meaning the Adder and Kitfox will be even less agile.

Wait a sec. I remember that they said you'd lose the lower arm actuators, but I don't recall them actually saying your arms would be LOCKED outright by it...did they? I would hope that it just does what no lower actuators do to Victors and Highlanders. Having armlock forced on all the time would suck popsickles.

Edited by FupDup, 08 April 2014 - 01:22 PM.

#42 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:22 PM

They also stated that adding PPCs / ACs will lock your arms, meaning the Adder and Kitfox will be even less agile.

there is an Adder configuration with 2 LPL and something else i do not remember now ..

And a KitFox configuration with a sweet Gauss :)

#43 E_Crow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 128 posts
  • LocationSPAAAAAACE!

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:35 PM

For my first example of why its not just hte clan who does this (Although in-game the IS doesn't have lights like that):

The Hollander!

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Hollander

That is all.

#44 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:53 PM

View PostFupDup, on 08 April 2014 - 01:21 PM, said:

Wait a sec. I remember that they said you'd lose the lower arm actuators, but I don't recall them actually saying your arms would be LOCKED outright by it...did they? I would hope that it just does what no lower actuators do to Victors and Highlanders. Having armlock forced on all the time would suck popsickles.

IIRC, you lose lateral motion in the arm, but retain vertical.

#45 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:15 PM

View PostFupDup, on 08 April 2014 - 01:21 PM, said:

I'm expecting either Victor S/B level motion, or just the Jaeger/BJ/jenner vertical.

Or if only one arm is actuated, you get the Victor, but both will get the lack of horizontal motion entirely.

#46 Odins Fist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:05 PM

View PostAstroTiki, on 08 April 2014 - 01:35 PM, said:

For my first example of why its not just hte clan who does this (Although in-game the IS doesn't have lights like that):

The Hollander!

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Hollander

That is all.

And that's only 4 years away... Unfortunately 4 real years away.

Unless they start changing what the timeline will be and when it starts "AGAIN".

#47 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:11 PM

50KPH is a MASSIVE speed difference, and can be the difference between a good or bad light mech (currently)
Im not saying Clan light mechs will be DOA, but I am very curious how they could possibly overcome such a huge difference in speed. Which is why I cant wait for the freakin Mist Lynx.

And ya battlemechs probably are too buffed, but it is what it is I guess.

Neg, they stated that it would REDUCE arm movement, NOT LOCK your arms.

It will remove the hand/lower arm actuator. look at the HGN-733C or VTR-9S/B those have no lower arm actuators...THAT is what you will get...

Edited by Gyrok, 08 April 2014 - 03:12 PM.

#48 Josef Nader

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:10 PM

I think most people are grossly underestimating the Clan Lights and grossly over exaggerating the extent of the Clantech balancing. So far, the only thing the Devs have said they're going to do is slightly drop the range of the ERLL while increasing its duration, ripple fire the SSRMs, and play with the heat values.of LRMs. Folks have wildly extrapolated this to "zomg ruined furevar!!1!!".

As far as clan lights vs the Ryoken, the lights are going to have a much smaller profile, and more maneuverable and responsive in a fight. They're going to turn tighter, twist faster, and generally be significantly more maneuverable. Most significantly, they're going to be a -lot- harder to hit at range, if you compare the size of our current 30 and 35 ton lights to the size of our current 55 tonners. Again, saying the Clan lights are superceded by the Stormcrow is short sighted. Also, there is a mere 7 ton difference in pod space beteeen the Stormcrow and both the Adder and the Kit Fox. The Stormcrow has 23 tons free and the Adder and Kit Fox have 16 tons apiece. The difference is there, sure, but its not as huge as you might think.

Will the Stormcrow be tougher and hit harder? Sure. The lights will be more agile and a smaller target. That counts for a lot.

Finally, playing slow lights isn't nearly as horrific as people make it out to be. Is it a different playstyle? Sure, but the days of light mechs outrunning the server's ability to keep track of them have long since past, and having a max engine light no longer grants invincibility. People still act like it does, and this rigid thinking has ensured lights get played a certain way with no variation. As someone who's been actively experimenting with lights mounting the same engine as Clan lights and they're quite viable. Low profile, agile, and responsive, I've gotten some solid performance out of slow, firepower focused lights. When I can start squeezing some real firepower on them, I imagine they're going to become a much more serious threat.

#49 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:55 PM

View PostJosef Nader, on 08 April 2014 - 04:10 PM, said:

As far as clan lights vs the Ryoken, the lights are going to have a much smaller profile, and more maneuverable and responsive in a fight. They're going to turn tighter, twist faster, and generally be significantly more maneuverable. Most significantly, they're going to be a -lot- harder to hit at range, if you compare the size of our current 30 and 35 ton lights to the size of our current 55 tonners. Again, saying the Clan lights are superceded by the Stormcrow is short sighted. Also, there is a mere 7 ton difference in pod space beteeen the Stormcrow and both the Adder and the Kit Fox. The Stormcrow has 23 tons free and the Adder and Kit Fox have 16 tons apiece. The difference is there, sure, but its not as huge as you might think.

Will the Stormcrow be tougher and hit harder? Sure. The lights will be more agile and a smaller target. That counts for a lot.

The elephant in the room here is that engine ratings have a direct effect on your mech's agility. Smaller engines give less agility than larger ones. For some examples to illustrate this, I'm going to show the Smurfys agility stats for a 55 ton, 35 ton, and 30 ton mech. I used the TT stock engine ratings for the Ryoken, Puma, and Uller in them.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Notice how the speed for torso + arm yaw/pitch is basically the same between all of them, with the Kintaro being slightly faster for torso yaw. Not shown in these pictures is that they also have identical rates of turning (68.79 degrees per second). The only difference between them is the max range of arm/torso yaw/pitch, in which case it's still very close between the three of them. I can't find anywhere that shows their acceleration rates so I can't compare those.

Of course, these aren't the stats of the actual Ryoken/Puma/Uller so we can't make a final verdict yet, but there appears to be a very consistent pattern between all mechs of a given weight and their agility stats for a given engine rating. As homework, you can try giving the same engine ratings to Jenners, Ravens, and the other 55 ton mediums to compare that they'd exhibit the same exact details (only differences being yaw/pitch limits).

(I chose the Kintaro because Shads have a small yaw/pitch range and Wolvies/Griffins have a high one. The KTO seems like a nice midway point between them. I chose the Firestarter for the 35 tonner because it has lower arm actuators, versus Jenners and Ravens that don't. I chose the Spider for the 30 tonner because it's the only 30 tonner we have).

View PostJosef Nader, on 08 April 2014 - 04:10 PM, said:

Finally, playing slow lights isn't nearly as horrific as people make it out to be. Is it a different playstyle? Sure, but the days of light mechs outrunning the server's ability to keep track of them have long since past, and having a max engine light no longer grants invincibility. People still act like it does, and this rigid thinking has ensured lights get played a certain way with no variation. As someone who's been actively experimenting with lights mounting the same engine as Clan lights and they're quite viable. Low profile, agile, and responsive, I've gotten some solid performance out of slow, firepower focused lights. When I can start squeezing some real firepower on them, I imagine they're going to become a much more serious threat.

It's not about lagshield. It's about playing to your strengths. The analogy that I keep coming back to over and over again is the Charger assault mech. It was built with a very large engine, sub-par armor, and very little armament. It ended badly. The natural strength of the assault class is armor and firepower; trying to build one to be fast is idiotic. People who want to play the Charger would be completely better off in a heavy or even a medium because those classes are better at doing the Charger's job than the Charger was.

And that's the opposite situation that slow lights face. You will never, ever, not in a million years be able to carry the armor of a medium (provided that the medium in question isn't under-armored intentionally). The battletech construction system prevents this, period. You also will not have as much firepower as a medium (that is well designed), for the same reason. But you can, however, have high efficiency out of your engines that let you move faster than them with a smaller engine than they have. That gives you an ability that no other weight class can replicate. It's the "deadly skill" of the lights, just like how Aquaman's special skill is communication with sea creatures or how Spiderman's skills are webslinging and his Spidey sense. It's what makes them special. There's a reason the Urbanmech is a bad light (it's iconic and people love it, yes, but only because it's bad).

Not taking advantage of your class's natural strengths is like trying to train a fish to climb a tree or using a spoon to perform heart surgery. Or, like trying to use Aquaman for his raw strength as opposed to the Hulk or Superman for their strength. Every job has a tool that is best and optimally suited to accomplish it. People who understand the battlemech construction system are "rigid" in their thinking because the system itself is rigid. It was designed to have "bests" hardwired right into it.

Edited by FupDup, 08 April 2014 - 05:01 PM.

#50 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:41 PM

View PostKhobai, on 08 April 2014 - 08:24 AM, said:

Its simple really:

1) omnimechs SHOULD be allowed to change engine rating (i.e. change from a 280XL to a 300XL)
2) omnimechs SHOULD NOT be allowed to change engine type (i.e. cant change from XL to STD or vice versa)

Just so you know, Clans almost never use standard engines except on IS (C) variants on some IIC models.

And with the way Clan XLs work, losing a side torso won't kill it. So that defeats that purpose.

#51 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:47 PM

View PostFupDup, on 08 April 2014 - 04:55 PM, said:

The elephant in the room here is that engine ratings have a direct effect on your mech's agility. Smaller engines give less agility than larger ones. For some examples to illustrate this, I'm going to show the Smurfys agility stats for a 55 ton, 35 ton, and 30 ton mech. I used the TT stock engine ratings for the Ryoken, Puma, and Uller in them.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Notice how the speed for torso + arm yaw/pitch is basically the same between all of them, with the Kintaro being slightly faster for torso yaw. Not shown in these pictures is that they also have identical rates of turning (68.79 degrees per second). The only difference between them is the max range of arm/torso yaw/pitch, in which case it's still very close between the three of them. I can't find anywhere that shows their acceleration rates so I can't compare those.

Of course, these aren't the stats of the actual Ryoken/Puma/Uller so we can't make a final verdict yet, but there appears to be a very consistent pattern between all mechs of a given weight and their agility stats for a given engine rating. As homework, you can try giving the same engine ratings to Jenners, Ravens, and the other 55 ton mediums to compare that they'd exhibit the same exact details (only differences being yaw/pitch limits).

(I chose the Kintaro because Shads have a small yaw/pitch range and Wolvies/Griffins have a high one. The KTO seems like a nice midway point between them. I chose the Firestarter for the 35 tonner because it has lower arm actuators, versus Jenners and Ravens that don't. I chose the Spider for the 30 tonner because it's the only 30 tonner we have).

It's not about lagshield. It's about playing to your strengths. The analogy that I keep coming back to over and over again is the Charger assault mech. It was built with a very large engine, sub-par armor, and very little armament. It ended badly. The natural strength of the assault class is armor and firepower; trying to build one to be fast is idiotic. People who want to play the Charger would be completely better off in a heavy or even a medium because those classes are better at doing the Charger's job than the Charger was.

And that's the opposite situation that slow lights face. You will never, ever, not in a million years be able to carry the armor of a medium (provided that the medium in question isn't under-armored intentionally). The battletech construction system prevents this, period. You also will not have as much firepower as a medium (that is well designed), for the same reason. But you can, however, have high efficiency out of your engines that let you move faster than them with a smaller engine than they have. That gives you an ability that no other weight class can replicate. It's the "deadly skill" of the lights, just like how Aquaman's special skill is communication with sea creatures or how Spiderman's skills are webslinging and his Spidey sense. It's what makes them special. There's a reason the Urbanmech is a bad light (it's iconic and people love it, yes, but only because it's bad).

Not taking advantage of your class's natural strengths is like trying to train a fish to climb a tree or using a spoon to perform heart surgery. Or, like trying to use Aquaman for his raw strength as opposed to the Hulk or Superman for their strength. Every job has a tool that is best and optimally suited to accomplish it. People who understand the battlemech construction system are "rigid" in their thinking because the system itself is rigid. It was designed to have "bests" hardwired right into it.

Very few people run a XL330 in a KTO when a XL300 gets you 97 kph....

#52 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:49 PM

View PostGyrok, on 08 April 2014 - 07:47 PM, said:

Very few people run a XL330 in a KTO when a XL300 gets you 97 kph....

You don't get that option with the Ryoken. :\

#53 Josef Nader

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:59 PM

View PostFupDup, on 08 April 2014 - 07:49 PM, said:

You don't get that option with the Ryoken. :\

What I was getting at is that the lights have additional strengths beyond speed, namely low profile and small size. In my experience, lights make very good long range platforms, even at lower speeds, because they're significantly harder to hit than medium mechs at a distance. This profile, even at lower speeds, gives them a major advantage that I think a lot of people don't take into account.

And again, my big point was that lagshield encouraged building lights a certain way, and moreso than any other weight class lights have been locked into one style of play because of the mentality that the playerbase developed during the old lagshield days. Why don't firepower focused lights work in MWO? They do, it's just that nobody has been playing them, developing tactics for them, or carving out a niche in the meta for them.

#54 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:23 PM

View PostJosef Nader, on 08 April 2014 - 07:59 PM, said:

What I was getting at is that the lights have additional strengths beyond speed, namely low profile and small size. In my experience, lights make very good long range platforms, even at lower speeds, because they're significantly harder to hit than medium mechs at a distance. This profile, even at lower speeds, gives them a major advantage that I think a lot of people don't take into account.

And again, my big point was that lagshield encouraged building lights a certain way, and moreso than any other weight class lights have been locked into one style of play because of the mentality that the playerbase developed during the old lagshield days. Why don't firepower focused lights work in MWO? They do, it's just that nobody has been playing them, developing tactics for them, or carving out a niche in the meta for them.

They certainly can be annoying trolls from across the map (damn you 2 ERLL ECM Ravens!) but in my own anecdotal experience I can usually play peekwars fairly well with my rather large Shadow Hawk (or even mechs bigger than that). Heck, I can even pull it off with a Victor sometimes. It just feels like I'd be giving up more than what I gain, which isn't helped by the fact that not all maps have easy access to good trolling platforms (i.e. maps like Alpine and Deathstar are great for this, but others are not so great...). Now, if we got lucky and we got the Kit Fox's ECM variant (or at least be able to buy the pods and mount them on some other variant), then things might be fun.

#55 Josef Nader

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:34 PM

Again, all I'm saying is that it's really early to discount the playstyle when we really don't have an equivalent in the current game. The 2 ERLL Ravens and Spiders are probably the closest comparisons, and they seem to do pretty well in my experience.

#56 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:08 PM

View PostJosef Nader, on 08 April 2014 - 08:34 PM, said:

Again, all I'm saying is that it's really early to discount the playstyle when we really don't have an equivalent in the current game. The 2 ERLL Ravens and Spiders are probably the closest comparisons, and they seem to do pretty well in my experience.

The Ravens and Spiders usually seem to have ECM, though, which makes them much stealthier. They also tend to move noticeably faster (i.e. somewhere in the neighborhood of 130-140+ kph). They're much better equipped/specialized for the long-range trolling role than the upcoming light Omnis are. With this being said, the closest comparison might actually be the slow Raven variants or other oddball lights that try to pack on a lot of gunz (i.e. AC/20 Raven) but don't have the speed or stealth of the ERLL/ERPPC trolls. The latter can be quite a nuisance at times but the former have a tendency of exploding.

The Kit Fox having ECM can currently go one way or the other (I've got my fingers crossed) although the Adder almost certainly won't get it.

#57 Ruhkil

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:39 PM

I don't think that the clan lights will be DOA since at most there will be 6 lights on the field at any one time (both teams get 3) so if the clan lights play smart and dont just stand still in front of an atlas or some similar blunder their native firepower will allow them to contribute. If we were to compare a team of 12 IS mechs vs 12 clan mechs the IS lights speed might be a factor in favor of IS but the whole group of clan mechs runs at basically the same speed and can engage at longer ranges than the IS. The amount of long range fire from the clan lines should,with the help of the Adder especially, core any IS mech that tries to brawl or play peekabo.

#58 Ruhkil

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:43 PM

also remember that currently we have some maps where the speed of the GROUP AS A WHOLE determines how the match goes. Alpine is the best example. about 8 out of every 10 games on that map its fighting over the H10 high ground If you can claim that bluff at H10 either by bum rushing the team that starts with it or doggedly hanging on to it if you start on that side it usually means you have won the match.The faster speeds and higher damage of the clan force in addition to increased range (when looked at as an aggregate 90kph timberwolf with lrms and clan lasers!!! ahhhhh) should enable them to hold the H10 high ground very well. In a way the Adder and Kit foxes low speed encourages them to stay with the pack and not just sprint around like some of the spider pilots seem to do. Picture in you mind 2 warhawks a direwolf and x2 Adders on the hill top of alpine shooting down at people as they come up not a happy sight for the IS mediums and heavys ;).

Edited by Ruhkil, 08 April 2014 - 09:46 PM.

#59 Ruhkil

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:54 PM

gonna post the A and B variants of the clan lights from Sarna just as an FYI
  • Alt. Config A The A configuration of the Kit Fox uses a Gauss Rifle as its primary long-range weapon. Two ER Medium Lasers provide medium and short-range firepower. BV (1.0) = 1,218[2], BV (2.0) = 1,310[1][7]
  • Alt. Config B The B configuration of the Kit Fox boasts a rapid-fire Ultra Autocannon-10 as its primary weapon, startling considering the 'Mech's tonnage. An ER Medium Laser, ER Small Laser, and an SRM-6 rack allow the Kit Fox B to finish off anything that manages to close ranges. BV (1.0) = 1,016[2], BV (2.0) = 1,088[1], 1,087[8] The kit Fox C is the ECM variant hopefully we can buy the C omnipods and get access to ECM for the kit fo

• Alt. Config. A

A long range missile support configuration, the Adder A has a pair of LRM-20 launchers, allowing it to bombard an enemy from long range. For close combat, the 'Mech has two Small Pulse Lasers. BV (1.0) = 1,304[3], BV (2.0) = 1,437[1][7]

• Alt. Config. B

A long range sniping configuration, the B configuration carries an LB-X Autocannon/5 backed up by a highly accurate Large Pulse Laser for long range engagements. To protect itself at close ranges, the AdderB has a pair of ER Medium Lasers. BV (1.0) = 1,176[3], BV (2.0) = 1,422[1][8]

Edited by Ruhkil, 08 April 2014 - 09:57 PM.

#60 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:50 PM

View PostRuhkil, on 08 April 2014 - 09:54 PM, said:

gonna post the A and B variants of the clan lights from Sarna just as an FYI
  • Alt. Config A The A configuration of the Kit Fox uses a Gauss Rifle as its primary long-range weapon. Two ER Medium Lasers provide medium and short-range firepower. BV (1.0) = 1,218[2], BV (2.0) = 1,310[1][7]
  • Alt. Config B The B configuration of the Kit Fox boasts a rapid-fire Ultra Autocannon-10 as its primary weapon, startling considering the 'Mech's tonnage. An ER Medium Laser, ER Small Laser, and an SRM-6 rack allow the Kit Fox B to finish off anything that manages to close ranges. BV (1.0) = 1,016[2], BV (2.0) = 1,088[1], 1,087[8] The kit Fox C is the ECM variant hopefully we can buy the C omnipods and get access to ECM for the kit fo

• Alt. Config. A

A long range missile support configuration, the Adder A has a pair of LRM-20 launchers, allowing it to bombard an enemy from long range. For close combat, the 'Mech has two Small Pulse Lasers. BV (1.0) = 1,304[3], BV (2.0) = 1,437[1][7]

• Alt. Config. B

A long range sniping configuration, the B configuration carries an LB-X Autocannon/5 backed up by a highly accurate Large Pulse Laser for long range engagements. To protect itself at close ranges, the AdderB has a pair of ER Medium Lasers. BV (1.0) = 1,176[3], BV (2.0) = 1,422[1][8]

I think some people are really gonna cry that Light is OP. ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users