7 replies to this topic

#1 RTDouglas

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 51 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:31 PM

I just wanted to start a thread on this topic to see how people feel about this issue.

Personally I never have.... yet.... although I have been seriously considering it. It seems to be acceptable and common practice in this game for dead players to give away the positions of friendly mechs who are hiding. They argue that by not dying in the first 5 minute, you are somehow forcing them to waste their time. I had assumed that was what the exit match button was for, but apparently I am wrong.

I have taken to writing the names down of these players and I now feel like I should start acting on this. I feel that when I start match I should probably start it by cleaning up my own team of any names I recognize. Perhaps this would force some people to put some thought into this issue. I am not here to start hating on people but I find it extremely troubling that this community seems to feel that this behaviour is acceptable.

Some of us enjoy playing this game... some of us enjoy playing it well. I like to survive if possible and it seriously confuses me that someone playing to the best of their ability should be constantly betrayed by dead teammates.

Are there any other options other that teamkilling these players before match begins? I feel this issue needs to be addressed. I am playing within the rules of the game and I am verbally abused and then betrayed to my death by teammates who feel "honour" is doing 50 damage and dying in 2 minutes?

Thoughts?

#2 ManaValkyrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 507 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:56 PM

No. 1 Screenshot the chat and flag it too support through the website, as telling the enemy where 'live' mechs are in match is against the social conduct rules.

No. 2 Killing members of your own team is against the rules and can earn you a ban if someone on your team reports you.

No.3 The only socially acceptable 'reporting' players position is considered to be disconnected mechs on Skirmish mode, however this is technically a violation of the game rules. But players are unlikely to report players for this.

No.4 Hiding at the end of a match is one of the disputed some players hate it, other players accept it. Some people will argue that the lone hiding mech is 'wasting' their time by locking up a mech for unacceptable time. Personally for me it depends on a couple of things, in conquest, if we have the caps and the last guy running and hiding is going to win the match for us great. If we are behind on caps and they are just hiding to avoid death, its a little more frustrating but nothing wrong with it so long as they have either engaged the enemy or tried to win the match type by capping.

In other game modes so long as the player has attacked the enemy, then fine, its not against the rules, although again people will complain cause you are keeping their favourite mech/chassis or whatever locked. For me so long as said 'hiding' mech is attempting to ambush and evade.etc rather than go to a corner and shutdown I don't mind at all. However, I wont report a player for it to the other team.

No.5 Assuming that someone who died in 2 minutes and only did 50 damage has no honour either is pretty bad, I have had plenty of matches where I have turned a corner and run into 4-6 high alpha damage mechs, got of only a small amount of damage and died from the said 4-6 alphas to the chest. Remember here that someone could have had bad luck, we all have days like that. When I die in match, I tend to sit and notify the rest of the team, enemy positions and strengths and generally try to give useful battlefield intel by hopping between chassis.
However the comment you gave also is usually spouted off by the same people who go why should I listen to a play who died and only did x damage they are -insert whatever name you want here- which wont help your issue.

By the way the code of conduct is here: http://mwomercs.com/...49#entry3043649

Edited by ManaValkyrie, 05 April 2014 - 11:56 PM.

#3 Craig Steele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts
  • LocationCSR Mountbatton awaiting clearance for tactical deployment

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:59 PM

View PostRTDouglas, on 05 April 2014 - 11:31 PM, said:

I just wanted to start a thread on this topic to see how people feel about this issue.

Personally I never have.... yet.... although I have been seriously considering it. It seems to be acceptable and common practice in this game for dead players to give away the positions of friendly mechs who are hiding. They argue that by not dying in the first 5 minute, you are somehow forcing them to waste their time. I had assumed that was what the exit match button was for, but apparently I am wrong.

I have taken to writing the names down of these players and I now feel like I should start acting on this. I feel that when I start match I should probably start it by cleaning up my own team of any names I recognize. Perhaps this would force some people to put some thought into this issue. I am not here to start hating on people but I find it extremely troubling that this community seems to feel that this behaviour is acceptable.

Some of us enjoy playing this game... some of us enjoy playing it well. I like to survive if possible and it seriously confuses me that someone playing to the best of their ability should be constantly betrayed by dead teammates.

Are there any other options other that teamkilling these players before match begins? I feel this issue needs to be addressed. I am playing within the rules of the game and I am verbally abused and then betrayed to my death by teammates who feel "honour" is doing 50 damage and dying in 2 minutes?

Thoughts?

Nope, don't do it ;)

#4 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:08 AM

There is really no justification for someone just hiding.

#5 RTDouglas

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 51 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:32 AM

I agree ManaValkyrie. I did not mean to imply that dying in 2 minutes and only doing 50 damage is dishonourable. I have died that way too many times myself ;) I have never complained about that. My point was that because I refuse to follow these players definition of honour - aka dying in 2 mins and doing 50 damage, then ratting out your teammate who has fought hard, did 600+ damage and then wanted to do there level best to survive the last 2 minutes of the game. Somehow THAT is dishonourable to these players.

In my opinion. whether a player has done 900+ or 0 damage is I agree, not the point.

Yes I am frustrated but my argument I suppose is a moral one. These players who give up friendly players positions seem to feel that they are the one who have been wronged. I find this position completely insane.

View PostRoland, on 06 April 2014 - 12:08 AM, said:

Why?

Should we line up like the British in the 18th century?

My aim is victory, and to some, surviving a bad situation to fight another day is victory.

#6 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:32 AM

Team Traitors should be reported to support@mwomercs.com

1. Take a screenshot.
2. In an email write down the time and map this occurred on within a few minutes.
3. Attach the Screenshot which should be in your Piranha Games/Mechwarrior Online/User/Screenshot folder
4. Send it in.

Do this as soon as possible after the match. Do it even if it was not you who was 'ghosted' by a team traitor or even if you know it was the opposition.

There is ONE exception to this: a real Disco. You can see that easy enough by pressing Tab in match. Then it is all right to report the last mech's position if you know it because the client kicked them, or they bailed... something. Otherwise it is against the rules. Period.

Those who believe it's okay to be team traitors because they don't want to drop a trial mech, or wait for their mech to be out of match are being selfish louts. If you engage in the game in any way, move around, shoot a weapon (successfully or not) you did not grief the match. Sometimes stuff happens, or you just don't want to eat a Gauss rifle round in the face, or you want to try to ambush someone and you're waiting. This is making an attempt to engage. You never know if the person is new, drunk, something went on at home... it doesn't matter.

There is no excuse for Team Treason. You either drop match and choose one of your other mechs, or use one of the four trial mechs. If you can't do this, you need to uninstall and go find people who will tolerate your behavior.

#7 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:37 AM

View PostRoland, on 06 April 2014 - 12:08 AM, said:

There is no justification for being tactically/strategically stupid for someone else's vanity. Hiding is a valid tactic. Don't like hiders slowing you up, play assault and cap out if you can. Don't want to wait that long, tell PGI to install a "Retreat" function that does not penalize the strategically smart player or don't believe in playing Kobayashi Maru once the ROFLstomp is obvious. Otherwise, find another game.

Edited by Kjudoon, 06 April 2014 - 12:37 AM.

#8 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:46 AM

There is no justification to act against the code of conduct or the griefing rules.

How to act, if a player decides to do so, has been mentioned in this thread already. Support is the place to go. The gamemasters are the only ones who can act against such players.

Closing this thread now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users