Mwo Crashing My Computer :(

19 replies to this topic

#1 CheshireCat420

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:12 AM

So ever since UI 2.0 came out I've been having this issue. I can log in and play the game, but sooner or later (so far always within 3 matches) my computer crashes. It happens at various times, mid match or just as I'm trying to enter a match. I'm running Windows 7 (64 bit), AMD FX™-4100 Quad-Core, 16 GB RAM, and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti graphics card. Anyone else having a similar problem or have any ideas? Game always ran fine before UI 2.0 ;)

#2 Odins Fist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:25 PM

Might want to post this in workarounds/support.. Your system specs indicate you can run MWO at Medium/Low settings.
Also turn off DX-11, and go back to DX-9.

Also have you checked your heat with CPUID Hardware Monitor..?? Are the fans on your video card running and ramping up to compensate for the heat created by higher stress loads.?? You may need to download MSI after-burner and setup a fan profile.
Is your CPU overheating.?? Look into all of these things, so that you can narrow down the issue.

Process of elimination.
It probably isn't a hardware issue, but it's always good to know exactly what your system is doing to rule that out as a possibility.

Edited by Odins Fist, 06 April 2014 - 12:27 PM.

#3 CheshireCat420

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:20 PM

Just did all that. MWO has been running on DX-9. Yes, CPU has been heating up, and no, fans were not ramping up to compensate, but I can now ramp them up, thank you.

#4 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:01 PM

Greetings all,

As a note with Nvidia drivers, look at installing the "system tools" addition for the control panel. It allows you to set up "profiles" specifically for different applications and games.
It also allows you to "overclock" the video card/s but unless your running aftermarket cooling I would not advise it.

- It will detect when the application or game is started and closed.
- It will apply the profile you have set up for that game. (I have one just for MWO and my vid cards heat and fans.)

Here's the link from Nvidia:
(insure that you get the driver set for either 32 or 64bit depending on what version of Win you run.)
- This link is 64Bit only.
http://www.nvidia.co....08-driver.html

The program will install additional items into the left tab control panel
- Mine looks like this, with the profiles for each card displayed.
Posted Image

This is one of the rule sets I have for MWO, it tracks the heat and auto rams up the fans.
- Only starts when the game starts,
Posted Image

I have a few "profiles" that I can either manually select or have them auto on/off for the application they were designed for. And they work great.
- The Profiles are quite comprehensive in what they can do and there perimeters, example shown.

Posted Image

Good luck,
9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 06 April 2014 - 09:08 PM.

#5 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:30 PM

So basically it's an MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision X, only from Nvidia itself. The one thing it has that others don't is the "load specific settings only when X game is running" part. I want mine to run maxed-out for all games, so I will continue using Precision X.

Oh, and Cheshire...

Please elaborate on "my computer crashes." What EXACTLY happens? Do you return back to Windows desktop? Does it black-screen?

#6 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:09 PM

View PostCheshireCat420, on 06 April 2014 - 02:20 PM, said:

Just did all that. MWO has been running on DX-9. Yes, CPU has been heating up, and no, fans were not ramping up to compensate, but I can now ramp them up, thank you.

You're welcome... ^_^

Please post back with your results, that way WE can all see if that helps, and possibly be a fix for someone else.
Friend up ingame and run a few maps sometime.

Good Hunting..!!

#7 ThatBum42

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 220 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:19 AM

Can you post the contents of C:\Program Files\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\omicron.log to pastebin after you've had a crash?

#8 CheshireCat420

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:46 PM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 06 April 2014 - 09:30 PM, said:

Oh, and Cheshire...

Please elaborate on "my computer crashes." What EXACTLY happens? Do you return back to Windows desktop? Does it black-screen?

It just shuts off. No return to desktop, just power off. Haven't had a lot of time to play, been busy with work but I'll try tomorrow and see how it runs and post results. Thanks guys.

#9 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:01 PM

View PostCheshireCat420, on 11 April 2014 - 06:46 PM, said:

It just shuts off. No return to desktop, just power off. Haven't had a lot of time to play, been busy with work but I'll try tomorrow and see how it runs and post results. Thanks guys.

Sounds like an overheat...

#10 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:49 PM

Yeah, when a computer shuts itself off, there are several possibilities, none of which are directly software-related.

1. Power supply issue.

Playing intensive games makes all computers draw more power than normal. If the power supply can't handle the power draw, it will shut itself off. It could be related to age or a malfunctioning part within the power supply itself.

2. Heat issue.

A part of your computer (CPU or GPU most likely, though it could also be the power-handling components on the mainboard) could be reaching its maximum heat threshold. When they reach it, they will shut down to save themselves.

If could also be something related to heat expansion and contraction. As your graphics card heats up, it expands, and when it cools down, it contracts. During that expansion cycle, it could be losing contact with the slot it's plugged into. This would cause the computer to shut down. The expansion and contraction isn't much, but even one millimeter could be the difference between making contact and not making contact. This could also happen with the power-handling components on the mainboard.

#11 CheshireCat420

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:30 PM

Yeah pretty sure it's a heat issue. Hopefully increasing the fan speed will help. Sorry, I didn't test it out today. The A/C chose to stop working today, so it was hot as hell, not a good time to be testing whether my computer is overheating >< As soon as I get a chance to test things out I'll let you guys know.

#12 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:12 AM

Greetings,

You haven't mentioned what brand or size of power supply you have installed, or how old it is. The newest drivers from Nvidia may still need a few tweaks to stabilize those drivers.

Is the power supply rated to handle everything you currently have running? With PGI changing the game code and tweaking this and that, we are seeing different systems being effected. Older versions of the game were really CPU intensive, newer patch's are attempting to hand off some of the computations to the GPU(s), especially the DX11 side. But they will also stress and require more power as these elements are throttled up. If you were at your limit before with the PSU or just overtaxing the 12v line(s) any changes to power requirements or increases will overstress the PSU and cause to go into "thermal shut down".

As you stated your entire system is just crashing and the computer is shutting off, PSU's will absolutely do this as they fail. Eventually they just will not turn on, at least the 12v rails won't, you might still see power on the 5v rail and see a few LED's on the motherboard light up. System continually shutting down or rebooting normally indicates it's time for a better PSU.
[and before it does some damage to the rest of your system.]

I had a similar situation with my old PSU, in about a 2 week time frame my system would randomly just reboot itself. Till one night there was this "POP" and the computer just shut off. Checked all the systems and motherboard, no blown caps or components, just no power. The 5V line was live but the 12V was dead, I could have taken it apart and found the failed part to replace, but just upsizing to a new warrantied "gold series" seemed so much easer. Installed new PSU, changed the old modular cables for new, ran the new dedicated 12v's to the vid cards, connect the rest, power on, and never looked back.

More info needed on your PSU, would help, and the model # and make. Manufactured year is on the label, as most are only good or rated for about 5 yrs. (on average, depending on location.)

If you do go for a new PSU, ensure it is at least rates as "80 Plus" certified. The Bronze, silver, and gold higher ratings just guaranty better quality, parts, and cleaner power. (but = more $)
- it certifies products that have more than 80% energy efficiency at 20%, 50% and 100% of rated load, and a power factor of 0.9 or greater at 100% load. That is, such PSUs will waste 20% or less electric energy as heat at the specified load levels, thus reducing electricity use and bills compared to less efficient PSUs.
- So keep that in mind while shopping for a PSU, there's no good ending to "I got a great deal on this no name brand" PSU. Your computers PSU is the life blood of your system, scrimp on that and everything else is degraded.

good luck,
9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 14 April 2014 - 04:50 AM.

#13 ThatBum42

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 220 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:15 AM

Oh, I see. I misunderstood, the whole machine dies and not just the game.

I concur that it could be the power supply going funny. Computers really hate it when they're given dirty/out-of-spec power. Can you open your case and read the rating in watts?

I suggest running Prime95 (with CoreTemp to monitor temperatures) to stress the CPU, and FurMark to stress the GPU. If temps are very high (>65C CPU, >80C GPU) and you invoke a thermal shutdown, it's a cooling issue. If you shut down far before the temps get high, it's probably a PSU issue.

#14 CheshireCat420

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:36 AM

Power Supply is a XION PowerReal XON-600F14T-201 (600 watts). Not exactly sure how old it is since I got it from a friend. Seems to be a cooling issue as temperatures do get high and it shuts down, and not before. Thanks for all the help guys.

Edited by CheshireCat420, 16 April 2014 - 11:37 AM.

#15 BARBAR0SSA

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:41 AM

Clean out your CPU fan if you haven't, and you need a hardware monitor to see if it's CPU or GPU overheating.

Try the side of the case off with a table top fan blowing IN the case.

Also try playing another game, like crysis, farcry 3 if you have them, they are quite intensive, battlefield 4 as well. If they cause same issue, it's not an MWO issue and then you know to try checking hardware.

#16 Guardian00

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 59 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:50 AM

Try the MWO Repair tool: http://mwomercs.com/...public-release/
maybe some files are corrupted.

Check the disk for errors

Edited by Guardian00, 16 April 2014 - 11:50 AM.

#17 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:17 PM

Greetings all,

After checking a few sites that sell that specific power supply, here are a few of the comments. Seems there may be a quality issue with that specific PSU, and they don't sell it anymore. Here's just some of the comments.

1. Cons: Has a major soldering joint flaw. I have had 2 of these power supplies stop working after about 1.5 years. There is a big resistor inside that breaks loose and I have to scrape the board really good and re-solder. now both have been going strong ever since.

2. it blew up after about 1.5yrs or so, I remember thinking It had just passed the warranty on it.
Other Thoughts: Buy another brand, this is not sold anymore as of this writing, i won't be buying a Xion brand again thou. Check out the top sellers get a brand name you know. more $ doesn't always = better PS. I can accept 4 or 5 yrs and failing but was not happy at all to get under 2yrs on a product that was fairly expensive at the time of purchase.

3. Cons: still can't believe this thing quit in 6 months running athlon 64 FX60 @2.8ghz, 2GB dr500, 2x 7900GS Xtreme (XFX 525/1550) in SLI mode, 3 cd-rw, 1-dvdrw 2 sata drives.The power supply should not all of the sudden decide to quit like this at all. Other Thoughts: i will never buy this brand again, replaced with 650watt cooler master ultra silent, which oddly, can output 780watts for short times.

4. Cons: After that initial month, I noticed things started to go wrong when the fan would not work correctly. No matter what I did, the fan would not turn on. A few days later it worked, only to stop again and ever come on, even when my pc got too hot. I had to take off the side panel to keep it from overheating, but I made sure it was in a safe place and that nothing would touch it. A few months later, this PSU stopped working all together. I had to take it out and put in an old psu, which is how I'm on right now.

5. Cons: From day 1 the fan on the PSU has made horrible noise. Occasionally the sound will go away but if i just barely move my case it comes back. The noise from the PSU sounds like the fan is going to fall off.

So not sure if these were just faulty components, cheap workmanship, or just a bad design, but there are some issues with this unit. The first comment about a bad solder joint may be endemic to the brand? Safety note here, if your not familiar with PSU's and how to "unload the capacitor" before opening the case STOP and do the research.
(there is a reason for the big safety warning on the case, those caps hold power for days or weeks.)
[- apparently the issue at #1 with the bad solder joint, the guy must not know how to reflow the solder? Some copper braid, a bit of non corrosive solder paste or liquid would have fixed it without any scraping.]

Just some info,
9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 16 April 2014 - 03:22 PM.

#18 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:19 PM

what is the temperature of your CPU when it's running MWO? the heatsinks may not be in good contact with the CPU, reinstalling the CPU and cooling sytem with a new coat of thermal paste may help.

check the PSU as well, is it running hot? A good psu should run at ambient or just slightly warm temperature. If it's hot, then there's a problem.

#19 CheshireCat420

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:54 AM

View Postknightsljx, on 16 April 2014 - 04:19 PM, said:

what is the temperature of your CPU when it's running MWO? the heatsinks may not be in good contact with the CPU, reinstalling the CPU and cooling sytem with a new coat of thermal paste may help.

Yeah, I think this did the trick. Scraped off the old thermal paste and applied some new. Reinstalled CPU & heat sink. Played for an hour, several matches, and it didn't crash my computer.

#20 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:59 AM

View PostOdins Fist, on 06 April 2014 - 12:25 PM, said:

Also have you checked your heat with CPUID Hardware Monitor..?? Are the fans on your video card running and ramping up to compensate for the heat created by higher stress loads.?? You may need to download MSI after-burner and setup a fan profile.
Is your CPU overheating.?? Look into all of these things, so that you can narrow down the issue.

View PostOdins Fist, on 11 April 2014 - 07:01 PM, said:

Sounds like an overheat...

I'm glad you found the problem... Did you get CPUID Hardware monitor and run it..??
What are your current temps..??

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users