Lb10-X Anon

60 replies to this topic

#1 BigFatGator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 265 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:47 PM

LB10-X is well known to be generally inferior to AC10 and mostly an afterthought in competitive game. But... I fracking love playing in a dual LBX JM6-S. They are just flat out fun in mid-late game and on maps where engagement range is <200M. For reasons likely due to my low ELO bracket and general lack of skill, by best K/D ratio is with a 2LBX/4ML Jager.

Anyone else feel the love for this unfortunate and mostly forgotten weapon?

#2 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:59 PM

They're certainly fun! and sometimes those few extra tons can make or break a build, and it isn't that hard to get close enough.

#3 Raso

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:00 PM

I frequently load up an LBX, or two, in some of my builds for the lolz. I know it's "inferior", or whatever, but it's also a fun weapon.

Do I wish it was more competitive or had more of a situational advantage to it over the AC10? Absolutely. But that's never stopped me from dropping with them and it never will.

#4 CMetz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 289 posts
  • LocationCortlandt Manor, NY

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:09 PM

I personally run a bunch of builds with LB10x. Its a ton lighter, and more importantly it generates 1 less heat than an AC10. I find it pairs well with PPC's. Open up some armor, close, and then scatter shot the engine. Its important to realize that you don't need to fully core a mech if you crit its engine 3 times.

#5 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:15 PM

running dual LBX on my DDC with triple SSRMs. Just hold on fire and keep walking forward. No aiming required, just point somewhere in the direction of my enemy. Profit.

#6 Clideb50

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 194 posts
  • LocationMaine, United States

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:28 PM

I run an LBX/AC5 combo on my protector. If I play it right, it tears enemy 'mechs to pieces. As for viable, I find that I have more success with the LBX vs dual AC5 or AC10.

#7 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:40 AM

I've been meaning to run a 2 LBX + 4 MG Jager-DD, but the 1.6 million for those LBXs is earmarked for DHS for my Thunderbolts (and Battlemasters, and Wolverines...)

#8 cSand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:08 AM

I don't get the hate for LBX. It's best used after a bunch of armor has been stripped off. Think of it more like a giant blast of MG rounds. One of my favourite weapons!

Step 1: Strip armor with missles and lasers.

Step 2: Get close, pound LBX (or 2) into opened up wound

Step 3: Enjoy crits and limbs falling off :P

Edited by cSand, 07 April 2014 - 10:18 AM.

#9 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:15 AM

View PostCMetz, on 06 April 2014 - 03:09 PM, said:

Open up some armor, close, and then scatter shot the engine. Its important to realize that you don't need to fully core a mech if you crit its engine 3 times.

Source? Last I heard engine crits were not in the game.

#10 Crotch RockIt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 583 posts
  • Locationchewing his lower lip

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:20 AM

If you love the LBX, then this is the mech for you.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a9a9b9d5f5b6078

(You could also drop the engine to a 255 and add a few backup lasers.)

Step 1: Find a (hopefully already damaged) opponent.
Step 2: Chain fire until the red triangle disappears.
Step 3: Profit!

Edited by Crotch RockIt, 07 April 2014 - 10:20 AM.

#11 P5YCO

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 81 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:27 AM

AC10 - Rifle
LBX10 - Shotgun

#12 Buso Senshi Zelazny

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York, USA

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:38 AM

View PostCMetz, on 06 April 2014 - 03:09 PM, said:

Its important to realize that you don't need to fully core a mech if you crit its engine 3 times.

As far as I know, this is just plain wrong. "Crits" in MWO are not like "crits" in the tabletop. The only time this is true is for XL engines, since you have three engine slots in each side toros, but you still have to destroy the whole torso to destroy the engine. See this link for a full explanation of how crits work in MWO. TL;DR: There are currently no critical hits to the engines, actuators, or gyro of a mech.

That aside, LB10's can definitely be a lot of fun to use, but the role they're intended for doesn't really exist currently in the game. As a crit-seeking weapon, it is supposed to be more likely to destroy the components in unarmored sections than other weapons. But in the current game, it is much more likely that an unarmored component will just be destroyed before any equipment health goes to zero in that component. Sometimes these crit-seekers are useful for setting off ammo explosions or destroying gauss rifles, but that isn't what the crit system is for.

Edited by Buso Senshi Zelazny, 07 April 2014 - 11:01 AM.

#13 Malorish

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:44 AM

View PostBigFatGator, on 06 April 2014 - 02:47 PM, said:

LB10-X is well known to be generally inferior to AC10 and mostly an afterthought in competitive game. But... I fracking love playing in a dual LBX JM6-S. They are just flat out fun in mid-late game and on maps where engagement range is <200M. For reasons likely due to my low ELO bracket and general lack of skill, by best K/D ratio is with a 2LBX/4ML Jager.

None at all. It's inferior to even an AC 5 simply because of the spread. It needs do do way more damage per buckshot, or have a higher crit rate or something.

#14 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:02 AM

View PostMalorish, on 07 April 2014 - 10:44 AM, said:

None at all. It's inferior to even an AC 5 simply because of the spread. It needs do do way more damage per buckshot, or have a higher crit rate or something.

I think the only thing it might be able to use is as you said a very slightly higher crit chance and maybe screen shake based on how many pellets hit, or proximity. (IE you get shotgun blasted right up close, it rocks your ass. A few pellets hit from 500m, you barely notice)

I've been using LBX since closed beta... great success when used like what it is - a shotgun. If you expect to use it like any other weapon though, you're asking for disappointment

Edited by cSand, 07 April 2014 - 11:18 AM.

#15 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:17 PM

Sometimes just fun to use and swapping an AC/10 for one gives you another ton for ammo so you get more shots per match.

#16 The Bionic Platypus

• PipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 37 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, Ohio

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:35 PM

Guilty.

I have ridiculous fun with my Shotgun Spider, which seems to annoy opponents and teammates alike.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9f057143aac3f93

My name is zombie ninja, and I am an LBX addict.

#17 Rhialto

• Philanthropist
  • 2,084 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationQuébec, QC - CANADA

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:01 PM

Love them so much that the 1st Hero Mech I bought is the ILYA to run 3 x LB 10-X! It's still the only Hero I own.

It's not optimal against a fully blinded Assault but usually you should not run alone so with teamworks, once armor is gone you crits on internals and BOOM.

#18 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:15 PM

View PostRhialto, on 07 April 2014 - 01:01 PM, said:

....usually you should not run alone so with teamworks....

Everyone take note of these words!!!!!

#19 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:21 PM

The fun thing is that the balance between the weapons is quite interesting. The AC10 has better pinpoint damage at any range and will instantly destroy any component when it rolls a critical ; if you are lucky you take out three components in one shot. In this regard it does better than the LXB10. At short range the LBX10 does the same damage up close for less heat, space and weight. The spread pattern might help hitting lights... a bit.

But: I'd rather have three AC5s than two AC10s. For the same weight and less slots you get more range, more DPS, less heat, easier to hit targets at range and they work quite well in chain fire (aim for the cockpit and don't stop firing). That would make the AC10 the looser for me but not against the LBX10. When I do get the change to place three ballistics and I could fit the LBX10, I would take three U/AC5s. Double damage when you need it and working as the AC5 when not. The reduced weight compared to the LBX10 means more ammo.

So, the AC10/LBX10 are only interesting when I can only mount two ballistics, meaning I am probably using a few energy weapons and cannot really afford the heat of the AC10 and I choose the LBX10. I think the AC10 is a better weapon but typically looses to other weapons on my builds.

Edited by The Great Unwashed, 07 April 2014 - 01:23 PM.

#20 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:22 PM

View PostBigFatGator, on 06 April 2014 - 02:47 PM, said:

That is my K2 loadout, been that way forever, works pretty well being mobile. Not OP to be sure, but it can work great in the right situation.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users