Game Freezing For 2-3 Seconds.

24 replies to this topic

#1 DivineTomatoes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 307 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:03 AM

As the title says my game freezes seemingly at random for 2-3 seconds and than goes back to normal, in that time my screen freezes and nothing moves on screen but my mech and everyone else is still moving, normally right into someone's line of fire.

Sometimes it happens when I or someone else fires, or when I switch to thermal or night vision or when someone gets hit by fire.

This happens about 4-5 times a game and is starting to get extremely annoying, I've updated my windows and kept my video drivers and all that lot up to date, I've turned all graphics settings to low and while it helps slightly to reduce the frequency it doesn't remove it completely.

My computer is getting on in years but it's still adequate for me it's specs are as follows.

Win 7 64 bit
Intel core I7 @ 2.8ghz
6GB DDR3 Ram
ATI Radeon 5750 1024mb

Can anyone here help me.

#2 Odins Fist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:14 AM

ATI Radeon 5750 1024mb
There's the issue....

http://www.hwcompare...on-hd-5750-1gb/

It's a 5 series ATI card, meaning it's getting old.

http://www.tomshardw...770,2446-5.html

http://www.tomshardw...770,2446-6.html

http://www.tomshardw...770,2446-7.html

Even my old EVGA 260-216 core cards appear to beat this card out in gaming situations, and I would never go back to my EVGA 260-216 core cards for MWO.

Your CPU is at 2.8ghz.. Exactly what i7 do you have (model name please)

Edited by Odins Fist, 08 April 2014 - 09:24 AM.

#3 DivineTomatoes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 307 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:21 AM

The card meets the minimum requirements so I fail to see how this would be a issue.

#4 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:27 AM

View PostReaver2145, on 08 April 2014 - 09:21 AM, said:

minimum

I fail to see how this would be a issue

Meets the MINIMUM, that is the key word here...

In 1992 a stock Chevy S-10 may have met the MINIMUM requirements to compete in a dirt track race, but that doesn't mean it would have really had a chance at competing in said race.

View PostReaver2145, on 08 April 2014 - 08:03 AM, said:

My computer is getting on in years but it's still adequate for me it's specs are as follows.

You have to trust me on this, your Video Card is old enough to make it "Not Great" for MWO..
What settings do you run MWO, for video? (exactly what settings)

EDIT: Download CPUID Hardware Monitor and check you system temps..
If it's not hardware issue then you might want to post again in workarounds/support for issues with the game files, or something of that nature.

Edited by Odins Fist, 08 April 2014 - 12:44 PM.

#5 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:43 PM

Please post back with what you find, it may help someone else with an older rig as well.

Hello..?? Hello..?? No, nothing..??

Edited by Odins Fist, 08 April 2014 - 12:45 PM.

#6 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:29 PM

There are too many variables and not enough information being provided as to what has been done, troubleshooting used, logs, etc.

1. Possible cooling issues/lack of control?
Can of compressed air, blow out all the dust build up on heatsinks.
Are all fans running properly?
Are you using any program to take control of fans? For many default settings means fans ramp up after the fact instead of before heat spikes.

2. Settings, set Nvidia Power Manage to Prefer max power http://nvidia.custhe...mum-performance

3. use of monitoring programs to see what is happening with temps, CPU/GPU, CPU speed, etc.

4. Play in Windowed mode, bring up task manager (or install/load Process Explorer) to see if any programs are popping up. A favorite demon is Windows Media Player Network Sharing. Disable it if it is active. It is usually active by default if Home Sharing is active.
http://www.mydigital...rvice-wmpnetwk/

And that is just the start of it. Again, it can be a number of things.

#7 DivineTomatoes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 307 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:09 PM

View PostOdins Fist, on 08 April 2014 - 12:43 PM, said:

Please post back with what you find, it may help someone else with an older rig as well.

Hello..?? Hello..?? No, nothing..??

I went to the pub, I'm installing cpu-z before work so I'll post back later.

#8 Thorqemada

• 6,365 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:23 AM

Could also be HD related - hot HDs sometimes take a long time to respond and if the game or Windows has an HD Access it may stall the System - also the powersaving could be to aggressive and power down the HDs so they need a few seconds to power up which also stalls the System.

I disabled the powersaving for HDs on my Computer and never had any trouble with stalls again.

Edited by Thorqemada, 09 April 2014 - 07:51 AM.

#9 DivineTomatoes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 307 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:25 AM

Sorry for the late reply, it's been a extremely busy week.

I kept a eye on my gpu temps and they do no exceed 47 degrees C though I'm upgrading my system in a few days so I hope this post is now irrelevant.

Thanks for the replys.

#10 smokefield

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Locationalways on

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:57 PM

it may not be the hardware. i am experiencing somethign similar, at random times (not necessary in heavy load graphics ) the game freezes for a second and i end up looking at something else than initially. I have around 60 fps lowest so its not a hardware issue. I think it is some bug in the game but its hard to reproduce it.

all you can do is to tweak as best as you can the settings hoping that the issue will occur less. for me it happens once in a game at worst..generally once every 3-4 games at average. not really a problem but it happen when i was fighting and wasnt pretty :)

#11 DivineTomatoes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 307 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:33 PM

Okay I upgraded my GPU to a sapphite R9 290X which should be well within the minimum specs and I also added 2gb of RAM to take my total up to 8GB and you know what it did, absolutely nothing, the game is still freezing for a few seconds every game.

Now that people an't whine about my GPU does anyone else have any suggestions.

#12 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:06 PM

2.8 ghz CPU isn't helping you either... Whine about your GPU..?? Listen your GPU you upgraded from was for a lack of a better term, JUNK... Oh, did you ever run the MWO repair tool..?? Anything below 3.4 ghz CPU struggles in MWO, i'm not saying get a new CPU, not by a long shot, but I asked you about that as well. YOu never listed your full specs, so what are you mad about again? More RAM isn't gonna help unless it's faster MHZ, do you run 1333mhz RAM or something. You didn't reply back for a long time, maybe we could have helped you bump you CPU a few hundred MHZ clock wise to help, but this thread went silent.

#13 smokefield

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Locationalways on

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:42 PM

try to use the vsync option and see how it is going.

#14 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ont.

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:23 AM

have you checked the power settings for your network adapter and other hardware? their was a Microsoft update that changed the settings to power saving mode. it did some wonky stuff to my wife's laptop. Go in to Device manager, Right click on your network adapter, select properties, go to power management tab, and turn off "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". also check all of the settings for your other hardware ie graph card. The power settings have fixed a few different problems. good old Microsoft strikes again. :)

#15 DivineTomatoes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 307 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:39 PM

View PostOdins Fist, on 13 May 2014 - 05:06 PM, said:

2.8 ghz CPU isn't helping you either... Whine about your GPU..?? Listen your GPU you upgraded from was for a lack of a better term, JUNK... Oh, did you ever run the MWO repair tool..?? Anything below 3.4 ghz CPU struggles in MWO, i'm not saying get a new CPU, not by a long shot, but I asked you about that as well. YOu never listed your full specs, so what are you mad about again? More RAM isn't gonna help unless it's faster MHZ, do you run 1333mhz RAM or something. You didn't reply back for a long time, maybe we could have helped you bump you CPU a few hundred MHZ clock wise to help, but this thread went silent.

That junk has played every other game thrown at it just fine sure I might have to drop a few graphics settings down but I don't get random stuttering, but honestly I don't care any more I'm not going to give up on this game but now war thunder ground forces is out in close beta I'm devoting my free time to that which is running extremely smoothly on my junk.

#16 Metalcell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 104 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:57 PM

I have almost the same type of issue but instead of the game returning to normal after 2-3 seconds later it stays frozen until I Alt+Tab out and come back in this happens to me now and then.

my rig
win 7 64bit
intel i7 3820
16GB ddr3 ram
Gigabyte gtx 760 winforce

#17 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:31 PM

My system is well above minimum specs for this game, and even I've been experiencing these "hickups". It's only been since they tried to add in the 3/3/3/3 patch for some reason. I've just been taking it in stride for now, but it's been the cause of several deaths. Freeze (I can still move, but everyone else "runs in place" ). Unfreeze. My torso is now breached and I didn't get to see anything. I try to hide... Freeze. Unfreeze. I am dead because I wasn't able to reverse before it froze, so I unfroze even farther into enemy gun lines...

I've also typically noticed it's happened when I try to shoot my weapons. I've had some games where almost every time I tried to shoot I froze for but a brief moment. Other times, no problems. It's been completely random when it happens, and what "seems to trigger it".

(I've also been having some "slow internet problems" since someone hit a phone poll outside my apartment. So I was figuring it was that, but when someone else mentions the same exact symptoms...)

#18 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:03 PM

View PostReaver2145, on 14 May 2014 - 06:39 PM, said:

That junk has played every other game thrown at it just fine sure I might have to drop a few graphics settings down but I don't get random stuttering, but honestly I don't care any more I'm not going to give up on this game but now war thunder ground forces is out in close beta I'm devoting my free time to that which is running extremely smoothly on my junk.

You're GPU is dated.. Just the reality of the situation and until I get the rest of the cash together i'm replacing my GTX 560 ti. It's more then a couple years old, and here's the comparison................................ http://www.hwcompare...on-hd-5750-1gb/ I stand behind the original statement on that 5750. I hope you didn't take too much offense, but this thread went silent, and then you came back and got pretty mad about the current reality of your GPU. It was first released in 2009 and only has a 128 bit interface.. Enough said, regardless of how much VRam the card has. Meeting Minimum rquirements gets you minimum performance... Good Luck.

Edited by Odins Fist, 16 May 2014 - 03:11 PM.

#19 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:05 PM

View PostOdins Fist, on 16 May 2014 - 03:03 PM, said:

You're GPU is dated.. Just the reality of the situation and until I get the rest of the cash together i'm replacing my GTX 560 ti. It's more then a couple years old, and here's the comparison................................ http://www.hwcompare...on-hd-5750-1gb/ I stand behind the original statement on that 5750. I hope you didn't take too much offense, but this thread went silent, and then you came back and got pretty mad about the current reality of your GPU. It was first released in 2009 and only has a 128 bit interface.. Enough said, regardless of how much VRam the card has. Meeting Minimum rquirements gets you minimum performance... Good Luck.

Problem with your statement... I too also have the same problem. I've got a new Videocard (Radeon 6770) and my processor is larger than needed (3.70 Ghz), as well as I have more RAM than needed (8 G Ram). I have my settings for the game at near minimum (with a couple bumped up) to try and keep my video card cool (poor case design overheats my video card if I have the side panel on, I leave it off for the moment) but I could bump my settings up if I wished. My computer can handle it, as I had it up high (and had problems till I realized what was causing them) at one point.

I have also been experiencing the same issues as the OP here. I've been having the intermittent issue since they first tried to introduce 3/3/3/3. I thought it was my internet connection going wonky till I read the OPs post. Our symptoms are the same. I suspect that it is not a video or processing problem on his end at this point.

EDIT: He has also been a member since 2012 on the forums (when he first logged onto the forums). I'd have to also farther conclude that his computer has been able to handle the game so far until recently...

EDITEDIT: I'd like to also mention that my old dual core AMD 2.5 ghz processor computer ran MWO fine with the same video card I mentioned above. Everything but details was set to lowest settings, but it ran it fine with no problems.

Reading over your previous posts (which I had not done), you are not sounding overly helpful and rather pushy in this thread... :( I do not blame the OP if he got upset at you, especially when I look at your edits to your comments above... :)

Edited by Tesunie, 16 May 2014 - 04:15 PM.

#20 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:38 PM

View PostTesunie, on 16 May 2014 - 04:05 PM, said:

Problem with your statement... I too also have the same problem. I've got a new Videocard (Radeon 6770) and my processor is larger than needed (3.70 Ghz),

Ok well i'm Member Since 04 Jun 2012, so does that help? I don't think it has much bearing, I have been here since closed beta as well, so MOOT point. EXACT systems specs please.. My system is Phenom II x6 1100t at 4.27ghz and a 560 ti, and I have zero issues. You as well have a dated GPU with only 128 bit memory interface. You are almost in the same boat as the OP for a GPU ......... http://www.hwcompare...on-hd-6770-1gb/ Your Video Card/GPU isn't new by a long shot. Did you bother to run the MWO repair tool? Did you bother to look into things like ambient occlusion, or other settings that could bog you down..?? I still stand behind the statement that a budget GPU will perform like a budget GPU. You need to back up CHIEF, I have run my own Computer Repair and Networking company since 2007/08, I deal with things most of the "I want to push the button and make it go" crowd can't handle, if I sound "pushy" as you say, then that is your own fault and or perception. Just because you have what YOU think is a new GPU, and what YOU think is enough RAM isn't relevant, it's what kind, what timings, and what MHZ that will dictate this.. You do know that AMD CPUs still love low timings, and that most intel CPUs can run much higher MHZ RAM right..?? Oh this will be good, grab your popcorn people.

Edited by Odins Fist, 16 May 2014 - 04:43 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users