Competitive Meta: Request

5 replies to this topic

#1 TheAlphaMonster

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationLA County

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:54 AM

What is it? What are the loadouts? Why do they work?

Any competitive players want to give noobies like me insight?

It's very vague, but I just want insight on the competitive side of this game. Sure playing normals with pugs is fun, but I do wanna try my hand at competitive MWO, if it exists.

So what are some Meta Loadouts floating around? ac40 Jagerbombs? ECM Spider with Large lasers? JJ Everything?

I, more or less, want a competitive guide, starting with meta loadouts. Eventually maps and team tactics come in, but if I don't got the gear, it won't really matter much.

I also love that this game can allow you to be creative, so I'm sure there are several cheese/niche builds out there, and I fully accept those as well but try to keep them as competitively viable as possible instead full on cheese. Even though said cheese is "competitive" cause it;s cheese.

#2 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:59 AM

View PostTheAlphaMonster, on 08 April 2014 - 09:54 AM, said:

What is it? What are the loadouts? Why do they work?

Any competitive players want to give noobies like me insight?

It's very vague, but I just want insight on the competitive side of this game. Sure playing normals with pugs is fun, but I do wanna try my hand at competitive MWO, if it exists.

So what are some Meta Loadouts floating around? ac40 Jagerbombs? ECM Spider with Large lasers? JJ Everything?

I, more or less, want a competitive guide, starting with meta loadouts. Eventually maps and team tactics come in, but if I don't got the gear, it won't really matter much.

I also love that this game can allow you to be creative, so I'm sure there are several cheese/niche builds out there, and I fully accept those as well but try to keep them as competitively viable as possible instead full on cheese. Even though said cheese is "competitive" cause it;s cheese.

Look for mechs with jump jets that can mount two PPCs and 2 AC5s or UAC5s or one of each. See Highlander, Victor, and Cataphract CTF-3D. That is a strong meta because it gives you a 30 point alpha strike, and combines low heat ammo based weapons with higher heat energy projectiles, and jump jets help give you shots that you would not normally have.

AC40 Jagers doesn't seem fun to me, although I've never used it. Also seems too vulnerable at long range. Dual gauss jager though...

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 08 April 2014 - 10:00 AM.

#3 TheAlphaMonster

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationLA County

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:09 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 08 April 2014 - 09:59 AM, said:

Look for mechs with jump jets that can mount two PPCs and 2 AC5s or UAC5s or one of each. See Highlander, Victor, and Cataphract CTF-3D. That is a strong meta because it gives you a 30 point alpha strike, and combines low heat ammo based weapons with higher heat energy projectiles, and jump jets help give you shots that you would not normally have.

AC40 Jagers doesn't seem fun to me, although I've never used it. Also seems too vulnerable at long range. Dual gauss jager though...

1.2m c-bills + Gauss Ammo c-bills.
Maybe after I get my Jm6-DD ;~;
But I've heard mixed feelings about Dual Gauss atm. Are they underpowered? Still overpowered? Fun?

#4 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:27 AM

http://mwomercs.com/...e-12vs12-scene/
Has some good links for such info.

Jenner-F
Shadowhawk-2D2
Cataphract-3D
Victors
HGN-733C

Use JJ's, medium lasers, AC5's, Ultra AC5's, AC20's, and PPC's.

This is widely considered the meta, but there are always some exceptions.

#5 LoPanShui

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 456 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:53 AM

People don't like gauss right now because of the charge. A dual gauss anything is honestly terrifying on the battlefield, but the .75 second charge up speed lowers its on target DPS and makes it kind of annoying to shoot with. It requires an extra step to be effective, which is not the Meta. The meta revolves around three key words.

Simple: Is it a one click kill?
Reliable: Will it do the same thing every time?
Safe: Can you do this without much fear of reprisal?

If it's not at least two of these three things then it's never going to be Meta.

#6 N E R E V A R

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 111 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:49 PM

It's all about minimizing damage to yourself while having high pinpoint alpha damage for quick kills, that's why the current meta mech is the Victor Dragon Slayer with 2ppcs and 2ac5s.

Having all the weapons on the right means less exposure needed to fire while also having pinpoint convergence. A lot of us also play with armlock on so as to ensure all shots hit the component we aim for. We usually aim for side torsos as it's usually an xl kill or strips most of the weapons, but there are always exceptions.

Jump jets are a dominant part in the playstyle as it allows us expose ourselves over cover for a a split second while we fire off the 30 point alpha and fall back into cover right after that. Jumps are usually diagonal with an erratic pattern so as to minimize damage taken. Also, you should only be in the air for as short as possible, once again to minimize damage taken.

One more tip is to always use your shield arm when taking fire.

So in conclusion, the idea behind playing the meta is simple, Do a lot more damage than you take and always shoot with the intention to kill. Unless you want damage to farm.

Also load up on arty, air and coolant.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users