#1 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:09 PM

Really, surprised this has not come up.
Last couple of patches brought these:

Turrets in cocoon mode will now have a damage reduction value of 85% instead of 99%.
Turret Health is 100 (was 150)

Nice but since the change, I played one Assault on River City Night and now leave Assault unchecked. River City, especially Night, is STILL a sniperfest, not because of PPCs & ACs with Berry flavored Pop-tarts. No, it is because a small map gets the most number of turrets, 7 per side. Really? I feel just like this.
Posted Image
No one wants to push into the turret area, including the fact at least 1 if not more are LRM turrets. While weaker in health, they get the missile speed benefit and no one knows how big the launcher is.
So a sniping war with occasional LRM fire happens in the C and D rows. One team is clustered around the water end of the Central City in D3 while the other is in the park area in D4. Maybe you have 1-2 near the water edge of C2 and C4 under partial cover looking for targets and watching for flanking especially from the B row. Rarely, you may get some daring soul who will try moving into the enemy, sadly they are all concentrated on and this loner gets mowed down quickly. You may also get some brave lad who ventures across the B row, but the enemy team sees him and he too dies under concentrated fire from enemy units under cover.
There are faults with the other maps, however seeing the turret number has not changed, I unchecked Assault sticking only to the other 2 match types. Apparently a number of Assault games must generate because now it takes longer to find a match.
So with most games appearing to be Assault and the turret number not changed, this affects playing.
Anyone else?
Posted Image

#2 Grendel408

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:27 PM

They could reduce the number of turrets by 2 on smaller maps like River City and it could improve the tactical side of gameplay. What I find happening most on River City (day/night) is either team has a standoff and do what they can sniping and using LRMs. There's a way to counter the turrets and enemy placement even on small maps from either side/team. It's a matter of coordination, which is tricky given we still don't have VOIP and have to rely on text comms or being partially in communication (multi-group teams spread between different voice servers like TS or Mumble). But it can be done... you just need to find a tactic/strategy that works, which usually involves splitting up your team for an offensive/defensive push.

#3 NecessaryWeevil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 116 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:48 PM

Patch feedback? Okay. These turrets feel like a continuing attempt by PGI to remove capping as a viable strategy. Since that was the primary domain of lights, this basically reduces lights to glass-cannon snipers or glass-cannon anklebiters. These turrets thereby discourage role warfare, which I thought was one of the conrnerstones of MWO. If PGI wants to make MWO all about slugfests, why on earth would we bother to take lights when we could take something with more survivability and hitting power?

#4 Grendel408

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:21 AM

Actually... Lights can get away with capping still. You just gotta be smart as hell to do it, and it would also help if the turrets recognized the effects of ECM. I don't recall this issue being fixed or not.

#5 NecessaryWeevil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:34 AM

Well, I know I was taking a lot of turret fire in my SDR-5D last time I played Alpine Peaks Assault, and I didn't see any TAGs...

#6 jackal40

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 180 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:01 AM

I no longer consider Assault to be a playable game mode. Frankly, I'd prefer to see the turrets disappear all together.

#7 Blue Drache

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 139 posts
  • LocationSkei's Haven, Krynn

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:43 PM

My complaint is that Turrets wallhack and they ignore ECMs.

Turrets should be under the same penalties and restrictions that players are under.

Edited by Blue Drache, 12 April 2014 - 02:45 PM.

#8 draiocht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:35 PM

Possibly odd turret behavior over a few matches on Crimson Strait. Last player on a team backs up to the turrets for defense, but the turrets apparently stay cocooned when the enemy charges through and picks that last player to destruction. Either base.

I wouldn't know if this is natural behavior due to line of sight duration while mechs run between buildings or something..? There were a few confused players, but it isn't reasonably testable during play.

#9 FlipOver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:56 PM

Turrets are not the problem, although it should be done something regarding the ECM detection made by turrets.

The real problem lies on very short maps.
I mean, maps like River City, Frozen City, Caustic Valley and Forest Colony should just be removed from the game and added their larger versions or just new maps to replace them.

This could also be good for the game as some of those maps are notoriously flawed (seeing shadows on water when the enemy is behind a structure, that's just one example of the poor quality of the maps), so replacing them with new ones, even if it were larger version of the old ones, would most probably do more good than bad to the game.

#10 Mike McSullivan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 556 posts
  • LocationHannover, Germany

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:51 AM

Esp. on River City the Spawnpoints of the teams should become the old ones (Harbor/Dropship), so the groups have more space to fight each other (even if the old strategys are old ^^).
And reduce the numer to 4 (2Laser, 2 LRM)

#11 RowanE83

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:57 AM

I hate the turrets.

They are stupid and add nothing. Infact, they ruin assault mode.

I like them as a concept, if that concept is to deter lone mechs from trolling the base without penalty. However I believe a determined lone light should still have that option, (at least on small maps) if its willing to sacrifice most of its armour.

Two major issues with them:

1. There is no need for a long range turret - at all. They should be removed. Replace with a LL turret if you really must.

2. There is no need to have SO MANY turrets on every map.

-The power & number of turrets should scale based on map size. River city should have two at the most. Perhaps Alpine peaks could retain its current allotment.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users