The Meta Builds Just Not Work For Anyone Else?

23 replies to this topic

#21 Commander Binz

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationNZ - Lagshield Heaven

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:17 PM

I think the problem you have is that you think "FOTM Meta" builds are automatically "good".

The Meta is what you get after you have exhausted all possibilities, become an expert shot with all weapons, and come to the conclusion that AC5 + PPC is the best for damage/tonnage/heat/ammo/range/convergence.

This is why its the Meta, because its the general consensus of the players with the most game time.

It does NOT, however, mean that all other weapons, mechs or strategies are useless, they are just *considered* slightly worse overall than the current AC5+PPC+JJ min maxed build. Personally I do great in a 2 ERLL LPL AC20 Misery, and do better in that than my Highlander.

Final advice: Play the game for fun, not what you think you "should" be driving.

#22 ThatBum42

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 220 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:35 AM

Meta/cheese builds tend to fail a lot actually, but when they work, boy howdy do they work. In other words, they're very situational. A lot have all the weapons with a similar range profile n' stuff. Your team has to work with and support your specific ability for you to be effective. So, pugging with them is a gamble, and they're definitely not for everyone.

For example, if you organize a flank to a poptart nest, he's pretty much done for. They tend to trash their legs from all the jumping too. If you're fast or you have other friendlies with you for distraction, you can evade an AC/40 Jager. Encounter a 3x Gauss Illa? Glass cannon. Etc, etc. Everything has a counter if you play smart. Well, as long as the opposing team isn't filled with cheese.

Lol. Just thought of a new exclamation. "That team has more cheese than Wisconsin!"

Edited by ThatBum42, 17 April 2014 - 02:40 AM.

#23 Macbrea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 270 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:48 AM

Here is the deal with the current 2PPC + 1AC5 that most people miss. The standard armor on a location is a multiple of 20. If you max your armor it will probably be some multiple of that number.

2PPC + 1AC5 = 21 damage to one location on a snap hit were you can torso twist after firing the shot. This means you can shield your front of your mech with your arms while putting down slightly more to a location at a good range. That is why that is meta right now.

Target location, Fire, Torso twist..... rinse, repeat.

If a person practice that maneuver and gets good at it, They will survive much longer then someone that stands there and blasts away with Lasers. Which take time to get their damage on target.

#24 Clogsman

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:13 AM

I like brawling pulse lasers too much to ever make a current meta build. ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users