Last Hurrah For The Steiner Scout Lance?

26 replies to this topic

#21 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:48 PM

Just use a Commando for your fourth! They look related - I'm sure no one will notice.

P.S. "Atlai" is not a word, because "Atlas" isn't spelled like "cactus."

#22 William Slayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 375 posts
  • LocationSchools out at the Coventry Academy...

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:59 PM

View PostPeiper, on 13 April 2014 - 06:27 PM, said:

There was a time.... back in closed Beta days. When we would run 8 Atlases, or 8 Jenners. Granted, we only had 4 or 5 mechs to choose from. But other than the Sarah Jenner event, I've seen nothing like it since. I do have fond memories...

That right there is the WHOLE point. :( Good Times.

Ran with Three Atlai today! Win!

#23 SpiralFace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:22 AM

View PostWilliam Slayer, on 11 April 2014 - 05:19 AM, said:

Very true, but what i'd love to do is play to the stereotype. Great stories often come from just such ridiculousness!

Besides, my Butler cannot fit into a commando...:-P

So your going to play the stereo type of a terrible warrior undeserving of a prirate band much more a house military that makes poor tactical decisions with the leadership of a limp sausage? Because thats what the in-universe sterotype is. Steiner's power is seen to come from their wallets, not their actual abilities. Because they are pretty much known for having historically "meah" mechwarriors, terrible tactics, and poor vehicle designs up until the Davion alliance. (Seriously, cannon Zeus' Atlas', and Banshee's are all terrible designs compared to others out there.)

Because otherwise, it just sounds like you are trying to find an excuse to spam assaults and call it "cannon."

#24 William Slayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 375 posts
  • LocationSchools out at the Coventry Academy...

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:39 PM

View PostSpiralFace, on 20 April 2014 - 09:22 AM, said:

So your going to play the stereo type of a terrible warrior undeserving of a prirate band much more a house military that makes poor tactical decisions with the leadership of a limp sausage? Because thats what the in-universe sterotype is. Steiner's power is seen to come from their wallets, not their actual abilities. Because they are pretty much known for having historically "meah" mechwarriors, terrible tactics, and poor vehicle designs up until the Davion alliance. (Seriously, cannon Zeus' Atlas', and Banshee's are all terrible designs compared to others out there.)

Because otherwise, it just sounds like you are trying to find an excuse to spam assaults and call it "cannon."

Sorry, can't quite hear all of that with all these C-Bills coming out of my ears! :) IRL - I work at a company where throwing money at a problem is a strategy used by lots of my customers, so the "Steiner method" is one I see played out on a close to daily basis. On a serious note Spiral, I want everyone to enjoy the game, and having a guy like me around lets everyone else feel a bit more like a sane person (Whew, at least I'm not like that William guy!)

#25 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:52 AM

The demise of the Lyran Comon Wealth Scout lance has been very much exaggerated

#26 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:01 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 13 April 2014 - 08:48 PM, said:

Just use a Commando for your fourth! They look related - I'm sure no one will notice.

P.S. "Atlai" is not a word, because "Atlas" isn't spelled like "cactus."

Atlai is a proper noun so yes its a word.

The plural of Atlas is Atlantean.

yes I looked it up as I got tired of the bickering about is it Atlases or Atlai.

Atlai sounds far better, but its wrong.

Edited by Cathy, 12 June 2014 - 06:02 AM.

#27 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:34 AM

Actually, not; "Atlai" is still wrong, but the plural of "Atlas" is not "Atlantean." Atlantean is an adjective, referring to Atlas, Atlas-like strength, or the island of Atlantis. The odd difference in spelling is due to the Greek grammar from which the word is derived. I believe you're thinking of "atlantes," which is an archaic plural for a set of maps - exactly 5 atlases. It can also be used regarding architecture, as "Atlas" is also the Greek term for a support column carved in the form of a man - identical to the Roman "telamon."

However, the use of any plural for "atlas," lower-case, is incorrect. The Battlemech is not named after a map collection; rather, both the maps and the 'Mech are named after the same figure - Atlas, the Titan of Greek mythology whose strength upholds the sky (the whole "holding up the world" thing is a later embellishment, but the difference is academic.) As a proper noun in its own right, ending in s, the proper pluralization is to add "es" to it - thus, "Atlases."

I refer you to the Random House Dictionary, via Dictionary.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users