Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:30 AM

View PostTheRealPope478, on 16 April 2014 - 12:54 AM, said:

I think the art for this mech is fine, all MW games give there own version of the mechs. My main concern is that this mech will be very easy to pinpoint where ever you want to hit it. First off it seems to have the same big CT that a catapult has from head on, and since no single side torso kill from the clan xl, I'll aim CT unless something else is about to pop off already. BUT if it is already damaged those BIG missile boxes count as a SIDE torso even though the art makes it look like part of the arm. In essence it seems to share both the weakness of the catapult AND the hunchback.

The main thing that saves a catapult is its tiny side torsos to protect IS xl engines. Even though a clan mech isn't destroyed by a side torso loss it still cuts its firepower in 1/2, just like a stalker. And I have been reduced to a walking stick in my stalker plenty of times. Also there is the very real possibility of a huge heat penalty for the loss of a side torso with clan xl. It would be realistic and a great game balancer for the clan mechs.

The only way to save this mech design in my opinion would be to have the missle boxes be a separate hit location. That would of course make the game unfair as it would basically give the timberwolf 4 arm locations for hit detection.

Actually the CT is definitely too short, for sure less than it was in every past artwork..

#122 TibsVT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 421 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationIronhold (Sydney, Australia)

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:19 PM

I honestly think there is a rather simple solution for people who really don't like it.

Don't use it.

Does the sight of it still bother you alike a bad rash?

Stop playing MWO and complaining that the Mech doesn't look like you want it to.

Better yet -- Go make your own MechWarrior game!

I think there's a fine line to be drawn between criticism that is constructive and useful and the woeful moaning that some of you are carrying on with.

Edited by KelesK, 20 April 2014 - 12:30 PM.

#123 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:32 PM

Stop Necro'ing this thread.

#124 TibsVT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 421 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:52 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 20 April 2014 - 12:32 PM, said:

Stop Necro'ing this thread.

Four days is hardly "necro'ing". But thank you for bringing what I'd wager is the most important perspective of any in this thread to the forefront. You really hit the 'Timber Wolf discussion' nail on the head.

#125 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 April 2014 - 01:03 PM

View PostKelesK, on 20 April 2014 - 12:52 PM, said:

Four days is hardly "necro'ing". But thank you for bringing what I'd wager is the most important perspective of any in this thread to the forefront. You really hit the 'Timber Wolf discussion' nail on the head.

It's all been said at least 50,000 times now.

Some people dislike it because it's too chunky,

Other people like it because it's chunky,

Back and forth rehashed statements and people thinking only new young'uns like the model and the old school vets would never like it. While in fact both camps are filled by both kinds of new and old people.

Honestly, the discussion really ended 2 days after the pictures (and the follow up not-from-a-stupid-angle pictures) were released.

#126 TibsVT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 421 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 01:08 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 20 April 2014 - 01:03 PM, said:

It's all been said at least 50,000 times now.

Some people dislike it because it's too chunky,

Other people like it because it's chunky,

Back and forth rehashed statements and people thinking only new young'uns like the model and the old school vets would never like it. While in fact both camps are filled by both kinds of new and old people.

Honestly, the discussion really ended 2 days after the pictures (and the follow up not-from-a-stupid-angle pictures) were released.

Well then excuse all of us who have been back and forth about it. I wasn't aware we all needed your approval. By your leave I shall let the thread die.

#127 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 April 2014 - 01:11 PM

View PostKelesK, on 20 April 2014 - 01:08 PM, said:

Well then excuse all of us who have been back and forth about it. I wasn't aware we all needed your approval. By your leave I shall let the thread die.

Hey if you have something new to add, that is constructive and not just "either play or leave" then go ahead, post away, posty.

#128 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:42 PM

The more you look, the more you can blame it on the camera perspective.

#129 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:45 PM

View PostCHH Badkarma, on 10 April 2014 - 01:51 PM, said:

I think it needs adjustment. Way to leggy and way to blocky.

It needs to be redone from sketch. It's a completely different mech of the (excellent) concept art.

(that's not the mech I payed for)

#130 Ansgar Odinson

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 77 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:16 PM

Agreed, I was expecting something much cooler and I regret paying for it.

#131 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:03 AM

View PostDavidHurricane, on 21 April 2014 - 03:42 PM, said:

The more you look, the more you can blame it on the camera perspective.

True, but the torso and the MW4-like legs cannot fool you with bad perspective..

#132 LiGhtningFF13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:20 AM

... what a susprise really! I would be blown away if someone would spot Community Warfare. So keep on spotting guys!

#133 CCC Dober

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:00 AM

Let's face it, the Timberwolf is supposed to be one hell of a sexy beast. A curvaceous, sexy killing machine.

While I can live with a more compact torso (because the hitboxes would kill it otherwise), the legs are simply "not there". If you look at the joints and proportions of the original, it's complicated, it's busy, sleeker and makes the whole Mech look like it's ready to pounce on you. All of that "magic" is missing and I'm fairly sure it's not a tall order to fix it for good.

Sexy legs please?

Edited by CCC Dober, 22 April 2014 - 03:01 AM.

#134 CMetz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 289 posts
  • LocationCortlandt Manor, NY

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:22 AM

Hmmm... well, I have to say that I'm most intrigued by the responses here.

I would say I am DEFINITELY in the camp of old-school tabletop/MW vet here.

1000's of tabletop games played, and I still have a copy of MW/CHI/CHR on floppy disk. (If you don't know the initials, you just haven't been playing as long as me :()

My opinion (not that it matters any more than anyone else's): I definitely like the new redesign. If the legs were slimmed just a TINY bit and the rear knee spike made a touch bigger I would say its perfect. There are just some clan mechs that I never liked the look of. The original Timberwolf looked like something that would get utterly destroyed by a Warhammer. Spindly arms, weak legs, and the phallic CT sticking out of a block that held on the missile boxes... In reality the WHM was the ultimate paper tiger and the T-Wolf was a monster. This new T-wolf looks strong and threatening. It looks like something that would actually be bristling with heavy weaponry. More importantly it looks like it would actually be worth its weight in a close quarters battle. A large, bulbous nose does not a brawler make.

#135 Gat

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:55 PM

Ha, they did make some tweaks to the Timber Wolf. Look closely at the lower legs they added the round contours. Also, you can tell they were put on top of the original geomitry for the model. Maybe this is just the difference between the Unique Prime Preorder geomitry and the other versions. I don't know if it is the perspective or if they did some other tweaks but the toes also look less stumpy. I could live with this as the Timber Wolf model.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Gat, 24 April 2014 - 05:57 PM.

#136 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:04 PM

It's mostly the angle, I honestly don't see much difference, the little there is I think might be the angle and the motion of the mech, combined with the weird camo in the first picture. The toes look the same to me, and the lower legs might be different, but again, could just as easily been the camo and movement that made them look different. Well, we'll find out in June.

#137 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:10 PM

The gold mech is using the preorder skin's model. Remember, the Pre-order Prime configurations have unique geometry.

#138 Gat

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:22 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 24 April 2014 - 06:10 PM, said:

The gold mech is using the preorder skin's model. Remember, the Pre-order Prime configurations have unique geometry.

If the rounded lower legs are the Preorder only geomitry that really sucks and is a bad decision on PGI's part.

#139 GalaxyBluestar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:38 PM

View PostGat, on 24 April 2014 - 07:22 PM, said:

If the rounded lower legs are the Preorder only geomitry that really sucks and is a bad decision on PGI's part.

it was a marketing decision.

all the "unique geometry" mechs are actually closer to tro art adaptions as opposed to the MWO lego mentality. just look at the uller rounded torso match for the package prime, the original crotch for a summoner and the rounded legs for the direwolf/warhawk as well.

basically they decided, old BT fans with money, that's what we're after, givem the details they want... only if they payfor it. ;)

#140 Praehotec8

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 851 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:22 PM

Unfortunately no single vision of the Timberwolf (or any other mech) will please everyone. There are both those who are pleased with MWOs interpretation, and those who feel it is poorly done. That is how art works.... I for one, feel the current mech is not perfect, and could be a hair thinner along the limbs with a slightly elongated torso, but think it overall looks much better than older renders.

Perhaps more important is how the model's design an hitboxes influence the playability of the mech. I guarantee people will LOVE those huge arms if they make the timberwolf the most durable heavy available when combined with a compact CT, and clan XLs.

Saying that you would rather it be less effective with more "aesthetically pleasing" proportions is in many cases hypocritical. See the awesome and dragon for an example of how "good-looking" mechs have been treated. If the timberwolf was like that, everyone would run them for a week, then exactly two die-hard fans would pilot the mech, and there would be 9,345,043 forum threads lamenting the awful design, how PGI should fix it, and how many people will quit/demand refunds.

Basically, if these relatively minor changes to the mech make it a viable option in the game, then It is absolutely worth it. (IMO, it seems that the modelers have learned from mistakes like the awesome, and successes like the shadowhawk.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users