- - - - -

Very First Hero Mech- Recommendations

38 replies to this topic

#1 Azkeel

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:37 AM

I'm pretty new to MWO, I've been playing for around a week and loving it so far. I managed to grind all basic skills on my Shadow Hawks and now I'm working on elites. I'm also trying different builds to find one that suits me the most.

I'm going to buy MC's tomorrow and purchase some mech bays while they are on sale. I'm tempted to buy my first hero mech as well, especially since so many of them are 50% off. The question is: which one ?

I'm looking for a good money maker that would help new player like me to get decent c-bills to buy new mechs and equipment. Something that would be competitive and not-so-hard to master.
I only played 3 variants of Shadow Hawks and current trial mechs so far. I don't like LRM missile boats, but other than that, I'm open to your suggestions.

Which hero mech would you recommend for a newbie ? Would any of those discounted mechs suit my needs ?

Thanks in advance ;)

Edited by Azkeel, 13 April 2014 - 08:38 AM.

#2 EgoSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:44 AM

Most will say the Ilya Muromets is the best overall hero, it goes on sale the 20th. The Muromets is a solid platform and one of the best heavies in the game. In addition, the Cataphract chassis has other good variants so it makes for a good platform to master.

The Heavy Metal is also mostly well regarded that goes on sale today (13th).
Here are a couple good links about overall mech ratings, including the Heros (last update Nov 2013):
http://mwomercs.com/...mech-tier-list/

And this one (last update - Sept 2013)
http://mwomercs.com/...w-of-all-mechs/

How you want to play is going to be the main factor in what is the "best" for you, as they will have different play styles than your Shadow Hawks. Few of them in the sale have Jump Jets only the Heavy Metal and the Jester I believe.

Edited by EgoSlayer, 13 April 2014 - 09:17 AM.

#3 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:47 AM

Ilya or Heavy Metal.

The ILya will be more like your Shadowhawks. The Heavy Metal is a lot less agile.

Misery tanks well ... but handles like a tank, too.

Firebrand is versatile, but requires a bit more skilled pilot to get good results.

Edited by Appogee, 13 April 2014 - 08:50 AM.

#4 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:47 AM

I would go for a variant of an otherwise useful chassis: Heavy Metal, Misery, Dragon Slayer, or Ilya. All four can carry hard.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:52 AM

If you're getting the MC tomorrow, this may limit some of your options.
Posted Image
(Vids assuming the links still work after copy/pasting).
Apr 11 The Boar's Head AS7-BH
Apr 12 Yen-Lo-Wang CN9-YLW
Apr 13 Heavy Metal HGN-HM
Apr 14 Fang DRG-FANG
Apr 15 Grid Iron HBK-GI
Apr 16 Jester CPLT-J
Apr 17 Golden Boy KTO-GB
Apr 18 Pretty Baby AWS-PB
Apr 19 Misery STK-M
Apr 20 Ilya Muromets CTF-IM
Apr 21 Protector ON1-P

So the Boar's Head through the Fang won't be available to you for sale tomorrow. (Fang isn't much, Wang is cheap anyway, Boar's Head isn't a good idea for new players but it's a solid mech. I freaking love my Heavy Metal!!!!)

That said... I don't have a Jester, but I have every other one on this list. Golden Boy is fairly solid if you're a missile person. It's pretty similar to other Kintaros though so not terribly unique. Avoid the Pretty Baby, it's far from new player friendly.

Of these, the most new player friendly ones are the Muromets, the Protector, the Misery, Golden Boy, and aside from the XL engine that most Catapults seem to 'need', the Jester should be a solid and simple platform. Of them the Misery can take the most abuse but its also the slowest. The Protector is tall, but it's basically a skinny Atlas with less armor and the same hardpoints as the Misery.

Misery, Protector run great with standard engines as do their fellow variants (Stalkers and Orions). Golden Boy and Muromets and Jester can all skirt by with standard engines, but their fellow variants will eventually require XL engines.
(XL engine means "Extra Light," which comes with additional fragility. The weight savings allows you to carry lots of stuff though).

(Edit: Don't know if that is sale starts those days or ends those days.... Can someone clarify?)

Edited by Koniving, 13 April 2014 - 08:54 AM.

#6 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Илья Муромец. Unless you're really REALLY into mediums, in which case the YenLoWang is useful.

But no. Ilya Muromets. The other CTF chassis out there will be rewarding to learn alongside the fabled Slavic hero, especially the CTF-3D. Lotsa dakka. Go forth, be fruitful, and multiply (PGI's and IGP's profits)...

#7 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

View PostModo44, on 13 April 2014 - 08:47 AM, said:

I would go for a variant of an otherwise useful chassis: Heavy Metal, Misery, Dragon Slayer, or Ilya. All four can carry hard.

Dragon Slayer and Victors are now too nerfed to be recommendable to a new player. (Previously it was my favourite Mech.)

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:53 AM

Side note: Firebrand and Dragon Slayer are not on sale.

#9 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:57 AM

Oh, sorry, no DS then. It is a great mech, but pretty costly without a sale.

I did try the Jester on the public test server, and it is a decent Catapult. However, it is a Catapult -- the huge CT and easy-to-lose arms will be a pain even with high mobility.

Edited by Modo44, 13 April 2014 - 08:58 AM.

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:23 AM

I haven't noticed K2s (and by extension Jesters) to be easy to lose their arms. But then again I haven't had any reason to aim for them. But other Catapults oh yeah. They all got C4-sized (which only kinda gimped the C4 even farther since it is no longer the only one to do 20-racks now, thanks PGI!).

Still, if a player wants to get away from the humanoid shapes of most Inner Sphere mechs, the Catapult's the closest thing you've got in a Heavy.

Below are some awesome screenshots. Because I haven't done that in a while.

View PostLordred, on 19 October 2013 - 12:33 PM, said:

Some more fun battle photos!

Spoiler

View PostLordred, on 05 November 2013 - 10:30 PM, said:

Some shots.

Spoiler

In all of the above, I am every Catapult except the Red and the Blue ones.

#11 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:48 AM

View PostKoniving, on 13 April 2014 - 10:23 AM, said:

I haven't noticed K2s (and by extension Jesters) to be easy to lose their arms.

Tiny side torso effect. When getting shot, your choice is between getting cored or twisting almost to the maximum angle -- to present the arms. The Dragon breaks down in a similar fashion. This is why variants with more torso weapons are marginally more useful.

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:03 AM

View PostModo44, on 13 April 2014 - 10:48 AM, said:

Tiny side torso effect

While true, there's a huge difference between the Dragon and the Catapult syndromes.
Allow me a few minutes to demonstrate...
In both cases here, the uncolored part of the head is the cockpit or an approximation.
Dragon Syndrome. (Bright blue = CT. The violet = ST).
Posted Image
Ain't no missing that belly!

Catapult Syndrome. (Again, bright blue CT, violet ST.)
Posted Image

The Catapult side torsos form an "L" shape, with the CT forming its own L shape. Whoever the heck did the hitbox must've just finished playing Tetris. ;)

Edited by Koniving, 13 April 2014 - 11:34 AM.

#13 Azkeel

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:03 PM

Thanks for all the answers guys ;) Ilya looks really nice, but it's long-pendent arms seem to make it hard to use those ballistic hardpoints. Or is mech itself tall enough that it isn't really a problem ?

Sorry for that question but I'm used to using Hawks' LT ballistic hardpoint :D

#14 Motörhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 262 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:26 PM

When I had a Victor I hated so much the low ballistics that I sold it, use the trial Victor to see more or less if you like ballistics in the arm that is a bit low.

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:39 PM

View PostAzkeel, on 13 April 2014 - 01:03 PM, said:

Thanks for all the answers guys ;) Ilya looks really nice, but it's long-pendent arms seem to make it hard to use those ballistic hardpoints. Or is mech itself tall enough that it isn't really a problem ?

Sorry for that question but I'm used to using Hawks' LT ballistic hardpoint :D

Difficult for hill humping (for that, use the energy hardpoints; there is one in each shoulder above your line of sight and perfect for hill humping, but otherwise fine. Here's an external video.

Using said shoulder hardpoints. (Time skipped vid.) It's as far forward as to understand the situation but heavy use of it is about a minute after that starting point. (Keep in mind mechs can't climb 'anything' anymore as they could in that second video).

Edited by Koniving, 13 April 2014 - 01:41 PM.

#16 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:14 PM

View PostAzkeel, on 13 April 2014 - 01:03 PM, said:

Thanks for all the answers guys :o Ilya looks really nice, but it's long-pendent arms seem to make it hard to use those ballistic hardpoints. Or is mech itself tall enough that it isn't really a problem ?

Sorry for that question but I'm used to using Hawks' LT ballistic hardpoint :)

It's fine on most terrains. It's not meant for "peek-a-boo" style though. As regards to the jester, losing limbs are rare, the torsos get shot more often. Do note that the jester can run hot, but if you like jumping around lots it would be fun.

#17 Turist0AT

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:44 AM

I want to chip in. Owend heroes: ILYA, Heavy Metal, Misery, Golden Boy, Firebrand, Jester.

ILYA has two high energy hardpoint if you want to hill hump. For high balistic hardpoint, Jägers. For high energy and balistic, Firebrand. But you dont need to hide behind a hill in an ILYA :o Its flexible and you can do any balistic energy combo you like. (2AC10+2PPC or 3Gauss, is pushing it.)

Jester is fast, really fast, can go 97km/h when mastered + Jay jays. The speed alone makes it sooo fun. (I like 5LL build on it, dont judge). Almost forgot, DUAL AMS!

Misery is hard, but when it clicks it becomes very good. Until it clicks youll hate it.
EDIT: And its a Stalker. Very durable machine and deadly one. Lost that side torso? Dont worry now you can spam all the weapons you have in the other side and center torso, because youll run cooler.

Dragon Slayer and Heavy Metal cant take AC-20 or 2 UAC5. Some other variants can. Heavy Metal plays music when you kill someone. Mechs peform well while on the move, using JJ, carrying heavy balistics, heavy lasers and can pack missiles. All in one machines with tonnage to support that.

I love Golden Boy but KTO-18 is better(faster, better movment range, one less energy tho) and there are better heroes out there. Kintaros focus on missiles with limited energy. Very deadly with lock on and/or dumbfire missiles thanks to five missile hardpoints. Insaine close range potential.

Stay away from: Grid iron, Yen-lo, Fang, Pretty Baby. Because: No jump jets, frigile, light on tonnage so its hard to fit anything good on them mediums, bad deacceleration(PB), bad hardpoints(PB) and high skill ceiling.

Edited by Turist0AT, 15 April 2014 - 06:42 AM.

#18 MisterPlanetarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 910 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:59 AM

I'd get the Jester or Ilya Muromets. Both are great chassi wise and the Cbill variants are not bad at all. Just make sure you get the Catapult K2 or the Cataphract 3D for cbills aswell if you get one of these.

Get the Misery on the 19th if you want to try Assault mechs.

The Misery is going to be very different from what you are used to, it has a great frontal profile that is not only small but spreads out damage really well if you are attacked from the front. You do however suffer from limited torso twisting ability and large side torso hitboxes when shot from the side. The Stalker is not an easy mech to pilot in close combat as a result but can be very rewarding when you learn to use it properly and keep targets in front of you. Its high mounted energy weapons also allow you to fire from cover better than any other non jumpjet assault mech right now. It is not however a beginner friendly mech with all that in mind. Especially when played with an AC20 close range configuration.

Here's a build thats fairly easy to play though as long as you don't get ambushed: Misery. Get the Advanced Zoom module and use it as a sniper. Rely on the medium lasers against targets that get to close for the PPC's.

Edited by MisterPlanetarian, 14 April 2014 - 02:11 AM.

#19 Turist0AT

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:07 AM

View PostMisterPlanetarian, on 14 April 2014 - 01:59 AM, said:

I'd get the Jester or Ilya Muromets. Both are great chassi wise and the Cbill variants are not bad at all. Just make sure you get the Catapult K2 or the Cataphract 3D for cbills if you get one of these.

Get the Misery if you want to try Assault mechs.

The Misery is going to be very different from what you are used to, it has a great frontal profile that is not only small but spreads out damage really well if you are attacked from the front. You do however suffer from limited torso twisting ability and large side torso hitboxes when shot from the side. The Stalker is not an easy mech to pilot as a result but can be very rewarding when you learn to use it properly. Its high mounted energy weapons also allow you to fire from cover better than any other non jumpjet assault mech right now.

Jepp han har rätt. Its wise to choose a hero after what chassie you are planing to master.

#20 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:18 AM

That is the one drawback to the CTF chassis. Other than the side torso energy points, its weapons hang REALLY low. That takes some getting used to. It's hard to find a good mix of effective energy and ballistic weapons, though. Cruise Smurfy for some build ideas.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users