Clan Mechs Have Different Hud Than Is Mechs?

17 replies to this topic

Poll: Separate HUD for Clan mechs (133 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Clan mechs have a Different HUD than IS mechs?

1. Yes (123 votes [89.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 89.78%

2. No (6 votes [4.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.38%

3. Not sure (8 votes [5.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.84%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 TuntematonSika

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 122 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPig with an identity crisis.

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:53 AM

The idea is to differentiate and have more diversity to aesthetics,

Like in Halo 3 when playing Spartan or Elite.

Lets hope PGI notices this

#2 fandre

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:06 PM

A trueborn warrior does not need any HUD ;)

Edited by fandre, 14 April 2014 - 12:07 PM.

#3 BARBAR0SSA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:04 PM

No hud and no radar if you have a clan weapon..balance solved and no need to nerf the weps ;)

#4 101011

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:09 PM

What, exactly, would you change, and do you believe it would be worthwhile as opposed to, say, CW?

View Postshad0w4life, on 14 April 2014 - 01:04 PM, said:

No hud and no radar if you have a clan weapon..balance solved and no need to nerf the weps ;)

Time to put a sticky note on my monitor and only drop in a group.

Edited by 101011, 14 April 2014 - 01:10 PM.

#5 Iqfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:32 PM

Oh, like this?

http://youtu.be/d8lQp96OtYE?t=2m45s

I want Clan 'Mechs to have a completely different HUD than IS 'Mechs.
Different colours, different shapes, different layout.

Won't happen, but well, we can dream.

#6 Impyrium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:21 PM

Actually, I like the sound of this. Even though I have no intention of using Clan 'Mechs, if they have a big art team, hey, why not?

#7 fandre

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:06 AM

I would like to see something different for the clans but the HUD in the youtube-Video looks a little bit "old school".

#8 TuntematonSika

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 122 posts
  • LocationPig with an identity crisis.

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:21 AM

View Postfandre, on 16 April 2014 - 07:06 AM, said:

I would like to see something different for the clans but the HUD in the youtube-Video looks a little bit "old school".

It was at least a basic reference about the Idea.

I was sort of thinking it could have the theme as the clans home page.

#9 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:07 AM

Greetings all,

Yes I would agree, the Clans originally had SLDF era systems and Mech's with all it's enhancements, and was the best at the time of the exodus. They have had 300yrs to improve this technology, while the Inner Sphere has lost most of this Lostech capability. The Clans also have different systems mounted on there Mech's, even the "Omni" system requires different controls for the Pilots. So again, yes, to Clan stylized HUD items. Showing the refinement of there original combat systems to, what the IS Pilots would deem "Alien".

The Inner Sphere systems we see now are basic functional combat systems with only slow advancements in Tech arising from various Factions. Once the invasion from the Clans starts there is a Tech jump from the IS to try to either reverse engineer or design new systems to combat the Clan advanced weapons and systems. We see Lostech being discovered by the IS with the Helm Memory Core and all the advancements it rapidly brings to systems and weapons.

This would be something similar to what you would see in shows like Star Trek, controls specific to the Feds, Klingons, Romulans. basically the same or similar systems but radically different looks.

9erRed

#10 sabujo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:26 AM

I don't think a new layout is a good idea as it may induce confusion, but changing the style and colors could be done with no harm. I think that the modelled cockpit (with all those dummy buttons and levers, etc) should be in a completely different way. Maybe with more paneling and less clutter. The outfit of the pilot should change as well.

Hell, all of these things could be used by IGP to monetize even further the game either on IS and Clan mechs: hud colors, hud reticules, pilot suit, cockpit style... But let's not speak too loud.

#11 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:35 PM

Greetings all,

Reference different HUDs causing confusion.

There would only be two HUDs, IS and Clan.

And we are only talking about the virtual displayed items and not the physical design or layout of the cockpit.
- all your mapped keys would be exactly the same, just a different display option.

But I do want the inside of a Clan Mech to actually look very different from an IS Mech,
~ some of the Lore states that the Clans got rid of the old school IS neuro-helmet and advanced to physical implants for the "link" to the Di computer.
(for the Clans, being a MechWarrior was a lifetime job, not something you did from 9-5.)

~ and they may have used holo displays for some systems.
(they did have 300yrs with no loss of technology)

I give you a Science fiction example of a design change that indicated updated and futuristic systems and layouts for the controls or cockpit.

- Star Trek "the original series"
Had old style clunky dials, pull bars, slides. And fit right in with what we expected at that time.
[and what we see in most of our Mech's now.]
- Star Trek " the Next Generation"
Had everything replaced with paneled touchscreen controls, the LCARS
[what I would expect for advanced Clan systems, streamlined.]

Compare this to a normal car from the 60's with it levers, pull bars, and slides for controls. Now step into a new car, same controls but most items are now touch sensitive and screens. That's what I'm looking at for jumping into a Clan Mech.

9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 18 April 2014 - 04:38 PM.

#12 Name140704

• 1,196 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:40 PM

I voted not sure because PGI will do whatever they want anyway. See: 3PV poll

#13 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:55 AM

The Clans are traditionalists, I don't think they would significantly change the HUD.

#14 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:43 AM

Greetings all,

Yes the Clans are traditionalists, but they are also competitive to the point of killing each other over disputes.

So any edge over another Pilot, be it tuning the systems or having the best controls at your disposal, would by a no brainer for them. Some of the Clan factions excelled at advancing the Technical function of equipment and weapons. And due to all the rivalry between each Faction, there scientists constantly sot to be ahead of the others in every aspect.

If anything is changed, it should be a stream lining of the control systems and a reduction of clutter. Simplifying the systems and there interfaces, giving the Clan MechWarriors the controls to allow them excel at what they do.

9erRed

#15 Geeks On Hugs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:36 PM

Why does that poll allow multiple choice? Anyway, I'd love to see different HUDs.

#16 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:52 PM

View Post9erRed, on 08 May 2014 - 11:43 AM, said:

Greetings all,

Yes the Clans are traditionalists, but they are also competitive to the point of killing each other over disputes.

So are humans in general. Read a history book if you don't believe me.

So any edge over another Pilot, be it tuning the systems or having the best controls at your disposal, would by a no brainer for them. Some of the Clan factions excelled at advancing the Technical function of equipment and weapons. And due to all the rivalry between each Faction, there their scientists constantly sot sought to be ahead of the others in every aspect.

Fair enough. Unfortunately, I don't see customized displays as being a worthwhile use of man-hours for PGI.

If anything is changed, it should be a stream lining of the control systems and a reduction of clutter. Simplifying the systems and there interfaces, giving the Clan MechWarriors the controls to allow them excel at what they do.

9erRed

#17 Grimmrog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:15 AM

I would like to see a more MW 3 style of the cockpit. My guns roght up at the HUD and my opponents Health bottom right. It feels nt good that my mechs status and my opps mechs status are diagonally opposited on the Screen.

#18 Chihuahuablend

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:41 PM

I like the idea that they could take it a step further with modules that edit your hud. i'd imagine IS scientists would try to replicate the clan hud design as a firmware update to their own mechs. This could use a seperate module slot vs. normal modules though, so players who like IS huds can option to use them, and same for clan hud preferencers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users