Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:56 AM

Posted Image

#2 TELEFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:30 PM

I'm glad you posted that. I haven't seen a good side-by-side comparison of the Timber Wolf though the various incarnations of the MechWarrior PC games.

I think out of those four, I like MWO's rendition the most. MW2's version comes in second. Sure it doesn't have detailed textures (I think the Titanium Edition version of MW2 did though), but the model looks awesome.

I think I actually like the MW4 model over the MW3 version. I never liked the way the MW3 Timber Wolf's textures turned out. The cockpit looks horrible.

#3 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:32 PM

Not sure which one I like the best ^_^

#4 101011

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:35 PM

My favorite is MW4's, but that is most likely because I was raised on that version. Man, I remember being like, five, and being proud that I finished 2-1 with my Mad Cat...and I still had half my 'Mech.

#5 AlmightyAeng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:53 PM

View PostTELEFORCE, on 17 April 2014 - 05:30 PM, said:

I'm glad you posted that. I haven't seen a good side-by-side comparison of the Timber Wolf though the various incarnations of the MechWarrior PC games.

I think out of those four, I like MWO's rendition the most. MW2's version comes in second. Sure it doesn't have detailed textures (I think the Titanium Edition version of MW2 did though), but the model looks awesome.

I think I actually like the MW4 model over the MW3 version. I never liked the way the MW3 Timber Wolf's textures turned out. The cockpit looks horrible.

That's kinda funny, because if you look at the MW3 model, the relative size of the different parts (legs, arms, torso, cockpit etc) is almost identical to MW:O.

Screw the textures...that's technology. The hitboxes MW:O is using are based off the one you say you liked the least.

#6 Jin Ma

• 1,323 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:01 PM

View Post101011, on 17 April 2014 - 05:35 PM, said:

My favorite is MW4's, but that is most likely because I was raised on that version. Man, I remember being like, five, and being proud that I finished 2-1 with my Mad Cat...and I still had half my 'Mech.

haha you are a baby. I played MW2 when i was 9ish but i had no idea what the hell was going on at the time. I just loved flinging those balls of blue.

The first MW game i played while at the same time having a good understanding of what i was actually doing was MW4. I remember when i saw MW3 at the store my parents wouldnt buy me it lol.

#7 101011

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:32 PM

View PostJin Ma, on 17 April 2014 - 06:01 PM, said:

haha you are a baby. I played MW2 when i was 9ish but i had no idea what the hell was going on at the time. I just loved flinging those balls of blue.

The first MW game i played while at the same time having a good understanding of what i was actually doing was MW4. I remember when i saw MW3 at the store my parents wouldnt buy me it lol.

Yep, I am the new generation.

#8 TELEFORCE

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:02 PM

View PostGhost Badger, on 17 April 2014 - 05:53 PM, said:

That's kinda funny, because if you look at the MW3 model, the relative size of the different parts (legs, arms, torso, cockpit etc) is almost identical to MW:O.

Screw the textures...that's technology. The hitboxes MW:O is using are based off the one you say you liked the least.

I couldn't care less about hitboxes. I'm sure they'll work out one way or another!

I suppose if someone did a nice retexturing mod with the MW3 Timber Wolf, I might like that over the MW4 one.

I think the proportions are alright. I just wish the MWO Timber Wolf was lower to the ground when standing still. I think it stands too tall, like the MWO Cataphract, while it's stationary. I wouldn't doubt it if the artists adjusted that between now and the Clan release.

#9 Jin Ma

• 1,323 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:05 PM

I just realized none of these have the timberwolf's knee joints outside

#10 Angry Viking

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:05 PM

Mech 4 version for me, thought i would sacrifice a kidney for MW3's single player with DX11 graphics. I begged and pleaded for my first pc at 6 years old to play MW2. Played with a joystick, and didn't need to hit the external camera to know what was going on. :)

#11 Demuder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:50 AM

I am very curious on how the hitboxes are going to work on this thing. It seems all legs, arms and... cockpit to me.

#12 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:40 AM

View PostTELEFORCE, on 17 April 2014 - 07:02 PM, said:

I couldn't care less about hitboxes. I'm sure they'll work out one way or another!

O.o...but...that's what makes it 'work' well or not...ENJOY YOUR TEXTURES *runs away twitching*

#13 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:46 AM

Weird how the graphical fidelity of MW3 is somewhat better than MW4 in some cases (except the maps I guess, which were too flat in MW3).

But I think the MWO model is pretty sexy compared to its predecessors.

#14 Jin Ma

• 1,323 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:13 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 18 April 2014 - 05:46 AM, said:

Weird how the graphical fidelity of MW3 is somewhat better than MW4 in some cases (except the maps I guess, which were too flat in MW3).

But I think the MWO model is pretty sexy compared to its predecessors.

MW3 just had "more" textures on the mechs. the actual mechs had less polygons

#15 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:23 AM

I like the MWO Mad Cat its a mean looking machine, Posted Image

#16 GFierce

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 56 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:53 AM

Thanks for providing the pictures. I think this showcases the changes over the years. I don't think any of them look bad it just shows how each group interpreted the Timber wolf. What I like is that you can still tell they are all the same mech just with some changes. I still say how it plays is more important than how it looks but it is going to be awhile before we know the answer to that.

#17 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,804 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:36 AM

T minus 2 months...

#18 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:43 AM

I always liked how sleek Mechwarrior 2 made the Timberwolf look. MechWarrior 3 and 4s versions looked so pudgy and bloated.

I do like the Mechwarrior 4 version over the MW3 and actually I notice some similarities between MW4 and MWO's redition.

Overall I always liked the MW2 version the best in proportions, but MWO does have the best looking design overall (but barely). Mechwarrior 3's version looks the worst and is blah.

#19 Jess Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel V
  • Star Colonel V
  • 643 posts
  • LocationFrozen in Time Somewhere IDK?

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:54 AM

I think that the mw3 model is the best looking.

#20 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:33 AM

MWO's model looks strangely less imposing.. perhaps the "body" is too skinny by a little?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users