#1 Burned_Follower

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationDanielsville, Georgia

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:21 PM

My OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

My Motherboard: Sabertooth 990FX R2.0

My CPU: AMD FX8350 8 core, 4.1GB per core(currently using a the stock heat sink that came with the chip)

My RAM: 16GB dual channel

My GPU: XFX R7950 Double Dissipation, 3GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0

Note: I use MSI afterburner to manually lock the two fans on my GPU to their highest speed when and ONLY when I play MWO. It improves the FPS by 10-15 FPS when I do that.

Ok, so after today's patch, I turned on my DX11, turned off my motion blur(because it doesn't make the game look better in my opinion)...and I maxed out every possible graphics setting I can find in the Advanced Settings. I got my AA settings set to "TSAA", whatever that means. Is that the best AA setting?

For my bench mark, I'm running a program called CPUID to monitor my temps. I can use MSI i think as well but I just like CPUID. Anyway, during the bench mark I minimized my MWO program after downing a mech in a heated brawl to check my hardware's temps. I was piloting a Raven 3L since I believe that piloting faster mechs are more demanding on FPS.

Below is the temps of CPUID.

The only temps that concern me is my GPU temp. Is that temp ok, or am I going to have to get a better GPU?

I'm on a very tight budget and I think that in a couple months I might be able to afford to put 100-150 bucks into a second less powerful GPU and cross fire it with my Current GPU to give it a performance boost and hopefully lower the temperature...does cross firing GPUs work like that? I've never used more than one GPU at a time before.

My goals are these:
1. Lower the temp in my GPU if needed
2. UP my FPS rate if needed. my average fps is 20's and 30's during the heat of battle on a map when it's snowing like hell, while piloting a fast light mech(RVN3L)

Posted Image

As far as I'm concerned, the FPS rate is still playable for me. It says in it's 30's and 40s when I run on maxed out DX9 settings and my GPU's average temp in the heat of battle is upper 60's lower 70's. So I'm seeing about a 10celcius degree difference maxing out my DX11 settings.

*edit* lol, just realized I said Gup temp instead of GPU temp on this topic's title.

Edited by Burned_Follower, 15 April 2014 - 02:25 PM.

#2 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:43 PM

I'm not too sure on ATI cards, but that 82C looks a little high. My nvidia GTX650ti only pegs top around 51C. I know my older Geforce 9800GT used to run max at around 76C, but I didn't have the wind tunnel of fans I do now, and I din't play MWO back then. Do you have adequate cooling in your system? Proper push/pull fans across the board? Enough fans? Enough room for it to breathe?

Found this comparison: http://www.tomshardw...ark,3123-3.html

They show load temps around 75C, so you are a tad on the high side. But take their test with a grain of salt, because obviously they didn't test the beast that is MWO. Of course a cooler card would net better performance, but like you said you already max your fans during game play. With DX11 not being optimized yet, I'd drop back to DX9 for the better fps. But I am by no means an expert and am sure somebody will come back with better, more detailed, advice.

#3 darqsyde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 348 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFar Beyond The Black Horizon

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:29 PM

Those GPU temps seem a bit warm. My 7870 O/C'd runs around 60C, with the fans never exceeding 50%. However it's not likely the card itself, as the DD's are supposed to be reasonably good coolers, so much as it's likely case ventilation/air-flow. The Mainboard temps suggest that.

Another thing, you should seriously consider investing in a decent Heatsink for your CPU. Even a reasonably cheap one like a Coolermaster Hyper212 should allow you to get more O/C out of that 8350. Personally, assuming a reasonable budget, I'd go for a Noctua U or D series air cooler, or maybe a Corsair H80i/100i water cooler. Based on your current temps and O/C you probably have a decent CPU for O/Cing.

As for Crossfiring...you'd need to get a 7950/7970 or R9 280/280X. And for a single monitor(1080) setup...not worth it at this time, IMO.

Edited by darqsyde, 15 April 2014 - 07:33 PM.

#4 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:48 PM

Your temp is well within designed parameters for the 7950 GPU. You have nothing to worry about there.

You could try further overclocking the CPU, but AMD is weak for gaming so you won't get much more MW:O performance out of it.

About the only thing you can do to reliably increase FPS is lower the quality settings (both in-game and in your graphics drivers) or lower the resolution.

#5 ThatBum42

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 220 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:37 AM

Yeah I can't say much about AMD GPUs as I am an Nvidia fanboi, but I think 80C while running at full tilt is acceptable. Modern GPUs can really take the heat.

I would have consulted AMD's specsheet, but they don't seem to have any thermal data. However, it says it's a 300 watt card, so it's expected to run hot with it consuming that much power.

EDIT: GPUBoss says the 7950 has an overall performance akin to the GTX 770, and the 770 is rated to 98C. That should give you some perspective, albit the 770 is a 230W card.

Edited by ThatBum42, 16 April 2014 - 02:49 AM.

#6 Burke IV

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:57 AM

I have seen my 4870 get over 90c before. Pant filling time. I cant speak about the OP particular card but i know that the 48xx line had issues with fan speed control. I dont trust mine to govern itself :) and set the fan speed by hand. Possibly the same reason you get fps boost, possibly not... I dont think trying to link mismatched cards is a good idea.

#7 The Gunman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 220 posts
  • LocationLow Orbit

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:14 AM

80C is the upper limit of what I would consider safe. I have use XFX 7970s with the same cooler as yours, I'm getting similar temps but I've got 3 of those cards squashed together in one case.

Check that you have sufficient ventilation in your case, that card doesn't eject its waste heat out of the case like most coolers do, it radiates the heat inside the case.

Secondly Crossfire doesn't work the way you think it does:
1. You can't pair a 7950 with a weaker card, it will only pair with another 7950 or a 7970.
2. Pairing 2 different strength cards (Asymmetrical Crossfire) causes serious micro-stuttering (even with the latest drivers)
3. MWO doesn't officially support Multi-GPU set-ups. Some people have had success getting it working, some haven't. My experience has been mixed.

#8 Burned_Follower

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • LocationDanielsville, Georgia

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:48 AM

View PostThe Gunman, on 16 April 2014 - 05:14 AM, said:

80C is the upper limit of what I would consider safe. I have use XFX 7970s with the same cooler as yours, I'm getting similar temps but I've got 3 of those cards squashed together in one case.

Check that you have sufficient ventilation in your case, that card doesn't eject its waste heat out of the case like most coolers do, it radiates the heat inside the case.

Secondly Crossfire doesn't work the way you think it does:
1. You can't pair a 7950 with a weaker card, it will only pair with another 7950 or a 7970.
2. Pairing 2 different strength cards (Asymmetrical Crossfire) causes serious micro-stuttering (even with the latest drivers)
3. MWO doesn't officially support Multi-GPU set-ups. Some people have had success getting it working, some haven't. My experience has been mixed.

Ok, I guess I'll wait until MWO officially supports multiple GPUs before I get a second card. Until then I'll just stick to DX9. I'm not seeing anything different visually at the moment on DX11 and I got a 27inch LED LG Monitor. As far as overclocking my CPU guys, I don't think there's a need. For example, one time I booted up task manager while in the middle of a fight one time to see how much of my 8 core proccessor was being used and I think only 4 cores were being used and even then it was at 30-40%. I got 4.1GB per core. The temps are fine on my CPU during both DX9 and 11 and that's why i'm sticking to the stock heat sink because I see no need to overclock. I wish there was a way to upgrade to a liquid cooling solution on my GPU without voiding the manufacturer warranty. I might do that anyway some day when i can afford it just for the fun of it. I do plan on getting an H100i someday for my CPU but that's only to make my PC run quieter during gameplay. That stock fan gets pretty loud, lol.

Oh, and as far as air flow is concerned, I got me a really huge case and have lots of fans with the proper push/pull setup. I also have awesome cable management.

Here is a pic of when I first built this PC. It's with another GPU I once had but my cable management is still exactly the same.

Posted Image

Edited by Burned_Follower, 16 April 2014 - 09:56 AM.

#9 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:18 PM

This game really likes raw clock speed. The faster your CPU is, the more FPS you will get. The fact that your CPU is only seeing 30-40% usage does not change the "more clock speed = more FPS in MW:O" equation. But you might only get 5-10 FPS extra by overclocking -- you have to decide whether it's worth the effort.

Again, anywhere in the 80s for GPU temps are fine. Modern GPUs will throttle themselves down long before they will die of heat. As long as your GPU clock speed stays at or near it's top value when your GPU is at the highest temps when gaming, that means it thinks it doesn't need to throttle down due to heat. And that means you are in the safe-temp zone. MSI Afterburner will show you all of that info.

#10 Smokeyjedi

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:05 AM

View PostBurned_Follower, on 16 April 2014 - 09:48 AM, said:

Ok, I guess I'll wait until MWO officially supports multiple GPUs before I get a second card. Until then I'll just stick to DX9. I'm not seeing anything different visually at the moment on DX11 and I got a 27inch LED LG Monitor. As far as overclocking my CPU guys, I don't think there's a need. For example, one time I booted up task manager while in the middle of a fight one time to see how much of my 8 core proccessor was being used and I think only 4 cores were being used and even then it was at 30-40%. I got 4.1GB per core. The temps are fine on my CPU during both DX9 and 11 and that's why i'm sticking to the stock heat sink because I see no need to overclock. I wish there was a way to upgrade to a liquid cooling solution on my GPU without voiding the manufacturer warranty. I might do that anyway some day when i can afford it just for the fun of it. I do plan on getting an H100i someday for my CPU but that's only to make my PC run quieter during gameplay. That stock fan gets pretty loud, lol.

Oh, and as far as air flow is concerned, I got me a really huge case and have lots of fans with the proper push/pull setup. I also have awesome cable management.

Here is a pic of when I first built this PC. It's with another GPU I once had but my cable management is still exactly the same.

Posted Image

Ok download Coreparkcontrol ID freeware program, Run MWO, minimize MWO and install program, fire program up and literally watch 8 threads start dancing, thank Smokeyjedi later........

**edit** you will need to use a slider to disable all core parking on your current power profile....again thank me later. and the Advice about Noctua D14 or similar is a very very good idea......why wouldnt you OC that chip upto a I7 3770 for the cost of cooler and paste.....and shut these Intel lolligaggers up about ma screaming AMD FX Vishera. Its named "Trogdorr the burninator" but I guarantee I can convert a Yifi 1080P onto a DVD faster than you I7's that arent OC'd.............so nuff banter about ma chip/

Edited by Smokeyjedi, 17 April 2014 - 03:13 AM.

#11 Smokeyjedi

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:19 AM

http://smokeyjedi.imgur.com/all/

These were taken before I installed My Adata 256GB SSD, and G.skill sniper 2133 DDR3.........going from 1333DDRCL7 to this was the next best thing I ever did to thie rig besides liquid cool and aggressively OC the 8350 to 4.766 ghz :P B) :P

Edited by Smokeyjedi, 17 April 2014 - 03:26 AM.

#12 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:59 AM

I'll say thank you Smokeyjedi. Going to test this out when I get home from work this morning.

#13 Nick Rarang

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:04 PM

My system is very similar to yours as I have a fx8350 / 7970 /16gb /120 SSD and I run my cpu @ 4.95ghz with 1.48mv my memory is clocked @ 2023 mhz with 1.515mv and gpu is clocked@ 1110 core / 1610 mem with 1.25mv. My settings are dx11 1080p very high msaa on VSync off. My GPU utilization is @ 99% constantly only at these settings. I average 45 fps and it doesn't dip below 30fps. GPU temp is around 67deg. I set the fan speed to manual and it doesn't go above 70%. I find the 13.12whql drivers better than the 14.3's. I got the best visual quality, as well as smoothest frame time variance of 15ms at these settings.

This game loves an over clocked high ipc cpu. When i down clocked the cpu to stock 4.0 ghz, I noticed a loss of 15 fps. GPU down clock to 955/1375 stock was only a 4 fps loss.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users