- - - - -

Autoweapon Target System?

23 replies to this topic

#1 ExtremeConfig

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:01 PM

i have now been playing for a few days and seen how this game works, i have seen a mech with autotargetting system or whatever it is, like the banshee la malinche was walking after the enemy and some light mech just went down under some hill, then the banshee came and i thought he had to jump down aswell to get it, no chance to aim that far down..then something happens, some line with a small dot tracks the target he fires his lasers and hits the light mech that high up. crosshairs was not even on the target. when i did see that i just sat there thinking: wtf did i just see?

so can all mechs get that or just the banshee?

#2 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:08 PM

I really can't tell what you are describing, or what you are asking... clarification please?

Only weapons that can hit a target without having to have the crosshairs over the target upon weapon impact would be SSRMs or LRMs, and only if they have a missile lock for the flight to start and end at...

Otherwise, no. A mech can not hit a target that they can't get their crosshairs onto when they fire (even with missiles).

More description/video/screenshot is necessary before I could provide any farther help, as I'm not comprehending the problem... :)

#3 SethAbercromby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:09 PM

It's called arm lock and is active by default for new players. When you disable it, the arms become able to move independently from the torso and can shoot further up and down, if they only have an upper arm actuator but also further to each side if they have a lower arm actuator. Try it yourself and if you feel comfortable with it, you should definitely run with it as it gives your arm weapons more freedom of movement (as that banshee demonstrated).

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:12 PM

I know what it is.

He's describing the "Arm targeting" crosshair.

There are two crosshairs.
The + represents the Torso (body) weapons.
The o represents the Arm weapons.

What you are describing can be seen in the first few seconds (to a minute) in this.

Before Armlock, this was the only way to get a truly precise aim at your target since the arms and torso could never 'synchronize' and move at the same time.

Here, after 30 seconds in (time skipped to that point) while 'dancing' I start controlling my arm which you can clearly see in my vision. (*Starts singing: Captain Jean Luc Picard of the U.S.S. Enterprise...")

Other examples of its usage. Sometimes for defense. For advanced targeting. Or even for communication!
Spoiler

Edited by Koniving, 15 April 2014 - 03:20 PM.

#5 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:17 PM

Thanks guys. I JUST thought about the description and came to that conclusion. Way to show me up as I was about to ask if he meant the circle reticule moving separate from the torso crosshairs... :P

His wording was a little... confusing for me at first. Took a while for my brain to process... :)

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:22 PM

View PostExtremeConfig, on 15 April 2014 - 03:01 PM, said:

so can all mechs get that or just the banshee?

On a side note: Only 2 Banshees can do that. As only two can have weapons on the arms.
Any mech with a weapon on the arm can do that to some extent. If it has a "lower arm actuator" it can do left and right. If it does not, it cannot (with limited exception). But regardless, any mech with arms can aim up and down that way.

#7 ExtremeConfig

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:34 PM

thanks allot guys :) did rly solve my problem, sitting here for hours trying to figure it out :P

my first forum post Ever btw xD

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:42 PM

I noticed. (It gives the post count on the left.) By the way, welcome to MWO. Anything you want to ask you can ask here (or if it's really short and simple in the short question short answer thread under new player help pinned near the top).

Many people are helpful here. I tend to be helpful here and in game (even as I'm killing you! :) )

When you go to get a mech if you have not already, please be sure to switch Mechlab's filter from owned to purchasable if you want to get the stats on the mechs and a visual to look at besides a tiny picture.
Posted Image
The "store" is not finished and is missing a lot of functionality.
It'll save you some headaches. :P

Edited by Koniving, 15 April 2014 - 03:55 PM.

#9 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:55 PM

View PostKoniving, on 15 April 2014 - 03:42 PM, said:

Many people are helpful here. I tend to be helpful here and in game (even as I'm killing you! :) )

Listen to Koniving. He's a great source of information for the game.

You can always ask, and there are a lot of people in game and on the forums willing to help. (Hopefully they all are not as dense as I can be... like I was here... :P )
(What can I say? I like to pick on myself!)

#10 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:58 PM

View PostExtremeConfig, on 15 April 2014 - 03:34 PM, said:

thanks allot guys :) did rly solve my problem, sitting here for hours trying to figure it out :P

my first forum post Ever btw xD

Welcome to the game.

#11 Takashi Uchida

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 496 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:29 PM

This is kinda OT but does anyone know if there's any info released about the "Targeting computer" to come with the clan invasion? lol, I opened this thread expecting to hear about it.

I know in previous games you get a little indicator on your hud to help you "lead" targets and hit moving mechs.

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:50 PM

View PostTakashi Uchida, on 15 April 2014 - 06:29 PM, said:

This is kinda OT but does anyone know if there's any info released about the "Targeting computer" to come with the clan invasion?

No info. :)

#13 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:12 PM

View PostTakashi Uchida, on 15 April 2014 - 06:29 PM, said:

This is kinda OT but does anyone know if there's any info released about the "Targeting computer" to come with the clan invasion?

It will be just as useful as the Command Console, except at half the tonnage.

#14 Takashi Uchida

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 496 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:22 PM

View PostModo44, on 15 April 2014 - 08:12 PM, said:

It will be just as useful as the Command Console, except at half the tonnage.

Excellent, my mech could use a ballast

#15 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:00 AM

Its really sad that he had to come to forums to get the answer. I guess next thing he'll wonder about will be throttle decay. How is an interactive in-game tutorial isn't a top priority for devs I've no idea ...

#16 Whoops

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 83 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:51 AM

Phoenix...there IS an in game tutorial. The problem is...it's not mandatory for new players. You get a pop-up asking if you want to run it, and if you click no, you skip through. (Of course, there's the button under the training grounds launcher, but people ignore that as well).

The tutorial covers movement (including throttle decay), torso twisting, arm lock, jump jets, and 1st/3rd person view. I tried going through it a couple times to see what else it covered in the way of weapon systems, but after the movement section, the tutorials crash on me.

#17 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:49 AM

The tutorial, unfortunately, covers maybe 2% of the game's abilities and then lets you free roam. The tutorial Locks Throttle Decay, Armlock, etc., so you cannot learn about those in it. It forces the tutorial to fit on an existing map instead of something made to cater to the tutorial. This leads to other problems as not having something to adequately teach within.

Now. I started recording some tutorials again. I'll be getting them up within the next month assuming I can fix my current headset issues.

One thing I will be doing is advanced tutorials for niche tricks that not many people need but are always handy to be able to do.

Example: Firing at two targets at once. Dumb firing missiles. Lock-on tricks. Corner-turning missiles. Environmental tricks (how to identify climbing surfaces. How to climb steeper slopes than you are rated for. How long can you stay in lava without getting hurt. Etc). Countering for high ping (I had to learn this one when I played while uploading videos). And pretty much anything else I can think of.

Edited by Koniving, 16 April 2014 - 06:58 AM.

#18 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:04 AM

what kind of control scheme do people use for moving the arms or is it a toggle and the mouse moves them?

#19 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:09 AM

There is a setting called Arm Lock. Uncheck it, and your arms will follow the cursor directly with the torso following at its slower speed. You can also hold a key (Shift by default) to temporarily change it during a match. (Note that you can not control the torso separately like in MW3 -- it always follows the arms in MWO.)

Edited by Modo44, 16 April 2014 - 08:12 AM.

#20 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:12 AM

Hey OP :) The + Crosshair is your torso mounted weapons and the O crosshair...ah...shit...Koniving has been here already.

You see what happens when I go on vacation!? All the answers are already here!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users