Light Mech Packs

9 replies to this topic

#1 Arahantius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:46 PM

I have just witnessed an amazing game! My team started with 8 light mechs, 2 mediums and 1 heavy. Initially, I thought I was doomed, we were already down one and it was Terra Therma which is the bane of energy weapons (the main weapon of the light).

Luckily, we had someone take command. The first contact came and of course we were facing the entire enemy force. The command came to flank left to take advantage of the scattered flankers and down went the first 3 heavy mechs in blinding displays of massed laser power by the wolf pack of light mechs.

And again, more opponents tried to flank. Again, they were torn to shreds as they suddenly found themselves overwhelmed by superior firepower. Their inability to focus on a single mech prevented them from dishing out much damage to any single mech.

In the end, we won. The lights had done immense amounts of damage, most above 600dmg.

The strategy had been perfect, someone taking command and basically leading the pack to each small group of stragglers. Their speed had created the perfect confusion. Unfortunately, the heavy couldn't keep up but he didn't complain. He understood that we couldn't face the enemy toe to toe.

So, just fight with what you have available.

#2 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:42 PM

Excellent tale, one we don't hear often enough IMO.

Clearly teamwork is OP!

#3 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:02 AM

It probably would not have worked out if say they had 1-2 good AC40 jagers or Streak boats mediums.
However a very good 4 man pre made of good light pilots can be very deadly.

I was in colony on solo pug in Quad AC5 CTF4X.. In found pilot I knew in the same lance in a CTF-IM... Decided to tag with him for the tunnel run... Blew up a jager at the another CTF on the way back down slope and caught the enemy team by surprise for a back stab.. Between me an the CTF-IM we took down 6 mechs and there was when the enemy lights struck..

The funny was it was a ECM Raven and guess what ? 2-3 Huggins !
Our two mech was already messed up already.. The CTF-IM went down and than it was my turn... I tired to damage them as much as possible but they were pretty fresh.... I went down too... Luckily enough damage was done on those to the rest of the team to take them out.

#4 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:35 AM

If all are competent a PUG wolf pack with 3+ lights/fast mediums is deadly, but only if you work together, pick your fights, and back off when necessary. Three on one you can take anything (possibly except a light with a good pilot) with minimal damage, and you have the speed to pick your fights. In a 4 man premade with voice coms the lights can becomes more deadly because of better coordination

#5 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:58 AM

This is a legit thing. It seems that some comp teams, given the opportunity with their drop loadout, opt to run in two groups: One with all the medium-assault mechs (a "death ball"), and one pack (JR7s or FS9s). They tend to operate as two lances, with the DB being the main maneuver element and the pack running hit-n-run and straggler control.

I'm rather looking forward to seeing the next evolution in drop composition dynamics.

#6 Slicer

• PipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:50 AM

Hey ShinVector! You're still playing? Always nice to see a familiar face around. Which TS server are you on these days?

Yea light wolfpack use really went down when high pinpoint alpha designs came en vogue. Too easy to get a leg chopped off, against a good gunner, no matter how hard you dodge. Back in 8v8 days a light wolfpack on coms is damn near unstoppable as their coordination and speed means they dictate where battle occurs and oftentimes can pick off a straggler element (1-2 mechs) in short order. If the enemy stays tight then the lights will go capping and force the enemy to pick their poison to RTB en masse (get slammed in the rear by the frontline) or if they go back in 1-4 strength the wolfpack will tear em to shreds at the cap oftentimes.

When i led a light pack, i always prioritize taking down enemy lights first. Odds are they're not on comms so 4v1-2 means quick and easy victory, thus leading to open backshots on the rest of the enemy team as the heavies push in. However with 12v12 and high alpha builds, lights have to be WAAAAY more selective on how they fight as 1 misstep will get a leg or torso torn off in short order. No more lag shield means lights turn into the squishy pests that they are. Extremely deadly when used right but swatted down easily when not.

Heh... remember the days of the lag shield... man i abused it so much back in the day :)

#7 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 20 April 2014 - 01:03 AM

And the sad thing is that we'll never see anything like this anymore with 3/3/3/3.

#8 Scurry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 375 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:15 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 20 April 2014 - 01:03 AM, said:

And the sad thing is that we'll never see anything like this anymore with 3/3/3/3.

Technically, you could see some Cicadas mixed in, for something like 6 "lights".

#9 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:33 AM

View PostSlicer, on 20 April 2014 - 12:50 AM, said:

Hey ShinVector! You're still playing? Always nice to see a familiar face around. Which TS server are you on these days?

Yea light wolfpack use really went down when high pinpoint alpha designs came en vogue. Too easy to get a leg chopped off, against a good gunner, no matter how hard you dodge. Back in 8v8 days a light wolfpack on coms is damn near unstoppable as their coordination and speed means they dictate where battle occurs and oftentimes can pick off a straggler element (1-2 mechs) in short order. If the enemy stays tight then the lights will go capping and force the enemy to pick their poison to RTB en masse (get slammed in the rear by the frontline) or if they go back in 1-4 strength the wolfpack will tear em to shreds at the cap oftentimes.

When i led a light pack, i always prioritize taking down enemy lights first. Odds are they're not on comms so 4v1-2 means quick and easy victory, thus leading to open backshots on the rest of the enemy team as the heavies push in. However with 12v12 and high alpha builds, lights have to be WAAAAY more selective on how they fight as 1 misstep will get a leg or torso torn off in short order. No more lag shield means lights turn into the squishy pests that they are. Extremely deadly when used right but swatted down easily when not.

Heh... remember the days of the lag shield... man i abused it so much back in the day :lol:

Yo... Slicer.. Long time no see... Been seeing a few old faces recently.
No change on the TS.. hlvoice.com

#10 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:59 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 20 April 2014 - 01:03 AM, said:

Not necessarily true, you'll just see either a reemergence of the CDA chassis (per someone else's post above) or 3-mech light packs. Face it, that's all that most people seem to want lights for anyhow. It MIGHT just force a change in the death ball mentality, though I doubt it. Still, a pack of three Jenners is almost as formidable as one of four Jenners. It's still a death sentence for a straggling assault mech, or for most any new player.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users