Teamspeak (A Minor Rant)

22 replies to this topic

#1 SOGNeon

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:47 PM

I spent about 7 hours gaming today... I saw 35 kurita players in the pick up games. I did not see a single one in the house kurita teamspeak server.

Even if you’re not playing with your "house unit" it is always a good idea to join the TS server.

During this same time I saw a dozen or so people pop in and out (presumably looking for someone they did not see) and a dozen or so players join in to play with their units. I also linked up with 2 players who came into TS for a hand full of games where we dropped together.

I also recognized one name from these forums while playing. It was nice to see someone I recognized even if we did not get a chance to talk.

So... since the folks who are hosting the house kurita teamspeak server where kind enough to make the server available to all of us, my question is this... Why are we not taking better advantage of it? It is a great opportunity to meet new players, and to coordinate with your team mates in the pick up games.

I urge you to log in when you are playing... I will frequently be lurking in the Luthien station (default channel) when I am online (whether or not I am playing MWO at the time) feel free to give me a shout when you see me.

#2 SOGNeon

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:51 PM

Oh and I would like to thank the TS server owner/admins for providing us with this service/resource. thank you. (but could you get me flagged as a registered user on the server already<G> I know I FINALLY am getting active in the game after 2+ years, but I have always been a Draconis Combine member)

#3 ManaValkyrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 507 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:44 AM

I understand your feeling about the House Kurita Hub Teamspeak, I do, I still run as an admin in there, but, when I can spend days not seeing people sign in and utilize the facilities, I am less likely to watch that server, when my own unit TS has people in and out.

The Hub server used to be fairly active, with several units running in and out of there regularly, unfortunately the PGI hammer to group limits and continual push backs on how groups with more than 5 people were shoved over, the lack of real in game content in the form of community warfare which has driven off a lot of the old players until it is actually implemented has reduced active numbers.

This combined with several disagreements between a couple of the larger units meant that some groups will not sign onto the Hub at all, only really running off there own servers, I tried getting the members/leaders to reuse the hub, even if it was to have a couple of parked members. I tried running community events such as the Dragon Drop Saturday's, then the different weight class days.etc.

For a little while it worked to a small degree, then issues about well only X unit runs off the Hub and they get all the new members.etc.

So although I agree with your rant, hell I even tried doing something about it more than once, it's still something that with the current game population is likely to continue due to the HK having each of the main units organized off its own TS.

#4 Lord Ikka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:56 AM

Generally, the 9th Sword uses our own unit TS when we're dropping, except for events like the Dragon Drop Saturday that Mana mentioned. It's not because we've got any problems with other HK units, we're just trying to up our competition level and for the most part trying to not PUG drop (or at least run comp tactics/builds in 4-mans if possible). I think that if/when CW shows up we'll see the HK TS used a lot more as both a diplomatic meeting place for regimental leaders and a way to organize the various DCMS solitary players into lances.

I've found the HK TS to be a good place to meet people, and am on there every so often, and I know others in the 9th are as well.

#5 Mechaninjalo

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:07 AM

Salute SOGNeon, I'm sorry u r having problems with not enough House Kurita players not on TS. I for one am still trying to figure out and play the game , so only speaking for me I don't feel comfortable at this time trying to get together with others due to my lack of skill. Maybe others feel the same, but when I think I wont drag team down I will in the future. Good luck and may your missiles always hit their mark.

#6 Sochr000

• Pip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:15 AM

I haven't tried in a while, but last time I tried to sign into the TS server there was a password. Any chance we could get the information here, or maybe even stickied?

#7 Asheron Storm

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:55 AM

I have the FRR tag, but I never use FRR teamspeak.

some of the people who I enjoy playing with hate teamspeak and refuse to use it for various reasons. This annoys me, but I can't make them change their opinions, so whatever. Since I can't talk to my friends on teamspeak, I usually just have my t.v. playing in the background.

Even when I'm on a team that uses VoiP, half the time we're using mumble or Vent. We also specifically avoid "public" channels due to the preponderance of trolls and spies and also to avoid the annoying situation of having two units on the same server fighting against each other (since the match-maker doesn't distinguish between houses).

The most active in game voice chat I've ever seen was in Planetside2. Even with sophisticated in-game voice chat, there are still occasional trolls and spies. The trolls can just be muted of-course, but when there's a spy, even that active in-game chat would go dark as everyone retreated to their private VoiP servers.

Those public channels are a great place to meet people and make friends, but don't expect people to talk tactics on those channels.. even now, when winning and losing really doesn't matter at all..

For that matter though, if you're gonna pop in you might as well go say hi to whoever is there, even if you don't know them.

#8 BARBAR0SSA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:12 PM

I had no clue it existed....

#9 Stealth Raptor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 466 posts
  • LocationLenexa, Kansas

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:26 PM

Yeah nights scorn is definitely guilty of not going over. We have always been somewhat of a hermit and don't leave our ts often (except for the occasional jaunt over to the 9th). However we have been hit very hard with people not dropping often anymore, and I personally try to keep dropping with our guys to try to keep activity level up as opposed to dropping in other channels. Once pgi Gets their shit together and gets more group stuff going and we become active again I will try to bring us to the HK server more often :lol:

#10 SOGNeon

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:27 PM

Well it seems I forgot to republish the server info...

teamspeak3
Server address: HouseKurita.Teamspeak3.com:6619
Server password: Yakuza

(Edit note: I had it pointed out to me that I had a capitalization error, the password is case sensitive, so I have corrected it here.)

I understand individual gaming squads want to run on their TS servers to keep tighter controls on comms especially during games...this was more about reminding folks that when playing pick up games the resource is there... it makes it easier to up the level of your playing experience during a game, and possibly to even form new friendships with other players.

Edited by SOGNeon, 16 April 2014 - 01:55 PM.

#11 Sochr000

• Pip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:49 PM

View PostSOGNeon, on 16 April 2014 - 01:27 PM, said:

well it seems I forgot to republish the server info...

teamspeak3
server address: HouseKurita.Teamspeak3.com:6619
server password: yakuza

I understand individual gaming squads want to run on their TS servers to keep tighter controls on comms especially durring games...this was more about reminding folks that when playing pick up games the resource is there... it makes it easier to up the level of your playing experience durring a game, and possibly to even form new friendships with other players.

It should be noted that the password isn't "yakuza" but instead, "Yakuza"... Capitalization seems to be important!

#12 ManaValkyrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 507 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:08 AM

Well Neon, I at least showed willing and encouraged my guys to spend some time on the public TS dropping. As I stated before we are about often, but if your looking for people to drop with poke at me on the Hub

#13 SOGNeon

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:36 PM

I played with you guys for a while last night... my coworker and I greatly enjoyed it. though the rant was actually intended more toward the solos than the organized units. I am quite glad to see units willing to work with us solo players. I friended several of you last night, and hope to friend many more along the way as I see you. my next intended rant will be more directly pointed at the solo players. ^_^

#14 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:44 PM

I would SOG, but there hardly seems to be anyone on during EU primetime.....in fact I dropped on several different TS servers over the course of several weeks-not just Kuritan ones either. Same result next to no EU players.
I have to stay up to silly'o clock just to get a group......

HELLO EUROPE!!! WAKEY WAKEY

#15 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:55 PM

View PostAsheron Storm, on 16 April 2014 - 11:55 AM, said:

I have the FRR tag, but I never use FRR teamspeak.

some of the people who I enjoy playing with hate teamspeak and refuse to use it for various reasons. This annoys me, but I can't make them change their opinions, so whatever. Since I can't talk to my friends on teamspeak, I usually just have my t.v. playing in the background.

Even when I'm on a team that uses VoiP, half the time we're using mumble or Vent. We also specifically avoid "public" channels due to the preponderance of trolls and spies and also to avoid the annoying situation of having two units on the same server fighting against each other (since the match-maker doesn't distinguish between houses).

The most active in game voice chat I've ever seen was in Planetside2. Even with sophisticated in-game voice chat, there are still occasional trolls and spies. The trolls can just be muted of-course, but when there's a spy, even that active in-game chat would go dark as everyone retreated to their private VoiP servers.

Those public channels are a great place to meet people and make friends, but don't expect people to talk tactics on those channels.. even now, when winning and losing really doesn't matter at all..

For that matter though, if you're gonna pop in you might as well go say hi to whoever is there, even if you don't know them.

Unlike us Mariks who love to fight against each other, even if we are in the same channel. ;)

#16 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:33 PM

View PostDavers, on 24 April 2014 - 07:55 PM, said:

Unlike us Mariks who love to fight against each other, even if we are in the same channel. ;)

Still got bruises from the last time I did that with you guys.

I think I loosened my teeth on the dashboard from being shot in the back. Ow.

#17 Slepnir

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 723 posts
  • Locationyelm washington

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:58 PM

Hey SOGneon, sorry your having trouble, I play late at night US time so yeah the server is usually pretty empty. Its great that Fate Aki is putting it up for us as a hub however it seems I end up playing with a lot of the oceanic time zone groups. usually with some mercs and fellow kurita's over on comstar NA (the peregrine legionnaires channel near the bottom) occasionally stealing from the 9th swords later night oceanic players. What is your primary play time and time zone? that might help us figure out why your missing your fellow warriors of the dragon.

#18 M E X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 381 posts
  • Locationg-town, Vienna, Austria, EU.

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:28 AM

View Postkamiko kross, on 24 April 2014 - 07:44 PM, said:

I would SOG, but there hardly seems to be anyone on during EU primetime.....in fact I dropped on several different TS servers over the course of several weeks-not just Kuritan ones either. Same result next to no EU players.
I have to stay up to silly'o clock just to get a group......

HELLO EUROPE!!! WAKEY WAKEY
Maybe you are looking for Europeans on the wrong servers ?

Are you visiting eu1.mech-connect.net , the EUROPEAN Comstar relay ?

MfG, MEX

PS: In the International section of Comstar EU everyone is allowed to create his own temporary subchannel ( with or without password ) in the channel of his language !
So if you are concerned about spies or trolls, just make a subchannel with a password for your group there.
If you want to use this subchannel permanently, you need to contat one of the admins ...

#19 BlackDragon83

• PipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:45 AM

Just to add to the choir of unit-members, I'm part of Ronin Legion which have our own teamspeak server that I usually run on (details on our website at http://roninlegion.enjin.com/home). I used to run on the HK teamspeak, but our unit was barred for a while shortly after forming for some unknown reason so we set up our own. I occasionally go back to the HK TS but when it's quiet on our TS, it's almost always dead on HK TS as well, so our members often jump over to Comstar/NGNG instead.

We have members in both EU and US timezones and usually have people online during primetime, particularly on Thursday eveings CEST EU time and Sunday evenings EST when we run our weekly 12-man training slots. We too have had trouble keeping things going over the last year or two, but a combination of casual and competative play as part of a couple of leagues seems to be keeping at least some of us motivated. Please visit us and come share a drop or two - we're always happy to fight alongside other servants of the Dragon.

Edited by BlackDragon83, 25 April 2014 - 12:51 AM.

#20 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:43 AM

View PostM E X, on 25 April 2014 - 12:28 AM, said:

Maybe you are looking for Europeans on the wrong servers ?

Are you visiting eu1.mech-connect.net , the EUROPEAN Comstar relay ?

MfG, MEX

PS: In the International section of Comstar EU everyone is allowed to create his own temporary subchannel ( with or without password ) in the channel of his language !
So if you are concerned about spies or trolls, just make a subchannel with a password for your group there.
If you want to use this subchannel permanently, you need to contat one of the admins ...

Ah thanks for that. But I was more concerned about the general lack of european players. Nearly any unit I've been involved with is predominantly US timezone, most of the recruitment threads are for US timezone players and so on.....
There seems to be very few european players on these days lots of pug random solo droppers-not many people in units on voip.....
Kind of worrying....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users