#1 Zuesacoatl

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 614 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:46 PM

Hey PGI,

I just thought that maybe you guys/gals could add the normal function of the ESC key backing out of any screen/menu you happen to be in. I hit it all the time when I wish to back out of the current screen, especially the social tab. I have noticed that both my brothers, 2 sons, and Father all have the habit of hitting that key when they wish to leave the screen they are on, only to be greeted with no response. This would be a not so high up on the list fix, but my god would it just make navigation SOOOO much easier.

#2 Drudgewerk

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:58 PM

I second the idea.

Also, could you please add in the ability to quit the game directly from the UI instead of having to first log out to the log in screen and THEN go through another two click process to actually exit the game?

You know, like it used to be before UI 2.0, just hit ESC then click Exit Game. All done.

#3 DeadlyNerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:58 PM

That's impossible. PGI is obviously set on the path of making the UI keyboard interaction free. I'm sure they'll implement an on screen keyboard for controlling the mech and inputing values into options.

With the sarcasm off. How old are you? You sound like someone who hasn't yet played a plethora of games where each and every one(even the console ones) support backing out of a current menu using an "Esc","B","square" etc. This function has been present since the first game, not to mention it persisted through the rising of a mouse controlled generation of games.

Not only that, but "Esc" is a developer control, because they can't depend on the mouse to respond in every situation. It's a mystery that they decided to disable one of the most basic key handlers, along with directional arrows,enter and tab.

View PostDrudgewerk, on 15 April 2014 - 09:58 PM, said:

Also, could you please add in the ability to quit the game directly from the UI instead of having to first log out to the log in screen and THEN go through another two click process to actually exit the game?

You know, like it used to be before UI 2.0, just hit ESC then click Exit Game. All done.

Alt+F4, works like a charm. As Paul would probably say : "Learn your shortcuts kids."

Edited by DeadlyNerd, 15 April 2014 - 10:01 PM.

#4 Zuesacoatl

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 614 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:09 PM

View PostDeadlyNerd, on 15 April 2014 - 09:58 PM, said:

That's impossible. PGI is obviously set on the path of making the UI keyboard interaction free. I'm sure they'll implement an on screen keyboard for controlling the mech and inputing values into options.

With the sarcasm off. How old are you? You sound like someone who hasn't yet played a plethora of games where each and every one(even the console ones) support backing out of a current menu using an "Esc","B","square" etc. This function has been present since the first game, not to mention it persisted through the rising of a mouse controlled generation of games.

Not only that, but "Esc" is a developer control, because they can't depend on the mouse to respond in every situation. It's a mystery that they decided to disable one of the most basic key handlers, along with directional arrows,enter and tab.

Alt+F4, works like a charm. As Paul would probably say : "Learn your shortcuts kids."
That is what I am saying. The normal functionality of the ESC key needs to be added. Every game I play it works the same way, the back out key. I am 37, and yes, it has worked that way since playing d&d on my atari ST lol

#5 DeadlyNerd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:17 PM

View PostZuesacoatl, on 15 April 2014 - 11:09 PM, said:

That is what I am saying. The normal functionality of the ESC key needs to be added. Every game I play it works the same way, the back out key. I am 37, and yes, it has worked that way since playing d&d on my atari ST lol

Ah, sorry, you need to be a bit more subtly cynical when suggesting obvious features, otherwise it sounds like gullible pleading to the PGI overlord.

#6 SgtKinCaiD

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationBordeaux

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:32 PM

Good suggestion OP !

#7 BladeXXL

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:48 AM

My additional wish:
UI tracks the history of all visited screens and allow to navigate throu the history with the mouse-side-buttons ... like all the browsers do!

also hitting BACKPACE should go back the history (for those who heve no side buttons)

#8 Lupin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 955 posts
  • LocationKent, UK.

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:01 AM

Many players suggested this when Beta testing UI2.0 but nothing.
Seems standard on most menus systems, not sure why they did not put it in or AT LEAST map a key for it.

BTW quickest way to get to out of the lays of menus is to switch tabs at the top of the screen.

#9 Blue Drache

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 139 posts
  • LocationSkei's Haven, Krynn

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:52 AM

PGI doesn't care about implementing useful stuff. Only nerfing useful stuff to uselessness.

I daresay, they just don't care. Period.

Edited by Blue Drache, 16 April 2014 - 03:52 AM.

#10 Coyotebrother

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:38 AM

I am amazed by folks who think that PGI even gives a flying Rat about what the community would like to see implimented. Especially those who are Founders and have seen the history of PGI's lack of concern for it's player base.

#11 BladeXXL

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:57 AM

I am amazed by folks who think they can do it better without having any idea of the business or programming.
Especially those who are Founders and have seen the difference in content volume between May 2012 and now (a little more then 2 years of development).

Go and buy a completed game with 4-5 years development like Diablo 3 still having a truck of bugs (fixed 1 per month) and imbalanced content til expansion pack.... just think about it

#12 Quorthon

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:10 AM

View PostBladeXXL, on 17 April 2014 - 04:57 AM, said:

I am amazed by folks who think they can do it better without having any idea of the business or programming.
Especially those who are Founders and have seen the difference in content volume between May 2012 and now (a little more then 2 years of development).

Go and buy a completed game with 4-5 years development like Diablo 3 still having a truck of bugs (fixed 1 per month) and imbalanced content til expansion pack.... just think about it

Putting balance and in game bugs aside, using ESC key as back, cancel is common in almost every app. Situation similar to Windows 8.0 Start button: you expect things to work as always, but instead you get annoyed as hell.

#13 Zuesacoatl

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 614 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:53 AM

View PostCoyotebrother, on 17 April 2014 - 04:38 AM, said:

I am amazed by folks who think that PGI even gives a flying Rat about what the community would like to see implimented. Especially those who are Founders and have seen the history of PGI's lack of concern for it's player base.
I have seen the exact opposite during my time here. Sure the ball has been dropped at times, but the state of the game since I bought the founders pack has come a LONG way. I am amazed at the animosity and grudges people can hold, especially those who are old enough to be considered adults.

#14 Cest7

• Philanthropist
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationMaple Ditch

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:26 PM

Not being able to Esc out of the social window is a big boo-boo.

Is there one guy working on the UI?

#15 A banana in the tailpipe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:43 PM

This has happened to me once and I didn't even realize it until reading this thread. I'll try to recreate it the next time I play.

#16 Grendel408

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:54 PM

View PostZuesacoatl, on 15 April 2014 - 09:46 PM, said:

Hey PGI,

I just thought that maybe you guys/gals could add the normal function of the ESC key backing out of any screen/menu you happen to be in. I hit it all the time when I wish to back out of the current screen, especially the social tab. I have noticed that both my brothers, 2 sons, and Father all have the habit of hitting that key when they wish to leave the screen they are on, only to be greeted with no response. This would be a not so high up on the list fix, but my god would it just make navigation SOOOO much easier.

^^^^ THIS! LOL! On top of this... can we get the function of when selecting "Checkout" in the Mechlab config screen that is sends us back to the root Mechlab (Mech selection) screen? That'd be really awesome.

#17 Tigreen

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 56 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:52 AM

You all are forgetting something... They think this is a pay per click game.

#18 Zuesacoatl

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 614 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:49 AM

View PostTigreen, on 19 April 2014 - 10:52 AM, said:

yes because the fact you can play this game and be successful without dropping a dime proves that statement. ...

#19 Blue Drache

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 139 posts
  • LocationSkei's Haven, Krynn

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:01 AM

View PostZuesacoatl, on 19 April 2014 - 11:49 AM, said:

View PostTigreen, on 19 April 2014 - 10:52 AM, said:

yes because the fact you can play this game and be successful without dropping a dime proves that statement. ...

You missed the point. This was a dig on the ineptitude that PGI constantly and consistently shows with its clumsy, clunky and very user unfriendly interface. Yes, there have been strides, but when you're missing basic features that are in 99% of other programs ... it makes you wonder what was in the bong the day they dreamed up this horrible clicktastic piece of junk.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users