Replace Turrets With Urban 'mechs

16 replies to this topic

Poll: Replace turrets with Urban 'Mechs (59 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the turrests in Assault mode be replaced with Urban 'Mechs?

1. Yes, do this! (28 votes [47.46%])

Percentage of vote: 47.46%

2. No, turrets are fine (5 votes [8.47%])

Percentage of vote: 8.47%

3. Why not both? (23 votes [38.98%])

Percentage of vote: 38.98%

4. Meh, I don't really care, but feel the need to vote anyway. (3 votes [5.08%])

Percentage of vote: 5.08%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 LordSkippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 451 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:06 AM

Replace the turrets in Assault mode with Urban 'Mechs. Even if they just stand there and don't move, they should be Urbies.

cdlord also suggested this here, but post was not in the form of a poll.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:21 AM

Might be slightly overpowered...

#3 Glaive-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 951 posts
  • LocationIn a cave

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:22 AM

I wouldn't replace all turrets with Urbies, but it would be kinda cool to have a few of them along with turrets for base defense. Would also be cool if this were map specific (more Urbies on River City :lol: )

But honestly I'd rather drop in an Urban Mech myself.

#4 Daekar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:46 AM

In the absence of pilotable Urbies, this would be great. A bit-o-immersion and some smiles to go with it never hurt anybody. :lol:

#5 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:23 AM

Greetings all,

As we get closer to CW and Planetary warfare these elements will/may become player owned. Specifically the Merc's can capture a location and upgrade it's defensives, this includes the Turrets, barriers, walls and other objects not yet defined.

- The Turrets serve a role at this time, mostly for telemetry on how they are working with what weapons systems they mount.
- They will be upgradable, with as many systems as that unit has "Arm Points".
- They should be repositionable depending on their function and linking systems. (Power/Sensors)

If you want to make the Turrets something else that has a mobility role, make them tracked or wheeled Ai units. Tanks and wheeled support vehicles played a significant role in most BattleTech battles. Urban warfare was one of the domains for these vehicles. [creating an Urbie for chuckles is fine, but not for a true defensive element]
- each Mech Regiment had many elements that were tracked and wheeled units, both support and front line.

So, no to changing the turrets to an element that can't do what our current items can or will be able to.

~ Bryan had mentioned they were discussing being able to "call in" a small support element to a location to fight or defend it. So Ai tanks might get a showing?

9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 17 April 2014 - 08:26 AM.

#6 Danghen Woolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 339 posts
  • LocationHarlech, Romulus, Outreach

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:55 AM

I think turrets should be replaced with PBI squads using shoulder mounted SRMs (Maybe even infernos), automatic rifles, and fixed AC/2 or AC/5 field guns...

#7 GrandLocomon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:23 AM

Base defending urbies with AI?

BRILLIANT!

#8 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:06 AM

View PostLordSkippy, on 16 April 2014 - 11:06 AM, said:

Replace the turrets in Assault mode with Urban 'Mechs. Even if they just stand there and don't move, they should be Urbies.

Thank you for the honorable mention! :D Voted yes! :P

#9 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:10 PM

Greetings all,

Reference the Ground Troops in this Battle Tech Verse;

Most Houses, Factions, Organizations fielded these troops in conjunction with there Mechanized elements. The majority of larger organizations had plenty of Ground Forces and used them for local security, clearing areas, Combat troops and supplemental units during Battles. (Depending on if they could get Battle Mech's transported as fast as the Combat Troops.)

A normal breakdown of Forces looked like this:

BattleMech Corps - consists of BattleMech forces
  • Armored Corps - consists of all other combat vehicles, including tanks, hover, and wheeled vehicles
  • Infantry Corps - consists of Jump Troops, Mechanized Infantry, and Special Forces units
  • Artillery Corps - controls the Long Tom and Sniper artillery
  • Combat Engineer Corps - responsible for construction and destruction duties
  • Supply Service - integrates with the Quartermaster Corps to ensure proper delivery of munitions and materiel to units
  • Transportation Service - provide assistance to the Supply Service to transport goods and personnel.

Normally supplementing the actual soldiers on the ground were the wheeled, tracked, and hover units. With either providing transport and fire support or straight fire support. The weapons load out of the ground forces consisted of many items that could be directed at BattleMechs. And given the small, comparatively, size of a single solder, were difficult targets for a Mech to engage. And one of the main reasons most slow Mech's relied on Mg's and Flamers to deal with them.

The areas we see on our current Maps that contain turrets could easily be supplemented with embedded Infantry, fortified structures that these Infantry could engage close Enemy Mech's. The weapon systems that should be available to them could be almost anything, from energy, ballistic, to missiles, and only the firing arc would be a concern.

The turrets we have now are only the first of many additional and new ground elements to be included in MWO, they are providing technical and telemetry info for PGI so other systems can be designed.

9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 21 April 2014 - 02:11 PM.

#10 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:44 PM

View PostLordSkippy, on 16 April 2014 - 11:06 AM, said:

Hmm, this topic looks familiar.

#11 LordSkippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 451 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:30 AM

View PostEscef, on 26 April 2014 - 09:44 PM, said:

Hmm, this topic looks familiar.

Apologies, but I blame the search function. Search for turrets and urbanmechs turned up cdlord's, but not yours. If it did, then I would have voted in yours instead of creating a new one.

#12 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:58 PM

View PostLordSkippy, on 27 April 2014 - 07:30 AM, said:

Apologies, but I blame the search function. Search for turrets and urbanmechs turned up cdlord's, but not yours. If it did, then I would have voted in yours instead of creating a new one.

S'alright.

#13 depreciator

• PipPip
  • Private First Class
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:12 PM

tiny vehicules as tanks & car & armored suit bring back the problem of damaging by push crush walk on them ,
then get an explosion by land mines too & the damages under (& top) & the heat
all of this is not actually codded in the game
worst of all little infantry or armored suit can occup building houses who must be destructible then
and if ever something more tiny is pilotable then i make us more near than the mechwarrior4 gameplay who have the problem than playable infantry cannot getin houses & it was not fun to just climb without cover = very frustrating and cutting the immersion

#14 Sagedabluemage

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:02 PM

This would sooo piss of alex XD he doesnt want to design it and never will XD

#15 Cart

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 189 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 10:11 AM

Hehehe...like! :unsure:
Even if they would move...at the avarage speed of an Urbie...welll...it means almost the same as stationary... :P
If they'd just stay close to the base...I'd say let's raplace the laser-turrets with Urbies...both 10 Damage (If you ignore the small-laser). the AC/10 has a higher chance to miss, but a higher pinpoint-damage on the other side...

#16 Raggedyman

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationFreedonia Institute of Mech Husbandry

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:11 PM

Possibly the best idea that I've heard all week.

#17 Ragnor Lothbrok

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:32 AM

Not really bothered either way... but I would like the Devs to fix turrets; ECM apparently has no effect whatsoever on turrets as they can lock and shoot you irrespective. I thought this was supposed to be fixed?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users