- - - - -

The Speaking Dead, Take The Challenge!

46 replies to this topic

#1 Jonny Slam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationLike I would tell you!

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:23 PM

Well back a few weeks now and just loving it as always! and I am even making some kills and staying alive now and then as well.

In fact I find that I am seldom on the end of any hassle via chat any more, and do you know what I have noticed in the blessed silence?

Jerks or sore losers hassling the next bunch of new pilots relentlessly, most often their own team mates! I got to tell you this does not help anyone, and it inevitably brings the game vibe down and chases pilots off. Besides, you should be happy with new pilots like I am, who else can I kill?

All jokes aside, this is pointless and crappy behavior, and frankly the MWO community is better then that.

So I am here to invite you to Jonny's Speaking Dead challenge:

-If you buy it and you are spectating don't say anything negative to the pilots still playing... but wait that is not the hard part!

-Instead, bite you tongue (or fingers) and wait until they do something good, and then compliment them on it. encourage them!

-And if there is some uber-pilot from hell racking up the kills? Tell them what a badass round they are having.

-And finally, the real challenge? keep it up for three days, that's it, not forever, just do your best to meet the challenge for just three days.

So, can you encourage noobs, praise killers, and keep the trash out for three days? Will you take the challenge? Dare you?

Even if you don't ever post in chat, take three days to hand out some friendly praise and advice, I promise if you really make a effort to do it at least once every 5 or 6 matches, it will result in a smile on your face, and you will start looking for people to give props to. It will improve your playing experience!

Don't believe me? well take up the challenge and see if I am wrong, I really hope you all will!

Jonny

Edited by Jonny Slam, 16 April 2014 - 03:23 PM.

#2 Jonny Slam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:26 PM

I Jonny Slam do hear by take the challenge! I will report back here in three days with the results.

I will be using my main account, "Johnny Slam" so feel free to keep me honest!

#3 LauLiao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:27 PM

No negativitiy? No name calling? No Sarcasm? Sure THAT'll work you dumb n00b!

Just kidding. I actually really like this idea. Sign me up as the first participant in the Jonny Slam Challenge!

#4 Jonny Slam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:30 PM

View PostLauLiao, on 16 April 2014 - 03:27 PM, said:

No negativitiy? No name calling? No Sarcasm? Sure THAT'll work you dumb n00b!

Just kidding. I actually really like this idea. Sign me up as the first participant in the Jonny Slam Challenge!

All right! clock is ticking good luck!

#5 Bartholomew bartholomew

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,250 posts
  • LocationInner sphere drop point

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:54 PM

Been there, done that. Mostly I use chat to call out what someone sees but does not have time to type for themselves after I die.

#6 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:02 PM

This is very much what it's like at the Seraphim pretty much all the time. Some of us are more fiery than others, but when people on your team do good, they get accolades and attaboys in teamspeak all the time.

#7 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:42 PM

Good to see. The game always benefits from encouragement and teamwork.

#8 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:47 PM

Very good thought, and would like to see more people doing stuff like this. :P Except the biting fingers part, especially with sharp teeth. :P

#9 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:51 PM

View Postluxebo, on 16 April 2014 - 05:47 PM, said:

Very good thought, and would like to see more people doing stuff like this. :P Except the biting fingers part, especially with sharp teeth. :P

Posted Image

#10 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:11 PM

Call me old fashioned, but I just think this is good policy for interacting with your fellow humans in general.

Hell, I still say "gl, hf" before every match, and I really mean it- I hope nobody gets stuck on terrain or crashes, and I especially hope everyone has fun. It is a game, after all.

#11 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:43 PM

I LIKE this thread! :P

#12 Mahws

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:02 PM

This thread is good thread. It's odd, but even just one player being nice in chat can change the whole atmosphere of the game.

Far as I'm concerned the only real uses for chat after death are:
a) Informing your allies of what killed you and where
b) Letting your allies know of any vulnerable enemies
c) Letting a new player know if his weapons are out of range/within minimum range/not locked
d) Congratulating players on super sweet kills and last stands
e) Reminding your team of the cap counter in conquest (Can't count the amount of times I've forgotten I was playing conquest and would have lost the game if a dead team mate didn't remind me to cap)

Edited by Mahws, 16 April 2014 - 07:02 PM.

#13 Jonny Slam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:10 PM

View PostMahws, on 16 April 2014 - 07:02 PM, said:

This thread is good thread. It's odd, but even just one player being nice in chat can change the whole atmosphere of the game.

Far as I'm concerned the only real uses for chat after death are:
a) Informing your allies of what killed you and where
:P Letting your allies know of any vulnerable enemies
c) Letting a new player know if his weapons are out of range/within minimum range/not locked
d) Congratulating players on super sweet kills and last stands
e) Reminding your team of the cap counter in conquest (Can't count the amount of times I've forgotten I was playing conquest and would have lost the game if a dead team mate didn't remind me to cap)

Yes, I agree just one upbeat person can set a whole tone for the match, and really what does it cost to point out a good shot or move?

Well one night down and so far so good who else is going to sign up?

#14 100mile

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationAlegro: Ramora Province fighting Pirates. and the occasional Drac

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:33 PM

Outstanding Idea and one that my Unit is working on advocating. We are working on making sure our personnel don't act negatively towards anyone in chat (to be honest may not always be successful) but working on it. Our command group feels it should be a common courtesy given to people to be treated well even in a game.... :P
Unfortunately not everybody in MWO feels this way... B) But if we have more people doing this type of thing we can at least lessen the impact of the Bad Apples...
I will see if I can meet this challenge on a personal basis... :P

#15 Parliment

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 160 posts
  • LocationBehind you ...go ahead and look I dare you.

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:38 PM

Im in
But still never trust a Fedrat !

#16 Turist0AT

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:48 PM

Being nice to a fellow man should be part of anyones routin protocoll, in game or off.

Challenge not accepted because it is completed long ago.

Edited by Turist0AT, 16 April 2014 - 10:50 PM.

#17 The Dreaded Baron B Killer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:48 PM

my own team mate shot me because i was "too slow and and risking the team"..

he was in a commando and I'm in my trusty atlas...

he shot me a second time... took all my will power not to alpha him a new ****...

#18 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:00 AM

Seems I've been partaking in this challenge for half a year already! :P

Realisticly I don't see this effort directly changing the behaviour of the actual type of people mentioned. However if enough people adopt a pro-active positive attitude towards their team mates it will become an actual social norm within MWO. Which means idiots who lash out in a negative way are likely to get a big backlash themselves.

It already happens sometimes, I sometimes speak up against some of those people myself (usually when I'm dead myself). It's a pity you can't see the result stats of dead players (minus the final tally of assists) during the game. Very often those abrasive donkeys had abysmal results themselves, often worse than the person they're harping on. It would be fun to throw back into their face.

Of course they'll claim to have been ganked regardless of their superior skill because 'the rest of the team let them down'. Sorry Captain Derp, the rest of the team did not favour your uncommunicated winning strategy of running straight at the enemy across open terrain.

Posted Image

#19 Petard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 251 posts
  • LocationGawler, South Australia

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:01 AM

I LIKE this thread too, and try to adopt this approach all the time, being a long-time player of real world team sports, I totally appreciate the power of positivity, it definitely improves morale among your team....Having said all that, I am also human, and while I am always ready to give people a bit of a pat on the back, every now and then, when somebody pulls a real d**k move, I have been known to point it out to them as well....I do believe criticism should be constructive, and try to do that, but every now and then, while the red mist of battle is still clouding my eyes, sorry, but sometimes I am not as politically correct as I should be.

Apologies to anybody I may have offended in the past.... :P

Anyhow Jonny Slam, cheers on a great thread, and even more cheers for a great attitude mate.... :P

Good Hunting.

#20 Remarius

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 820 posts
  • LocationBrighton, England

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:22 AM

Another version of this is to politely suggest that the pilot may find themselves more effective if not in 3rd person view (presuming they were doing badly) or mentioning politely the minimum ranges on weapons they're firing. It may just be panic but I find myself ghosting people firing under range with ppc/LRM's or outside range with MPL etc occasionally and have to presume they're not new from the fits they're running. It doesn't take much time and effort to politely warn them and hopefully they'll improve next time.

And yes Petard I suspect most of us are guilty of that. :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users