17 replies to this topic

#1 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:35 PM

(I wrote this because I like the Thunderbolt chassis and felt a little lore would be nice. Not having to grind to get the new variant was also pretty sweet.)

Is your mechbay empty? Are you new? Maybe you're not so new but could expand your horizons a bit. You're in luck!

April 18th through the 22nd, 3050 (51?), Earthwerks Incorporated in cooperation with Blackstone Battlemechs Limited will ship to you a brand (cough) used (cough) Thunderbolt TDR 9S. This baby comes stock with Magna 260 standard engine rigged at 64.8 kph but you can always swap that engine if you feel the need.

Remember this is a Thunderbolt, and unlike many mechs it is not limited to simply one primary weapon! For long-range punch the TDR-9S wields a Fusigon Longtooth ER (Extended Range) PPC (Particle Projection Cannon). As ranges close, the Thunderbolt is able to bring three Diverse Optics Type 18 Medium Lasers and a Bical SRM-6 missile launcher into play.

Posted Image
(Truth be told, log out and log back in once the challenge page says it's complete. Challenge page here.

Finally, for anti-infantry use, the Thunderbolt has two Voelkers 200 Machine Guns and its twin Purity L-series Flamers. Pre-built in is a Voelkers Parasol Anti-Missile System and an extra mounting space for a 2nd AMS! Encased in 13.5 tons of armor, this heavy chassis started its career in 2491 as an assault mech. Its classification may have changed but its variety of potential uses have not!

Don't worry; the rumors are true! It's not just noted for having a roomy cockpit comparable to an Atlas or Battlemaster; it does! So on those extended missions know that you are living in comfort. Oscillating fan not included.

For the TDR-9S mech's default specs, click here. It comes with DHS!
Here's a simple two-button starter rebuild.

For more information... click here!

#2 SethAbercromby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:40 PM

Already seen it, very sad that I'll be away over the weekend but I should be able to squeeze those 5 wins into the 18th before I have to leave (or before I go to sleep :P ).

Thanks for supplying the not as free-roaming spirits among us about this (not actually an) Awesome deal.

Edited by SethAbercromby, 16 April 2014 - 07:42 PM.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:44 PM

(Psst. If you're wondering.. I was a little pleased that the Thunderbolt did get at least one variant added with the recent release of new variants. Thunderbolts are among my favorite 65 ton mechs. Also, I usually see announcements and sales long after they are announced because they often don't show up on the front page for hours after they are posted. Also knowing about this gives people a chance to plan ahead for it, and new players a goal to strive for.)

#4 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:48 PM

View PostKoniving, on 16 April 2014 - 07:44 PM, said:

(Psst. If you're wondering.. I was a little pleased that the Thunderbolt did get at least one variant added with the recent release of new variants. Thunderbolts are among my favorite 65 ton mechs. Also, I usually see announcements and sales long after they are announced because they often don't show up on the front page for hours after they are posted.

(That new Variant is also really cool. I still have to get my Phoenix variants into shape but that will definitely set me a new milestone to work for. Also, I just saw the deal because the title caught my eye while scrolling through the Forum.)

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:03 PM

Videos of similar Thunderbolts in action for those wanting some ideas.
Spoiler

Edited by Koniving, 16 April 2014 - 08:09 PM.

#6 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:13 PM

I do not know of many other mechs where I can just tank damage, where dead players comment on how well the T-bolts can take hits. That is without XL engines.

#7 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:15 PM

View PostBarkem Squirrel, on 16 April 2014 - 08:13 PM, said:

I do not know of many other mechs where I can just tank damage, where dead players comment on how well the T-bolts can take hits. That is without XL engines.

Since I optimized my Stalker 5S, it's not quite uncommon for me run around with both side torsos stripped, running with the pack to spot targets with my BAP or attempting to capture positions during conquest.

Edited by SethAbercromby, 16 April 2014 - 08:16 PM.

#8 Sarlic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:52 PM

My Bays full of Atlas could use some company. Great event.

#9 dr lao

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 278 posts
  • LocationWashington state

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:52 PM

Well I cant wait Id like to join up with no guns no galaxy with my two Elites and have some fun trying to snag a hero :P

#10 TinFoilHat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 261 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:02 PM

Thanks Kon. Hadn't seen this yet.

#11 Gasoline

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 338 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:16 AM

Heh, maybe you should officially take over announcements. Great write-up.

#12 MikeSteel

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSlovenia, Europe

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:38 AM

Nice challenge. Even tho there are busy holidays this weekend I'll sacrifice sleep for new mech :P

#13 Omaha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 559 posts
  • LocationAnywhere

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:39 AM

Good times ... good times ... Way to work it PGI! Gettin' in some practice as we speak.

Also very nice write up indeed!

#14 Cest7

• Philanthropist
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationMaple Ditch

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:57 AM

What is this, a repost?

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:17 AM

View PostCest7, on 17 April 2014 - 01:57 AM, said:

What is this, a repost?

Nah. I was pissed when the Smurfy list included a new Thunderbolt but the 'released' new variants included 2 lights, 2 mediums, and 2 assaults with NO heavies and no thunderbolt. So when I saw I was not only gonna get it after all but for free I was a bit excited. And since PGI oh so frequently abandons the lore at any and every whim (especially with weapon design), I felt the new player thread could use a little bit of it.

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:34 PM

Updated a bit.

#17 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:02 PM

Have to check my garage, my profile lists me as having completed the challenge. Took me 18 matches in jenner D (12 games 1 win 2 draws) and jenner F (6 games 5 wins). (krazy stats, all my wins went to the F)

This has been mentioned in another thread, the right torso energy mounts are high up and there are 2 ams hardpoints. Quite a flexible mech. *apparently the ss has energy mounts high up on the rt too

Edited by dragnier1, 20 April 2014 - 01:11 AM.

#18 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:32 AM

Phew, finished the event last minute (okay, hour) to get the 'Mech. I returned to my PC and the first thing I basically saw was
Posted Image

Edited by SethAbercromby, 22 April 2014 - 08:32 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users