The K2 And It's Itty Bitty Ppcs (And Other Weapon Scale Silliness).... Can We Please Get The Old Game Models Back?

BattleMechs Weapons General

470 replies to this topic

#301 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:24 PM

View PostSaxie, on 22 April 2014 - 09:14 PM, said:

Well I'm not arguing either point. However if thats the case you're going to put a huge cannon on a light? People would be outraged lol

and? Use it to absorb damage. too many count on borked hit registry for armor.. They will QQ if that is ever fixed, too. Yes. A 7 ton gun on a 20 ton mech should be rather large.

#302 GalaxyBluestar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:20 PM

View PostCaptain Stiffy, on 22 April 2014 - 08:35 PM, said:

I will forever and ever boycott Harmony Gold.

Posted Image

#303 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:22 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 22 April 2014 - 09:24 PM, said:

and? Use it to absorb damage. too many count on borked hit registry for armor.. They will QQ if that is ever fixed, too. Yes. A 7 ton gun on a 20 ton mech should be rather large.

Sorry, beyond PGI's programming capabilities (or logic).

#304 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:49 AM

View PostLyoto Machida, on 22 April 2014 - 10:22 PM, said:

Sorry, beyond PGI's programming capabilities (or logic).

but but but.... I can hope, right?

#305 Haakon Magnusson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 636 posts
  • LocationI have no idea, they keep resetting CW map

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:49 AM

View PostStaggerCheck, on 21 April 2014 - 12:48 PM, said:

I was disappointed when I got my new Thunderbolt this weekend. Quite literally, the Ultra AC/5 and other Autocannon representations for the left arm look like a barrel with a rectangular box attached to the back end of it. I was expecting more, or at least for PGI to conceptualize what the size of various weapons would be outside a Mech, and then try to keep things fairly similar in size from build to build... even if it meant adding to the original hit boxes. The way they've done the weapons on some Mechs seems rather 'Just get it done already', not really a solid effort at game emersion.

Oh well, it's not as if we all run around with vanity mirrors or something, but it would be nice eye candy for in the Mech Lab.
I think you hit the nails head... They wanted quick and dirty hit box changes. Easy way out, I hope art dept DID have a fit. Anyways why care about lights, they are not end content, right...

#306 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:53 AM

View PostHaakon Magnusson, on 23 April 2014 - 07:49 AM, said:

I think you hit the nails head... They wanted quick and dirty hit box changes. Easy way out, I hope art dept DID have a fit. Anyways why care about lights, they are not end content, right...

what I funny too, is I think this argument brings up another case for size hardpoints, inadvertently. The MinMax crwod will hate me for this, but look at the pic
Posted Image
Universal sized weapons kinda point out the poor reasoning in the current hardpoint system. Now Imagine that is the FS9-K with 3 energy hard points in the arms? There is a reason certain weapons would look so ludicrous on some mechs.....because in any sane world, they shouldn't be there.

#307 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:57 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 23 April 2014 - 07:53 AM, said:

what I funny too, is I think this argument brings up another case for size hardpoints, inadvertently. The MinMax crwod will hate me for this, but look at the pic
Posted Image
Universal sized weapons kinda point out the poor reasoning in the current hardpoint system. Now Imagine that is the FS9-K with 3 energy hard points in the arms? There is a reason certain weapons would look so ludicrous on some mechs.....because in any sane world, they shouldn't be there.

That'd be awesome though...because anyone who DID that would most likely get it shot off. Balanced. :)

#308 Haakon Magnusson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 636 posts
  • LocationI have no idea, they keep resetting CW map

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:00 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 22 April 2014 - 04:18 PM, said:

different manufacturers are fine. a 7 ton gun is still a 7 ton gun. Different manufacturers do not explain 10x size difference.
actually I have reversed my position, and I want the tiny weapons for my bigger mechs as well... Smaller hit boxes the better, all mechs should look the same blandness. It is wrong that opponents can figure out my layout from afar. We can finally get rid of those game play influencing ears from cats, they need to be same size as light let boxes.

Grrr or not! This whole thing started to really annoy me... Beer, quickly

#309 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:01 AM

Posted Image

I actually think that is awesome :). Maybe it is the anime fan in me, but robots with huge oversized weapons are cool LOL. I would support that.

#310 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:52 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 23 April 2014 - 08:01 AM, said:

I actually think that is awesome :). Maybe it is the anime fan in me, but robots with huge oversized weapons are cool LOL. I would support that.

So do you like the Ghetto Panther then?
Posted Image

#311 Dauphni

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 473 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:13 AM

View PostHaakon Magnusson, on 23 April 2014 - 08:00 AM, said:

actually I have reversed my position, and I want the tiny weapons for my bigger mechs as well... Smaller hit boxes the better, all mechs should look the same blandness. It is wrong that opponents can figure out my layout from afar. We can finally get rid of those game play influencing ears from cats, they need to be same size as light let boxes.

Grrr or not! This whole thing started to really annoy me... Beer, quickly

I totally agree, and I would actually like to go a bit further than that. All mechs should look like this:

Posted Image

That way they won't even be able to tell whether I'm in a Locust or an Atlas. It will be glorious!

Alternatively, we could turn everything into this:

Posted Image

#312 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:55 PM

Posted Image

That is actually the best argument I have heard yet for sized hardpoints, and almost makes me a huge fan of the idea.

View PostBishop Steiner, on 23 April 2014 - 08:52 AM, said:

So do you like the Ghetto Panther then?
Posted Image

I really like that Ghettanther, yes, but the PPC should replace the hand, not be under slung - I'm so annoyed by all of the slap-on arm weapons lately....

#313 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:59 PM

View PostCimarb, on 23 April 2014 - 12:55 PM, said:

That is actually the best argument I have heard yet for sized hardpoints, and almost makes me a huge fan of the idea.

I really like that Ghettanther, yes, but the PPC should replace the hand, not be under slung - I'm so annoyed by all of the slap-on arm weapons lately....

Panther had two battlefists, and an underslung PPC, so I retained that. I could go for a side mount though, I suppose.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 23 April 2014 - 01:03 PM.

#314 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:55 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 23 April 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

Panther had two battlefists, and an underslung PPC, so I retained that. I could go for a side mount though, I suppose.

Really?...... That's not how I remembered it :unsure:

Edit: I was thinking of the Wolfhound.... Shame on me...
Posted Image

Edited by Cimarb, 23 April 2014 - 02:07 PM.

#315 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:00 PM

View PostCimarb, on 23 April 2014 - 01:55 PM, said:

Really?...... That's not how I remembered it :unsure:

Edit: I was thinking of the Wolfhound.... Shame on me...
[img="http://www.sarna.net/wiki/images/5/5f/Wolfhound.jpg"][/img]

original 3025 art
Posted Image

#316 Prezimonto

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:02 PM

Has anyone taken a look at the gauss rifle on the new Thunderbolt chassis? It's puny in size. A weapon that needed a whole mech built around it again, and somehow it gets micro miniaturized to fit in to a machine gun slot on the arm of mech.

I want my Hollander eventually, and in this game there's no real need for one ever.

#317 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:47 PM

View PostPrezimonto, on 23 April 2014 - 02:02 PM, said:

Has anyone taken a look at the gauss rifle on the new Thunderbolt chassis? It's puny in size. A weapon that needed a whole mech built around it again, and somehow it gets micro miniaturized to fit in to a machine gun slot on the arm of mech.

I want my Hollander eventually, and in this game there's no real need for one ever.

Yup. Just one more log in the fire to fuel my crusade.

#318 Mavairo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:44 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 23 April 2014 - 02:47 PM, said:

Yup. Just one more log in the fire to fuel my crusade.

As a Tbolt pilot, let me just say, I find the ballistic arm Utterly Deplorable. Seriously, the ACs look like what to me MGs should look like.
MGs.... I guess I have 2 radio antennae sticking out of my mech's forearm.

When I put an Autcannon on or any big weapon I want it to look like a man's gun. I want it to look like what an AC does on a Jager, or Atlas.

None of this pansy crap

#319 Prezimonto

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:12 PM

View PostMavairo, on 23 April 2014 - 03:44 PM, said:

As a Tbolt pilot, let me just say, I find the ballistic arm Utterly Deplorable. Seriously, the ACs look like what to me MGs should look like.
MGs.... I guess I have 2 radio antennae sticking out of my mech's forearm.

When I put an Autcannon on or any big weapon I want it to look like a man's gun. I want it to look like what an AC does on a Jager, or Atlas.

None of this pansy crap

I know exactly what you're talking about. A huge weapon, should be and look like a huge weapon. If I take a mech built around a huge weapon, I want that to be a special event, and be a bad ass. I rather loath that we can pack massive weapons into tiny parts of mechs where they shouldn't fit. It makes all the mechs feel much less special.

#320 MATRAKA14

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 443 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:54 AM

I rather prefer they fix the mech sizes before weapon sizes.

Posted Image

Posted Image

But all the catapults look worse than before, especially the missile ones, the k2 is acceptable if you are not using ppcs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users