Gameplay

53 replies to this topic

#1 Rex Budman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 841 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:40 AM

This is an old complaint that probably has been stressed over and over again in the past, and I am ashamed to say I am a culprit of this when times get tough, but those people who keep saying that this game is WAR and balanced drops take away from immersion, never remember that wonderful F4 button.

Why is it that in my stompy robot simulator, I can hit F4 to peak around corners or lips and give information to my team about the opposition?

Wasn't the intention of TPV to show people a birds eye view of their hard earned mechs? If so why does it have to zoom out and survey the battlefield? Lol

#2 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:43 AM

While I dislike 3PV and never use it (except to see the back of my mech if I have a JJ thrust port question), I just think of it as a periscope when used like you describe.... Periscopes have been around for a very long time. This explanation helps me sleep at night at any rate...

#3 Rex Budman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 841 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:45 AM

View Postcdlord, on 17 April 2014 - 06:43 AM, said:

While I dislike 3PV and never use it (except to see the back of my mech if I have a JJ thrust port question), I just think of it as a periscope when used like you describe.... Periscopes have been around for a very long time. This explanation helps me sleep at night at any rate...

Hahaha I do that when I'm watching a very bad movie with many plot holes haha. Great Post :lol:

#4 CeeKay Boques

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:52 AM

I was under the impression that 3rd person was turned off for 12 v 12. And if you're not doing 12 v 12, who cares if you play the whole game in 3rd person, exploit all you want in PuG games, its there for your amusement.

PS: I am fully aware that playing the whole game in 3rd person is counterproductive to victory.

#5 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:04 AM

I don't remember ever tying to use it in a 12v12 match..... I think you're right though, somewhere it was said that it was turned off....

Private matches though, I can see it never bring used, especially in certain leagues.

#6 FlipOver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:10 AM

I never agreed with 3PV.
Stated time and time again that 3PV would give an advantage when well used.
PGI disabled it for 12-man battles but I still use it.

Have found it especially handy when getting hit by rapid AC fire, Press F4 and there goes the smoke and shaking, now I can fight back with ease.

This is one of many exploits that PGI is offering people.

If you have a dakka-dakka and you happen to find me as an enemy, fire at me and check if something starts blinking on top of my mech only to feel my AC20 against your ST armor.

3PV should only exist in training grounds or the tutorial and that's it.

I'll keep exploiting it since PGI has been informed ad-nauseam by myself and others, maybe they get their metrics about how bad it is and how they should remove it from the game.

#7 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:12 AM

I was strongly against 3rd person view. Now that it is in the game I often forget that it is there. I never use it and I almost never see anyone else using it. Perhaps it is just not a big deal.

#8 DEN_Ninja

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,097 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:13 AM

Only time I see third person used is when I see the (c) next to their mech, the throttle decays, and the Arms are locked.

Edited by Tichorius Davion, 17 April 2014 - 07:14 AM.

#9 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:14 AM

View PostRex Budman, on 17 April 2014 - 06:40 AM, said:

This is an old complaint that probably has been stressed over and over again in the past, and I am ashamed to say I am a culprit of this when times get tough, but those people who keep saying that this game is WAR and balanced drops take away from immersion, never remember that wonderful F4 button.

Why is it that in my stompy robot simulator, I can hit F4 to peak around corners or lips and give information to my team about the opposition?

Wasn't the intention of TPV to show people a birds eye view of their hard earned mechs? If so why does it have to zoom out and survey the battlefield? Lol

Shrug, it's just one of a few arguments. Thankfully, 3PV is so horrendously bad that it doesn't really make a difference. New players get out of it as fast as they can...and I almost NEVER see anyone else use it as anything besides a 'start of game look at my pretty mech' tool.

The 3/3/3/3 is offensive for more than just the 'immersive' reason. I think it'll make games stale, with people always gravitating towards either the heaviest mechs in their class or to the ECM 'mechs.

I'd much rather the mechs be balanced by class limitations than this 3/3/3/3 crap.

I think that 3/3/3/3 will be a more BORING experience, taking a lot of the unknown out of matches. I don't like that. Not everyone is me.

Edited by Ghost Badger, 17 April 2014 - 07:15 AM.

#10 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:15 AM

I like 3PV, lets me spot noobs off the bat and get a quick kill, then kindly let them know that 1PV is where its at. I also like to look at my mech while im running in the beginning of a match, as I take alot of time to find the right camo pattern and colors for all 80 something of my mechs.
I have never used it during a match for any advantage, nor have I seen it used in ths way. Yes it is turned off for 12 mans.

#11 CMetz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 289 posts
  • LocationCortlandt Manor, NY

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:16 AM

Honestly, nothing says "kill me" more than a blinking red light over your head when you think you're in cover. They're really visible. The members of my unit see one, report it to the rest of the lance, and you can bet that person is about to get flanked or surrounded. I don't see much of a problem with people using it because more often then not I see it lead to a quick death.

#12 DEN_Ninja

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,097 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:17 AM

View PostCMetz, on 17 April 2014 - 07:16 AM, said:

Honestly, nothing says "kill me" more than a blinking red light over your head when you think you're in cover. They're really visible. The members of my unit see one, report it to the rest of the lance, and you can bet that person is about to get flanked or surrounded. I don't see much of a problem with people using it because more often then not I see it lead to a quick death.

Nothing screws over your team like the one guy with red dot hovering over the hill and then you see the red smoke :lol:

#13 GoManGo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 353 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:19 AM

I love 3rd person view when I play MechWarrior4 but the Devs chopped what 3rd person view was like from the start for MWO dang *******. They=Devs should have made 3rd person view fully functional like in past MechWarrior PC games and gave 3pv its own drop queue.

But no lets do 3rd person view half assed and throw it in the game I had to learn halfass development is standard policy with PGI/IGP.

Edited by GoManGo, 17 April 2014 - 07:20 AM.

#14 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:20 AM

3pv was removed from 12v12 when Bryan made a loaded poll on the forums, which was quickly closed when people started to realize that they were not just voting for no 3pv in 12v12 but also voting for 3pv to be used in PUG matches and started to remove their votes.

#15 Fut

• Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:28 AM

View PostRex Budman, on 17 April 2014 - 06:40 AM, said:

Umm.. Because PGI went temporarily insane when they designed and implemented 3PV.

#16 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:43 AM

View PostGoManGo, on 17 April 2014 - 07:19 AM, said:

I love 3rd person view when I play MechWarrior4 but the Devs chopped what 3rd person view was like from the start for MWO dang *******. They=Devs should have made 3rd person view fully functional like in past MechWarrior PC games and gave 3pv its own drop queue.

But no lets do 3rd person view half assed and throw it in the game I had to learn halfass development is standard policy with PGI/IGP.

LOL NO.... 3PV is exactly what is should be. Training wheels and a crutch to rid one's self of ASAP.

#17 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:50 AM

View PostTichorius Davion, on 17 April 2014 - 07:17 AM, said:

Nothing screws over your team like the one guy with red dot hovering over the hill and then you see the red smoke :lol:

My lance sees the Blinking Red Halo of Derp over a MEch, peeking, we like to set up a kill box nearby, for when some people come to kill the n00b. They can make great bait for an ambush.

#18 Sable

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 924 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:59 AM

LOL this thread is hilarious, people saying 3rd person view is exploiting??? Maybe for the opposing team as they focus in on you for being dumb enough to give away your position.

Others saying pgi did a halfass job instead of making it like MW4s 3rd person view?? Guess they weren't around for the rage spewed on the forum.

No one uses 3rd person view except new people. I don't remember the last time i've seen someone use it except to look at their mech at the start of the match.

#19 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:01 AM

The fact there is a visible drone with a visible blinky light makes me feel at least a bit better about its presence, because its hard to be a ninja with blinky lights yelling "I'M HERRRRREEEEE!" Fortunately 12mans don't have it and I'm guessing that the private matches will have the option to disable it. So really its not a big deal.

If anything they should at least add the mini map to the 3rd person view because it mostly only hurts new players who start to wander off away from friendlies without realizing it.

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 17 April 2014 - 08:02 AM.

#20 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:03 AM

View PostSable, on 17 April 2014 - 07:59 AM, said:

LOL this thread is hilarious, people saying 3rd person view is exploiting??? Maybe for the opposing team as they focus in on you for being dumb enough to give away your position.

Others saying pgi did a halfass job instead of making it like MW4s 3rd person view?? Guess they weren't around for the rage spewed on the forum.

No one uses 3rd person view except new people. I don't remember the last time i've seen someone use it except to look at their mech at the start of the match.

Good thing people like you jump some posts. Makes what I do rare and therefore more of an advantage when I use my dakka-dakka.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users