56 replies to this topic

#1 Dracol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:57 AM

Has anyone considered what will happen if free mechs are giving away after 3/3/3/3 is implemented?

Dumping a ton of mechs into the player base all of the same weight class will most certainly affect queue times.

So the question is, will projected weight times of a particular weight class going to be short enough for PGI to do a free mech give away again?
Or (and I really hope this is not the case) are we seeing the last chance to get a free mech?

#2 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:00 PM

This is what's called the Law of Unintended Consequences.

It's not just going to be for free mechs but every mech that is released is going to clog the queue for that weight class, further compounding wait times and another example of why 3/3/3/3 is just bad.

I can see it now " WTF PGI? I keep getting time-outs when launching with (insert new hotness here)"

Well, you should have bought it early with MC, because now that it's CBills, everyone can have it.

Edited by Roadbeer, 17 April 2014 - 12:01 PM.

#3 Madw0lf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 367 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:01 PM

View PostDracol, on 17 April 2014 - 11:57 AM, said:

Has anyone considered what will happen if paid mechs are sold after 3/3/3/3 is implemented?

Dumping a ton of mechs into the player base all of the same weight class will most certainly affect queue times.

So the question is, will projected weight times of a particular weight class going to be short enough for PGI to do new mechs anymore?
Or (and I really hope this is not the case) are we seeing the last chance to get a new mech?

Works without the "free" part too. ^_^

Thats one thing we really have to wait an see with 3/3/3/3, but I doubt itll be a problem.

View PostRoadbeer, on 17 April 2014 - 12:00 PM, said:

It's not just going to be for free mechs but every mech that is released is going to clog the queue for that weight class, further compounding wait times and another example of why 3/3/3/3 is just bad.

I can see it now " WTF PGI? I keep getting time-outs when launching with (insert new hotness here)"

I cant wait for it to not be nearly as bad as you think it will be. I may be proven wrong, but Id love to be proven right.

#4 Dracol

• The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:02 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 17 April 2014 - 12:00 PM, said:

Well, you should have bought it early with MC, because now that it's CBills, everyone can have it.

Maybe this would encourage PGI to release two mechs at a time of varying weight classes.....

#5 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:03 PM

View PostMadw0lf, on 17 April 2014 - 12:01 PM, said:

I cant wait for it to not be nearly as bad as you think it will be. I may be proven wrong, but Id love to be proven right.

Dude, you're not new here. When was the last time a new mech was released that it wasn't (insert new mech), (insert new mech) everywhere?

#6 Madw0lf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 367 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:08 PM

View PostDracol, on 17 April 2014 - 12:02 PM, said:

Maybe this would encourage PGI to release two mechs at a time of varying weight classes.....

That would be pretty awesome.

View PostRoadbeer, on 17 April 2014 - 12:03 PM, said:

Dude, you're not new here. When was the last time a new mech was released that it wasn't (insert new mech), (insert new mech) everywhere?

I meant about how bad you think 3/3/3/3 is going to be ^_^

#7 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:09 PM

Kintaro... because it was the Koretaro for a bit.

#8 BARBAR0SSA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:11 PM

if they had a little sidebar showing the # of mechs per weightclass in queue...that would help a lot, if I saw mediums were missing a bunch I'd jump in 1 then.

#9 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:13 PM

View Postshad0w4life, on 17 April 2014 - 12:11 PM, said:

if they had a little sidebar showing the # of mechs per weightclass in queue...that would help a lot, if I saw mediums were missing a bunch I'd jump in 1 then.

Heavily requested (especially for 12-mans) and has yet to be implemented.

#10 East Indy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationPacifica Training School, waiting for BakPhar shares to rise

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:16 PM

Kind of like how amusement parks don't make any money when they premiere rides because lines can be 1-2 hours long.

Oh, wait, that doesn't happen.

Edit: People adapt. If they really want to try something out, they'll endure wait times and savor the experience. Others will take advantage of traffic patterns and live it up where attention isn't.

Edited by East Indy, 17 April 2014 - 12:24 PM.

#11 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:20 PM

New mech releases (not necessarily hero) tend to flood the field on release day particularly on the regular C-bill release.

When the Phoenix Pack was released, virtually EVERYONE THAT HAD THE PACK, was fielding a PP mech.

This is not a random phenomenon. It's a fact on virtually every release. I had stated that as an issue when the 3/3/3/3 issue was initially brought forth. This would be far less of an issue with a tonnage based system, but it would be imperfect (someone would need to make a sacrifice when a new heavy and/or assault was the new mech of the month).

Edited by Deathlike, 17 April 2014 - 12:21 PM.

#12 Flying Blind

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 776 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:11 PM

Huginn and Kintorso come immediately to mind.

#13 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:13 PM

View PostFlying Blind, on 17 April 2014 - 01:11 PM, said:

Huginn and Kintorso come immediately to mind.

Huggin, being a Hero mech, doesn't really count as it's MC only.
Kintorso... yeah, I'll give you that one.

#14 Flying Blind

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 776 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:16 PM

Just to note: I'm not disagreeing with you. The thought of a mech like the firestarter or victor being released under 3x4 is a bit scary.

#15 L Y N X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 629 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:17 PM

Don't go dissin' my Kintaro... It's a fine mech in the hands of a capable pilot.

I think they are doing this to get significant larger population on weekends that PGI want to monitor data from recent changes.

#16 Butane9000

• Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:22 PM

View PostDracol, on 17 April 2014 - 11:57 AM, said:

Has anyone considered what will happen if free mechs are giving away after 3/3/3/3 is implemented?

So the question is, will projected weight times of a particular weight class going to be short enough for PGI to do a free mech give away again?
Or (and I really hope this is not the case) are we seeing the last chance to get a free mech?

I'd like to start seeing more like special C-bill rewards.

Like win 5 matches and get a bonus 1.5 Million C-bills.

They could also go with a "win a free mech bay" or allow us to choose one mech out of 4 using a system similar to the original founders packages if you got the Elite.

#17 Flying Blind

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 776 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:24 PM

I love Kintaros, and I leveled them all to master during the time they were all CT. Love them or hate them, they were messed up when they first hit. That and calling them Kintorso is high-larry-us.

#18 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:27 PM

View Post7ynx, on 17 April 2014 - 01:17 PM, said:

Don't go dissin' my Kintaro... It's a fine mech in the hands of a capable pilot.

It only applied to their initial hitboxes.

With that said, I don't see them fielded too often, but I could say the same for the "Trebuchet meta".

#19 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:28 PM

It's like a beer company giving away free beer on dead week in college? Does the number of DUIs or Public Intox go up?

#20 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:30 PM

View PostButane9000, on 17 April 2014 - 01:22 PM, said:

I'd like to start seeing more like special C-bill rewards.

Like win 5 matches and get a bonus 1.5 Million C-bills.

They could also go with a "win a free mech bay" or allow us to choose one mech out of 4 using a system similar to the original founders packages if you got the Elite.

This is a very good idea and would greatly alleviate the possible traffic jams.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users