• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:23 AM

Cicadas any good?

One word:

Yes.

Try to fit the biggest possible XL engine in them and fit as much Medium Pulse Lasers as possible and you have a Medium, as fast as most Lights, with way more armor and way more punch.

Edited by Iqfish, 18 April 2014 - 06:24 AM.

#42 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:30 AM

View Posto0Marduk0o, on 18 April 2014 - 06:22 AM, said:

Read the full text, not only the quoted part. :unsure:
Their stretch-goal is exact tonnage matching and they said it is met and coming the same time with launch module.

There are 3 things. Weight class limits, weight class matching and tonnage matching between mechs in both teams of a certain weight class.

Well, I missed that one. ;)

But then again, all I can say is ... WTF?!!! Team compositions will be even staler than the already stale bread that I was expecting.

Edited by Mystere, 18 April 2014 - 06:30 AM.

#43 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:46 AM

View Posto0Marduk0o, on 18 April 2014 - 06:22 AM, said:

See above, there are enough mechs left between 40 and 55 to pick them. :unsure:

But there are only 4 40 ton mechs in the game. You NEED another person running a Cicada to be matched with them. Unlike, say, 50 tons where there are more Hunchbacks alone than there are choices in Cicada. Plus Trebuchets and Centurions. So more chance to find another 50 tonner. 55 Tons is just glutted with 4 different mechs, each with 3+ variants. So it is more likely you will be matched with another 55 tonner than with a 50 or less.

#44 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:04 AM

View PostDavers, on 18 April 2014 - 05:51 AM, said:

Well, the MM will try to find another mech of same tonnage. But as to how successful that will be? Currently there is only 4 40 ton variants compared to 15 55 ton variants, so it will be harder to match Cicadas than Shadowhawks.

I see plenty of CDA-3Ms on the battlefield, I am sure those guys will usually get matched.

#45 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:00 AM

View PostDavers, on 18 April 2014 - 06:46 AM, said:

But there are only 4 40 ton mechs in the game. You NEED another person running a Cicada to be matched with them. Unlike, say, 50 tons where there are more Hunchbacks alone than there are choices in Cicada. Plus Trebuchets and Centurions. So more chance to find another 50 tonner. 55 Tons is just glutted with 4 different mechs, each with 3+ variants. So it is more likely you will be matched with another 55 tonner than with a 50 or less.

It should be fine when your 55t is matched with another 55t. :unsure:
I see no problem when your 40t mech is matched with a 45-50t one if the MM finds no proper 40t mech.

#46 3rdworld

• 3,562 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:04 AM

Cicada is kinda meh. Not bad but not that great either.

Generally anything it can do, another mech can do better. But it is pretty versatile.

#47 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:07 AM

View Post3rdworld, on 18 April 2014 - 08:04 AM, said:

Generally anything it can do, another mech can do better. But it is pretty versatile.

But other mechs are more versatile? :unsure:

#48 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:10 AM

View PostMystere, on 18 April 2014 - 06:30 AM, said:

But then again, all I can say is ... WTF?!!! Team compositions will be even staler than the already stale bread that I was expecting.

This all only works for the random public queues. MW offers so many options, matches can be totally different, even if you know what weight classes the other team has. Furthermore is doesn't feel like Mechwarrior for me when almost all games are assault fests. :unsure:
You still have all choices in private matches.

#49 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:24 AM

View Posto0Marduk0o, on 18 April 2014 - 08:10 AM, said:

This all only works for the random public queues. MW offers so many options, matches can be totally different, even if you know what weight classes the other team has. Furthermore is doesn't feel like Mechwarrior for me when almost all games are assault fests. :unsure:

I can assure you that with me around, none of my matches will be all-assault fests. ;) :rolleyes:

View Posto0Marduk0o, on 18 April 2014 - 08:10 AM, said:

You still have all choices in private matches.

Private Matches = eSports. I did not come here for that. I'm (still) here for Community Warfare. I'm here to crush the souls of all you freeborns!

#50 Corbon Zackery

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:48 AM

No one but me really knows how to run a cicada successfully. The Cicada is a light mech hunter. Your job is to keep the pesky lights off the main force and you can do that very successfully with speeds up to 147kph with speed tweek.

The 2A has 6 energy hardpoints all in the LT, RT, CT So you can slap 6 small pulse lasers on it and with the weapons tight convergence blow off a light mech leg in one or 2 shots.

The 2B has 5 energy hardpoints LA, RA, CT thus 5 Medium lasers is the way to go giving you speed 240m fire power and devastating alpha strike capability.

The 3C is the enigma of the group due to its weak weight and weak hard points. I run a slower standard eng. 4 MG 1 ER PPC mech. I use it to knock out enemy ECM mechs at range. while the MG provide critical support for attacking teammates. It is the weakest of all the cicadas and I played around with every type of configuration from Gauss, AC 20, AC 10, AC 5, AC 2. For the 40tons of weight you have the 7ton ER PPC gives you the best bang for the buck.

The 3M well it was a mess that's why it got ECM with 4 energy hardpoints and one ballistic. You cant maintain the speed needed to be a light mech hunter. So most people use it as a ER Large laser sniper. However since most of them snipe from more than 660 meters away it not really a threat until late in the game when everyone is damaged from combat and the Cicada is the only thing left. There is not much you can do with it your looking at 33.5 tons for a full weapons package ER large, 3 m laser, AC 2 add in ECM a 225 xl eng. AMS, Ammo. 8.5 for armor max with endo and FF. Huge investment for little payoff.

X5 all I have to say about it is save your money and buy a Jenner JR7-D close to the same hardpoints with JJ and lasers in the arms that can do a full 90 up or down for cool jump jet shots.

#51 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:52 AM

View PostDavers, on 17 April 2014 - 08:15 PM, said:

Really? The one thing I NEVER seem to lose is my arms. I don't find they shield anything.

Torso twist more?

I find they save my torso a lot of punishment, particularly against missiles, strikes, and running between cover (when my side is facing the enemy). I also don't need to fully armor the arms, so I can get an extra ton for something else (Heat Sink, ammo, or weapons)

#52 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:02 AM

View PostCurccu, on 18 April 2014 - 03:47 AM, said:

Well Cicada 3M with dual peeps and pilot who knows how to play it usually out damages most other mediums in the game

It's a cheese build and I hate seeing it but it is damned effective if people don't do anything about it. The colder the map, the more deadly it becomes.

View PostMystere, on 18 April 2014 - 06:30 AM, said:

Not really. You're actually opening up the team comps. What's more, if your team takes a CDA-3M, you'll end up with 4 Lights with ECM cover and force the other team to shirk weight on their Medium in response to your bug.

View Post3rdworld, on 18 April 2014 - 08:04 AM, said:

Again, I'd disagree. With the exception of the 3C, the Cicada is better than the Raven 2X and 4X and the Jenner Oxide. :unsure: Seriously though, having ECM cover for the Light group isn't horrible and it makes for a great picket build.

View PostCorbon Zackery, on 18 April 2014 - 08:48 AM, said:

No one but me really knows how to run a cicada successfully. The Cicada is a light mech hunter. Your job is to keep the pesky lights off the main force and you can do that very successfully with speeds up to 147kph with speed tweek.

Easy on the ego there, bud! But, you are correct in that there is a more appropriate way of running a Cicada than how people do it these days. The Cicada is a Light Defense mech and is not a Light mech. People that get that confused often end up dead in a hurry. Stay back and snipe where possible and defend the group when needed. The lack of JJs hurt and it's size makes it an easy target. Play it smart, though, and the Bug can be down right nasty.

#53 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:02 AM

View PostBront, on 18 April 2014 - 08:52 AM, said:

Torso twist more?

I find they save my torso a lot of punishment, particularly against missiles, strikes, and running between cover (when my side is facing the enemy). I also don't need to fully armor the arms, so I can get an extra ton for something else (Heat Sink, ammo, or weapons)

Hey! I do torso twist! sometimes. But even with 12 points of armor I rarely lose them. They are just so tiny!

#54 3rdworld

• 3,562 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:10 AM

View PostDavers, on 18 April 2014 - 08:07 AM, said:

But other mechs are more versatile? :unsure:

Probably not, but if you are building a mech for a specific purpose, there is something that can do it better.

2ERLL + ECM cicada - Raven 3L is better
Medium Laser Cicada- Jenner or Firestarter is better
MG Cicada - Ember is better

Its one unique build that it actually is good for is the 2 PPC cicada. So if I were going to run one, that is where I would go.

#55 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:15 AM

View Post3rdworld, on 18 April 2014 - 09:10 AM, said:

Probably not, but if you are building a mech for a specific purpose, there is something that can do it better.

Its one unique build that it actually is good for is the 2 PPC cicada. So if I were going to run one, that is where I would go.

3D speaks the truth. You can put 2 PPCs on a Firestarter or a Jenner but they're both in the arms which makes them vulnerable. And, you can't mount as big an engine and/or JJs plus heat sinks. For one thing (or 2 if you count ECM on the 3M - Raven still does it better), the Cicada does do that better.

#56 Nathan Foxbane

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:29 AM

View PostEcrof, on 17 April 2014 - 12:40 PM, said:

What 3 Cicadas sholud I buy and in what order? I already have Locusts comandos Spiders and Ravens. I don't like that the jenner can't spread damage and has tunnel vision. :unsure:

The Cicada definitely has a wider field of view with its warp around cockpit. Cicadas can pack more punch, but many of the best loadouts are similar to Jenners. As a starter I recommend the 2B, because it does have arm mounted weapons, though the 2A is the definitive Cicada. After either of those the 3M, because of its ECM. The 3C is a difficult 'Mech to configure, but by no means a bad ride and should be saved for last. If you like the Cicadas enough the X-5 is an exceptional 'Mech and the lack of AMS is not as bad as it might first appear.

#57 poopenshire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 684 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:46 AM

3C

ok this one is tricky but can be fun. If your part of a team or drop in lances this mech makes a fun fire suppression mech.

I load mine up with 2 x AC2 and tons of ammo. I also add a med laser for fun. But the twin AC2 allows this mech to scare other mechs off. I am not talking about scanning and seeing the loadout. I mean the fact you can place quite a few AC rounds into a target from long range. Most players after about 4 to 5 AC rounds to the CT tend to back up or hide for cover. Most, not all. This comes in handy if you got some mediums or heavies trying to flank or push on you. Use that barrage of AC fire to make someone think there are more and bigger mechs around than they can see.

#58 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:52 AM

View Post3rdworld, on 18 April 2014 - 09:10 AM, said:

4MPL build or Gauss build it does better than any other ECM Mech.

#59 Nunspa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shujin
  • 236 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMiami

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:59 AM

View PostMystere, on 17 April 2014 - 12:59 PM, said:

I actually like them, especially the 3M, if played like a light. Unfortunately, 3/3/3/3 will make them a part of the "Unwanted".

except, it wont....

if you want a "light lace" you need the fastest medium in the bunch... and for now, that's the Cicada

#60 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:13 AM

Shadowhawks are by far the best medium IMHO, however I have Mastered and do really enjoy running my 3M and 3C. 3M is just ECM and 4MLs, AMS, and an MG,
3C is 4x MG and an ERLL, good for poking stuff and fun to use, but arguably not as effective.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users