Instead Of The 3V3V3V3 Bs... What Was Wrong With The Old System Of Matching 1 To 1?

Gameplay

29 replies to this topic

#1 Foxfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:21 PM

If you are going to go with a fixed system of matching class to class.. why not allow for dynamic matching of classes instead of fixed? This will give more flexibility to what you can actually launch with without having a long wait time... guarantee class balance... and most importantly doesn't force people out of mechs they want to pilot.

IMO, 1 to 1 matching for weight class wasn't a bad system.. and a hell of a lot better than random system we have now.. and much less restrictive than the proposed system.

Under that system I knew that if I could hunt down my 'counterpart', that I at least contributed the minimum expected to me for the match and that anything extra was butter.

*edits to add* this also makes for variable gameplay because you arn't facing the same matchup time after time.

#2 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:51 PM

PGI and many players felt that heavier mechs were overrepresented in most battles. That's my take anyway.

#3 AntiCitizenJuan

• 1,440 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:00 PM

Its gonna happen,
Its not gonna change

In the long run, Its going to change how the game is played and I'm starting to think thats a good thing.

#4 andracen

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:18 PM

So won't everyone just play the best of the heaviest in each class? If someone takes up a medium slot with a cicada won't you be hurting if the guy on the other team is in an shadow hawk?

#5 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:26 PM

View Postandracen, on 17 April 2014 - 09:18 PM, said:

So won't everyone just play the best of the heaviest in each class? If someone takes up a medium slot with a cicada won't you be hurting if the guy on the other team is in an shadow hawk?

Thats what they say.

But the reality will probably be different. Cataphracts and Jagermechs are not the heaviest of their class, but will be well fielded. I am sure Highlanders, Stalkers, and even Battlemasters will not go extinct overnight either. Shadowhawks and Griffons are pretty popular, but so are Centurions, Cicadas, and Blackjacks.

#6 GreyGriffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • LocationQuatre Belle (originally from Lum)

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:58 PM

While I like the idea of mixed class play, they could just do it by making 'mechs other than Heavies and Assaults actually good for something.

#7 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:26 AM

View PostGreyGriffin, on 17 April 2014 - 09:58 PM, said:

While I like the idea of mixed class play, they could just do it by making 'mechs other than Heavies and Assaults actually good for something.

How can they do that in a game where a Victor can run just as fast as a Hunchback while carrying more armour and a heavier payload?

#8 Ovion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:39 AM

I honestly think they should have implemented a 2-4 system:
Min 2 of each class, but no more than 4 of each class.

So you could potentially end up with 4 assaults, and 4 lights, with 2 medium, 2 heavy.
This would ensure a relatively even spread, each class represented, and stop things like 5-8 assaults in a match.
But, 4x3 is what they've decided on, and what we'll be getting.

Should be fine tbh, if a little annoying for those who want to drop as all lights, or all catapults, etc, as a 4man.
And no more of the comedy that is 6 lights in a pack.

#9 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:44 AM

1 to 1 matching wasn't bad for balance BUT this game would be still 9-10 assault mechs a game(for each side), which is not cool IMO.

#10 Charons Little Helper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:46 AM

View PostOvion, on 18 April 2014 - 03:39 AM, said:

And no more of the comedy that is 6 lights in a pack.

3 lights and 3 cicadas (or 3 135kph trebs or cents for that matter) can do the light wolfpack pretty well.

#11 xCico

• WC 2018 Gold Champ
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:49 AM

Im looking forward to see more mediums and lights on field, cant wait for 3/3/3/3

#12 East Indy

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationPacifica Training School, waiting for BakPhar shares to rise

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:02 AM

1. One-to-one matching has similar dependency on player volume as 3/3/3/3; in some cases, worse. If team after team fields 8 or more assaults -- common during the weekend -- players in lighter 'Mechs will either wait endlessly for matchups that won't be requested because those weights aren't being played, or simply be the counterpart for a much heavier 'Mechs, which already happens all the time.

2. No one will be forced out of playing; they may need to wait longer. A decade in since Halo 2's matchmaker breakthrough, wait times are simply part of the bargain.

3. Many of us already are facing the same matchup repeatedly. Not only do disproportionate numbers of assaults influence how a team maneuvers (i.e., slowly) but they limit what players can and want to do with such staggering weight on each side. When players have freedom of movement and don't face the constant risk of rounding a corner into half a dozen assaults, games get much more energetic.

#13 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:08 AM

3/3/3/3 might be an end for MWO, wait 5 mins to lose/win in a stomp game in about 3 (half of that is running to the position), which is not fun for both sides.

#14 Charons Little Helper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:13 AM

View Postkapusta11, on 18 April 2014 - 04:08 AM, said:

3/3/3/3 might be an end for MWO, wait 5 mins to lose/win in a stomp game in about 3 (half of that is running to the position), which is not fun for both sides.

Why would that happen more in 3/3/3/3 than now? (less - because at least tonnages will be close)

#15 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:27 AM

Stomps happen now. Stomps happened when they did weight class balancing. Stomps will happen with 3/3/3/3. Stomps happened when it was 8v8. Stomps happen in games with respawns. Stomps would happen if we got rid of pinpoint damage as well. It's not about removing stomps.

#16 xCico

• WC 2018 Gold Champ
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:31 AM

About stomps, you cant get rid of that no matter what you do, if your team dont know what do and running arround, fooling, and other team is staying together and organized pushing your team, it will be a stomp...

#17 LowSubmarino

• Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:35 AM

View PostDavers, on 18 April 2014 - 03:26 AM, said:

How can they do that in a game where a Victor can run just as fast as a Hunchback while carrying more armour and a heavier payload?

Yeah, hard to argue with that point. But I have to admit that whenever I see a Hunchback going up against me Im hardly worried. They're not very good mechs and compared to let's say the Shadowhawk they lack in mobility, hitboxes, speed, etc.

#18 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:34 AM

The issue came from power creep.. And it's really that simple.

Why play a light/medium when you can play a Heavy/Assault, have more weapons, more armor and in the case of a heavy, comparable speed to a medium.

So players, instinctively gravitated towards the heavier classes of mechs because, well, frankly, it's easier to play that way and you have more weaponry/armor/options at your disposal.

I understand the desire for freedom, the desire to play whatever you want. That freedom is still there. PGI isn't taking away any options. If anything they're making this a hard locked option to increase the viability of the game. No more 4 man tryhard assault lances...

If a lance was forced to have at least 1 of each weightclass... you would see a more varried loadout on the field, and I fail to see how that's a bad thing. Sure in a few months we'll see the "Dominant meta mechs in each weight class." and that's what we'll see on the field, but atleast we'll know we're always going to be fighting a similar structured group of enemy's, instead of the derp, random as heck system we have now where you could end up in a mach with a majority of assaults vs a majority of lights...

I really don't see what the big fuss is over this considering it's actively a step in the positive direction by PGI for once.

#19 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:46 AM

View Postoneda, on 18 April 2014 - 04:35 AM, said:

Yeah, hard to argue with that point. But I have to admit that whenever I see a Hunchback going up against me Im hardly worried. They're not very good mechs and compared to let's say the Shadowhawk they lack in mobility, hitboxes, speed, etc.

The Hunchback has some qualities that the Shadowhawks can't match, such as phenomenal arm range, but it's the hunch that kills it. Having a large target that can be easily hit from every angle, which removes 2/3 of it's hard points, is too big a drawback. It's why they don't have artists design military vehicles- what looks good on paper may be very impractical in actual use (See: Chainmail Bikini).

#20 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:51 AM

View Postandracen, on 17 April 2014 - 09:18 PM, said:

Well you would think that all mechs would be Atlas, Highlander, Victor, and Stalker now while there are no restrictions. Yet we still see other mechs. Certainly there will be some "bad" choices for each weight class but in general most mechs seem good enough to take for pug purposes.

Edited by Rouken, 18 April 2014 - 05:51 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users