- - - - -

Which Light Hero Mech?

31 replies to this topic

#1 sirjj

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:17 PM

I just discovered I like light mechs better and I always do really good with them. I would like to buy a hero light mech which is the best? Firestart Jenner Raven? I'm looking to use a mix of lasers and the machine gun which I have never used.Thanks.

Edited by sirjj, 18 April 2014 - 12:16 AM.

#2 Turist0AT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:49 PM

I can only speak for Firestarter (dont have the hero). But oh my god, what a fun and deadly machinese. More than recommend them.

Sniper light bennefit from ECM and Jump Jets, FS9 dont have ECM.

Cicada looks like it could be a good sniper. it got ecm and more tonnage to play with but no JJ.

Other ECM mechs: Spider-5D and Raven-3L.

Ive seen ppl in sniper Ravens with 2LL, but it didnt have the speed to get away from my FS9. So speed might become a problem when trying to pack sniper weapons.

Edited by Turist0AT, 18 April 2014 - 12:08 AM.

#3 sirjj

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:17 AM

View PostTurist0AT, on 17 April 2014 - 11:49 PM, said:

I can only speak for Firestarter (dont have the hero). But oh my god, what a fun and deadly machinese. More than recommend them.

Sniper light bennefit from ECM, FS9 dont have it. Why do you wana snipe with a light? Sniper weapons will make you slow. If you are fast you dont need to hide from the enemy and snipe them, just run in there and kill one or two with shots to his back.

Cicada looks like it could be a good sniper. it got ecm and more tonnage to play with.

Forgot one thing: Jump Jets are a must on snipers.

I guess i dind't mean

View PostTurist0AT, on 17 April 2014 - 11:49 PM, said:

Sniper light bennefit from ECM and Jump Jets, FS9 dont have ECM.

Cicada looks like it could be a good sniper. it got ecm and more tonnage to play with but no JJ.

Other ECM mechs: Spider-5D and Raven-3L.

Ive seen ppl in sniper Ravens with 2LL, but it didnt have the speed to get away from my FS9. So speed might become a problem when trying to pack sniper weapons.

Sorry I said that wrong, what is your firestarter build? Forget the sniper part

Edited by sirjj, 18 April 2014 - 12:17 AM.

#4 Turist0AT

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:26 AM

I run mostly close range builds.

FS9-H: [when im not running 2xAC2] 3MPL and 3SPL (Firepower 28.2). XL275 + 6 Jump jets
FS9-S: 7ML(Firepower 25). Dual AMS w/ 3ton ammo, XL295, 2JJ
FS9-K: 8SPL(Firepower 27.2) 2JJ XL295

Max speed on XL295 ~150Km/h when mastered.

Did try one PPC build. But i took so many shots to do decent damage, and speed was lowered.

Yeah sorry about that, i edit allot :)

Edited by Turist0AT, 18 April 2014 - 12:49 AM.

#5 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:33 AM

The Ember is the only one useful right now -- to the point of being very popular with competitive teams. The others are either based on a generally weak mech (Death's Knell), or force a weak, ammo-dependant loadout (Oxide, Huginn).

Edited by Modo44, 18 April 2014 - 12:34 AM.

#6 Turist0AT

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:38 AM

Are machine guns that good that everyone is falling in love with ballistic lights?

#7 Veranova

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 542 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:55 AM

Firestarter-Ember is by far the best Light Hero 'Mech.

Huggins and Oxide, are both collectors items, but the Ember will earn you some serious money! And a Deaths Knell is basically half of an Ember anyway.
4 Medium lasers and 4 Machine guns, you won't look back!

Edited by Veranova, 18 April 2014 - 12:56 AM.

#8 Edustaja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:58 AM

The Ember is on par with other better lights like the Jenner F and the rest of the Firestarters.

I would not say that it's objectively better than those, just slightly different.

The other light hero mechs are however more or less either gimmicks or otherwise lack-luster.

For a loadout go for something like this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0d3b71196dc481b

You can tweak it to your tastes, but the basic gist of it is 4 medium lasers and 4 machine guns. Runs cool and fast.

Edited by Edustaja, 18 April 2014 - 01:12 AM.

#9 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:03 AM

Ember best light Hero

#10 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:11 AM

View PostTurist0AT, on 18 April 2014 - 12:38 AM, said:

Are machine guns that good that everyone is falling in love with ballistic lights?

Not on their own, but they are when combined with 4 MLs and decent armor. The Ember can do what the MG Spider struggles with -- opening up armor on its own for the MGs to do work.

#11 MisterPlanetarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 910 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:06 AM

The Ember(Firestarter) Is by far the best of the light mech heroes.

It needs either a 280XL or a 295XL to run smoothly. I prefer the slightly smaller engine to leave room for all the equipment and to fill out all your hardpoints.

#12 Jabilo

• Philanthropist
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:09 AM

Ember is the "best" light hero (if you are focused on competitive performance). It's also amazing fun so it comes highly recommended.

Huginn is garbage (imo) and Oxide is a one trick pony.

However the Deaths Knell is serious fun. This bad boy does 171 kph with speed tweak and packs a good armament of 4 x medium lasers.

It is not as competitive as the Ember and requires Speed Tweak (i.e. you need to level two other Commando variants) but it is hilarious and you can pull some good games in it.

Deaths Knell is one of my favourite mechs (and I have fully mastered over 50 mechs).

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0daad2d6183ba31

But yeah, if you have to pick one mech then Ember all the way.

Edited by Jabilo, 18 April 2014 - 02:10 AM.

#13 Motörhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 262 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:33 AM

Ember with 4 MG and 4 MLAS is the best, and there's also space for AMS. By far the best light.

#14 Zelumbras

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:27 AM

from my point of view:

DEATH'S KNELL Nano-Atlas:
Can be everywhere anytime while running circles around all other lights except for the Locusts. with 2x Basics, the mech and even more so the arms respond nearly instant, allowing you to bring your damage exactly where it is needed. When you get used to the speed and arms, it is a very fun little mech to pilot. You are not a knight in a shining armor, you are not an assassin with a dagger; you are a swift blade dancing in the wind that magically finds their weak spots <_<
+ fastest mech on the field
+ near instant arm movement -> allows for incredible accuracy with the lasers
0 can spread damage well but looses half its firepower with an arm
0 requires a lot of training but can be very rewarding to pilot
- very little armor
- low damage

EMBER common optimized build:
Judging solely from its hardpoints, it seems like a far superior Death's Knell with more armor, the added MGs and jumpjets. But it responds a lot more sluggish and has trouble aiming up or down. But when you get behind an enemy mech and get a chance to work the MGs, it pumps out crazy dps against open armor sections.
+ good mobility with jumpjets
+ massive dps against open components
+ good armor and can spread damage well
- relatively easy to hit
- requires practice in converging torso and arm weapons
- has trouble aiming up or down with the MGs

OXIDE Lighthunter:
The Oxide is an odd mech and usually a one trick pony. It can either be the bane of lights with SSRM, hunt down Assaults with SRM (hurray for the recent fixes :)) or do fire support with LRMs. It can be a lot of fun to play but there will also be matches where you can't really do anything because of your specialized build.
0 good armor but tends to get hit a lot in the CT unless you pack mostly SRMs and twist between shots
0 does a ton of damage but cannot focus it very well
0 usually rather specialized builds
- mediocre mobility compared to the other lights with neither exceptional speed nor JJs
- only ammo dependent weapons

HUGINN MG / SSRM:
The only Light hero that i don't own myself so i can only judge from the layout and from what i see in matches frequently.
+ good mobility with Jumpjets
+ very high dps against open components
+ arm mounted MGs and torso Streaks -> no convergence problems
+ good armor and not as easy to hit
- only ammo dependent weapons
- can not focus damage very well

Conclusion:
Death'S Knell: less damage and armor than the others but if you have good aim and piloting skills, you can make each point of damage count twice when you hit them exactly where you need to.
Take it when: you enjoy being everywhere at any time hitting them where it hurts

EMBER: arguably the most powerful of the lights that moves and fires more like a fast and agile medium than a light.
Take it when: you enjoy coring an Atlas in 10 seconds from behind

OXIDE: powerful but specialized. using log on weapons like LRMs or Streaks requires you to show them your CT for extended periods of time.
Take it when: you hate Spiders and ECM Ravens or simply want to do something different once in a while

HUGINN: seems more diffiult to use effectively at the start of a battle but gets a lot more powerful later on when more mechs have exposed components.
Take it when: difficult to say since i don't own one myself

Edited by Vulcan888, 18 April 2014 - 03:32 AM.

#15 Kinski Orlawisch

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationHH

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:08 AM

Vulcan. Nice work.
I just can add that I prefer to circel around and keep on moving with the Oxide. When you use Streaks, you also need a Beagel and 4t ammo. So no mx engine. But make him as fast as possibel, that other lights can t outrun you. Shoot the streaks together when you make Hit and run. Shoot them in chain whern you circel or you hunt another light. Than he gets this nice shakes and moving/aiming bekomes very hard for him. Moduls are Extended sensor range, targeting decay and 360 degree target Retention. Once locked..hard to loose. Best is to Combine 1 Oxide as hunter with one Jenner D one Ember and one Spider with ECM. Sometimes it is better to have 2 ECM. This is a realy bad Wolfpack. Pick one enemy after the other...ist terribel how fast this Team can rip everything apart.

#16 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:24 AM

View PostTurist0AT, on 18 April 2014 - 12:38 AM, said:

It's fun, problem is i often get too preoccupied with it.

#17 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:40 AM

ember!!

AC/5
4 ML
XL245

I have the most fun with this mech.

I will agree with the negative that the up/down torso movement limitation can often get you in trouble but you learn to deal.

I also think it needs an elite level so you can get the speed boost with the 245. i think its 113 without and 124 with?

Edited by Bigbacon, 18 April 2014 - 05:44 AM.

#18 Pyro Pete Sanchez

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:40 AM

I absolutely LOVE the Ember. The biggest problems it has are the abysmal pitch for the torso weapons, and how much fun it is to chew up components. The bad pitch means that you can't get too close to an enemy or you lose the ability to aim your machine guns at either their side torso or legs (depending on how tall they are). The problem with it being too much fun is that you'll end up over-pursuing (I do, at least). You'll look up over your fresh kill and realize you've just ran into the middle of the enemy team. If you have the self-control to not chase injured heavies too far, you'll have a blast.

The Oxide doesn't give me that problem. Just load it up with streaks and start the hit-and-run madness. You lose maneuverability from not having jump jets, but if you know the maps, you can find the trails up and down the hills to make up for it. It's a ton of fun to find an enemy that's engaged, lock on while running towards them (from behind, of course), fire the streaks at about 150 m, and take off running at an angle (still behind them). If you can distract them for just a second, your bigger buddies can often get the upper hand. They won't tell you, but they love that crap.

#19 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:47 AM

View PostPyro Pete Sanchez, on 18 April 2014 - 05:40 AM, said:

The problem with it being too much fun is that you'll end up over-pursuing (I do, at least). You'll look up over your fresh kill and realize you've just ran into the middle of the enemy team. If you have the self-control to not chase injured heavies too far, you'll have a blast.

lol, I do the same thing all the time! either that or I pursue the lone heavy to only get jumped by another light and I suck at fighting off other fast lights.

#20 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:12 AM

View Postsirjj, on 17 April 2014 - 11:17 PM, said:

I just discovered I like light mechs better and I always do really good with them. I would like to buy a hero light mech which is the best? Firestart Jenner Raven? I'm looking to use a mix of lasers and the machine gun which I have never used.Thanks.

If you're looking for a Hero light (not just any light) I'd recommend the Ember (Firestarter) over either the Oxide (Jenner) or the Huginn (Raven).

It's got better utility and isn't entirely ammo dependent.

If you want lasers and machineguns, the Ember is your mech. 4 ML, 4 MG. Go forth and prosper.

Edited by Ghost Badger, 18 April 2014 - 07:12 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users